• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

realcool

Well this Toneman's career is done.

S7ycDvC.jpeg

Twitter fingers.

consoul

The only outfit that validates your argument is the bunny. Not a problem of being less revealing, it's just uglier than the previous version. Still, there might be more explanations on this particular case, even a clerical mistake.
Hold up. Did you just seriously suggest the change to the bunny outfit could have been a clerical error?

Either it's the artistic vision they intended, or it was modified at someone else's request. Let's not pretend there's some other random fuck-up scenario.

Crayon

JFC. I swear to god. Couldn't just take the win with with our t&a game.

:/ great job, liberty troops. Your contribution is noted with thanks.

The optics of this for the rest of us titty advocates are god awful.

Last edited:

Crayon

I can see them pulling back slightly as an artistic choice, but that’s probably not the case.

I think it was some sort of concession, myself. A hilariously ineffective one, though. That doesn't make it right but if that's all they had to do to get away with what they did then there is hope for the world.

Honestly I think the claims of censorship is a little overblown.
Sony funded this game, they are involved in the creative process, them making changes is also part of the creative process.
I mean if a film director decides to cut a certain scene out of his final cut of the movie because he didn’t like the dialogue, is he censoring the screenwriter?
Unless someone has information of how this went down that proves otherwise, I think one just have to give it the benefit of the doubt that this was a change within the normal creative process.

Three

Unfortunately double standard also exist in Japan....Lets be fair in BG 3 you have beastality bear sex, while people in west freaking out about Eve showing skin.
It's skin that's completely disallowed even with the highest age rating in Japan. You're not allowed to show full frontal nudity there no matter what rating you aim for.

Pejo

Gold Member
Sony funded this game, they are involved in the creative process, them making changes is also part of the creative process.
I mean if a film director decides to cut a certain scene out of his final cut of the movie because he didn’t like the dialogue, is he censoring the screenwriter?
Unless someone has information of how this went down that proves otherwise, I think one just have to give it the benefit of the doubt that this was a change within the normal creative process.
If only there were some sort of... I dunno... proof... that the designs were at one point included in the game and then later modified. Like if the files were right there on the "gold" version of the disc. Damn shame that nothing like that exists in this situation.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Yep, that normal creative process of changing the costumes after they confirmed the gold copy and sent it off for disc pressings. It is normal for devs to suddenly go "Oh these costumes? We need to change them stat! Bugs and glitches can wait, this is far more important for the day one patch!"

If only there were some sort of... I dunno... proof... that the designs were at one point included in the game and then later modified. Like if the files were right there on the "gold" version of the disc. Damn shame that nothing like that exists in this situation.
star trek spock GIF

Three

It is normal for devs to suddenly go "Oh these costumes? We need to change them stat! Bugs and glitches can wait, this is far more important for the day one patch!"

The day one patch had 34 costume variations and additions as well as bug and glitch fixes. So yeah disc pressing wasn't the 'final cut' of the game and they created more costumes 'stat'. the alternative would have been to release an unplayable disc that required a day one patch to run like a lot of devs do.

Crayon

I've been calling it censorship in an effort to concede the point that it may have been done because they thought it was too much skin. I think that's reasonable enough to assume. But it's not 100% known. They could have just picked some other variations. It's not like all of the costumes are super sexy. Some are more and some are less.

Yep, that normal creative process of changing the costumes after they confirmed the gold copy and sent it off for disc pressings. It is normal for devs to suddenly go "Oh these costumes? We need to change them stat! Bugs and glitches can wait, this is far more important for the day one patch!"

star trek spock GIF
But that’s the thing, nobody knows how it happened. If they insisted on making the changes over the objections of the developers and ordered them to do it. That’s would be one thing.
But what if it went down like this, they approached the developers and said “would it be possible to make some adjustment to make certain costumes a little less risqué”, the developer went back and came up a few alternatives, and by mutual agreement they settled on one of those versions. In that case, I would consider it part of the creative process, the fact it happened near the end doesn’t make any difference.

Nobody knows what actually happened and are jumping to conclusions.

Doomtrain

Speaking as both a professional game developer and someone opposed to censorship, yes, it’s just as common for the art department to update their work via patches as for engineering. This can include fixing animations, broken textures, etc., but I’ve worked on projects where it included more extensive changes that the artists wanted to do originally, but ran out of time for.

EDIT: In this scenario, there’s no “these bugs can wait.” It’s different departments with different skillsets. Artists doing their thing in no way prohibits engineers from doing theirs.

Last edited:

Waifus

Banned
I've been calling it censorship in an effort to concede the point that it may have been done because they thought it was too much skin. I think that's reasonable enough to assume. But it's not 100% known. They could have just picked some other variations. It's not like all of the costumes are super sexy. Some are more and some are less.
So they decided to change some designs last minute after the game going gold and the discs being made? You dumb? The icons even still show the original design for the costumes in the game.

Senhua

But that’s the thing, nobody knows how it happened. If they insisted on making the changes over the objections of the developers and ordered them to do it. That’s would be one thing.
But what if it went down like this, they approached the developers and said “would it be possible to make some adjustment to make certain costumes a little less risqué”, the developer went back and came up a few alternatives, and by mutual agreement they settled on one of those versions. In that case, I would consider it part of the creative process, the fact it happened near the end doesn’t make any difference.

