• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

Finished the game! Going to give my thoughts on everything including endings I haven't talked about yet in the order I got them.

Twin Automata
-
Maho End. I was close to laughing at the Sergeant Clean part. Moeka as a character was done well here and the Amadeus Kurisu fake-out sequence was great. Loved this ending for that.

Recursive Mother Goose
-
Kagari End. This ending definitely had the feels...

Promised Rinascimento
-
Amadeus Kurisu End. Can see why this is the ending that leads to the true ending with Okabe becoming Hououin Kyouma again and the whole forcing Kagari to have Kurisu's memories so Reyes can gain access to all of Kurisu's time machine knowledge. I really think they made Kagari look like Kurisu to get Okabe to react to it more with her having Kurisu's memories in her and having a chance of becoming Kurisu if Kurisu's memories take over.

Milky-Way Crossing
-
True Ending. Basically showing what leads up to Steins;Gate's true ending. An alright conclusion if not predictable. It really links the two games together well though.

As of right now, I'd say this game is probably a GOTY contender for me along with TMS #FE and Cold Steel 2. I'll just have to see. Really loved this like I did Steins;Gate, which was my GOTY last year!

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
S;G 0 doesn't have any H scenes does it? I loved the first game, but it could have done without them.

S;G 0 doesn't have any H scenes does it? I loved the first game, but it could have done without them.

There is definitely some fan service but nothing in terms of what you are describing.

Just a quick question might be a bit off topic, but is it possible to play visual novels on my MacBook from steam?

Some should definitely work on it though it may be a better idea to use bootcamp dual boot with Windows.

Just a quick question might be a bit off topic, but is it possible to play visual novels on my MacBook from steam?
I think a good number of Steam VNs are playable on OS X, so yes.

Worst case scenario, it's pretty easy to run some kind of alternate Windows boot like Parallels or Bootcamp or Wine.
Uh, Steins;Gate most definitely did not have H-scenes. It's not even remotely an eroge. There was some implied nudity during a shower scene or whatever, but that wasn't exactly hardcore stuff. I'd expect the same kind of fan service in S;G0.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I think a good number of Steam VNs are playable on OS X, so yes.

Worst case scenario, it's pretty easy to run some kind of alternate Windows boot like Parallels or Bootcamp or Wine.

Uh, Steins;Gate most definitely did not have H-scenes. It's not even remotely an eroge. There was some implied nudity during a shower scene or whatever, but that wasn't exactly hardcore stuff. I'd expect the same kind of fan service in S;G0.

That's what I meant. That doesn't count as an H scene?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

There is one scene
where Suzu is fighting another person naked
. This has been the only nudity I have had so far.

Talha

Perfect thanks for the reply guys, never played any game on a PC before and having played Steins Gate on the PS Vita, and platinuming it twice, I was really looking forward for more Visual Novels on the System. Living in Canada Steins Gate Zero is too expensive for the LE one I'm looking at $140-$150, and the regular edition is $50-$60. Unfortunately I can't make a new topic but would love to discuss other VN that would be great on Steam that may never see the light of Day on Vita or PS4. The only ones that we all know is coming next year with Limited Run Games is Narcissu and I'm hyped to play it and experience that story first hand. We should have a thread dedicated to upcoming Visual Novels on the Vita, PS4 to have a better idea of what's to come.

Fowler

Just got my first ending,
Gehenna's Stigma.

Spoilers for that ending:

It was funny, as stuff spiralled further and further downwards, as stuff went more and more out of control and clearly beyond "fixing", I still kept thinking that I can't possibly be on an ending strand because it's still way too early, I've only done like 4-5 chapters or something. I kept wondering how they'd come up with a way to fix Maho being messed up, all of Okabe's secrets spilling... as they kept piling up, as stuff like the time machine getting destroyed and WAR BREAKING OUT IN AKIHABARA happened, I'm still all like "yeah damn I wonder how they're going to get out of..." (credits roll) "...oh, right".

Raytow

To those that have reached true ending:
what do you guys think about Kagari? the whole Yuki replacement in one of the world lines, Kurisu in another, and the brainwashed from the future(in all of them) was a little bit too much for me, she is basically a walking plot device, rather than a proper character.

