• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

ManeKast

Can we possibly get a better thread title than 'shaun white simulator'?! Game is SO much more than what that implies, it also deserves far more exposure, so many people are like;

Q. WHERES MY SNOWBOARDING GAME THIS GEN?!

A: RIGHT HERE

Truly great game. Turned a few people onto it who love it now. They couldn't believe the reviews in hindsight.

Is SSX arcadey experiences what ppl want more?! This game is, absolutely, DOPE. And nothing like SSX. True mountain warrior game.

Fonds

Can we possibly get a better thread title than 'shaun white simulator'?! Game is SO much more than what that implies, it also deserves far more exposure, so many people are like;

It's also very inaccurate. If this were a Shaun White simulator you'd actually be able to jib/grind. Plus rotations and flips would actually feel right.

Sure this game is fine as a big mountain riding game, but the depth for doing tricks is paper thin.

Ilmyr

Wow Alaska is very well done... and it's free!

I really like that the devs opened up the challenges for more variety. By that i mean that all types of challenges have less checkpoints to go through, so you can try out many different routes until you reach the goal.
Some wing-suit challenges from the base game were extremely hard and had only one route to win the gold medal. In Alaska you have plenty of possibilites to beat a challenge.

Wootball

Wow Alaska is very well done... and it's free!

I really like that the devs opened up the challenges for more variety. By that i mean that all types of challenges have less checkpoints to go through, so you can try out many different routes until you reach the goal.
Some wing-suit challenges from the base game were extremely hard and had only one route to win the gold medal. In Alaska you have plenty of possibilites to beat a challenge.

Every challenge in Alaska is far too easy though - it's 2 hours to finish it, max, and you'll never get anything other than gold if you were even half decent at the base game. Fallen Rocks was a pain in the ass but at least it came with a sense of reward. Alaska doesn't have that, you'll never need to retry a challenge more than twice.

Ilmyr

Every challenge in Alaska is far too easy though - it's 2 hours to finish it, max, and you'll never get anything other than gold if you were even half decent at the base game. Fallen Rocks was a pain in the ass but at least it came with a sense of reward. Alaska doesn't have that, you'll never need to retry a challenge more than twice.

I found the base game easy aswell apart from Falling Rocks, Flying Squirrel and Vallec Valley (Race) which were marginal ridiculous/frustrating.

But jeah, apparently the difficulty is important for some folks. For myself i like the variety to go different routes... more freestyle. Thats what i like most in Steep and Alaska does it very well. It's less challenging, i agree!

Alaska is the best place for wingsuit imo

And did you noticed that we can now sort of "grind" on fallen trees. I'm really hoping they had proper grind and other figures/movements that are missing in the upcoming updates.

If they do this and if they have some more content coming after what is already announced I may even buy it again on Switch :p

ManeKast

It's also very inaccurate. If this were a Shaun White simulator you'd actually be able to jib/grind. Plus rotations and flips would actually feel right.

Sure this game is fine as a big mountain riding game, but the depth for doing tricks is paper thin.

I agree. On the tricks. Which is why the thread title's not so great. Anyway, as a mountain exploration simulator I love it. I tend to not do tricks unless for ed to in events. Just big slow air/tweaks, stylish carves and speed drops.

I'd be happy to change the thread title if anyone has other ideas. I threw the OT together in a hurry so there would be somewhere to discuss the game and it was just the first suggestion given to me by someone.

MrBlonde

I hope its easy cause I find the game very hard and frustrating and it has turned me off from playing

Does this new DLC automatically download or do I need to find it in the store? Curious how you get to Alaska, is it a fast travel from the main mountain?

ducksauce

I hope its easy cause I find the game very hard and frustrating and it has turned me off from playing

This, I have a hard time completing some medium challenges, I doubt I'll ever complete the hard ones. And when I do complete them it feels like it was more luck than skill. Some of the wing suit challenges are ridiculous. Sadly, the challenges are my least favorite part of the game.

MrBlonde

This, I have a hard time completing some medium challenges, I doubt I'll ever complete the hard ones. And when I do complete them it feels like it was more luck than skill. Some of the wing suit challenges are ridiculous. Sadly, the challenges are my least favorite part of the game.

Yep way to hard for me, maybe I suck but there is no way I am that bad and even some medium challenges are stupid hard, more frustrating then fun unfortunately...I hope Alaska is a little easier for me.

