• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Director: 'I know in the West characters have to be realistic [...] but I hope people will perceive it as just another fun action game'

SHA

better-choice-for-female-video-game-character-v0-cg9z7ko1ai9b1.jpg
What's so modern about her? Except she get a pass for being in a video game? I see them respected as real women, I don't understand how it's hard to understand real world common sense.

Filben

This guy should check the facts. First, women are much less likely to commit suicide than men (except in China), so if you want to make a case about suicide, maybe start with men because, yes, men kill themselves too and much more likely. Second, if you really want to make a case about female suicide only, by leaving out major factors other than body images he oversimplifies the issue he himself brought into discourse. Main reason for suicide are depressions and risk factors such as postpartum depression, eating disorder (depending on the type it has NOTHING to do with your body image; why wife suffers from eating disorder and she's NOT underweight and the disorder was caused by a severe feeling of loneliness and mental abuse by other girls in her youth and not by body images), domestic violence, sexual abuse, and yes, also body self-image. However, suicide hotlines in the US state that most callers report explicitly social media for body self-image issues, they don't mention films or video games.

To reduce suicidal reasons to said images is dangerous and doesn't grasp the issue. It is a multi-causal issue that shouldn't be exploited for pushing a virtue agenda or your playground. If you care about mental health, Stellar Blade isn't what you should talk about.

This guy is way out of the loop.

Cyberpunkd

I still think this is some elaborate troll. The guy is French. He lives in a country that has abortion written as a human right IN THE CONSTITUTION. Where older teens and many women walk the streets without bra.
Where all religious symbols are forbidden in school. Where head scarves for girls are forbidden in school. Where the mayor of Nice banned burkhini (long sleeved bathing suit for women) saying it is incompatible with French culture.

Last edited:
I still think this is some elaborate troll. The guy is French. He lives in a country that has abortion written as a human right IN THE CONSTITUTION. Where older teens and many women walk the streets without bra.
Where all religious symbols are forbidden in school. Where head scarves for girls are forbidden in school. Where the mayor of Nice banned burkhini (long sleeved bathing suit for women) saying it is incompatible with French culture.
You touch on a few things that are specifically made into law in France because the French are extremely concerned that their culture is at risk of disappearing. Due to the huge number of middle eastern immigrants that now live in France and call it home. Basically some of these laws are written to curb the influence of Islamic culture and law from erasing traditional French culture.

Last edited:

rexel229

Neo Member
Looking at pre-orders, Stellar Blade is on track to be #1 worldwide!

#1 Pre-order in:- USA- Japan- China- Korea- Romania- Germany- India- UK- Switzerland- Finland- Czech Republic- Hungary- Canada- Argentina- Turkey- Denmark- Brazil- Indonesia- Colombia- Sweden- Luxembourg- Cyprus- New Zealand- Australia- Norway- Poland- Greece- Netherlands- Mexico- Switzerland

Just put a preorder in to bump up the Uk figures 😀

The West thinks ugly or average equals realism and they are so worried about offending people. That’s one of the main problems I usually have with Western designs. Not necessarily always bad or anything like that, but just safe and typically unimaginative. I mean practicality or realism can have it’s place, but imo it’s usually boring and predictable especially in a world where you can practically create anything you want.

Last edited:

The funniest thing about this whole story is that, and I speak from experience..not to mention that you can watch ANY reality TV show or dating program (MAFS, LoveIsland etc), or just by going outside..women have by far the most limited range of body types they find acceptable/attractive in men than men find acceptable/attractive in women.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

I repeat the Nier guy more. At least he just flat out said “I like boobs” as the reason for his designs.

We know why Eve looks that way dude. It’s fine, just own it.

What part of a tight body and unrealistic jello boobs and unsubtle references to the Christian religion is cultural to Korea?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Cuckman is furious by his words. Maybe he will throw another presentation about sexy girls being bad for the industry.

Anyway, sometimes they do not actually pursuit realism as they intentionally make a women ugly. Keyword women, because making editions to women seems to be a thing of western(I don't remember them doing that to guys). Why would anyone make a beauty model uglier on purpuse is beyond me.
What bothers me though is where this doll bad faith argument come from. Its already proved he used a model, how can be people allowed to spread lies on the internet?

Last edited:

Hudo

Every developer should just make what he/she wants to make without worrying about what some retards on Twitter (who were never going to buy your game anyway) are crying about.

Sane people know: If I want to play something, I can buy it. If I don't like something, I don't have to buy and don't have to play it.
If enough people don't like something and therefore don't buy it, it goes away on its own over time.
If you don't like something and buy it, it's you who is retarded. Not the creator of the thing you've bought.

Last edited:
Replace realistic with ugly.

planet-of-the-apes-laugh.gif

Abby is not realistic. A woman with that amount of muscles in a post apocalyptic world is complete bullshit btw.🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do people who think that this is unrealistic

fe7f06000020917e2a1f92f48f3c32e96bf90182-1920x1080.jpg

Even know about keira agustina? People in real life can have that fucking ass.

122055493322abcd6f.jpg

VH1v5Xjw9AU.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I remember when they said women can be beautiful and powerful, now they don't even want women to be beautiful.

Top Bottom