• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamOS out now (beta)

jediyoshi

What is the point of this OS right now? It's unfinished, runs only a handful of games, doesn't support a wide range of hardware (yet), and erases everything on your computer (supposedly).

Love Steam and PC gaming, but this thing is pretty useless in its current state from what I've read so far.

Why try any incomplete software?

And oh god, I'd hope they wouldn't be lying in their own FAQ.

Zinthar

What is the point of this OS right now? It's unfinished, runs only a handful of games, doesn't support a wide range of hardware (yet), and erases everything on your computer (supposedly).

Love Steam and PC gaming, but this thing is pretty useless in its current state from what I've read so far.

Yeah, this is a true beta -- not even for hardcore PC gamers like myself.

I'm curious about how the performance of supported games compares to their performance in Windows. I think it eventually needs to match or exceed Windows performance to make SteamOS viable outside of use with steam boxes.

McSmiggins

Neo Member
Just remember it's early days, the only hardware this OS has to support at the moment is what they've shipped in the Steam boxes they've shipped out to testers. From the looks of it, we've just got the restore image for the Steamboxes, but because it's based on Debian there's plenty of room for people to put it all together. It like people trying to run Mac OS on non Apple hardware, you can put the drivers together yourself and someone will make the drivers for it.

The 1TB minimum does make sense if you consider what the purpose of the OS is, you need to download games to use it, It's a problem the real machines will never, run into because they'll all be physical machines (And it probably has some effect on partners who wanted to ship hard drives that are too small.

You can trick a VM into thinking it's got a 1TB drive though, just use "allocate on use" and the restore will probably grow the disk image to ~5-10GB max, I'm assuming you won't really be running games in it, since there's no graphics drivers, esp for a VM.

End of the day, it's Linux, by the morning there'll be 100 different guides for getting it up and running, I just want to see the options I've got for package repos and stuff, ideally I want my HTPC to run it, but I've got ~5TB of drives in there and I need to know I can get Plex running on it and it'll take over from Windows as soon as the streaming stuff is in.

kmg90

Well if Steam/Valve/Gaben worshipers are saying this what is going to compete with game consoles for living room gaming... But not having having 2 of 3 major graphics card manufactures supported in BETA... it has a LOONG way to go

A platform needs to have some marketplace presence and "waiting" to hop on board doesn't give developers the incentive to develop for said platform

abtom

Banned
Yeah, this is a true beta -- not even for hardcore PC gamers like myself.

I'm curious about how the performance of supported games compares to their performance in Windows. I think it eventually needs to match or exceed Windows performance to make SteamOS viable outside of use with steam boxes.

Performance comparison seems to be the only solid reason to install SteamOS right now. Valve did mention performance gains over Windows.

VanWinkle

I want to see screens and videos. I'm really interested in getting a Steam Machine at some point so SteamOS really interests me.

Nzyme32

Cheers guys.

Can't install if the "ERASE EVERYTHING GOD HELP YOU" disclaimer is accurate. I've got around 50GB blank space I can partition for a SteamOS drive, just to test some shit out. But I can't smoke Windows entirely.

I'm exactly the same, but as an added bonus, I have no UEFI support....... guess i'll check out the youtube vids later on!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have no idea what the source of that gif is. I literally just searched for ball punching gif in google.

Ironic that it is relevant to video games.

It's not, but Johnny Cage does the exact same thing to Goro in the first movie.

Jeesus Christ Superstar what an overly complicated way to roll out an OS that should simplify gaming on a pc.

Only issue I have is that it isn't rolled out as an ISO. Extracting to a USB drive, I hope that actually works for this. This is still better than the early days of Linux...

Gangxxter

Lol, the 500GB system requirement completely prevents me from testing SteamOS. I have only 1,5 TB in my machine and I have hardly any space left.

Nzyme32

Its a beta. By definition, it doesn't need to run on every system or have every game. It is unfinished and needs testing. With a competent knowledge of linux you can solve several problems yourself.

Jeez what were you expecting?

forrest

formerly nacire

Here's a tidbit in the news you may have missed earlier in the week.

While the company suggests that the new operating system won't necessarily be easy to install — "unless you're an intrepid Linux hacker already, we're going to recommend that you wait until later in 2014 to try it out," says Valve

Source

edit: ^yeah yeah yeah...
Its a beta. By definition, it doesn't need to run on every system or have every game. It is unfinished and needs testing. With a competent knowledge of linux you can solve several problems yourself.

Jeez what were you expecting?
I think there is a lot of buzz going around, people are exicted and many don't know what to expect. Valve seems to have been very clear about this (and I know you have been paying attention so thiss is just a PSA):
While the company suggests that the new operating system won't necessarily be easy to install — "unless you're an intrepid Linux hacker already, we're going to recommend that you wait until later in 2014 to try it out," says Valve — it means that we should get a deeper look at how it works and how it performs ahead of the company's CES announcements.
source

You should have read the FAQ. Go there now maybe?
link for good measure

thefil

I have four drives in my system. I guess I can blow out one of them for this.

Torrent downloaded at 2MBps for me. Seeding now.

Gotta figure out how to get my Arch/Windows dual boot working with GRUB UEFI first I guess?

HariKari

Jeesus Christ Superstar what an overly complicated way to roll out an OS that should simplify gaming on a pc.

Your expectations are way out of line. This is not a roll-out at all. It's for people who know what they are doing with Linux. Nothing more. Valve was very up front about this not being anywhere close to primetime.

I'll got to bed now. Good luck everyone! I expect your successful installation stories and first experiences with a real PC (and not just VM) in the Steammachine homebrew thread ;) Cheers and hf

Syf

Banned
People need to keep in mind that this is nowhere near the final product. Anyway, subbed; looking forward to seeing some screens and initial impressions.

Warewolf

Woah! I don't have a spare .5TB to partition for this puppy. I did a full format like two months ago, no interest in another one right now. I'll just live vicariously through GAF for this round Steam.

Good luck guys!

Dicer

Banned
I wonder if we'll ever see a release that works on the raspberry Pi for streaming games?

A bit low end on the hardware side...

OT: Backing up my files, been meaning to do a fresh install so I'll give this a go first...will post screens/impressions if all goes well

Enchanted

Banned
I have no idea what the source of that gif is. I literally just searched for ball punching gif in google.

Ironic that it is relevant to video games.

I believe that is from the movie "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry" staring Adam Sandler and Kevin James.

Top Bottom