• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

Anyone have Amazon 5 dollar credit that they are not going to use? I wanna get TWD, I can paypal you in advance. Thanks.

chixdiggit

Just need to remind everyone to buy Natural Selection 2 while it's still on sale. Game is seriously under hyped.

Also, are the Steam christmas pics available as wallpapers anywhere?

Juice

Seeing as I've put 10 hours into Sleeping Dogs in two days I'm GLAD to have paid $16. I don't get that much love out of most games I pay more for.

Reminds me of a sort of a well-implemented Yakuza.

I'm actually thinking of picking up the DLC while it's on slight discount just b/c I like the game so much.

Edit: or not... Sigh. I thought it was in the encore? WTF?

Seeing as I've put 10 hours into Sleeping Dogs in two days I'm GLAD to have paid $16. I don't get that much love out of most games I pay more for.

Reminds me of a sort of a well-implemented Yakuza.

I'm actually thinking of picking up the DLC while it's on slight discount just b/c I like the game so much.

Edit: or not... Sigh. I thought it was in the encore? WTF?
Nope, it was yesterdays or friday's sale that ended at 10am today.

I just realized that I missed all the Scribblenauts Unlimited sales... And the current lowest price is Gamestop for $15...

Would someone be selling a Steam key from the $8 Amazon's sale?

dreamfall

Damn, really wish Dead Space collection went on sale. Garry, it just wasn't meant to be- maybe before DS III comes out?

All in all, a fun sale. Certainly not that great, and repeats everywhere, but it'll be difficult to wait until June for the next one. Will there be something earlier?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn, really wish Dead Space collection went on sale. Garry, it just wasn't meant to be- maybe before DS III comes out?

All in all, a fun sale. Certainly not that great, and repeats everywhere, but it'll be difficult to wait until June for the next one. Will there be something earlier?

There may be one or two publisher weeks in the six-odd months between now and the Summer Sale, but that's it. Thus far there hasn't been a Spring Sale.

Sober

I remember when it was just the first 2 frames and I suggested the third one. Why didn't I do the photoshop? I could've been famous!
9U9Ic.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JC2 is tempting...but it's still among my PS3 backlog!
Gimme a reason to add it to my PC backlog GAF

You can surf on jets. And tether people to the back of jeeps and drag them. And drive trucks down the sides of mountains.

Probably the most fun sandbox game ever and beautiful on PC. Everyone should own JC2.

JaseC

Anyone know if there is a way to take a screenshot for a non steam game even if it doesn't use the overlay?

You can use FRAPS. The free version restricts screenshots to BMPs, which are quite large in regard to file size, but you can simply open them in Paint and save them as JPGs.

You can use FRAPS. The free version restricts screenshots to BMPs, which are quite large in regard to file size, but you can simply open them in Paint and save them as JPGs.

I worded my question wrong. Is there a way to get screenshots to appear for non steam games that have no overlay?[in detail view]

JaseC

I worded my question wrong. Is there a way to get screenshots to appear for non steam games that have no overlay?[in detail view]

Go to Steam\userdata[account id]\760\remote\. Are there any folders that are named with an abnormally large number, such as 13445545521326325760?

JaseC

What Steam does is that it assigns non-Steam games a particularly long random id (so as to make them distinct from actual Steam games), which is used to create a folder in the aforementioned directory wherein the screenshots folder resides, which itself is where Steam pulls its detail view background images from. I just ran a quick test and it seems that Steam only creates the folders when it needs to (i.e. when a file needs to be saved, such as when you take a screenshot with the overlay). You can try creating a screenshots folder in the directories yourself, putting in it JPGs with the file name format of year-month-day_xxxxx.jpg (e.g. 2013-01-07_00001.jpg for the first screenshot) and see if that works, but I'd wager none of them refer to your non-Steam game that lacks overlay support.

To make a long story short, I believe you're out of luck. Alternatively, you can switch to Grid View and assign the game an image from wherever you please.

esai

so i bought all the dlc for sleeping dogs during the price glitch. i was wondering which ones were he cheat ones that i shouldn't activate?

JaseC

On the other hand, it's Counter Strike.

So kill it with fire, and then kill yourself.

Edit: Unless you like Counter Strike. Then I don't like you.

:(

so i bought all the dlc for sleeping dogs during the price glitch. i was wondering which ones were he cheat ones that i shouldn't activate?

Unless something has changed, you have no choice in the matter. The XP is automatically added to your character and the money envelopes automatically added to the game world.

Xamdou

Say I have Saints Row 3 already, but I want to get all the DLC for it. The cheapest way to get all the dlc is to get the Saints Row 3: The Full Package for $7.49. Will steam allow me to dl the game again PLUS all the dlc?

kennah

Unless something has changed, you have no choice in the matter. The XP is automatically added to your character and the money envelopes automatically added to the game world.
You could just not install them and leave it in inventory.

Really tempted to buy Counter Strike: GO, I don't know if it'll be $4.99 before the summer sale.

I can't bring myself to buy another counter strike game.

All those years rushing A or B, the clan wars, the forum battles, the hacking allegations ...

Great times... but I just can't go back there you know?

mneuro

I can't bring myself to buy another counter strike game.

All those years rushing A or B, the clan wars, the forum battles, the hacking allegations ...

Great times... but I just can't go back there you know?

If you are burnt out on CS classic or source, I really recommend at least checking out GO. I hadn't even played CS in 2 or 3 years because I was so burnt out on it....GO is refreshing.

That is exactly what I am scared of.

It's refreshing for a while, then that quickly wears off and you realize that your just playing counter strike with cool fire and smoke effects.

Then you get sad and realize just how bad Half Life 3 and the real Source 2 need to launch.

esai

well since i bought them on the mobile app and it said i already owned some dlc i just bought all as gift options.

Caerith

So, Spec Ops: The Line. I'll just quote the rec I wrote on the Steam page:

Spec Ops: The Line has been compared to both Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now. Having read the one and watched the other, I can say that, yes, there are some parallels in the plot. Some. But it is not an adaptation of either. It uses Conrad's story (yes, that reference was not lost on me), but it explores its own themes. You can't really say "tut tut, Heart of Darkness was better" without sounding as ridiculous as someone who claims that Picasso is better than Sesame Street.

I don't play a lot of dudebro shooters, so I can't tell you how the gunplay is or if the cover system is adequate. I played it on normal for the first half then switched to easy just to progress through some of the more difficult set pieces.

I can tell you that it's not a dudebro shooter. It's actually something of a storytelling masterpiece. I'm not saying it's the best story ever told, or the most masterful storytelling ever to grace video games. It is still very very good, though.

I played through Spec Ops in one sitting, a little under 7 hours. I missed a lot of the lore collectibles and will be revisiting the chapters to find them (most were obvious, I was probably just oblivious). I don't know how the multiplayer is, nor do I care. I'll probably never unlock the hardest difficulty. I don't care. It's one of the most thought-provoking games I've ever played.

Highly recommended.

Best game I have finished all year! And still $2.50 at Amazon for another three days (with EC coupon).

I remember when it was just the first 2 frames and I suggested the third one. Why didn't I do the photoshop? I could've been famous!
9U9Ic.gif

As good as FTL is (my game of the year...)

I think it needs one more panel.

ftl_thydcav.png

An expansion or DLC would be more than welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom