• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

Dark_castle

She was a RPG Planner for both Dissidia and Dissidia 012. The role involved taking the scenario and implementing it in the game itself. The scenario script for both Dissidia games are credited to Harunori Sakemi and Daisuke Watanabe, with Toriyama as the scenario supervisor. Saori Itamuro is only credited as RPG Planner.

Having said that, her role on FFXV is Lead Scenario Designer. Not screenplay. She leads the scenario team implementing the story into the game. So there is a group of writers and no one is doing all the work alone.

Actually

DZrBCFq.png

jett

D-Member
Nojima is absolutely awful. Never going to understand the people that think he's actually a good writer.

Writing off the current female characters in the narrative just because they haven't been really focused on in marketing material up to this point, and just because they aren't what was shown in Versus XIII, does the plot of FFXV a disservice. That much I feel comfortable saying.

edit: bad@speeling.

A very reasonable post.

Turin

Banned
This game's going to be an oddball when it comes out. I think most of us were expecting that. It can still be a great game I think.

XVI needs Hiroyuki Ito though. Fingers crossed for that one. lol

Muffdraul

Nojima is absolutely awful. Never going to understand the people that think he's actually a good writer.

Yes, I also find it puzzling when people like stuff I hate.

His stories are weird as shit. Original, unusual, and inventive. I like that.
After FFVIII's orphanage plot twist I was all "Nojima, I ain't even mad."

Koozek

Jesus, some of you...

I know, it's crazy, but has someone, like, considered that the changes they made were for the better?
As much as I'm hyped and passionate about this game since Versus days, the story always has been the one aspect that I was worried about the most. I can't stand Nojima and Nomura's silly, convoluted writing anymore. The only thing that made me a bit hopeful was the fact that Nomura himself promised that the story would be simpler and more relatable than usual.
The setting and premise of FFXVersus is what I find so exciting first and foremost. Unfortunately SE just doesn't have good writers working on FFs (haven't played XI/XIV, though). I'm not even expecting anything anymore story-wise of this series. I'll just hope FFXVI has new writers who are capable of working outside of silly Anime archetypes and tropes. Why not getting fresh, international blood in the writing department, too, like with the rest of Tabata's team (see the new Tech Demo video)!?.

Who knows, maybe Stella was badly written and not significant enough for the story later on (in the first game at least, if it was planned as a saga).
Stella already wasn't as "fierce" in the trailers after the 2008 one, where her and Noctis were about to fight each other, anyway, if we're unfairly going by the little we saw (as many here do with Luna). Luna could still be Noctis' opponent later on. Nobody knows yet.

If Luna's putting her hands in front of her chest is already enough evidence for her not being as strong a woman, then you could say the same about the 2009 Stella that moved and behaved like your typical anime girl in the trailer where she talks with Noctis at the party. Granted, I haven't actually read again completely what she says in that video, but Luna is judged by some here based only on gestures and body language from a few seconds of footage, too.

Now look at this:
She looks serious and determined. Luna = strong woman confirmed!!!

Chill and wait until we see more.

PS: Listen to Falk.

Brocken

Banned
Oh God, the martyrising of Nomura after years of backlash is one of the most laughable things of all times. Second only to that of Matsuno, where every of his failure is always the fault of someone else. Now the enemy is Tabata because is trying to rebuild a game that was barely vaporware from seven years, and we had to read the rant of those who had idealized, relying on nothing, characters and plot. Not to mention the alleged insider that come out just when things are formalized.

Just sad that an artist spend countless hours creating her. And then see all his work thrown into the bin.

Kinda blame Nomura for that one. Like Falk said, Nomura tends to think up the concept first, then how to "work it in" later.

Also, people act like they aren't aware of the changes that go into the creative process. When you write a story, rarely ever does the finished result resemble the first concepts and treatments. Even later, plot ideas and characters can be cut to keep pacing. This happens all the time. The only difference is that rarely do studios let you in on the process at such an early period than you are actually aware of it. That's Square Enix's fault. But regardless, this type of thing happens all the time. Look how much Biggs Darklighter's role was whittled down in the first Star Wars movie(not counting the scene that was reinstated in the newer Lucas cut). There's a reason it was(the pacing just flows better without it), but regardless, it was still a plot point that was meant to build character between Luke and his friend. There was effort and dedication put into that character building, and hell, the scenes that were filmed(it was actually filmed). It's just, to keep the movie tight, it had to be cut. It's essential that these sorts of things happen. If you want a good idea of an early to end point of the writing process, and you're a horror fan, I suggest reading Wes Craven's first draft of "A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors"(which can be found easily on the net) and watch the final movie, which is based on Frank Darabont and Chuck Russell(who also directed it)'s draft based on Craven's, after many rewrites. See how things get tweaked, unchanged or just plain written out. As my creative writing and playwriting teachers have said(many years ago), the process of writing a story is a "living" one that is always evolving. Even if you are finished, you still find yourself making changes for the best. This is why scenes and such are cut at the last minute.

You jest but you reminded me one of the things that I hated the most of that scene!

Those shoes!

Those incredible ugly shoes!

Asco, I hope that they have a better shoe designer because I can't deal with them...

Noctis ones are kind of cute but I like him more with boots =P

Oh man, I know! They've got the incredibly impractical high heel, but without any hint of sexiness. They're an affront to fashion and function.

So far I find Luna to be admirably attired, but we don't know what monstrosities lurk on her feet beneath the table!

Kagari or Falk. Is the Leviathan scene still intact? That's form the new develpment team, right? Not part of Nomura's concepts that were not yet integrated into the story.

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times before.

DR2K

Banned
I don't understand the removing of Stella, she was such an integral character to the original vision of the game and her exclusion would allow the story to be self contained.

We took out Juliet from Romeo and Juliet, but we're totally doing our best to stick to the original vision.

we know they're going to be making sequals to 15, based on common sense alone. So will Stella reemerge in one of those or have they completely removed her and all aspects of what she'd bring to the lore completely?

benzy

Kagari or Falk. Is the Leviathan scene still intact? That's form the new develpment team, right? Not part of Nomura's concepts that were not yet integrated into the story.

Everything from the 2013 re-reveal is from XV and not VersusXIII prototype, including the Leviathan. Tabata wants to include that scene in the game.

I don't understand the removing of Stella, she was such an integral character to the original vision of the game and her exclusion would allow the story to be self contained.
Original visions of stories always change.

We took out Juliet from Romeo and Juliet, but we're totally doing our best to stick to the original vision.
There is no Romeo and Juliet of FFXV. There never was, even in Versus.

we know they're going to be making sequals to 15, based on common sense alone.
No we don't.

So will Stella reemerge in one of those or have they completely removed her and all aspects of what she'd bring to the lore completely?
Doubtful. She's gone the way of Detective Joe and Nicholas the Needle.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think it's insanely neat how they're using an actual Coleman tent. I wonder if there's gonna be other product placements.

KiN0

You jest but you reminded me one of the things that I hated the most of that scene!

Those shoes!

Those incredible ugly shoes!

Asco, I hope that they have a better shoe designer because I can't deal with them...

Noctis ones are kind of cute but I like him more with boots =P

The shoes were the first thing to catch my eye. They really don't go with that dress.

Ray Down

Banned

we know they're going to be making sequals to 15, based on common sense alone. So will Stella reemerge in one of those or have they completely removed her and all aspects of what she'd bring to the lore completely?

Well the vision has changed since then, happens all the time.

Was there even Romeo and Juliet in Versus? It was always seemingly Hamlet inspired and it could still be we need more details.

Stella is completely removed, they might have keep some aspects of her story from Versus but that just my guessing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think it's insanely neat how they're using an actual Coleman tent. I wonder if there's gonna be other product placements.

There clothes in are made/sponsored by Roen.

Next we will see Starbucks. :p

Falk

that puzzling face

I'm not disclosing any information that isn't already public, but consider that:

- on one hand, the 2013 E3 trailer was target render

- on the other hand, the 2013 E3 trailer was under the FFXV branding. The only things Tabata have said were discarded were under the Versus XIII branding.

That's all I can say on the subject.

Pooya

man, that trailer. it was fouuur years ago. People thinking it's coming that year (2011) lol :\ what a ride. tbh they showed quite a bit there more than we saw of current 15 lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not to mention the alleged insider that come out just when things are formalized.

If you're refering to me, I was at the recording session(s) as an engineer, and subsequently mixed close to all of the music in Episode Duscae, so kindly piss off.

Betty

Banned
I preferred old Stella, she had character aplenty and seemed capable, when she's acting all innocent at the gala I just assumed that was her hiding her true intentions against Noctis.

tumblr_n2rm4ntKOX1rb9rueo2_250.gif

Luna on the other hand looks like the overly cutesy, J-Pop idol design that many of FFXIII's female characters suffered from. She doesn't look very interesting and I'm really not excited to see more of her.

tumblr_ngvc1rb1f91sq2xoeo2_500.gif

Not only that, but the relationship that Noctis and Stella were to seemingly have, being adversarial at first and possibly working together down the line was a nice setup that I wanted to see payoff.

Now we never will.

Ray Down

Banned
Ah yes, the Roen clothes. I like them a lot.