Nobody knows what actually happened and are jumping to conclusions.
Agree, no body know. But why they make the uncensored claim beforehand ? no matter for what that is intented for. Can I get my money back for false bait and switch marketing? no? well then if that changes truly their intended vision, they are sketchy at best.
It happen with their previous NIKKE game (uncensored on beta and altered in final) and again with this.
Tipical Snake Oil Salesman

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Cause they don’t like money?
You should ask disney and microsoft (xbox division) the same question .... there are companys that value DEI and woke message spreading over money, that's been the case for quite some time now ... specially this multi billion/trillion companys.

Now sony is strange because they have two heads (jap and na) dont know how these two heads coexist.. but looking at their first party output as of lately... I can tell who is winning ... but seeing something like Stellar Blade slip trough at least gives me hope.

My point is ... there are multiple examples of companys burning money for years because of decisions based on inclusion and woke politics.... Disney being the biggest one imho.

violence

You should ask disney and microsoft (xbox division) the same question .... there are companys that value DEI and woke message spreading over money, that's been the case for quite some time now ... specially this multi billion/trillion companys.

Now sony is strange because they have two heads (jap and na) dont know how these two heads coexist.. but looking at their first party output as of lately... I can tell who is winning ... but seeing something like Stellar Blade slip trough at least gives me hope.

My point is ... there are multiple examples of companys burning money for years because of decisions based on inclusion and woke politics.... Disney being the biggest one imho.
I wonder if the Sony California headquarters considers stellar blade a diverse female due to being Korean? It technically fits the definition, but we all know that Asians are an inconvenient minority and have an over representation in the successful peoples group.

I’ve heard stories of Asian applicant discrimination at Harvard so I’m not sure where Asians fall with the comrades.

Frankly, if I never understand the woke mindset, I will be perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I wonder if the Sony California headquarters considers stellar blade a diverse female due to being Korean? It technically fits the definition, but we all know that Asians are an inconvenient minority and have an over representation in the successful peoples group.

I’ve heard stories of Asian applicant discrimination at Harvard so I’m not sure where Asians fall with the comrades.

Frankly, if I never understand the woke mindset, I will be perfectly fine.
Asians unfortunately dont see to count in the woke diversity quotas ... and I really dont think Asians give or should give a fuck about this... in the end I find extremely racist and patronizing this idea that any race/gender/sex group should be treated differently as they are not capable of competing thenselfs for something and succeed on their own merits.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Agree, no body know. But why they make the uncensored claim beforehand ? no matter for what that is intented for. Can I get my money back for false bait and switch marketing? no? well then if that changes truly their intended vision, they are sketchy at best.
It happen with their previous NIKKE game (uncensored on beta and altered in final) and again with this.
Tipical Snake Oil Salesman
While I agree with the overall sentiment... I think it may be the case of little.. very little ... concessions to appease Sony US complaints ... as pointed out... there are multiple outfits even more revealing that are still in the game.

This game existing even as it is with this little changes is still a big victory for the non crazy people (us the majority of gamers).

Now if the next update comes with more changes and restrictions then by all means go nuts... I doubt anyone defending/spinning this censorship will still spin or defend if a new update comes with new censored outfits.

Last edited:

rubenburgt

Ah, yes. The good 'ol censorship on Sony consoles.

Why are you guys so surprised by this?
Sony is notoriously known for censoring their games.

Don't tell me you guys actually believed the game to be free from censorship? It's Sony!

violence

Ah, yes. The good 'ol censorship on Sony consoles.

Why are you guys so surprised by this?
Sony is notoriously known for censoring their games.

Don't tell me you guys actually believed the game to be free from censorship? It's Sony!
Yeah, my guess is this game was pushing the boundaries of what Sony allows and got them to loosen up more. It honestly gave me some hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Crayon

I've been reluctant to say it cuz it sounds kind of dumb, but there is a non-zero chance that this is all been a work. Including The accidental demo drop.

Meanwhile BG3 is actually completely censored in Japan.
Tell me about it. I grew up in Germany when a lot of games got censored because of violence, while the US didn’t care. Strangely enough when it comes to nudity and sexuality is the opposite.

Now I live for 15 years already in Japan where they are strict about both… luckily we are living in times where I can use the US PSN store when I need you, although it’s getting quite expensive with the current exchange rate…

JayK47

A lot of you do not seem to understand the definition of censorship. If there were 100 sexy outfits and Sony says they object to even 1 and require the removal or change of that outfit, that is still censorship. Perhaps you do not have a problem with that, but it is censorship nonetheless.

A lot of you do not seem to understand the definition of censorship. If there were 100 sexy outfits and Sony says they object to even 1 and require the removal or change of that outfit, that is still censorship. Perhaps you do not have a problem with that, but it is censorship nonetheless.
It’s not as straightforward as that because Sony is a collaborator in the project.

Last edited:

Crayon

GMGHZ1UWMAA1HN9
GMGHZ1VXEAAg2QV

This is really all we have to go on. The blood splatter may have had to be toned down to have the same version of the game approved globally.

Left is final game, Right is demo version.

I haven't seen any other pictures, but I know that I noticed in the demo that she would come out of a fight like bloodborne style, and I haven't seen that in 20 hours of the full game.

ToneyJ

I haven't seen any other pictures, but I know that I noticed in the demo that she would come out of a fight like bloodborne style, and I haven't seen that in 20 hours of the full game.
its safe to assume a lot was toned down. I wouldn't blame Sony in this instance though.

It's a shame though because the blood splatter version looks badass as fuck.

edit: to add to this, the death animations in this game are very abrupt and awkward too, cut to black screen immediately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom