• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

Then they should've made another game altogether.

We wanted Versus XIII, but then they use its rotten corpse on a string to try and lure us. The shitstorm is 100% warranted.

They're showing complete contempt for the autorship of the original team. Replacing much of the key people who put years of their lives into the project, changing shit all around. And you expect us fans to take the progressive destruction of a game from a director we like with a smile? Fuck no.

Jesus christ.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

We wanted Versus XIII, but then they use its rotten corpse on a string to try and lure us. The shitstorm is 100% warranted.

They're showing complete contempt for the autorship of the original team. Replacing much of the key people who put years of their lives into the project, changing shit all around. And you expect us fans to take the progressive destruction of a game from a director we like with a smile? Fuck no.
The "authorship of the original team" couldn't get a game done. I do think if you read between the lines, Nomura was a dud as a AAA producer.

How nice would all of our designs be if we had 6-7 years to iterate without end? As I said a few pages back.. I'm involved in creative design. Designers have deadlines. "Great works aren't completed, they escape" etc.

Nomura forfeited his chance. It's nice that he has people to defend him, but there's a reason why his design will be compromised. He couldn't corrall it into a game. The man put in his place? It's his job to cut down those ideas so that a game will be made. Tabata's mandate is to change the design, because it wasn't a game, it was an endless debacle.

Valor

All the FF female cast > Lightning.

It is not really an achievement.

Untrue. Rinoa is a part of the female cast. So is Quistis. So is Edea. Selphie. Okay, all of VIII's female cast. Does Squall count? Is that sexist? It might be. I still put him on the list.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All the FF female cast > Lightning.

It is not really an achievement.
I adored Lightning before I played her game. Adored. Easy to do when you're just an idea of a character that you haven't even seen in action yet.

This thread is sky high on fanboy dreams that were never a reality. Sky high.

Ray Down

Banned
So under what circumstances do you guys think Noctis and crew leave Insomnia in the beginning? They leave before Nifelheim attacks, and it seems like they only find out about the attack on the radio. I wonder if we'll get to play in Insomnia in the beginning of the game when things are calm before the attack, and then perhaps get sent on a mission to Lestallum or Altissia (Accordo?) to find Luna or something? The whole story circumstances have been changed. I'd love to explore Insomnia in the beginning of the game, but I doubt that will happen.

In the demo they state they were heading on a mission to go to Cauthess, the disk to see if the Archaean Titan has awoken.

WolvenOne

You clearly cared enough to post in here!

Eh, mostly just surprised that this is still going on. It seems like a, "much ado about nothing," story, not something that deserves thirty pages of commentary. I'm also shocked that so many people are attached to this character, given that she appeared for a few seconds in a trailer and had no dialogue that I can recall. I mean her design was kinda interesting, but really we knew nothing really concrete about her.

I dunno, just seems to me that people should wait and see a story before they actually complain about it.

Man I am surprised this thread is still going lol but I get the hate for not having Stella and how XV isn't Versus, to a T anymore, but as long as it has the overall dark storyline and feel, plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6At_bb1PNU that, then I will be a happy man. And it seems like they are doing all they can to bring the Phantom Swords and all the warp combat in :)

That trailer is beautiful.

DSix

Banned
You all fell in love with a concept that was stuck in development hell for 9 years.

The "authorship of the original team" couldn't get a game done
Square Enix never gave Versus XIII the proper means to be made, FFXIII release and FFXIV rescue mission siphoned all budget and manpower from it. Nomura and co. have been fairly clear about this frustrating situation.

People want this game and it's going to make a lot of money. Auteur BS doesn't really hold when you're talking tens (likely near a hundred at this point) of millions of dollars.

For a multitude of reasons, we didn't get the original game with its original vision. It's unfortunate, but shows how this auteurism doesn't hold much water at the end. You can dislike the changes, but canning a game that you can make a lot of money on is dumb.
Sadly, I know you're right, too much at stake for the company. But then again, why even remove the prime AAA lead staff for a Tabata who's done nothing but PSP games?! This sounds oddly like some corporate battle got lost somewhere. I'd very like to know the truth about it someday.

Gbraga

Man I am surprised this thread is still going lol but I get the hate for not having Stella and how XV isn't Versus, to a T anymore, but as long as it has the overall dark storyline and feel, plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6At_bb1PNU that, then I will be a happy man. And it seems like they are doing all they can to bring the Phantom Swords and all the warp combat in :)

That trailer is beautiful.

