• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

Stella looked cool from the trailers.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Luna. Other than the fact that I don't think she's a suitable replacement for Stella.

The sparse footage of Luna that we've seen gives me the impression that her role in the game is going to be small in terms of agency, and will likely be someone Noctis needs to rescue mostly.

Compared to Stella, who had her own sword powers like Noctis and looked to be his equal/rival in combat, which looked a lot better to me than someone who just sits in a chair clutching her chest..

I may be trivializing a bit but I honestly don't see what Luna adds over Stella. At least to me it seems an interesting character was replaced with one that doesn't inspire any confidence as to whether she will do more than say some things and possibly get rescued by Noctis and co.

We've only seen a small part of the game so this could change in the final product but Luna's design and demeanor in the trailer doesn't inspire confidence towards this.

Agreed on every single word, i'm not bummed cause of the design, but cause Stealla passed an cool vibe and in the trailers it was clearly she liked Noctis but would have to fight him, fantasy romeo and juliet, and many even joked that she would be one of the late game bosses... Luna appears that will be the damsel that we have to rescue of a late game boss.. :(

AESplusF

They say Nojima already wrote the entire story. But they had to change and cut stuff (such as Stella and the party scene).

Akiyama was not even mentioned in the ATR...

I was under the impression that the original team collaborated with the new team for a period of time before the og team left, in order to make revisions cooperatively.

I was under the impression that the original team collaborated with the new team for a period of time before the og team left, in order to make revisions cooperatively.

Nope. They did talk to Nojima after all the changes and Nojima had a generic statement read on the ATR, but he did not make the changes or had a say in the matter.

Mory Dunz

Stella didn't really exist. Nothing really existed. It was just random cutscenese from a game that was at least a decade out that may not have even made it in.

And the way they're talking, this game is like November 2017 at the veryyyy earliest imo.

So KH3 is right around the corner....Nov 2020.

Zafir

Man, and to think, way back when, while I was still in secondary school I was super hyped about Versus XIII after it had first been shown.

Now, every single thing I hear about it just makes me think I'll dislike it more and more.

Fbh

I feel like there is something to be said here...

What?
The fact I think he created a character that looked cool for a few seconds in a trailer now means I can't think Nomura sucks?

I also can't say that Sixth Sense was a pretty good movie because I think everything else M.Night Shyamalan has directed is terrible?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN the city party scene has been removed completely?! ;_;

And RIP Stella. She was the best badass.

I also have no confidence in the Dissidia writer, but may she's improved.

I also thought XV was supposed to have a trailer or something at E3? Maybe I was imagining things.

Man, talk about bummer.

AESplusF

Nope. They did talk to Nojima after all the changes and Nojima had a generic statement read on the ATR, but he did not make the changes or had a say in the matter.

Welp I'm just going to hope for the best, it's taken so long, at least it's still happening in some form.
I'm honestly more excited for XVI and beyond at this point, now that Square seems to maybe be getting their shit together.

Gbraga

Stella didn't really exist. Nothing really existed. It was just random cutscenese from a game that was at least a decade out that may not have even made it in.

And the way they're talking, this game is like November 2017 at the veryyyy earliest imo.

I used to think "man, it's so weird to think that some people who were excited for Versus XIII will be dead by the time it comes out", now I just hope I'm not one of them.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN the city party scene has been removed completely?! ;_;

The way I interpret it, they wouldn't have time for it. Game starts in Duscae, the bros in a road trip, Regis and Niflheim are signing a treat, the radio signal is weak where they are, but they suspect something is up seeing stuff like troops moving torwards Lucis. By the time they get there, shit has already hit the fan, and they try to fight to protect their crystal (E3 2013 trailer maybe?), but in vain (Noctis is even reported dead), then the actual revenge/get the crystal back story that was already in place back when it was still Versus really starts.

November 2017 seems way too far off, especially if they are going to start beginning to heavily market the full game at gamescom. That would be another 2 years. That would be insane.

Welp I'm just going to hope for the best, it's taken so long, at least it's still happening in some form.
I'm honestly more excited for XVI and beyond at this point, now that Square seems to maybe be getting their shit together.

Likewise. I've been getting less and less hyped the more they talk about XV and the more they announce new games (like the new Dissidia, SO5 and even the FFType-1 video). I just hope we move on soon.

Kain

Maybe we have a real trailer for KH3 this year. Nomura must be doing something a part from designing awful Batman costumes.

I know the Osaka team is handling KH3, but still, Nomura is the lord and saviour of KH.

I'm not seeing this "Luna is a damsel" thing. Is there any concrete information on that besides just trying to read between the lines of the trailers?

luffxan

Saw that title and was momentarily concerned. Glad Luna is confirmed ~ makes everything better
low key still doubtful the game comes out well

Maybe we have a real trailer for KH3 this year. Nomura must be doing something a part from designing awful Batman costumes.

I know the Osaka team is handling KH3, but still, Nomura is the lord and saviour of KH.

Nomura confirmed that there will be KH3 news this year (if not at E3, then in November).

And his Batman design was cool =X

Geg

I'm not seeing this "Luna is a damsel" thing. Is there any concrete information on that besides just trying to read between the lines of the trailers?

It's as much speculation/filling in blanks as the whole "Stella is a secret agent" stuff

I liked the demo but man, I don't know what the complete package will be like when they get on the other side of this.
Maybe it's just the increased visibility but the apparent fumbling around is reaching Lost writers levels.

