• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

Fireblend

Banned
I had to try several times to get it right the first time (specially that last segment), but as soon as I saw what the requirements for the artifact were I reentered the room and did it on my first try. Loved that room in particular because it was an acknowledgement of how damn good the hookshot controls are in this game.

Man, breaks my heart a little to see it's better than the first one.

Will get this game when financially sorted out. Still not a fan of the art, but I wasn't too in the first one yet I still finished it in 3 days because I was just so obsessed with it.

Finished
bad ending where the planet explodes

I can't seem to 100% some of the places. Might have to check a faq but I've search a lot of the spots and there's no
shiny walls left
and I can't get 100%.

I enjoyed the game but I gotta say, I really loved SD1, this was full but quite the same. Maybe its because the mechanics are samey.

end boss was
too easy

I’ve got everything at 100%except Yarrow, which is at 96%. Frustrating because I’ve already given it a full sweep once just to check for anything I might have missed. Does anyone have suggestions on secrets easy to miss there? I have all artifacts. And every cave in Yarrow is marked as done.

Edit: got it

Fiendcode

I can't figure out one Cog in the tunnel between Yarrow and the Oasis. I know I have to fire the upper missle to break blocks but there's no place to stand on the left of it?

Joqu

I keep seeing people mention the Floor is Lava as being tough, but I basically cruised through it! :lol (and the second time to get the artifact as well)

I'm not even typically that skilled at games so it's kinda rare. Guess I'm just particularly attuned to hook shot heroics. :D

I wasn't really holding my hookshot jumps the first few tries. It became a whole lot more manageable once I realized I ought to do that more to figure out my next move.

Nabs

The chamber of arrows has a secret in it and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is and how to get it

If I'm right:
In the middle of the level, there's a set of arrows that come at you from the left. There's a hollow block right above it.

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the secret in Demon's Crib. edit: nvm, got it. I would have probably figured it out sooner if not for some accidental button presses.

If I'm right:
In the middle of the level, there's a set of arrows that come at you from the left. There's a hollow block right above it.

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the secret in Demon's Crib. edit: nvm, got it. I would have probably figured it out sooner if not for some accidental button presses.

Damn, that was tricky.

oatmeal

Banned
I keep seeing people mention the Floor is Lava as being tough, but I basically cruised through it! :lol (and the second time to get the artifact as well)

I'm not even typically that skilled at games so it's kinda rare. Guess I'm just particularly attuned to hook shot heroics. :D

Yeah, I did that pretty easily as well. Cool idea for a challenge.

watershed

Banned
Having beaten the game, I'm now going back to clear each cave completely. The game is really good once you unlock all the high level mechanics and buffs.

mstevens

Have they changed the icon yet? They said they were working on it and I'm sorta waiting for that to happen before I buy. May seem silly to some, but I'm going to buy it either way - may as well get it when it's not a bright eyesore on the dark theme.

Neiteio

Have they changed the icon yet? They said they were working on it and I'm sorta waiting for that to happen before I buy. May seem silly to some, but I'm going to buy it either way - may as well get it when it's not a bright eyesore on the dark theme.
Same here. I'll buy when the icon is fixed. In meantime I'm still playing Rabbids, Pokken and Metroid.

Da-Kid

What the hell am I suppose to do after getting the
Ignition Axe
? How do I get past all that lava to
light the last cauldron
?!

jorgejjvr

Super well deserved. Can't wait for the next entry (or remake! #HeistOnSwitch) on the Steamworld series!
Awesome! I personally liked dig more than heist, but both great games

That being said, dig 2 is on a whole other level!

Congrats!

I'm glad games are selling well on switch

US chart:
DKhZcBmW0AAMw8H.jpg
EU chart:

Put down that basketball America and grab a pickaxe!

dLMN8R

I'm only an hour or two into this game but it's so damn good. I just got to one of the first "special" caves that was over-grown a bit and it gave me serious Ori and the Blind Forest vibes for a minute.

Also: The music is so nice and chill. Completely unexpected but really refreshing!

Ha I just started downloading this game, saw the hideous icon, and immediately came to GAF to see if other people were complaining about it.

Nintendo really need to be more strict with developers on this.

Bersi

I can't seem to find this
trial dungeon that you unlock when you collect all the artifacts,is it in the eastern desert?,i'm flying all over the place with the jetpack but i still haven't found it.

