• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamOS out now (beta)

Nzyme32

Desktop?

E43u2Fi.jpg

Quasar

Though I guess it was expected, I'm a bit bummed it has a full gnome desktop and all. I wanted something more inspirit to the optomised bsd for gaming that the ps4 has. Not rebadged debian with a steam client included.

Sophia

Very bizarre that they didn't prepare a torrent beforehand. At any rate, my download keeps getting cut off, so I'll be waiting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To install do I need to extract the data to a DVD, boot the disk during startup, and go from there?

I have a Dell Xeon with a Nvidia Quadro at work and I know this is not the typical gaming hardware. But I could play TF2 with Win7 and high settings @ >100fps. However, when I booted into Ubuntu and tried to play TF2 I had around 5 to 10 fps. I know this is based on missing drivers for GPU. Therefore I'm very interested which drivers are coming with this OS. For ATI & Nvidia? Maybe new Linuxdrivers? So exciting!

Gangxxter

To install do I need to extract the data to a DVD, boot the disk during startup, and go from there?
I guess so, what files are inside the zip archive?

Thanks! But the FAQ says 64bit CPU required?
(Actually it's not a big deal for me, just wanted to know which kind of VirtualBox I've to set up).

Use a usb stick.

who even has a disc drive anymore

NVidia only uuuughhh

rofl "There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE'''"

I have a Dell Xeon with a Nvidia Quadro at work and I know this is not the typical gaming hardware. But I could play TF2 with Win7 and high settings @ >100fps. However, when I booted into Ubuntu and tried to play TF2 I had around 5 to 10 fps. I know this is based on missing drivers for GPU. Therefore I'm very interested which drivers are coming with this OS. For ATI & Nvidia? Maybe new Linuxdrivers? So exciting!

ubuntu has a dialog for installing proprietary drivers in System Settings/Software & Updates/Additional Drivers

Top Bottom