• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

GhaleonEB

Picked this up on PS4 and played an hour and change.

I only played through the first game once, but I recall that game starting out pretty mining heavy, and transitioning into a platformer by the end as mobility options increased. I thought it was better in the first half than the latter, in part because the platforming felt clunky to me.

This game puts the platforming to the fore, which would be not great if it were the same as the first game. But it's a joy to control and they've struck a perfect balance between platforming, action and mining. I'm interested to see how well they maintain that.

My only quibble right now is I wish monsters didn't respawn in areas of the mine I've already cleared. But outside of that, this is polished, fun and charming as hell. I've been humming the town music ever since I turned it off.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I liked the music, but I think I was spoiled by Heist's bar songs by Steam Powered Giraffes. I was jonesing for a bit of that, at least in the town :)

jariw

Does this mean game does not end with final roll and I can continue my serach for all secrets?

I am 10h in, and afraid to finish it by accident.

You can continue the game after the credits. You need to, if you want to unlock the post-game content.

My only quibble right now is I wish monsters didn't respawn in areas of the mine I've already cleared. But outside of that, this is polished, fun and charming as hell. I've been humming the town music ever since I turned it off.

It's necessary for monsters to respawn, due to how the game is designed (since monsters is a resource).

Fireblend

Banned
Well, got my(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
Proof of Completion
. That was... hard. Guess I should go beat the game now
KuGsj.gif

I think those trials may be harder than Cave Story's hell, or at least close to it.

Fireblend

Banned
You can continue the game after the credits. You need to, if you want to unlock the post-game content.

Is there anything else in the postgame beyond the
trials
? I was able to do them without finishing the game. All that is needed for that is having collected all of the artifacts, I believe.

Edit: Sorry for the doublepost.

Robiin

Yo, why is noone talking about this game as like Game of the Year quality?

I downloaded Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Thumper and Picross S at the same time. Decided to try each one out for an hour or so before going with one to dive deep in.

I started with Picross. Great game, just something I wanna play when I have "nothing better to do", like when the girl and I are just chilling on the couch, having a beer and chatting, so I quit after the first two worlds.

Started Golf Story, got through the tutorial. Charming as hell, considered this but wanted to try everything I bought first.

Started Steamworld Dig 2. That was five hours ago. Jesus Christ this game makes time fly. It is so addicting. It feels so good to move around, the controls are spot on. The visuals set the tone perfectly. I don't know what to say, the game just flows very well. It's run based, without being a roguelike. You learn "your own" layout and find the fastest and most efficient way to get to where you are going, you keep seeing new things and are bombarded with the "what's over there?"-sensation that certain games just do incredibly well - this is one of them.

I never got to Thumper.

phanphare

Banned

I downloaded Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Thumper and Picross S at the same time. Decided to try each one out for an hour or so before going with one to dive deep in.

I started with Picross. Great game, just something I wanna play when I have "nothing better to do", like when the girl and I are just chilling on the couch, having a beer and chatting, so I quit after the first two worlds.

Started Golf Story, got through the tutorial. Charming as hell, considered this but wanted to try everything I bought first.

Started Steamworld Dig 2. That was five hours ago. Jesus Christ this game makes time fly. It is so addicting. It feels so good to move around, the controls are spot on. The visuals set the tone perfectly. I don't know what to say, the game just flows very well. It's run based, without being a roguelike. You learn "your own" layout and find the fastest and most efficient way to get to where you are going, you keep seeing new things and are bombarded with the "what's over there?"-sensation that certain games just do incredibly well - this is one of them.

I never got to Thumper.

I think lots of people are actually. it's one of the best games I've played this year and will likely end up in my top 5 when the year is over.

Well, got my(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
Proof of Completion
. That was... hard. Guess I should go beat the game now
KuGsj.gif

I think those trials may be harder than Cave Story's hell, or at least close to it.

Nah. I'm obsessed with Cave Story, and have beaten it at least 20 times and owned it at least 5 times (DSi, DSi on 3DS, 3DS eshop, Steam, Switch). The SWD2 trails are definitely easier. Trials only took me about 3-4 tries, while Hell in Cave Story always kicks me hard in each playthrough, taking around 10-20 retries if I haven't played it for months.

One of the subtly brilliant things about this game is that backtracking is really fast because you can just fall through areas you've already been. I kind of love that.

boxter432

just purchased this and Golf Story, they'll be ready to download when I get home and wake up my Switch.

flying to Italy in a few weeks, going to have some great games to play on the plane (Rabbids, Golf Story and this..and maybe wander around Hyrule some more for fun)

jariw

Is there anything else in the postgame beyond the
trials
? I was able to do them without finishing the game. All that is needed for that is having collected all of the artifacts, I believe.

