• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

PetrCobra

Looking for the last secret in Yarrow.. suddenly I check the map and it says 100%. WTF. Not sure if the counter is glitched at this point, I had another experience where I found a new secret right after the count went to 100. Anyway, on with this.

Kensuke

Mms5dHo.jpg

Finally. That was a lot harder than expected.

TB14

How's this compare to the first? I generally enjoy metroidvania type games, but wasn't really able to get into it for some reason.

bounchfx

I feel like I'm already 3-4 hours in and i just hit the first thing i would consider a dungeon with the lava and stuff. damn people are fast!

Mms5dHo.jpg

Finally. That was a lot harder than expected.

What's the cutoff for gold time? 4 hours? And do you have to do all 4 categories in one go (ex. get 100% secrets before beating the game at 4 hours), or can you do them separately (beat the game first, then finish 100% completion)?

I just beat the game today and getting close to 100%, and I'll tackle a new playthrough soon.

mazillion

I just double dipped purely to buy the soundtrack lol.

I own it on Switch but the only way to buy the soundtrack is to own the game on Steam or GOG. Stupid policy

ryushe

Finally about to complete Samus Returns and I was wondering if it's worth it to go back and finish the first SWD before heading into SWD2?

I played the first one for about an hour before dropping it for something else. I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it either.

Kensuke

Impressive speed run! How many tries did you need in total?

Just that one try, but I had to reset a lot during the run. The game auto-saves at the start of every cave, so if it was going poorly I restarted the game. I also used a map someone already made to make things easier.

What's the cutoff for gold time? 4 hours? And do you have to do all 4 categories in one go (ex. get 100% secrets before beating the game at 4 hours), or can you do them separately (beat the game first, then finish 100% completion)?

I just beat the game today and getting close to 100%, and I'll tackle a new playthrough soon.

Yeah, cutoff is 4 hours. Barely made it, haha. You need all 4 categories in one go for the achievement. Can't get full gold stars by beating it and then doing other stuff later.

sinonobu

Banned
Never played any of the SteamWorld games before and bought this not knowing what to expect.

And holy crap this game's good, was meant to spent quick 10~15 minutes but ended up playing for an hour and a half.

Now I feel like I have to check other games in the series after I beat this one.

With Stardew Valley probably coming out sooner rather than latter (given that it has been approved for release), I'm thinking about waiting for that. For those that can answer, would you recommend this or Stardew Valley?

I love metroidvanias. Prime 2 is my GOAT, and I pick up every Metroid title, and metroid-like title that looks interesting. On the other hand, I've never played a Harvest Moon title or anything like it before. I know they are two very different games, and I have two very different backgrounds, but what do you guys think I should get? What's brings more to the table, you think? Should I go for the experience I'm familiar with, or the thing I know nothing about, given the context of both games?

I'll get both titles eventually, I'm just strapped for cash, ATM, while I look for a job.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With Stardew Valley probably coming out sooner rather than latter (given that it has been approved for release), I'm thinking about waiting for that. For those that can answer, would you recommend this or Stardew Valley?

I love metroidvanias. Prime 2 is my GOAT, and I pick up every Metroid title, and metroid-like title that looks interesting. On the other hand, I've never played a Harvest Moon title or anything like it before. I know they are two very different games, and I have two very different backgrounds, but what do you guys think I should get? What's brings more to the table, you think? Should I go for the experience I'm familiar with, or the thing I know nothing about, given the context of both games?

I'll get both titles eventually, I'm just strapped for cash, ATM, while I look for a job.

If you're strapped for cash, I say buy the cheaper game or the game that will last you longer. I suspect Stardew Valley is the longer of the two. SteamWorld Dig 2 is probably the safer choice, though, and one you're more guaranteed to enjoy.

If you don't want your financial situation to be what determines what you get, then you'll have to identify what you're in the mood for. Both games are very well received, so it's a matter of if you want to try something new or stay within your comfort zone.

nick_b

I'm sure this has been pointed out already but I just found out around 80-90% through the game. On the map screen when fast traveling you can press X to automove the cursor from El Macino and your last tube traveled from. My main complaint so far was the tedious map traveling. :|

Well, that was certainly an ending.
SWD2 is easily one of the best designed games of 2017. It only gets better over time and reveals its significant level design gains subtly.

oatmeal

Banned
The trials. My god.

I can crush all of them but the rocket one fucks me every time. Non stop fucked.

I just had it as the last one. Had full hearts.

Destroyed me.

I’m so mad. Hours on these things s

The trials. My god.

I can crush all of them but the rocket one fucks me every time. Non stop fucked.

I just had it as the last one. Had full hearts.

Destroyed me.

I’m so mad. Hours on these things s

I know that feeling. Rockets and Escape just blow through my hearts every time. I feel like there's a better way to do Escape, but I haven't quite figured it out.

Never played any of the SteamWorld games before and bought this not knowing what to expect.

