• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

jariw

I'm so tempted to buy this on Switch but I lost interest in the original after a few hours. I'm now caught between just playing this and giving the original another shot.

Any comparison with the original is fruitless IMO. Steamworld Dig 2 has a designed progression, real platforming and it almost becomes a Metroid game.

Is there an NPC that gives you a hint where missing artifacts could be located? I'm at 37/42 now. I have found
the door in the sky above the Windy Plains but it won't open. I've also only activated 2 out of 3 torches in the fire temple so there's definitely one around there and I assume another one once I lit up all three torches. Also, apparently the cave of the last boss fight features some collectibles too?

L.O.R.D

DKmrEvVWsAEcalw.jpg

finally, after several retires found all the missing secrets

really liked the game, but there is very few bosses
only 2 if we don't count fen

they should put more bosses in the sequel, if there any.

now, about those trails some of you are talking about, where are they?

also, how many hidden NPC i should find? the ones that gives me hidden upgrade that have negative effect.

PokéKong

The music in this game is outstanding, so many different styles, yet a very cohesive feel. Is the OST for this game available anywhere besides on Steam listed as "DLC"? I have the game on Switch and would prefer not to double dip just to legally acquire some MP3s.

Just finished tonight after 9ish hours and 60% secrets found. I appreciate games knowing when to keep it brief but for the price I kind of wish there was more to it. It's neither mind blowing or bad, just a solid enjoyable game that builds on its predecessor in mostly the right ways.

I will say though,
the map felt like a bit of a cop out considering its size vs the playable area you uncover ending up being maybe 25% of that space at most.

but for the price, it's probably the perfect length. 9 hours for $20? Plenty of value.

dLMN8R

Oh man, my eyes after a certain sequence:

I had forgotten about the photo-sensitivity warning at the beginning of the game!
I was always confused what it might be alluding to. Now I know.

I'm not particularly photosensitive but my eyes are still seeing spots 10 minutes after the fact. Eesh!

Having just completed that sequence and gotten a cool new ability (
Jet boots
), how much more do I have left in the game? I've played about 5 hours so far but know there's a bunch left I have yet to explore.

oatmeal

Banned
Chamber of Secrets double lever

I give up.

Edit
Not double lever. The double door with the treasure in it. That one.

I guess I arrived underpowered at the final boss because I was getting my ass beat and couldn't finish it. Grinded a bit to buy some unlocks and got it done. Clocked in at 7 hours and 30% of the secrets. I really don't feel too into going and getting 100%.

Jb

Took me 7.5 hours to finish it with most of the unlocks, which is more than I expected.
I really enjoyed my time with this game.. Good pacing, great presentation and just a very solid platformer overall. Some challenge caves reminded me of Meat Boy and got me excited for all the 2D platforming goodness that we'll probably get on the Switch in the years to come.

Ravelle

Holy shit that Leaky Lodge challenge cave is some maximum bullshittery, think you made it but nope here's 20 snailes.

The music in the underground forest with the whale sounds is some amazing music though.

my first impression of this is that it looks freakin' gorgeous on the switch screen

SWD2 is a very good advertisement on how great the Switch screen is, it's so vibrant and crisp.

atmuh

decided to get this last night on switch because of all the positive impressions and man you guys weren't kidding. this game is absolutely fantastic

Anyone remember that XB360 Indie game Miner: Dig Deep?

I loved that game and this reminds me of that but with much, much more to do and vastly superior production values.

I already bought this on PSN. Looking forward to playing it when I get home.

Fliesen

Those Mine Cart puzzle rooms are really well done

yup, they're a great twist on the "push blocks across a frozen lake" thing.
making you think 3 moves ahead, having the carts break down ... you can't just brute force them without thinking at all.

eltercero

I bought this today, just wanted to try it out for half hour and two hours later I was still digging. This game is solid fun. The only thing I can complain is the icon (which I guess they will change soon. I hope. Please do.).

jariw

How long for me til the end of the game? I just reached
the bottom of the mine, looking for how to enter Vectron

You have a few more things to do, perhaps 70% of the way to the credits? The thing you'll be rewarded with after that place will speed up the remaining of the game a bit.

Jb

How long for me til the end of the game? I just reached
the bottom of the mine, looking for how to enter Vectron

Speaking of which, did I miss something or was the whole
Vectron + Fen
side of the story left completely unexplained? Not that I cared that much but I don't really get how it fit in with the central conflict of the game.

Fliesen

Can't fucking find the last artifact

well, the map shows you the percentage of secrets you found in each area. Teleport to each major area and see where you'd still be missing one.

An artifact you can literally not find until you're very close to the final part of the story is
the one in the oasis (where the humans live) - top left corner. requires jetpack.

murgo

Brilliant game. Got 93% completion after about 10 hours yesterday and just did a cleanup for the remaining secrets.

Image & Form are amazing devs. I hope they create a dozen more Steamworlds. Now I gotta get Heist ASAP.

jariw

Speaking of which, did I miss something or was the whole
Vectron + Fen
side of the story left completely unexplained? Not that I cared that much but I don't really get how it fit in with the central conflict of the game.

I wouldn't say it's unexplained.
Fen helped Dorothy with the task, and Dorothy entered that "alternate universe".
That's how I interpreted it at least.

Although I never played Steamworld Heist that much, there might be additional clues there,
since Fen apparently is a totally different creature in that game

Is there a point in letting
all those face-blocks into the lava in the temple of destruction or whatever cheesy name it's called
?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That was a super fun little game. It went on longer than I expected also. I wish it had done a bit more to...fundamentally change the mechanics
The rocketpack made stuff easier but it didn't super change what I was doing

Doorman

This has been an enjoyable ride so far, though the tonal shift in a certain area was a little jarring.
I didn't expect entering Vectron to suddenly turn the game into a survival-horror
lol.

Anyway, before doing that I guess I did things a little out of order, since I pushed my way through one of the near-endgame areas apparently before I was supposed to. Oh well!

big_z

$30 CAD, it's rough times up here lol

Why are digital games on psn so expensive? I know our dollar is weaker but not that weak. Dig 2 is $21 on steam and would be priced similarly if it was on Xbox. Psn is almost always $5-10 more expensive for digital titles than anywhere else. Not all games are hit with the Sony tax but many are, why?

I double dipped for the first steam world and really want to play the sequel on console but will have to pass until a sale.

Melchior

The game is pretty fantastic I've enjoyed everything except the east temple. It was the embodiment of no fun. I just ended up hauling ass through that thing and never looking back.

Top Bottom