Edit: Sorry for the doublepost.

No, that's the available postgame content. Cool to know that it's available even before the credits if you meet the requirements.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished at 9:18 with 67% of secrets found. Loved the game. One of the rare cases where I wish I wasn't at the end when I knew I was. The levels and abilities keep getting better, was really into the setting, world and characters. I don't know if there's real incentive to go for 100%.

I still have no clue what 'that part' was supposed to be, so if anyone can tell me that'd be great :p

It went from one of the worst to one of the best. Neiteio rejoice!

I was playing Golf Story, then checked my friends list and saw Neiteio was playing Dig 2. "That can only mean one thing," I thought, and sure enough, I checked for updates and there it was.

It's 3.1.1 now, up from 2.1.1. That's more of a bump than I would expect from an icon update. Has anyone seen patch notes or noticed any other changes?

andthebeatgoeson

Started a new run. I was stuck at 97% on the east cave and the middle. Got all artifacts. Probably just two secrets and i think that map is missing them. Went thru the game with that map open is still missed the secrets.

Still good to restart a game.

Neiteio

Enjoying the game, but the Iron Pickaxe Tier 2 upgrade description says "it's" when it should say "its." A minor typo. The writing itself is really good, though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just beat it on Switch, 8:46 on the clock, 56% secrets. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I will definitely keep playing it, but I also am excited for a sequel.

It's necessary for monsters to respawn, due to how the game is designed (since monsters is a resource).

Wait, they don't respawn in the mines. Just in the challenge caves.

Neiteio

He should name it: "SteamWorld Dig 2, and how a minor typo drags down my enjoyment of a game"
Don't be ridiculous... That wouldn't even fit on the subject line! ;P

I just got the jackhammer. The pacing in this game is MASTERFUL. And the gameplay loop is sooo addictive -- carving your own path through the earth, snagging treasures without being crushed by falling blocks, tackling challenge rooms and/or getting new abilities, and then opening a pneumo tube and warping back to town before your lantern fuel runs out, so you can sell your ore and buy new upgrades, install cog mods, try out blueprints, etc... The game has its hooks in me now.

Running, wall-jumping and chipping/hammering away at baddies and blocks feels great. I also dig (*cough*) the atmospheric soundcape when you run out of lantern fuel, and the lighting in each area is gorgeous, especially the caves with the glowing fungi.

Fen is a great sidekick. All of the NPCS are well-written and entertaining, especially the mayor. El Machina is a great name for a frontier town full of robots. The lore and world-building is quite interesting in general, with the miles-long subterranean wall holding back shiners, etc.

Really, REALLY enjoying this!!

GhaleonEB

Some exploration spoilers after about five hours. I'm level 9, and am working on various shrines.

In every mining game of this type that I've played, when you reach the bottom, you're near the end of the game. So imagine my surprise when I reached bottom, with the feeling that I've explored the tip of the iceberg.
The game is revealing some serious genius design as I get further in, and that was one of them.

I love all the little dungeons focused on particular mechanics. They appear not long after the mechanic they introduce and serve as a kind of skill test, in exchange for loot. And they are everywhere.

I have a question about one of the shrines to the far west.
I opened all the barriers that lead to one big entryway way up above some water, but I can't figure out a way to get in. There's a vertical chute leading up to it, and my grappling hook can't reach the top.
Without spoiling the specifics, can anyone tell me if I need a gizmo, or if I'm just not understanding the trick to get in?

Speaking of being everywhere, this game is so stuffed to the gills with secrets, it's going to take me forever to unpack them. I keep trying to make a mental note of, "oh, that's just out of reach - I should come back when I get a new toy to help me get it". Then I do that 47 more times in the next hour. I've run into three artifacts I can't get right now due to (what I think are) gear restrictions, but I can't get the upgrade I need until level 14. Which is a long ways off....

So, yeah. This is addictive as hell, beautiful and charming. It's everything I wanted and needed right now.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying the game, but the Iron Pickaxe Tier 2 upgrade description says "it's" when it should say "its." A minor typo. The writing itself is really good, though.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this. It's not a big deal, but I hope it's patched.

bounchfx

Just finished it, level 15 (I think?). took 9 hours, had 12 deaths, 65% secrets and something like 19.5k gold. I loved the final boss. So much fun. Amazing game.

Fliesen

Some exploration spoilers after about five hours. I'm level 9, and am working on various shrines.