Wootball

Yep way to hard for me, maybe I suck but there is no way I am that bad and even some medium challenges are stupid hard, more frustrating then fun unfortunately...I hope Alaska is a little easier for me.

Post a video of a couple of the events you're struggling with, and we'll see if we can give some advice. Aside from three challenges (Vallec Village, Fallen Rocks and one I can't remember the name of) the Alps base game was pretty easy too.

ManeKast

Steep |OT| Jeremy Jones simulator

This title would be amazing and accurate for so many reasons...

YES.

100%. Or;

Steep |OT| Deeper. Further. Higher.

# everyone should watch these films btw. Amazing. Very in tone with how I play this game.

Gritesh

Steep |OT| Jeremy Jones simulator

This title would be amazing and accurate for so many reasons...
95% of people on these boards don't know who Jeremy Jones is lmfao

Man I've been sleeping on this game since reviews as an avid big mountain rider maybe I should bite the bullet and pick this up...

ironcreed

Banned
Absolutely loving this game.

I just picked it up yesterday and am in love with it as well. Incredibly fun gameplay, with some gorgeous visuals. My only problem is I just starting playing Horizon, but this will still get quite a bit of playing time from me. It's a hell of a nice change of pace.

Fonds

"Steep(er)|OT| Jeremy Jones simulator" would be a nice touch ;)

Probably most people don't know him, but heck... about 50% of the OT references are lost on me as well.
Let us snowboarders have something for a change!

Are all the Alaska events locked to high levels? I wanna play some of the towns and try out grinding mechanic but I'm only 19 and can't seem to access anything :(

Whoever picked out the soundtrack for this game must love Fox commercials for the new comedy of the season.

Whoa-oh-ohhh-oh

B-Dex

This has a free trial and is on sale on PSN right now. Was debating getting it but at least I can try it now before deciding.

Glad this had a free weekend on PSN. Ended up snagging it for $30 on a sale. I was very underwhelmed with the beta, but damn this is a fun game that I was sleeping on for too long. Haven't had the best weather for snowboarding in the north east this winter, so I'm living vicariously through this game. Such a laid back experience, just picking a line and cruising. Does anyone know the release date for the DLC pack with the winter sled? Looking forward to it.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I picked this back up after trying to get my friends to play this for the free weekend. Forgot how nice it can be just to cruise.

Finally hit level 25 for those good good free helicopter rides.

Initially I played using almost exclusively skis, just doing races. Now I'm doing the points challenges and snowboarding a lot more and I didn't realise how fun it could be.

Really looking forward to that sled DLC though. Apparently there's a live stream tonight which might say that?

jdstorm

Banned
Been playing a bunch recently. Its such a great chill game.

Paragliding mostly sucks and it wouldnt be a UBI game without endless collectables and follow missions.

Right now i'm working on making my riders look like Power Rangers so thats kind of neat.

As for an OT title change. It has to be

STEEP |OT| Mountains Edge

Edit: Steep is basically a fully realised Open World Mirrors Edge game with Ski's and Wingsuits. More people need to know this.

Hopefully UBI manage to add motion controls for the camera on the Switch version. Having a player controlled camera would be a huge improvement for this game.

yophlow

Banned

Q. WHERES MY SNOWBOARDING GAME THIS GEN?!

A: RIGHT HERE

Truly great game. Turned a few people onto it who love it now. They couldn't believe the reviews in hindsight.

Is SSX arcadey experiences what ppl want more?! This game is, absolutely, DOPE. And nothing like SSX. True mountain warrior game.

Can you offer some tips to help me enjoy this game? I don't care about arcadey experiences at all, and want the next great snowboarding game.

Everything just feels so janky. The riding isn't smooth or satisfying, the menu is cluttered and messy, how the online works is confusing, goals are obtuse. I love the concept, and I bought it ready to support this exact type of game. It just feels like every aspect misses the mark slightly, which drags the whole thing down a bunch.

jdstorm

Banned
Can you offer some tips to help me enjoy this game? I don't care about arcadey experiences at all, and want the next great snowboarding game.

Everything just feels so janky. The riding isn't smooth or satisfying, the menu is cluttered and messy, how the online works is confusing, goals are obtuse. I love the concept, and I bought it ready to support this exact type of game. It just feels like every aspect misses the mark slightly, which drags the whole thing down a bunch.

