• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

Crawl

While that is a possibility, I doubt that it will happen. I think there is a reason why we haven't seen the registry apps for the vanilla versions of both AC and AA touched.
The update of Bioshock 2 made me see the reason for this.

So if I own both vanilla AA and AC, if gfwl gets ripped out i'll likely be upgraded to goty edition for free?

EDIT: Has rockstar commented what they will do with GTA 4?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While that is a possibility, I doubt that it will happen. I think there is a reason why we haven't seen the registry apps for the vanilla versions of both AC and AA touched.
The update of Bioshock 2 made me see the reason for this.

I never said it was probable, just that it'd be nice. If WB does go the predictable route, though, I intend to e-mail it a scan of my retail vanilla Asylum key and purchase receipt to aid in my plea for a Steam key... and before you say anything, yes, I realise this would be unlikely to bear any fruit. ;) I have to try!

Nope.

Grief.exe

So if I own both vanilla AA and AC, if gfwl gets ripped out i'll likely be upgraded to goty edition for free?

That is what happened with Bioshock 2, since, technically you could have purchased the DLC through the GFWL store. There is no way to efficiently track that purchase, Microsoft does not issue keys for DLC purchased on their store.

The registry entries for vanilla AA and AC going completely untouched would corroborate that.

Nope.

Crawl

We know capcom will take care of SF4 users, but what about their back catalog of GFWL games? I bring this up because there is a huge Steam sale of capcom titles with gfwl on them.

Doopliss

Sorry if it's been answered somewhere: Do these updates mean non-Steam copies of these games will be able to be activated on Steam? I have a boxed version of AC and I'd love to never need to worry about the disc again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry if it's been answered somewhere: Do these updates mean non-Steam copies of these games will be able to be activated on Steam? I have a boxed version of AC and I'd love to never need to worry about the disc again.

We don't know at this stage as it's entirely up to the publisher and the registry doesn't offer such information.

Grief.exe

2K hit the ball out of the park with the Minerva's Den addition to existing Bioshock 2 owners and allowing retail activation of existing copies.

I would be surprised if Warner did not do that, but then again, public companies sure are greedy. Of course, Warner wants to generate good will for their new game, Arkham Origins.

neoism

at this rate why even bother with AC.. the new batman game is coming in 2 weeks.... they just took waaaaaaaay too long.

chupon

It would sure be nice to get both existing Arkham games off GFWL. I finished them to completion as far as story goes. I never did finish all the challenges with 3 medals, but I'm not one that cares about my gamerscore so much that I'll freak out if I lose access to two games' achievements.

At this point removing GFWL from these titles far outweighs any potential loss of obtaining achievements.

neoism

It would sure be nice to get both existing Arkham games off GFWL. I finished them to completion as far as story goes. I never did finish all the challenges with 3 medals, but I'm not one that cares about my gamerscore so much that I'll freak out if I lose access to two games' achievements.

At this point removing GFWL from these titles far outweighs any potential loss of obtaining achievements.

definitely I just got really burnt... I beat the game the first time on easy and then got the DLC skins and the one you can play as Robin.. and my save got fuck.... after I had to rebeat it again on normal just to use the skins -_-... and never even got to play the dlc.. :( so I dont even have the GOTY edition anyway... but it really shouldn't have taken this long..

Does anyone know how much RockSteady had to do with the new game coming.....

Grief.exe

at this rate why even bother with AC.. the new batman game is coming in 2 weeks.... they just took waaaaaaaay too long.

Games still generate revenue on the platform decades after they are released. There is still a reason to patch out GFWL from AC/AA.

I'm playing through arkham asylum in preparation for AO, and I noticed that yeah, the steam achievements are listed on the steam UI, but can't be unlocked in game yet. Oh well.

Grief.exe

I'm playing through arkham asylum in preparation for AO, and I noticed that yeah, the steam achievements are listed on the steam UI, but can't be unlocked in game yet. Oh well.

Bioshock 2 was the same way. The developers activated the achievements along time ago for internal testing, but did not unlock them until the patch went out.

Has GFWL stopped working for arkham assylum? I can't connect to live on my PC with it.

Not sure if it's a localized issue. It signs me in offline, basically.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I wanted to replay AC before Origins came out but it's probably for the best that, like an assassin's creed game, I don't burn myself out of the formula before the new game comes out.

Grief.exe

Yeah I wanted to replay AC before Origins came out but it's probably for the best that, like an assassin's creed game, I don't burn myself out of the formula before the new game comes out.

Derrick, you are so weird man.

You complain about dumbing down and homogenization, but then play the AC series and do not play Indie games.

Just makes no sense.

SteamPlay version. (Feral is a Mac port house)

I figured.

If they are deploying the full update, GFWL patch will probably roll out with it.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, you are so weird man.

You complain about dumbing down and homogenization, but then play the AC series and do not play Indie games.

Just makes no sense.

I mean that's how I used to view it with the AC games. I'm not getting 4 unless I can get it for free on a b2g1 sale or some other way. I'm done spending money on that series after the embarrassment that AC3 was.

Indies...don't even get me started on them again. I'll go all day ranting about them.

Booted up this AC to play some as a refresher for Origins. Man.....I am still awesome at the combat. It's just so damn good. The gameplay videos of Origins doesn't really do it justice. In fact, whoever they have demoing the game actually kind of sucks. lol. I want to see if some of the advanced moves are still in there like the ability to vault off enemies, disarming weapons,etc.

Also them talking about the "new" shock gloves...weren't they introduced in the WiiU version of AC?

More on topic. So why are people waiting till they remove GFWL from Arkham City to replay it? I thought that it had both Live and Steam achievements unlockable?

solarus

I mean that's how I used to view it with the AC games. I'm not getting 4 unless I can get it for free on a b2g1 sale or some other way. I'm done spending money on that series after the embarrassment that AC3 was.

Indies...don't even get me started on them again. I'll go all day ranting about them.
You know, this is by far the worst of your many generalisations.

Grief.exe

All of the depots they are patching are related to Mac depots

The depot numbers are along the left side, and correspond to Mac depots, example: Mac_Binaries

tThxLxP.png

Grief.exe

This change just went through for the AA GOTY registry app

8 minutes ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
8 minutes ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
8 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp35010\SteamKey
8 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry

Same change went through for AC GOTY several months ago. Both GFWL and Securom require a key in your Windows Registry and GFWL necessitates a key on launch.

Grief.exe

I have to head out for class, but I will keep my eye on this.

Most likely, patch will go out tomorrow in conjunction with a weekend deal on Steam, all promoting Arkham Origins release next week.

Grief.exe

If this happens, I'm going to do a Batman marathon this weekend.

This always happens!

I'm literally on the brink of finishing BioShock 2, Tomb Raider, and SMTIV.

Now I get Hearthstone and AA/AC GFWL removal the same week!

I've been waiting to play AC for a long, long time.

Top Bottom