That's all I want confirmed to me as well, do you remember the CGI ending part of the 2011 Versus trailer, with Ignis and Noctis plotting revenge? I want that as well.

I love the upbeat Duscae stuff, I truly do, but only because it fits the story at that part. It feels like four bros on a roadtrip becauase that's exactly what it is. But I want the darker tone when necessary as well.

If that's still in, I'm happy.

Sadly, I know you're right, too much at stake for the company. But then again, why even remove the prime AAA lead staff for a Tabata who's done nothing but PSP games?! This sounds oddly like some corporate battle got lost somewhere. I'd very like to know the truth about it someday.

Well new ambitious blood is something SE needs first off and secondly a good amount of the original guys just left, so they HAD to be replaced. Some were removed as well, but a good amount left.

That's all I want confirmed to me as well, do you remember the CGI ending part of the 2011 Versus trailer, with Ignis and Noctis plotting revenge? I want that as well.

I love the upbeat Duscae stuff, I truly do, but only because it fits the story at that part. It feels like four bros on a roadtrip becauase that's exactly what it is. But I want the darker tone when necessary as well.

If that's still in, I'm happy.

Yup, and Tabata said that it will still be dark overall as well. I think Duscae was meant to be lighter just due to it not having much story and to show a different side of the game we never knew existed, the light heartedness of it.

But thats why I am so hyped for Gamescom, since all the new info and new trailer will come out, hopefully one similarish to past CG trailers.

I adored Lightning before I played her game. Adored. Easy to do when you're just an idea of a character that you haven't even seen in action yet.

This! I was actually, when FFXIII and FF Versus XIII were announced, more anticipating FFXIII and it's world over Versus. Versus, to me, seemed like Nomura and his group were trying to make something similar to Advent Children, visually and tone. Basically, "Look at me, I'm so moody but also BADASS!", in a world with a similar color scheme of AC(muted colors galore). FFXIII looked more interesting, more colorful and more fantastical. Then... I played and completed it, and since then and the release of much more info and trailers of Versus and FFXV, I've completely shifted in opinion, 180 degrees on both. Hell, I love the Duscae demo(it's got me pumped). If you told me back in 2006 that I'd feel this way now, I would NEVER believe you.

Ishida

Banned

That's why they are making another game.

And no, the shitstorm is not warranted. People are just going apeshit over their own personal fan fiction not being "official".

And regarding your last comment: Then just go away. Forget about this "destruction of a game" called FFXV. Your precious Versus XIII is not coming back. Ever.

javadoze

tumblr_nmkhnnEnOK1rmg5hso1_500.gif

Perfect.

Garlador

Well new ambitious blood is something SE needs first off and secondly a good amount of the original guys just left, so they HAD to be replaced. Some were removed as well, but a good amount left.

Yup, and Tabata said that it will still be dark overall as well. I think Duscae was meant to be lighter just due to it not having much story and to show a different side of the game we never knew existed, the light heartedness of it.

But thats why I am so hyped for Gamescom, since all the new info and new trailer will come out, hopefully one similarish to past CG trailers.

I like Nomura as much as the next guy, but from interviews with him and the general stagnation of Versus XIII, he wasn't in any hurry to get the project going, even after the issues with FFXIII and XIV got ironed out.

It reminds me of the animator Richard Williams who spent 30 years on his animated "masterpiece", the Thief & the Cobbler... only the studio eventually said "enough" and sent the film to some cheap studio to make so they could get it out the door and actually make SOME money off of it.

Hmm, but I wonder if this is before or after they learn of the Nifelheim attack?
The attack might happen at some point during this journey. Don't open if you haven't played the demo
The demo ending implied it happened after the Titan, but not sure

And no, the shitstorm is not warranted. People are just going apeshit over their own personal fan fiction not being "official".

And regarding your last comment: Then just go away. Forget about this "destruction of a game" called FFXV. Your precious Versus XIII is not coming back. Ever.
Brutal

You actually think Versus was actively being worked on all this time.

Cute

Ray Down

Banned
Hmm, but I wonder if this is before or after they learn of the Nifelheim attack?

They said that Noctis and co heading to the Disk is in the beginning of the game so its probably before they are attack, because it be weird for the to go see Titan if they knew Insomnia was attacked.

I like Nomura as much as the next guy, but from interviews with him and the general stagnation of Versus XIII, he wasn't in any hurry to get the project going, even after the issues with FFXIII and XIV got ironed out.