Dumb question but anything to be concerned with in regards to the Switch version vs PC version (aside from 720p of course) either way I think I'll go Switch for portability unless there's a really major difference in performance

mstevens

I get that the icon is bad but why would this stop anyone from buying the game? *Shrugs*

It's not stopping me from buying it. If they said they weren't going to fix it, I'd just suck it up and buy it now, but I may as well wait since they said they'd fix it soon. I have other stuff I need to finish up (Dark Cloud 2, Mario Rabbids, and Splatoon 2 campaign for starters) that can play until it's not an eyesore. It looks especially bad on the dark theme, which is what I use.

jariw

Dumb question but anything to be concerned with in regards to the Switch version vs PC version (aside from 720p of course) either way I think I'll go Switch for portability unless there's a really major difference in performance

FWIW, Switch version is 1080p/60fps docked, unless you always play portable of course. IMO, the Switch version in pretty much flawless. And it has great HD Rumble support if you use the joy-cons.

Depends on what kind of adventure you want. If you want a more linear moment to moment adventure then turn it on. If you would rather explore and find your own path then turn them off :)

I play with the direction locations on, but skip those targets sometimes and go discovering things on my own.

trial dungeon that you unlock when you collect all the artifacts,is it in the eastern desert?,i'm flying all over the place with the jetpack but i still haven't found it.

I'm not at 100% yet, but have you tried
the bottom of the mine? There's a passage there with lots of spikes that looks pretty suspicious.

thinking about it since finishing last night.

It's $20. I had a blast with it and it gets really quite fun once all your abilities are in play and I like how they had some "secrets" reliant on power ups eg
your bomb needs to have max distance activate + jump and shoot ability activate
to get to the secret. Little things like this. Also some good QOL traversal mechanics.

Buy this.

dralla

Just finished.. Final stats.. Time: 13:42:16, Secrets 101%. The only thing I need to finish is the
trials in the desert. The Trial of Escape is killing me. The other two are not bad at all but I've yet to beat Escape. I never really upgraded my armor so I don't have the ability that resurrects you with full health when you die, which would make the trial much more manageable. Unfortunately I've mined everything already so I won't be able to afford it.

Great game. Not sure if I prefer this or Heist

Milennia

just finished (i kinda rushed with a 6 hour almost exact finish time and 34% secrets)

i have a ton of other games in the pipeline to play so had to rush a bit but man i loved this

ending spoilers

the vectron part was nuts and i loved the ending, i guess the next game is going to be on a bit more interesting of a locale lol

Dmax3901

If 2017 wasn't the great year that it is, I think this might've been my GOTY. Had a fucking blast with it. Really interesting playing this right after Samus Returns too, like it was a good, safe Metroid, but man does SWD2 have it beat in terms of originality of ideas and mechanics.

Gonna go back and 100% it for sure, is there any danger of me not getting enough resources to upgrade everything?

For those of you who got 100%: are there enough cogs to find to fill all slots?

Theoretically, maybe, because of that one vendor who sells you cogs at an escalating cost. You will hit $100 long before you ever have enough cash on hand to get anywhere near that. I only bought a few from him and finished the game on 82 cogs in total, not nearly enough for all slots.

If 2017 wasn't the great year that it is, I think this might've been my GOTY. Had a fucking blast with it. Really interesting playing this right after Samus Returns too, like it was a good, safe Metroid, but man does SWD2 have it beat in terms of originality of ideas and mechanics.

Gonna go back and 100% it for sure, is there any danger of me not getting enough resources to upgrade everything?

Resource depletion shouldn't be a problem, as money isn't finite even after all the minerals are gone (including the ones you lose permanently to falling rocks, discards from your inventory, etc.). I was a little under what I needed for my final cash upgrade when I depleted every map of minerals/gems, but enemies respawn, so I just put on the various cogs for boosting my income from them (the bounty for killing them with the pickaxe, the difficulty boost that yields more blood gems) and poked everything I could as I traversed the map for my last few items.

I was really impressed with how balanced the cash flow in the game was relative to your map progression and character level; you could tell these developers cut their teeth on genres like tower defense where tuning the economy is everything. It's a subtle thing that most players won't appreciate nearly enough.

Not to fall into the trap of more Metroid comparisons, but I found that Samus Returns had better combat/encounters while Dig 2 had better movement/traversal, which is a really strange thing to say about a 2D Metroid game if you think about it.

I believe you need 100% and not just all artifacts. You’re looking in the right spot though.

I believe you need 100% and not just all artifacts. You’re looking in the right spot though.

No, that's incorrect—I know for a fact I got into the trials with all artifacts when I hadn't finished 100%. I only dipped into the Trial of Skillness and immediately hit a (literal) wall, though, so I wasn't aware there were additional trials until they were brought up in this thread.

Top Bottom