• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

zroid

Banned
Ah, I thought you had to do it purely with the hookshot. I'd given up anyway so I'll just get back to it later.

I was talking about this earlier; someone mentioned that they didn't know you could stick in place to walls, and once they realized it became a lot easier for them. I didn't have much difficulty with that challenge in the first place and I'm not particularly good at games, so maybe some people are just doing it wrong?

SGABANG

Neo Member
I need another run.
giphy.gif

oatmeal

Banned
Man the Trial of Rockets is straight up dogshit.

The others are fine so far (except the trial of buttons which just wastes your time more than anything else) and utilise things you've done throughout the game in a sensible manner. Then the rocket trial comes about and suddenly there rockets that now chase you through the scenery, explode with a visually misleading hitbox and they then dump in a metric fuck-ton of poison droppers.
To cap that off: the rocks you need to break regenerate and therefore become a crushing hazard.

I am maxed out on upgrades and survivability cogs and the rocket one can just waste the entire health bar or more and its never at the start so you can get it out of the way.

The rest of the game has been great but this is a sudden sour point which has killed my enjoyment for now.
Yeah all of the other trials are fair. That one isn't.

SGABANG

Neo Member
Someone have finished the last dungeon?
The mid-air one. I tried a couple of time but is too difficult for me. What is the reward?

XaosWolf

Yeah all of the other trials are fair. That one isn't.

I got through it by discovering that you can fudge all the trials:
It checkpoints you at the start of each trial. So you can fail, immediately close the game and then reload it to be at the start of that same trial. Without having to start them all again.

Someone have finished the last dungeon?
The mid-air one. I tried a couple of time but is too difficult for me. What is the reward?

You get a certificate artifact. Thats it.

I have been having a fun time playing this game, and I only bought it after reading so many positive things here on NeoGAF. Great recommendation; I'm definitely enjoying it much more so far than Metroid Samus Returns which I completed 100% already.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have been having a fun time playing this game, and I only bought it after reading so many positive things here on NeoGAF. Great recommendation; I'm definitely enjoying it much more so far than Metroid Samus Returns which I completed 100% already.

Yeah this is the first game I've played after SR and I have to admit it's been a better experience so far.

What I think of when I hear the great hub track:

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is there any penalty for running out of fuel? The music gets super ominous but other than being kind of dark, there doesn't seem to be anything bad that happens.

What a great game this is. Favorite Switch game yet.

That moment when you exit a cave, expect a checkmark but still nothing :( I've encountered one challenge so far that I may skip: floor is lava relic reward. Doing that entire section in one go... eeh maybe not. I thought I could cheat by pushing the block first and then restarting, but you have to re-enter the area.

I've just collected the
fire axe
. Loving the game, the optional challenges are tougher than I expected.

I did it, felt pretty goddamn good about it :p.

PokéKong;250218644 said:
https://twitter.com/ImageForm/status/913067455932747778

Alright this is good to know, I guess we can look forward to the soundtrack showing up in more places some time soon.

Does this game have multiple endings? If so, what needs to be done to get the "good" one? I know that I'll only play the game once, so it'd be nice to get the best ending possible if there is more than one.

That's great news!
Up on Bandcamp for $10! https://imageform.bandcamp.com/releases

Beat the game at 11 hours, 84% secrets. Really loved it, and I think I'm going to go back and search for the remaining relics.

The ending
is sad. I guess all the humans die? I suppose in a way they deserve it? My interpretation of the lore is that they humans caused nuclear apocalypse,
but even so, they didn't learn their lesson, and are still evil. Nasty until the very end,
I suppose.

This game is pretty much a highlight all the way through, but if I had to pick one moment that's a special highlight it's
vectron. Super atmospheric and tense.

I hope I don't stir anything too bitter here, but I do want to say that, having just played Samus Returns, I do prefer this game. This game is a little tighter and more focused. It has more legit platforming and puzzle solving. And the areas in this game all stand out from each other and are each interesting. Though Samus Returns has much better boss fights.

Doorman

Beat the game at 11 hours, 84% secrets. Really loved it, and I think I'm going to go back and search for the remaining relics.

[...]

I hope I don't stir anything too bitter here, but I do want to say that, having just played Samus Returns, I do prefer this game. This game is a little tighter and more focused. It has more legit platforming and puzzle solving. And the areas in this game all stand out from each other and are each interesting. Though Samus Returns has much better boss fights.