It reminds me of the animator Richard Williams who spent 30 years on his animated "masterpiece", the Thief & the Cobbler... only the studio eventually said "enough" and sent the film to some cheap studio to make so they could get it out the door and actually make SOME money off of it.

I think Nomura just was trying to be TOO perfect with it, and he had impossible standards for it. Like some really cool ambitious ideas that were too numerous and were not all going to actually work in the end.

Ishida

Banned
The attack might happen at some point during this journey. Don't open if you haven't played the demo
The demo ending implied it happened after the Titan, but not sure

Brutal

I mean sure, if we live in some kind of alternate universe where bitching and bitching actually worked in some magical way that could summon Versus XIII back from the dead, then by all means, please try!

But no, it doesn't work that way. Showing discontent about something is normal. But constantly and constantly enveloping oneself in a cloud of negativity will not change anything. The only thing such an attitude will produce is that you will be extremely toxic about FFXV, no matter what happens, no matter what they show: "It will never be Versus XIII".

And thank God it will never be Versus XIII, or else we will never see the game released.

WolvenOne

That's the impression I get as well. Personally I get the impression that Nomura is more of an artist then a manager, in past projects he always seemed to be tweaking things constantly, trying to get things visually perfect and whatnot. Artists are great for smaller more personal projects, but when it comes to big projects like a AAA video-game the guy in charge needs to deliver. Peoples livelihood and jobs are at stake, so if the person managing can't seem to get things done then it's time to go.

Besides, I think Nomura is a better fit for smaller games, like The World Ends With You.

Garlador

I've learned to never say never.

I mean, if the reception of FFXV is universally negative, I can imagine them pulling an "Exorcist: The Beginning", going back to the ORIGINAL creators, and churning out an alternate cut to win back favor and get more profits.
41X096FBNTL.jpg

... Though I imagine FF15 will sell a lot, even if it sucks. It's too anticipated to let anything like negative word of mouth sink it.

DSix

Banned

I happened to care about what the team that made one of my GOAT game (KH2) was doing. Seeing all that go away progressively like that is very saddening to me.
Are you telling me to shut up (in a very rude manner, two times already) just because I gave a shit? Then you can fuck off then. This very thread IS ABOUT the changes.

Ishida

Banned
I've learned to never say never.

I mean, if the reception of FFXV is universally negative, I can imagine them pulling an "Exorcist: The Beginning", going back to the ORIGINAL creators, and churning out an alternate cut to win back favor and get more profits.

... Though I imagine FF15 will sell a lot, even if it sucks. It's too anticipated to let anything like negative word of mouth sink it.

I highly doubt it.

Versus XIII was "exorcized" because the game wasn't working, the story wasn't working, the gameplay wasn't working.

You could say FFXV is Versus XIII "actually made to work".

I happened to care about what the team that made one of my GOAT game (KH2) was doing. Seeing all that go away progressively like that is very saddening to me.
Are you telling me to shut up just because I gave a shit? Then you can fuck off then.

Then continue the useless ranting then. The only one here with a bad attitude is you, and you will continue to be saddened and angry at this, because it won't change.

Final Fantasy XV will be released. You either have the choice of accepting it, or curl up in a corner with an angry face, surrounded by darkness.

Ray Down

Banned
If the reception to XV is negative then they'll just cut ties with it and move on, not go back to something dead and buried.

Plus, getting al these people back who have moved to other products in production or hell left the company would be such a hassle and expensive.

Garlador

If the reception to XV is negative then they'll just cut ties with it and move on, not go back to something dead and buried.

That's not the Square Enix way...
top_logo.png

I was one of MANY that said FF14 was dead on arrival, doomed to quickly go F2P and then slip into obscurity. Instead, they spent two years overhauling the whole thing and turning it into one of the best MMOs in over 10 years.

Square Enix cares too much about the FF brand to let a numbered title permanently remain overwhelmingly rejected and rebuffed by players.

artsi

You can still watch the Versus XIII trailers, that's all we would have gotten anyway from Nomura.

Now with Tabata fixing shit up we get to play an actual game, be it good or bad.

Gbraga

What if the reason Stella didn't work in the story anymore is because Gladio is now the love interest?

It makes sense, right?

pls

WolvenOne

Are you telling me to shut up just because I gave a shit? Then you can fuck off then. This very thread IS ABOUT the changes.