It really depends on what you want to like about the game. My best advice is play the snowboarding/Wingsuit challenges*. But once you finish the challenge keep riding down the mountain a fair way. Do the Daily recomended chalenges, and gradually the mountain (and your fast travel options will open up.)

*Snowboarding because its fun, Wingsuiting because you can just fly around and open up a bunch of fast travel points very quickly.

Edit: online is just a shared world. If you get close to people you can group up and you get a trick score booster, but its as accessible or as inaccessible as you want it to be.

You can also mostly ignore the menu. Just focus on going to the options menu and finding challenges that interest you at first. Once you start to level up the game automatically opens up new peaks/baloons which makes exploring easier.

yophlow

Banned
It really depends on what you want to like about the game. My best advice is play the snowboarding/Wingsuit challenges*. But once you finish the challenge keep riding down the mountain a fair way. Do the Daily recomended chalenges, and gradually the mountain (and your fast travel options will open up.)

*Snowboarding because its fun, Wingsuiting because you can just fly around and open up a bunch of fast travel points very quickly.

Edit: online is just a shared world. If you get close to people you can group up and you get a trick score booster, but its as accessible or as inaccessible as you want it to be.

You can also mostly ignore the menu. Just focus on going to the options menu and finding challenges that interest you at first. Once you start to level up the game automatically opens up new peaks/baloons which makes exploring easier.

When you level up, does your rider actually get better at things? Like landing, carving etc? It annoys me like crazy when you are going fast, then a slight bump for whatever reason damages you, then you have a high pitched ringing. That happens constantly through no apparent fault of my own, just the randomness of the slope.

Wootball

When you level up, does your rider actually get better at things? Like landing, carving etc? It annoys me like crazy when you are going fast, then a slight bump for whatever reason damages you, then you have a high pitched ringing. That happens constantly through no apparent fault of my own, just the randomness of the slope.

No, you don't improve in anything. As for the G-Force ringing, that's because you're hitting uneven snow without compensating, and probably holding the stick forward thinking it will make you go faster.

TV interpolation is key to enjoying this game. I play this on my X800D with MotionFlow and it looks and plays amazing at 60fps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TV interpolation is key to enjoying this game. I play this on my X800D with MotionFlow and it looks and plays amazing at 60fps.
Nothing improves jank like introducing unnecessary input lag.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This bump reminded me that this game was announced for Nintendo Switch. I wonder how that port is going and when we'll hear more about it.

jdstorm

Banned
At this point, i hope Ubi is just going to wait and launch the Switch Port alongside the DLC complete version launches on all platforms. Seems like the best way to do it.

At this point, i hope Ubi is just going to wait and launch the Switch Port alongside the DLC complete version launches on all platforms. Seems like the best way to do it.
Yeah I'm expecting this now. How much DLC is there or how much is to come?

This would be a great game to play in bed.

Really enjoying this game, looks stunning and the huge playing area is magnificent!

Only thing I'd wish for would be a Skidoo, driving up the snow covered peak (because walking is too slow!) and then jumping off of it with the Wingsuit, wouldn't that be neat?

jdstorm

Banned
Really enjoying this game, looks stunning and the huge playing area is magnificent!

Only thing I'd wish for would be a Skidoo, driving up the snow covered peak (because walking is too slow!) and then jumping off of it with the Wingsuit, wouldn't that be neat?

Once you hit level 25 you get unlimited fast travel tickets. You can fast travel anywhere almost instantly from the Mountain View screen.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Once you hit level 25 you get unlimited fast travel tickets. You can fast travel anywhere almost instantly from the Mountain View screen.

Yeah. In fact, in light of the fact that credits are a limited resource in game (as in once you've earned the ones from challenges there's no more), and there are more things to buy in game than there are credits, I'd strongly recommend against buying helicopter tickets at all.

YES.

100%. Or;

Steep |OT| Deeper. Further. Higher.

# everyone should watch these films btw. Amazing. Very in tone with how I play this game.
Damn straight. That's the series that my buddies and I watch starting around October. Now that the season is over here in the Rockies,I picked up this game. My copy arrives today. I'm hoping that it clicks with me.

Top Bottom