Igama

Neo Member
I got yesterday my first ending after
12-13
hours, it was the one called
"Promised Rinascimento" or something like that lol
. I was suprised because , I don't know, didn't expect it to be an ending at that point, but I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure how I ended on that route though. I think it has something to do with
the phone call before the worldline change which makes Okabe appear in the future
, will try later.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I don't like defeated Rintaro

I know some people found him irritating in the original, but man his inaction here is frustrating to read

To those that have reached true ending:
what do you guys think about Kagari? the whole Yuki replacement in one of the world lines, Kurisu in another, and the brainwashed from the future(in all of them) was a little bit too much for me, she is basically a walking plot device, rather than a proper character.

I understand somewhat why she was used how she was. The Yuki replacement was probably so she could be close to Mayuri and Suzuha while gaining information on what they were doing (plus it could be to make us question on who is really in the suit between Kagari, Moeka and Yuki depending on the world line).
Her having Kurisu's memories was to probably get the information from her to make the time machine and to make Okabe question what to do in regards to her about Kurisu's memories.
Brainwashing goes with all of this: it was Strategic Focus' way of getting Kurisu's information on the time machine via Kagari since Kagari was already mentally unstable when she went to the past. I find her okay as a character and I understand thinking of her as a plot device.
At least she isn't Kaede (doesn't really need to be there) or Fubuki (not really needed either except being one of those affected by the Reading Steiner-like disease) where they don't really provide anything. I mean, Kagari was also the one to help Okabe unknowingly by singing that song to him on the bench. She helped lead up to the conclusion unknowingly in a way. I think the best new character was Maho and I think some characters like Daru and even Moeka got development to make them more likable than the last game in my opinion.

Finished Steins 0 last monday, posted on the VN thread, but forgot to write here. Short summary of my post:

It's a good "sequel" to expand the universe and to get a different look at Okabe, it introduces a really strong character with Maho, but the rest of the new characters weren't really important and for the most part even "useless" (Kaede anyone), the first game had similar problems for me. I wasn't even then a big fan of the side characters, but even there, they were fleshed out a lot more thanks to the endings.

But the biggest flaw for me was the many slice of life moments and filler between the routes they didn't feel right this time with a more dark and serious atmosphere, i dont remember if the first one had more of them, but here they were a lot more striking.

it's really a shame, because i really enjoyed the meat of the story with the AI,the various subplots and the excellent soundtrack that reminded me of Infinity Abo in some moments!

I would give it a good 8.5, whereas the original was a 9 for me.

Steins 0 was good, but didn't give me the feels like the original did. I enjoyed my time with it and it wasn't a disappointment like ZTD, but there was so much more potential here.

Last year Steins Gate didnt have much competition and it was an easy top 5 VN, even Goty contender, this year however it's the complete opposite, with VNs like Fata Morgana and Root Double it isn't even a contest unfortunately.

Presage or Recognize having so many recycled scenes is a bummer. Maybe it's better when this isn't the last branch you are reading.

Presage or Recognize have so many recycled scenes is a bummer. Maybe it's better when this isn't the last branch you are reading.

Yeah, I just experienced the same thing. Would be better if they allowed you to use Skip Read Text to, you know, skip text that you read in the other branch.

Presage or Recognize having so many recycled scenes is a bummer. Maybe it's better when this isn't the last branch you are reading.

Yep it was kind of annoying reading/seeing the recycled scenes, but then again the new stuff added in there was decent enough.

I've got 5 out of the 6 endings now, so for the true ending I need to start from the shrine again for the phone call with
Amadeus
?

Guys, saw some people saying the original steins gate came with the ps4 version of steins gate 0. Is that correct? If not, is the first game coming out on ps4 at any point?

I have the first one on vita and I'm undecided if I should get 0 also on vita or jump to ps4.

Guys, saw some people saying the original steins gate came with the ps4 version of steins gate 0. Is that correct? If not, is the first game coming out on ps4 at any point?

I have the first one on vita and I'm undecided if I should get 0 also on vita or jump to ps4.

That was a bonus only for the release in Japan and there's no indication that the first Steins;Gate will ever come out in the West on the PS4.

jonjonaug

So I got the Vega and Altair ending.
I was surprised and very pleased at how they combined the Arc Light of the Point of Infinity drama CD with the new events in the game. I'm guessing this isn't the "true" ending of the game as a standalone work, but it works really well in terms of existing material with reaching the true ending of the original game. Freaking kickass ending scene too.

My first ending was the "Gehenna's Stigma" end which I guess is just
the generic bad end if you don't end up on any of the other paths
?