It's unfortunate, but FFXIII Verses just didn't work out. While I can understand being disappointed by that, clinging to that disappointment is counterproductive beyond a certain point.

Besides, just because FFXV may not be the game you wanted, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good game in it's own right. I would advocate waiting and judging XV on its own merits, rather than making your mind up ahead of time before you've even experienced it properly.

top_logo.png

I was one of MANY that said FF14 was dead on arrival, doomed to quickly go F2P and then slip into obscurity. Instead, they spent two years overhauling the whole thing and turning it into one of the best MMOs in over 10 years.

Square Enix cares too much about the FF brand to let a numbered title permanently remain overwhelmingly rejected and rebuffed by players.
That's what sequels are for, silly!

"Actually the last boss was Noctis' and Luna's son from the future that had actually gone back into time and fathered Noctis' father, creating a time paradox that erased Noctis from existance! Now you must play as Luna in a metal thong trying to fix the timeline!"

True Fire

I happened to care about what the team that made one of my GOAT game (KH2) was doing.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but they didn't do anything. That's why they were replaced. It's almost the 9th anniversary of when the game was first announced. It's time to let go and be happy that most of their original vision is actually playable in its current state.

That's the impression I get as well. Personally I get the impression that Nomura is more of an artist then a manager, in past projects he always seemed to be tweaking things constantly, trying to get things visually perfect and whatnot. Artists are great for smaller more personal projects, but when it comes to big projects like a AAA video-game the guy in charge needs to deliver. Peoples livelihood and jobs are at stake, so if the person managing can't seem to get things done then it's time to go.

Besides, I think Nomura is a better fit for smaller games, like The World Ends With You.

The best outcome of all of this would be Nomura and some of the KH team moving to platinum games or starting a mid tier development studio with Hideo Kojima and members of KojiPro.

Pooya

but but Verus trailers were so hype everytime ;_; I could keep playing that forever.

Now to be honest, they seem to put more effort in those super early bs trailers than the real ones...

Ralemont

not me

Versus XIII would have needed to actually exist to be destroyed, though. I don't know why you're directing your anger at the new team when it's the old one's fault that VXIII was never completed.

WolvenOne

but but Verus trailers were so hype everytime ;_; I could keep playing that forever.

Now to be honest, they seem to put more effort in those super early bs trailers than the real ones...

Supposedly, a big part of the development problems they were having; was that they had a very hard time making combat that looked like THAT, work.

This is in part why combat in XV is so much more down to earth visually. It still has many of the elements they were originally going for, but the design is a bit less cinematic and more practical.

Ishida

Banned
I'm sorry to break it to you, but they didn't do anything. That's why they were replaced. It's almost the 9th anniversary of when the game was first announced. It's time to let go and be happy that most of their original vision is actually playable in its current state.

Exactly.

People seem to believe that the Versus/XV team was renewed on some executive's whim. Development of that game was rebooted and shifted because of a very simple reason: It was simply not working.

Year after year, E3 after E3 we would see basically the same stuff about Versus XIII: Nothing.

Sure, we got some (amazing) trailers, and some tidbits here and there from Nomura on certain interviews. But people are of short memory if they forget that Versus XIII issued a period of silence, a "dark age" where fans were starving on information and all we would get is "We are skipping this year's E3".

Then Tabata gets on the helm. The team gets shifted. Suddenly we start getting trailers and information up the ass, even at the point where we believe we are getting too much information.

I really like Nomura. I'm a fan of its work. But Tabata and his team are getting actual work done. They released a demo, they listen to fan feedback, and are letting us know of CLEAR DATES for the game's next major showing (Gamescom).

Are you telling me to shut up (in a very rude manner, two times already) just because I gave a shit? Then you can fuck off then. This very thread IS ABOUT the changes.
Be sad about vertical slices all you want, but XV has nothing to do with that. Nomura got his game cancelled twice - that we know of! - so go complain at his inability to actually make a game as opposed to a team trying to fix this mess of a development by making a brand new game using the ideas of the original.

All those angry Versus fans who are lashing out their anger now. I will just say to please look forward to the reboot reveal at Gamescom and then be the judge.

SE EU Community Manager put it in a nice way.

Dan Seto ‏@dmseto 2h2 hours ago
@ErrenVanDuine Probs wanted to get the demo out 1st to prove they have the chops to make FF-XV or else no one would have faith in them

I mean people say they were deceived but if anything, the demo was the priority before informing of the changes that took place from Versus to XV.