And I think Starbucks would be awesome. They look exactly the type to go there a lot lol.

I'm expecting it I could have sworn Kagari said there would be more.

AT&T sponsors there phones. :p

man, that trailer. it was fouuur years ago. People thinking it's coming that year (2011) lol :\ what a ride. tbh they showed quite a bit there more than we saw of current 15 lol.

To bad every time they showed Versus in the past it was always an old and scraped build. :p

I'll say I liked Stella's design more, but I think anyone commenting on what they "thought" Stella and Noctus's relationship were should read Falk's post. He/she brings up a lot of great points.

The Dissidia writer on the other hand is very worrisome.

Was there even Romeo and Juliet in Versus? It was always seemingly Hamlet inspired and it could still be we need more details
There is no inspiration by Hamlet either. Everything I've read(regarding the Hamlet connection AND Romeo+Juliet connection) is purely based on speculation of people seeing the quote, seeing WHO it's from, seeing "signs" within trailers and trying to piece the connection together through theories. The fact that the quote is from Hamlet doesn't mean the story will be BASED on Hamlet.

jett

D-Member
Yes, I also find it puzzling when people like stuff I hate.

His stories are weird as shit. Original, unusual, and inventive. I like that.
After FFVIII's orphanage plot twist I was all "Nojima, I ain't even mad."

More like insane, convoluted and nonsensical. Perfectly describes the event you mentioned. :p

I'll say I liked Stella's design more, but I think anyone commenting on what they "thought" Stella and Noctus's relationship were should read Falk's post. He/she brings up a lot of great points.

The Dissidia writer on the other hand is very worrisome.

Can we put this to bed already? Quoting duckroll here
She was a RPG Planner for both Dissidia and Dissidia 012. The role involved taking the scenario and implementing it in the game itself. The scenario script for both Dissidia games are credited to Harunori Sakemi and Daisuke Watanabe, with Toriyama as the scenario supervisor. Saori Itamuro is only credited as RPG Planner.

Having said that, her role on FFXV is Lead Scenario Designer. Not screenplay. She leads the scenario team implementing the story into the game. So there is a group of writers and no one is doing all the work alone.

She didn't write Dissidia.

Can't say I care about Stella being removed (we've seen her a total of two minutes, big deal) but damn it still feels like XV is so far away.

The worst thing about Final Fantasy XV so far is not the removal of Stella, or the staff change, or the changes from Versus XIII. It is the branding like Roen and the Coleman camping stuff. It really sucks =/

#TeamLuna

Rising_Hei

I'll agree that the story is pretty barebones for an FF, but for an MMO it's not terrible. And most of the best writing is hidden in shitty fetch quests that everyone clicks through which is S-E's fault, but it's still there.

What's noteworthy is the English localization. They really go out of their way to retain meaning and improve writing wherever possible. And for what it's worth I think the story's vastly improved since 2.0, the content updates have made the player character feel more involved in the politics of the story. 2.0's story revolved around dealing with pissed off NPC's from 1.0 whom most of us never interacted with or cared about.

I'm super critical of FFXIV but the writing isn't quite as bad as you're painting it.
Well to be honest, i really enjoyed 2.0 initial campaign, 9/10 to be honest (except all that noble nosense and grind near Ishgard), some filler quest but the plot and writing was awesome, then for the patches it all went downhill and quality was nowhere to be found, imo (it bored me to hell). I think it bores me because there's so many blablabla that has nothing to do with what you're seeing on the cutscene.

They still have long way to go to reach FFXI's Zilart and Chains of Promathia quality, those kept getting more interested as more patches were being released, not the opposite, which is what happenes imho. But to be fair we'd have to wait for the expansionto see if they can reach those heights, which i highly doubt if they just copy the "content route" they followed for 2.0

I just have the feeling that they go all out with initial content, which is where they have most of the manpower, and then patches suddenly get boring and crappy with almost no imagination, it's as if 10 times less people were working on them (it's a couple of guys that do all the content for the patches, am i right? this might explain it.)

raven777

The worst thing about Final Fantasy XV so far is not the removal of Luna, or the staff change, or the changes from Versus XIII. It is the branding like Roen and the Coleman camping stuff. It really sucks =/

#TeamLuna

You know that Roen was in the game way back in Versus days, right?

Narroo

Removing a character from the story this late in development, after they gave her a bunch of CGI treatment? That's not a good sign, unless they really just did little more than a name swap with "Luna."

That said, the whole romance subplot as shown so far was looking a bit terrible. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just that badly written.

-The script writer who worked on Dissidia Final Fantasy is working on FFXV.

Oh dear god no. This is just as bad as before.

Top Bottom