I just finished it and while I enjoyed it, it's not anything close to the original. It's too unfocused, tries to tackle too many subjects, and I feel a lot of threads were handled unsatisfactorily. The ending was anticlimatic, we knew that this story was about how the true ending of the first game came about, but I had hoped that this game would still be able to tell more of its own story and it didn't really do that in the end. Frontloading so many POV shifts in the early parts of the game wasn't a great idea either, especially now looking back some of them were for characters that never ended up mattering in the game and could have easily been cut.

Promised Rinascimento is the real climax of the game and what happened after that is actually not all that important. Hell they could have ended it right there. The whole Pandora’s Box branch of the story was the weaker part.

Oh and can someone tell me what the untranslated text in the true ending said?

Oh and can someone tell me what the untranslated text in the true ending said?

True Ending Text:

The universe has a beginning, but no end. -- Infinity.

Stars, too, have their own beginnings,
but their own power results in their destruction. -- Finite.

It is those who possess wisdom who are the greatest fools.
History has shown us this.

The fish in the sea know naught of the land.
If they had wisdom, they too would be destroyed.

And it is more absurd for man to travel faster than light than it is for fish to walk on land.

This is the story of those who fought against God's final ultimatum.

This is the epigraph of their obsession.

I got my first ending earlier.
Promised Rinascimento
:

It was a pretty enjoyable route to go through for my first play through. Some unanswered questions for sure, but the last act was really enjoyable.
Seeing Okabe start to realize what he needs to do to save Kurisu was pretty cool, and the bit where he has his confrontation with Suzuha and then goes through his Revival was incredibly exciting. And that whole showdown with Reyes was pretty good.

jonjonaug

So I got to the Sergeant Clean scene.

All of you complaining about the slice of life scenes in this game need to take that stick out of your ass. The SOL content in this game is brilliant.

EDIT: Finished the Maho route. I was expecting Okabe/Maho and got
Moeka/Maho
instead. This is very acceptable.

3 endings to go.

Hopefully the remaining ones tie them together a bit better. Of the ones I got it seems like information presented in one directly contradicts what we learn in others. Specifically
the report of finding Kagari's family.
I mean I guess it's inconclusive so it doesn't explicitly contradict anything, but knowing what we know it's strange certain characters would even entertain the idea knowing where she's actually from.

But I shouldn't complain too much as I don't really like anything about
Kagari or her
plotlines. So I guess it's for the best they just kinda wrote her out of the Maho ending route which has been the absolute high point of the game for me.

I think I have an idea what the last turning point is for the path to the last 3 endings I'm missing, so I plan on clearing the rest of the game in the next couple days

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
After sitting on FFXV's ending for a few days, I finally worked up the will to plow through. It's sooo good.

I'm so excited I found a local shop a few days ago that got Steins;Gate 0 in for the Vita (they get in imports sometimes so I guess they "imported" it from that one Canadian site someone earlier in the thread mentioned?). :)

Ugh, you guys were right, the game is great (so far). I'm only 2.5 hours in but already love Maho, I'm just past the part where they show how
Suzuha comes from the future and takes Kagari with her, the girl that suspiciously looks like Kurisu.
. Does the game's true ending wrap everything up satisfyingly like the first game did?

Also, is it just me or is the new art even better than the art from the first game? Like it's obvious when they use character art from the 1st one and I thought I wouldn't appreciate the new art direction, but I think I actually prefer it.

_Ryo_

Question
Recursive Mother Goose - Kagari End. (I Think)

So who hears that song first? It seems to go in a complete circle. How does that make sense? My head hurts. :(

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Also how long did it take you guys to get to the true ending? I remember the first game was about 20 hours, I'm hoping Steins;Gate 0 is longer.

antibolo

Banned
I want to see a cosplay of Dr. Leskinen. Complete with awkward unnatural hand position locked in at all times.

BTW someone in the previous page asked if it was PSTV compatible and I don't think it was answered. I can confirm that yes, at least the NA version. I've been mostly "playing" the game while eating meals at home, unexpectedly.

Also how long did it take you guys to get to the true ending? I remember the first game was about 20 hours, I'm hoping Steins;Gate 0 is longer.

Mine was
18 Hrs 18 Mins
. I just put my time in spoilers so people that don't want to see it don't have to. Some of this was skipping past dialogue, but that was what the screen with all the endings had when I was done. It feels shorter than the first game for me personally. I actually don't mind this since I liked what I got out of the game. One of my favorite games of the year right now and will definitely be in my top 5 unless some games I need to beat and get for this year swoop in and stun me.