Sciortino

This is getting a bit out of hand now.
3790473-8923210310-21czc.jpg

Pooya

Supposedly, a big part of the development problems they were having; was that they had a very hard time making combat that looked like THAT, work.

This is in part why combat in XV is so much more down to earth visually. It still has many of the elements they were originally going for, but the design is a bit less cinematic and more practical.

yeah, their development methodology is just backwards. They first draw some characters, then some imagery, make some conceptual video from their fantasies AND release it to public after all that they are like hey, let's see how we can make this looking like that... FF13 first trailers are like the worst offender now. XV isn't THAT bad yet. the game actually looks good and similar still.

DJIzana

top_logo.png

Definitely sure you aren't alone there. I WANTED to like 1.0 and I thought the same thing about ARR. The difference is that we knew it was an online title and people are like "meh, whatever, it's an MMO they still have their offline series".

I think the fact that this is an offline series and being supposedly "gutted" is why it's playing so heavily with people.

I, on the other hand, welcome change. To me, the combat, animations, general theme of the game still is the same. I've been one of the people waiting since 2006 too. Guess I'm just more lenient given there are other games I'm looking forward to or find other things to do instead of getting all choked up about it.

duckroll

yeah, their development methodology is just backwards. They first draw some characters, then some imagery, make some conceptual video from their fantasies AND release it to public after all that they are like hey, let's see how we can make this looking like that... FF13 first trailers are like the worst offender now. XV isn't THAT bad yet. the game actually looks good and similar still.

I have heard some really funny stories about how much worse production pipelines were at Squaresoft way back in the day. It's really hilarious when you think about it, but even stuff in the FF7-9 era, which looks like they had it all together because of how regularly the games were coming out, were made in the most inefficient ways. The art and movie pipelines would be way ahead of the rest of production, and they would have all the FMVs and backgrounds completed long before the game design is complete. And because the FMVs were so expensive, they weren't going to scrape anything after they were made, so everything was made to fit around what was already done.

WolvenOne

That's why I said Nomura is an artist, not a manager. He had a vision of what he wanted combat to be like and essentially spent "years," trying to make it work. A good manager would've figured out a good workable combat system, then created visuals around that system. Besides, even if Nomura could've made it work, the battle system would have necessitated a very "On Rails," game/world design. For an RPG I prefer something more open, so the system Tabata went with is a much better fit in that regard.

Really enjoyed how open Dusque ended up feeling.

I will echo what I did several pages ago: this should have been expected. Versus XIII, as a game, was like one of those bad kickstarters: Promising the moon and the stars and then ultimately failing to deliver at all. What Versus XIII's scope aimed to be was 5 different games across 4 different genres all rolled into one. It was never going to happen, and when Square finally got to full production of Versus XIII they must have realized that hence Tabata.

All those angry Versus fans who are lashing out their anger now. I will just say to please look forward to the reboot reveal at Gamescom and then be the judge.

I mean people say they were deceived but if anything, the demo was the priority before informing of the changes that took place from Versus to XV.

Well said.. honestly I'm extremely hyped.

I have heard some really funny stories about how much worse production pipelines were at Squaresoft way back in the day. It's really hilarious when you think about it, but even stuff in the FF7-9 era, which looks like they had it all together because of how regularly the games were coming out, were made in the most inefficient ways. The art and movie pipelines would be way ahead of the rest of production, and they would have all the FMVs and backgrounds completed long before the game design is complete. And because the FMVs were so expensive, they weren't going to scrape anything after they were made, so everything was made to fit around what was already done.
Weren't 7 8 and 9 announced at the same time? Making those games must've been fun.

Garlador

I just got done reading some old, old interviews with Nomura about the game.

The comments in those articles are hilarious now. Wow, gaming has come a LONG way in nearly 9 years.

Weren't 7 8 and 9 announced at the same time? Making those games must've been fun.
Actually, that taught them to be efficient.

I remember reading that, because of deadlines and time constraints, they HAD to get everyone on the same page, so they ironed out every issue and got everything planned out before they ever started programming or modeling or actually making the game (at least in FF9's case).

But then you had something like, say, Xenogears, which just flat out ran out of time and money and they went "well, it's shipping anyway". Basically half the game is just... not there. They learned from that and future projects were planned to be less "epic" and "ambitious", and instead became, well, just good and polished.

Top Bottom