The areas stand out from each other...but that's kind of easy to do when there's only a handful of areas in total. I think conceptually Samus Returns has some really cool locales and ideas, but they aren't always presented as clearly and (this is something that's come up in that game's thread too) the foreground elements are too homogenized in that game and it contributes to the muddled distinction. Which is a little ironic to say now that I think about it because it's not like the clumps of dirt you're largely mining through change much throughout, but the rest of it does show a bit more character. Both games contribute well to the genre overall.

The areas stand out from each other...but that's kind of easy to do when there's only a handful of areas in total. I think conceptually Samus Returns has some really cool locales and ideas, but they aren't always presented as clearly and (this is something that's come up in that game's thread too) the foreground elements are too homogenized in that game and it contributes to the muddled distinction. Which is a little ironic to say now that I think about it because it's not like the clumps of dirt you're largely mining through change much throughout, but the rest of it does show a bit more character. Both games contribute well to the genre overall.

Agreed that they're both great in their own ways.

I think one thing this game does especially well is that each area is tonally distinct. The opening area is cheery and kind of kooky, but then you've got another area that's really depressing, another area that's really creepy, another area that's mysterious and kind of beautiful, and another area that makes you feel like Indiana Jones. It feels like each place has its own personality.

Fireblend

Banned
I just grabbed my last artifact and can't help but feel a bit sad that my time with this game is almost over :( what a great game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got some great powerups yesterday, not only the
jetpack but also the heat thing that makes me do damage while flying
. I have to disable
3 more doomsday devices
now, I keep seeing mention of 'that part' and I wonder if I've already passed it.

Loving the game more each time I dig in again

red731

I just did that part. Wow, this is a game.

It was like the underwater game
SOMA
, that change in atmosphere. Damn.

I finished the game yesterday and we
shinners, will really fuck everything up, won't we,
irl?

Please confirm this is the correct behavior once the game is started again after finishing - I can continue getting everything and the last quest is repayable?

What a wonderful game. I need to have the town music on loop in my life. ed: can't find it anywhere dah!

Also if they make another game -
coop
!

Hi all, great to be here again!

I took today off due to exhaustion - my inbox refuses to dwindle, for every SWD2 code request I approve (or, rarely, reject) there's three new ones as soon as I hit Send. I now sit on many hundreds of unread emails from people who wonder why we're not getting back to them. On one hand it's quite marvellous. I want to reach as many as possible and not mass-mail them. But it's quite stressful to lag behind like this, so... one day off.

So what do I do when I've decided to take a breather and not work on getting the game out there for a day? Why, I go to NeoGAF to see if anyone's talking about SWD2, of course! I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous every time I come here, I get it in my head that some kind of negative force will have gripped you all and that the tide has turned. But nope, people are still saying very, very kind things about our game. <3

And I'm amazed that you find so many aspects to talk about. I haven't read all comments, but I don't think I'll be of much help - you seem to help each other just fine. I noticed that many of you are looking for things that you can't find. OK, so if someone wants to cheat to find stuff,
there is a remarkable map that a guy called Demajen drew and posted in the Steam community forum: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1144149252
Other than that... well, it's a game and it's meant to be played.

Things are going good for us now, and for once we're not teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. That's how we tend to do it: if there's still money in the bank, let's polish some more. Shigeru Miyamoto apparently has said something along the lines of "A delayed game will be good eventually. A rushed game is bad forever." We fit that bill almost TOO well... but we want to continue doing it just like that. And I firmly believe we can NOT afford to make bad games.

But we pour all our cash into development. With every game, the risks we take are insane. Apart from salaries for me, Julius and Paulina, we can spend very close to $0 on PR and marketing. So if you like SWD2 and can sympathize with a guy who's pretty worn down today, I and my magnificent colleagues at I&F would really appreciate if you could take to social media and do a bit of shouting for us today. Don't lie for us, but if you like SWD2, please tell the world. Every little thumbs-up counts. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your kind words. <3 If there's any question you think I could answer, don't hesitate to post it here.

Brjann, I&F (going to the office tomorrow)

I´d like to leave a sincere "thank you" for this awesome game. I´ve completed it yesterday and had really great fun with it on my Switch. Since this was my first experience with the Steamworld Series I guess I should get me some SD1 & SH!