So I got to the Sergeant Clean scene.

All of you complaining about the slice of life scenes in this game need to take that stick out of your ass. The SOL content in this game is brilliant.

Now, I'm remembering that scene.
"Nae-sama! Hai, Nae-sama"
One of my favorite of the SOL type scenes in the game. I don't mind the SOL scenes in this game as they help lift the darker tone in the game while not being too out of place from what I can remember, having finished the game recently.

1.25 hours in and I'm already hooked.
It's super cool seeing the same old characters in new clothes, but my god does it get dark quickly. I hope there's a little more humour sprinkled in because I loved that in the first game.

It's funny when the characters are texting each other and use stickers based on themselves, but it's weird that there's a Kurisu sticker given the story premise.

The new control scheme on Vita is throwing me off a lot, because I jumped on this immediately after getting the true ending for the first one. I miss scrolling with the dpad.

antibolo

Banned
So I assume getting the true ending is much less convoluted than the first game? As in you can hope to reach it without following a guide?

So I assume getting the true ending is much less convoluted than the first game? As in you can hope to reach it without following a guide?

It's more straightforward than the first game and it's a lot easier to reach as well. Some people might still need one, but I personally felt I didn't need a guide to get to each ending.

Yeah. What trigger's the True End Route in this game is obtaining another specific ending. The one you need is called
The Promised Rinascimento

There's no incredibly specific text message responses you need to trigger any ending in this game. All you have to do is be able to identify where the routes split, which shouldn't be too hard if you've played the first game.

I have all the endings except for the true ending. Where does that break off from the previous paths? Is it like the last game where skip will stop once you get dialog you haven't seen yet?

I have all the endings except for the true ending. Where does that break off from the previous paths? Is it like the last game where skip will stop once you get dialog you haven't seen yet?

The true ending
occurs after Vega & Altair if you've seen the D-Rine sent in the Promised Rinascimento. The D-Rine appears after the shrine scene in Closed Epigraph so you probably have to go to a save before that and then skip through the game until the Vega&Altair ending.

By default the game will not skip over unread text.

The true ending
occurs after Vega & Altair if you've seen the D-Rine sent in the Promised Rinascimento. The D-Rine appears after the shrine scene in Closed Epigraph so you probably have to go to a save before that and then skip through the game until the Vega&Altair ending.

Yeah. Just load a Quick Save from where Okabe
decides whether to turn his phone off
and go down the
Leave it on
route

The true ending

Yeah. Just load a Quick Save from where Okabe
decides whether to turn his phone off
and go down the
Leave it on
route
Thank guys

antibolo

Banned
Yeah. What trigger's the True End Route in this game is obtaining another specific ending. The one you need is called
The Promised Rinascimento

There's no incredibly specific text message responses you need to trigger any ending in this game. All you have to do is be able to identify where the routes split, which shouldn't be too hard if you've played the first game.

Huh I just reached that ending as my first one.

I guess I should try to find other endings first though.

antibolo

Banned
Apologies in advance if that question has already been answered but what's with the "Read and ignored a message" trophy? I've been doing this all the time since the beginning of my second playthrough but it still hasn't triggered??

Apologies if that question has already been answered but what's with the "Read and ignored a message" trophy? I've been doing this all the time since the beginning of my second playthrough but it still hasn't triggered??

The trophy doesn't trigger until you see an ending while doing it. And make sure you never even read the RINE message.

FDC1

Is everyone ok on Vita after update 1.02? Maybe it's just a bad coincidence, but after I have installed it, game says my save is corrupted (luckily I had just starded yesterday, I only lost 45mn) and I have no sound. Backup your save before updating just in case.

Edit: I just saw on this topic it's a known problem. Well, let's restart from the scratch.

Is everyone ok on Vita after update 1.02 which appeared tonight? Maybe it's just a bad coincidence, but after I have installed it, game says my save is corrupted (luckily I had just starded yesterday, I only lost 45mn) and I have no sound. Backup your save before updating just in case.

Is there a new update? or did you just start? I know that was an issue with the initial update.

I just finished playing and received no prompts to update during my session while connected to PSN. Backed up my saves to Plus Cloud so I should be good if it wants to update during my next boot

Top Bottom