In every mining game of this type that I've played, when you reach the bottom, you're near the end of the game. So imagine my surprise when I reached bottom, with the feeling that I've explored the tip of the iceberg.
The game is revealing some serious genius design as I get further in, and that was one of them.

I love all the little dungeons focused on particular mechanics. They appear not long after the mechanic they introduce and serve as a kind of skill test, in exchange for loot. And they are everywhere.

I have a question about one of the shrines to the far west.
I opened all the barriers that lead to one big entryway way up above some water, but I can't figure out a way to get in. There's a vertical chute leading up to it, and my grappling hook can't reach the top.
Without spoiling the specifics, can anyone tell me if I need a gizmo, or if I'm just not understanding the trick to get in?

Speaking of being everywhere, this game is so stuffed to the gills with secrets, it's going to take me forever to unpack them. I keep trying to make a mental note of, "oh, that's just out of reach - I should come back when I get a new toy to help me get it". Then I do that 47 more times in the next hour. I've run into three artifacts I can't get right now due to (what I think are) gear restrictions, but I can't get the upgrade I need until level 14. Which is a long ways off....

So, yeah. This is addictive as hell, beautiful and charming. It's everything I wanted and needed right now.

gizmo.

I never got to Thumper.

I think SWD2 will definitely make some top 10 lists and definitely is a challenger for indie GOTY. I want to say some guy at IGN calling this his indie GOTY at the moment. I think either the switchforce or gameexplain guys had SWD2 at #1 and #2 in their top 5 best indies so far

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just to be sure there is no
'good' ending right? Just the one where the planet blows up?
And the only reward for finding everything
is the trial cave?
If so I probably won't bother with 100%.

Fliesen

is the trial cave?

i finished at 100%, albeit
not completing the trial cave
. In my ending,
the planet blew up, the robots boarded the rocket.

jariw

is the trial cave?

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is
only one ending
. Seems to explain
Heist in the timeline

And that's the "only" post-content.

I think SWD2 will definitely make some top 10 lists and definitely is a challenger for indie GOTY. I want to say some guy at IGN calling this his indie GOTY at the moment. I think either the switchforce or gameexplain guys had SWD2 at #1 and #2 in their top 5 best indies so far

Hollow Knight is on a whole 'nother level than SteamWorld Dig 2, with all due respect. SWD2 is a good metroidvania, HK is arguably the GOAT and I think GAF's gonna have a meltdown once it releases on Switch. I don't think many people realize there's a metroidvania better than SotN and Super Metroid out there for 15 bucks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hollow Knight is on a whole 'nother level than SteamWorld Dig 2, with all due respect. SWD2 is a good metroidvania, HK is arguably the GOAT and I think GAF's gonna have a meltdown once it releases on Switch. I don't think many people realize there's a metroidvania better than SotN and Super Metroid out there for 15 bucks.

I've resisted all the Steam sales for Hollow Knight just to get it on Switch. I was openly dismissive about the artstyle before but I have to admit I was wrong there after watching more footage of the game. Really looking forward to playing it.

Stoze

Hollow Knight is on a whole 'nother level than SteamWorld Dig 2, with all due respect. SWD2 is a good Metroidvania, HK is arguably GOAT and I think GAF's gonna have a meltdown once it releases on Switch.
They're very different games to where I don't really see the point of pitting them up against each other. Personally I'm not even sure if I'd consider SteamWorld Dig 2 a "Metroidvania", which isn't a bad thing at all.

Got 100% yesterday, wanted to come in and say I adore this game. Image and Form are really, really good at taking simple game objects and concepts and getting as much mileage out of them as possible. For example, there's maybe 4 or 5 different ways they manage to use that piston block with the fists on it, or the pink acid drips, falling rocks, etc.. That same mindset carries over to the player's moves and tools as well. I don't think I've seen a hookshot with more versatility than this one despite it only being restricted to 4 directions.

Also the reward for getting all the artifacts is awesome, I wish games did more stuff like that. In regards to it;
I love the fact that to even access the trials you have to follow a clue in the item description. My favorite trial was the one that was pure platforming and stripped away your jetpack and hookshot, it was kinda like discovering new abilities you didn't know you had.

I could go on, what a great game. Also no joke that town hub theme is probably my favorite track of the year.

They're very different games to where I don't really see the point of pitting them up against each other. Personally I'm not even sure if I'd consider SteamWorld Dig 2 a "Metroidvania", which isn't a bad thing at all.

SWD2 is a very straight forward metroidvania and so is HK. No two games are exactly alike so I'm not sure why one wouldn't compare two games of the same genre. I actually felt reminded of HK a lot during my SWD2 playthrough (which is a good thing), especially in the
toxic waste
area.

Top Bottom