Gunship

This game is pretty much the reason I play videogames. The sense of progression, exploration, trial and error, puzzle solving and adventuring is so perfectly balanced and presented that it feels like an almost perfect game to me.

I don't really have any history with Metroid or Castlevania so the Metroidvania tag is lost on me, but what it does remind me of is a much more sophisticated version of one of my C64 faves, Boulderdash, and of course a little bit of Dig Dug and Mr Do! - that's Steamworld Dig's DNA to me, but beautifully and expertly evolved and reimagined.

The game is so slick, fluid, graceful and polished, the attention to detail is incredible with crazy little touches everywhere you look. It's just a beautifully designed and presented game with its own unique personality and identity.

This will probably be my GOTY and I'll be genuinely sad when I complete it.

wouwie

I started playing yesterday and first impressions are really good. I'm enjoying the presentation, the atmosphere, the visuals and the gameplay. It's fun, colorful, fresh and polished. The thing that stood out the most though is the soundtrack. It's very good so far and fits the game.

All in all, very nice first impressions and i'm looking forward to continue playing.

SomTervo

I got through it by discovering that you can fudge all the trials:
It checkpoints you at the start of each trial. So you can fail, immediately close the game and then reload it to be at the start of that same trial. Without having to start them all again.

If you're not carrying any loot, you don't need to go this far.

Mess up a trial, just pause, go to Options, choose 'Self destruct' or whatever.

Instant 'retry' of the trial.

Hi all, great to be here again!

I took today off due to exhaustion - my inbox refuses to dwindle, for every SWD2 code request I approve (or, rarely, reject) there's three new ones as soon as I hit Send. I now sit on many hundreds of unread emails from people who wonder why we're not getting back to them. On one hand it's quite marvellous. I want to reach as many as possible and not mass-mail them. But it's quite stressful to lag behind like this, so... one day off.

God, do I know that feeling.

Congrats on the game, your ethos and dedication is paying off a thousandfold.

Someone get this man a tag, stat!

jariw

Have they changed the icon yet? They said they were working on it and I'm sorta waiting for that to happen before I buy. May seem silly to some, but I'm going to buy it either way - may as well get it when it's not a bright eyesore on the dark theme.

Same here. I'll buy when the icon is fixed. In meantime I'm still playing Rabbids, Pokken and Metroid.

Buy it. :)

andthebeatgoeson

kind of stunned some people were able to finish this in 4 hours. I don't even feel like I'm halfway done with the game, I keep finding more stuff! I think I'm level 9 or 10 now, can't remember.
Took me 16 hours. I enjoyed the exploration. Got to the final boss, recognized it could be the final boss because the build up was excellent and went back to dig some more. Now I'm debating another run thru.

Neiteio

I just purchased and downloaded the game, but it's still the old icon. I tried doing a software update too. Is it not live yet? I'm in U.S., Eastern time zone.

Edit- I got it

Help! How do I reach this cog?

DK5tIuGVAAADwPd.jpg

This is the area connecting the jungle and the shiner camp. There are explosive rockets around but none near this gray rock which needs to get blown up or otherwise removed. Thanks.

Fliesen

another quick hint

you can
hookshot
the
bombs / rockets
You can make your way through that area (but not get that cog, iirc) by only hitting them with your pick.

Ok now I need help on finding the hidden goodie in the Demons Crib cave -to the right of the entrance of the eastern temple, the one that fills with lava. I have the cog that lets me see weak walls but I still don't see any thing and I've run through it multiple times.

another quick hint

you can
hookshot
the
bombs / rockets
You can make your way through that area (but not get that cog, iirc) by only hitting them with your pick.
Thanks!

Fireblend

Banned
Ok now I need help on finding the hidden goodie in the Demons Crib cave -to the right of the entrance of the eastern temple, the one that fills with lava. I have the cog that lets me see weak walls but I still don't see any thing and I've run through it multiple times.
Another hint:
patience

So here it is, new icon! Does somebody seen any patch notes? Or update covers only icon and tweaks things not important enough for a comment.

dLMN8R

Completed the game yesterday! So damn good. Took me ~11 hours to get to 100% of everything, though I still have the extra thing to do after getting 100% of the artifacts.

It was such a nice surprise that I still had so much more game to go after the
Vectron
part. I was so sure that I was almost done with the game after that but still had 4-5 more hours to go.

This game is huge! Easily 2-3x as large as the first.

Top Bottom