And holy crap this game's good, was meant to spent quick 10~15 minutes but ended up playing for an hour and a half.

Now I feel like I have to check other games in the series after I beat this one.
Skip Dig1 imo, Heist is awesome (if you like Turn based strategy).

I finished 1, got close to finishing Heist but got busy, and I was finally able to get this yesterday.

Yep, it's really good and beautiful and wow

How's this compare to the first? I generally enjoy metroidvania type games, but wasn't really able to get into it for some reason.
I didn't like the original but 2 fixed every problem I had. It has structure and design now making the original feel like a prototype.

oatmeal

Banned
I know that feeling. Rockets and Escape just blow through my hearts every time. I feel like there's a better way to do Escape, but I haven't quite figured it out.
What is the deal with the big wall jump? I only get it every 8-10 tries but I’m not doing anything different

Lingitiz

Just finished! Never played the first, but this is absolutely one of my favorite games of the year. It's just really well designed and well paced, with a great sense of exploration and progression. The world had a lot of personality and atmosphere too. The graphics pop on the Switch's screen and led to me playing it mostly in handheld mode. I will say that it wasn't as Metroidvania-y as I expected, especially coming from Samus Returns. The feeling of the power progression could have been done a lot better, but I think that's just a testament to how well actual Metroid gets it right.

oatmeal

Banned
Got 100% secrets but there has to be a blueprint or two I’m missing.

Just beat it. I feel like I got a bad ending. Wtf.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just double dipped purely to buy the soundtrack lol.

I own it on Switch but the only way to buy the soundtrack is to own the game on Steam or GOG. Stupid policy

Wait, they don't sell it separately? I really love the music while digging in the mine, so I was going to look into buying the soundtrack if the game's music continued to impress me. But I won't double-dip for it.

If you're strapped for cash, I say buy the cheaper game or the game that will last you longer. I suspect Stardew Valley is the longer of the two. SteamWorld Dig 2 is probably the safer choice, though, and one you're more guaranteed to enjoy.

If you don't want your financial situation to be what determines what you get, then you'll have to identify what you're in the mood for. Both games are very well received, so it's a matter of if you want to try something new or stay within your comfort zone.

Thanks! I'll consider what you said.

What is the deal with the big wall jump? I only get it every 8-10 tries but I’m not doing anything different

I'm not too sure either. I think
you have to make it so that you hit the wall on the third level, not the ledge, so that you can immediately wall jump to the other side with the momentum. But you can't hit that third level too high or else you hit the ledge right above.
It usually takes me several tries as well.

Is there a trick to the Escape that you've found? I can barely get by without losing an entire row of hearts, which leaves the second life to dealing with Rockets and other mistakes.

I just beat the game as well

damn, that ending is dark. Everybody dies except for a handful of robots? Not even sure what to do with how that turned out. I don’t think there are alternate endings either.

Is there a reward for the
post game trials
? Also, do I have to
do them all in one go? That would kill my motivation to do them tbh.

oatmeal

Banned
You have to do them in one go, yes.

It’s pretty insane.

I can get through all except the rocket one without getting demolished. I always pray that’s the first one. The rest aren’t bad. Escape, just fly against the ceiling when being chased. Much faster than running.

Jb

I just beat the game as well

damn, that ending is dark. Everybody dies except for a handful of robots? Not even sure what to do with how that turned out. I don’t think there are alternate endings either.

I'm not sure the planet was densely populated like Earth. For all we know the only humans were Rosie's gang.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Do you guys play with the objective marker on or off? I left it on, but maybe there's a bigger sense of discovery if you switch it off or the experience overall feels better? Gonna leave it on for the time being.

Had a lot of fun with my first session yesterday. Game looks great in Switch handheld mode. Switch is such a perfect fit for this type of game.

Doorman

Do you guys play with the objective marker on or off? I left it on, but maybe there's a bigger sense of discovery if you switch it off or the experience overall feels better? Gonna leave it on for the time being.

Had a lot of fun with my first session yesterday. Game looks great in Switch handheld mode. Switch is such a perfect fit for this type of game.
I turned them off at the first opportunity and never looked back. Frankly I don't think they're at all necessary; for as large as they are, the maps are mostly laid out in pretty linear fashion as far as reaching ovjectives, so there's not really the Super Metroid sense of "huh, where am I supposed to go now?" All the marker really does is spoil how far away you have to go before reaching your destination, but that minor mystery is kinda fun to me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Off for sure. It definitely feels better to explore that way.

I turned them off at the first opportunity and never looked back. Frankly I don't think they're at all necessary; for as large as they are, the maps are mostly laid out in pretty linear fashion as far as reaching ovjectives, so there's not really the Super Metroid sense of "huh, where am I supposed to go now?" All the marker really does is spoil how far away you have to go before reaching your destination, but that minor mystery is kinda fun to me.

Thanks, that convinced me to turn it off

Top Bottom