You were too beautiful for this world.

PWKQWI5.png
That's not Stella. That's Luna!

See? They're so similar I don't know why we're even lamenting this. A slightly different hairdo and bone structure is all that's different between Stella and Luna other than the name.

We all knew next to nothing about Stella and her game 9 years in development hell.

I won't miss her. I never knew her.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't trust Tabata after completing Type-0.

My buzz for this game has hit a low I never thought was possible over the past decade.

Gentleman, ladies.

The captain has abandoned ship.

Mydreamisdead.

!EVEILEB :'(

Coxy

Those city scenes and the romeo & juliet story were what was exciting me about the game, Stella was the most interesting character. Worrisome.

artsi

Nah. According to the information we have so far, all we know is that she's a royal princess, she made her way out of a war zone to another country and wants to meet Noctis for some reason.

Can't really say she's a damsel in distress just based on that.

Agreed on every single word, i'm not bummed cause of the design, but cause Stealla passed an cool vibe and in the trailers it was clearly she liked Noctis but would have to fight him, fantasy romeo and juliet, and many even joked that she would be one of the late game bosses... Luna appears that will be the damsel that we have to rescue of a late game boss.. :(
We literally know NOTHING yet guys. A short scene of Luna sitting at a table "waiting" means nothing!

Wait and give her the benefit of the doubt, guys. Seriously.

Kain

My buzz for this game has hit a low I never thought was possible over the past decade.

Gentleman, ladies.

Mydreamisdead.

Cheer up, maybe they fix Type-0 in PC!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Gentleman, ladies.

Mydreamisdead.

I haven't trusted him for a while now.

ZangBa

This game might as well be Destiny, it's a Frankenstein monster of a game at this point. I hope sometime after this game releases we get information for what the story was in its Versus days. It could still turn out well but I have 0 confidence in anything Square-Enix since FFXIII. This looks like a trainwreck I'll reluctantly purchase on day 1 because I'm an idiot fan who should know better.

Edit: One more thing. Whoever wrote the "story" to that FFX novel where Tidus blows his head up by kicking a bomb he thought was a blitzball or whatever, for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE tell me that person isn't working on this.

jimmypython

Gentleman, ladies.

Mydreamisdead.

The FF12 situation all over again, only way worse this time: (1) FF12 only lost Matsuno not the whole gang of core staff; (2) FF12 got Ito after, who is equally capable. Tabata can make OK games (CCFF7 and Type-0). And he is slowly making progress, but certainly not at a same level of Nomura, that's for sure.

Jisgsaw

Wait, that wasn't Stella in the latest trailer?

Seriously, they could have just shut up and no one would have noticed they swapped the femal lead...

Klossen

Banned
Edit: One more thing. Whoever wrote the "story" to that FFX novel where Tidus blows his head up by kicking a bomb he thought was a blitzball or whatever, for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE tell me that person isn't working on this.
I believe that was Nojima. And yes, he's still a writer on FFXV.

The FF12 situation all over again. Only way worse this time, for (1) FF12 only lost Matsuno not the whole gang of core staff; (2) FF12 got Ito after, who is equally capable. Tabata can make OK games (CCFF7 and Type-0). And he is slowly making progress, but certainly not at a same level of Nomura, that's for sure.

Actually Ito was director of FF12 from the start (while Matsuno was producer & director). It's probably what saved the game as far as gameplay is concerned. Matsuno had nothing to do with FF12's battle system.

Hiroshi Minagawa is the one who ascended to a director role after Matsuno's departure.

Arxisz

Stella + Dissidia scriptwriter announcement just halved my interest in the game, went from "day one" to "I'll see how it ends up..."

Ray Down

Banned

Seriously, they could have just shut up and no one would have noticed they swapped the femal lead...

No that was Luna, they said that shortly after the trailer came out.

Stella hasn't been seen since E3 2013.

Ok so no FFXV for this E3. What about KH3?

Jesus, you'd think that by now Square would've learned not to announce projects so soon. Just like Versus XIII was revealed waaaaaaay too fucking soon they now rerevealed it as XV in 2013 and its 2015 and is about to skip its second E3!

And KH3 has been worse. Revealed in 2013 and has skipped virtually every trade show since then. Will they skip also this E3 as well?

Square's managed by monkeys I swear.

Kain

Well... that was Nojima, the guy who is not writing the script anymore. He is now credited as Story Concept. Now the script is being done by Saori Itamuro, who I had no idea who she was until I a while ago, she apparently was a planner for Dissidia. Does that calm your mind? Mine sure doesn't.

Go_Ly_Dow

I thought you liked Type-0? :p

Type-0's cast was full of god awful cliche's. Awful narrative structure, ending, final boss and just poor general story telling.

Even if a Nomura game has a flaw it still has his indentity stamped on it.

Tabata's identity will be whatever the feedback forums and marketers tell him to do.

Yeah seriously. Who cares about this vaporware girl who existed in that one trailer for a cancelled game for PS3? She was reworked into a helpless princess before getting deleted anyway.

We knew nothing besides her appearance and name and still Luna is so fucking similar many didn't even notice they're "different" characters.

Sounds like SquareEnix pulled Nomura off this project and is now playing damage control just before it turned into a Kojima/Konami situation.
FF15 can't be permitted to fail now. 8 million units or bust.
Best of luck, guys!

Top Bottom