• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
503393.jpg

The most expensive anime ever made ($22 million dollars and 10 years in the making), Katsuhiro Otomo's (of Akira fame) Steamboy goes into its U.S. theatrical release today. Some of you have already seen it and gave it a thumbs-up, which is good.

The U.S. release will see your typical English dub, but this time around you have stars such as Anna Paquin, Alfred Molina, and Patrick Stewart lending their voicing talent.

Can't wait to view this one! :D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hopefully it will expand into Milwaukee next week. It is in Madison right now which is only an hour drive, but I have a real hard time driving anywhere to see a movie..

I'm thinking of going to see it, but I might just wait for the DVD... I'm not really one for dubs, but it'd be worth it if Patrick Stewart gets a lot of time :lol ..

Iceman

borghe said:
hopefully it will expand into Milwaukee next week. It is in Madison right now which is only an hour drive, but I have a real hard time driving anywhere to see a movie..

Wha?

Madison right now?

I'm going 2nite!

Jason

Saw this back in september. The story's a bit lacking but the action in the last half of the movie is top notch. Lots of cool gadgets and stuff too. :D

bloke

I think movie totally bombed in Japan, also heard critics about crap story, so I'm kinda not holding my breath.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
How the hell does a movie take 10 years to make? Did they have one guy doing the animation?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
tedtropy said:
How the hell does a movie take 10 years to make? Did they have one guy doing the animation?
Nah it's mostly storyboard work plus a huge break in between the original planning and the actual production commencing. Otomo is a fucking perfectionist - sometimes in a good sense, sometimes not :lol e.g. he only just finished the Akira manga a few years ago, took him yonks, and I am sure that right after Akira movie he was planning this one - not to mention all the story's he wrote for the Memories OVA.

But yeah, the storyline isn't that great, but the attention to detail and some of the CG mixed with traditional animation is done flawlessly. Definitely go see it just because of that. Actually I am a bit appalled that it took the US this long for it to start showing, usually we (Australia) have to wait for you guys then we get our stuff but I saw Steamboy in Sep/Oct.

kamikaze

just saw it tonight in SF. pretty good. story line was okay (nothing special but not horrible either) but the last ~30 minutes or so really helped make the whole experience worthwhile. i'm actually curious to hear the dubbed version as i could actually picture misters stewart and molina fitting the roles nicely.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
I saw Steamboy last night and I'd say the movie was just good. Well, average good is more like it. The story was slack and straightforward, and the characters were really one-sided, one-dimensional, and cliched (esp. Dr Lloyd, voiced by Patrick Stewart, who was the total epitome of morality in this piece). Some characters were more annoying than others (I point at Scarlett and Dr. Lloyd!), but the animation and CG effects were nice and all.

Steamboy is really action over plot and characters. I also felt the last 20 minutes got somewhat tiresome and exhausting since it was endless repetition of steam pipes bursting and exploding.

The English dubbing did its job alright, although I would have preferred the original Japanese dialogue. (I need to make a correction in that the U.S. version of Steamboy is being shown in both English dub and original Japanese dub....it just depends on the place that's showing it. Also to note is that the English dub version was trimmed-down by 15 minutes....which I find odd. So, if you see Steamboy, try to see it at a place that showing it in it's full Japanese, unedited 2-hour run-time form.)

Action fans will dig the latest from Katsuhiro Otomo. If you're going in expecting something different and deep, you won't find it here.

belgurdo

Banned
tedtropy said:
How the hell does a movie take 10 years to make?

Sup Thief and the Cobbler (30+ years of perfecting ruined swiftly by Disney. A very interesting story to read about actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom