• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

The utility of the "scan" function cannot be overstated, it's *very* easy to miss corpses for example that really blend into the environment. Beyond that it's great for discovering monsters waiting to ambush you in the more linear sections.

This game *really* starts to hit it's stride after the first major boss and the two areas that follow, something tells me it will just get even better from here. Wouldn't be surprised if SB is at the top of many people's GOTY list, good chance it can enter my number 2 slot behind FFVII Rebirth but let's see where the chips fall when it's all said and done.

The janky bar swinging sections really stand out when the rest of the game and it's animations are so sublime. Putting that aside, I believe if SB were released even just 5 years ago the meta would be closer to 9/10, reinforces that a lot of these "journalists" can't be trusted/have no clue what they are talking about, the game is god-tier.

Madflavor

This game *really* starts to hit it's stride after the first major boss and the two areas that follow, something tells me it will just get even better from here. Wouldn't be surprised if SB is at the top of many people's GOTY list, good chance it can enter my number 2 slot behind FFVII Rebirth but let's see where the chips fall when it's all said and done.

It might best Rebirth for me at the rate things are going. One thing I have consistently seen across so many reviews, is that the last 5 hours are the game are absolute peak. Whereas Rebirth ended in a wet fart for me.

Markio128

I’m really enjoying the combat in this game, to the point where I’m grinding just for the sheer fun of it. I also love how I’m always rewarded for a bit of exploration - which makes that element fun too. The music is great, the visuals are great, the enemy designs are up there with the best, and the skill and upgrade system are simple enough to understand. Colour me impressed.

Markio128

There is something about this game that puts me in a Dreamcast kinda space. Perhaps it's the music coupled with the aesthetic, the general design, etc. Whatever it is, it feels great. The Dreamcast was such a "mood" console. It wasn't just a place to play games, but it had a real feel to it and everything that was on it. Perhaps it's just nostalgia getting to me, but Stellar Blade is taking me back to that place, with all of the conveniences of modern design and tech.
Agreed. I think it is the general simplicity of everything, which certainly does hark back to the good old days.

It might best Rebirth for me at the rate things are going. One thing I have consistently seen across so many reviews, is that the last 5 hours are the game are absolute peak. Whereas Rebirth ended in a wet fart for me.

I loved the end of Rebirth so we disagree there lol. Either way, we're in agreement that SB is fire and Rebirth is fantastic overall 👍

I haven't read any reviews, I called it months ago that SB would be this gen's DMC/Bayo, was obvious and I'm happy it's delivering the goods.

Madflavor

The amount of fucking whining from Grummz, and others on twitter about censorship really makes them out to be ambulance chasing grifters that scream about the slightest thing. Just absolutely killed any discussion around the game online, and as much as I don't like the lefties, they do have a point of, them acting like a bunch of man children.

They're definitely taking it to cringe levels, but if they actually manage to get them to restore those outfits, I won't complain either.

Markio128

Only a minor thing, but I like how you can press hint to see the door codes, instead of having to remember them, or go into the menu. It keeps things ticking along. A lot of devs could learn a thing or two from this game. I also prefer there being no minimap because it forces you to explore the areas.

Peroroncino

Finally had the time to really sink my time into the demo and mop up the boss challenge, and... I really like it. Going by what I experienced so far, metacritic score seems fair, maybe just a smidge too low given how polished the package seems.

Was just about to buy it digitally... but when I started reading online about the editions, of course I read about the changes, and no, I don't give a shit about some bunny costume, wouldn't wear it anyway (it's all combat suits for me, or as close as), but the blood/gore really hurts, one of the best moment in the demo was when EVE literally ripped apart the parking boss and blood splattered all over the ground and EVE, and now that's toned down quite severely, especially on EVE. No doubt other moments like these got also toned down. :(

So I guess it's Helldivers 2 for now, but definitely buying a physical, and since the game isn't really all that long and it's weekend, might as well wait until upcoming week for some used copies, simply out of spite for their "no censorship" soapbox and actually censoring shit day one.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Has anyone heard anything about the soundtrack releasing on Spotify etc?

I need this soundtrack in my life

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How much we talking in that scenario and for how long? I'm just curious, absolutely not a dig

It is very much like the old Netflix DVD rental. You have different levels of rental. Keep the game for as long as you want. After Gamefly receives the game back, they will send you the next game in your queue.

1 game out at a time $17.95
2 games out at a time $25.95

There is also an "elite" plan where you lock in games before they release as some other features. It costs $32.95 for 2 games out a month. And a budget plan that is $10.95, but you don't get new games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The boss fights have been fun. Each one feels like a lesson in defense and attack. It will be interesting to see how NG+ goes if you get to keep all your skills. I just switched to the red costume.

Has anyone heard anything about the soundtrack releasing on Spotify etc?

I need this soundtrack in my life
For real. I will probably end up getting it like I did NieR Replicant.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
The boss fights have been fun. Each one feels like a lesson in defense and attack. It will be interesting to see how NG+ goes if you get to keep all your skills. I just switched to the red costume.

For real. I will probably end up getting it like I did NieR Replicant.
Soon as I’m done with SB I’m getting back on Nier (never finished it).

tommib

Xion is all vibes. Love the atmosphere there.

ZUm42jU.jpeg

I hope there’s some sleeveless shirt for Adam because he’s cute as a button.

5ykCygV.jpeg

Last edited:
Haven't seen many people mention the haptics in this.

They are used so well!

I mentioned it in the demo thread, I *always* champion games that implement it well, it really elevates the experience and this year has been exceptional with Helldivers 2, Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, SB and even Dave the Diver lol.

They really don't want it with EVE:

I've been in the Wasteland 5 fucking hours and *still* haven't fully explored it, *still* have a handful of sidequests to complete, this game is massive and I'm here for it. When I love I game I play it to the fullest reading *every* lore entry, exploring *every* nook and cranny, looks like my honeymoon with EVE is going to be a long one, Praise the Ass, Try Rump.

Reactions: Isa

Luipadre

The negatives for me are the mediocre characters, bad english VA and dialogue and the wonky platforming, everything else is so good. Im at 25% after 8 hours so i still have a lot of left thankfully

jason10mm

Gold Member
We all know games "journalists" are all bonkers, but this is kind of funny hahaha.
Q4dlyky.png
To be fair it would be a HILARIOUS riff off of Tron or Wreck 'em Ralph to have "sentient" in game characters complaining about the outfits, having to digitally diet to stay in that kinda shape, or mocking the more recent dumpy character designs with "what User would want to play as YOU??".

Garibaldi

Loving it so far and gonna resume my playthrough in a few short hours after I'm done with some household chores. The only thing that annoys me a bit is the platforming. Guess the reviewers were right on that one at least.
Yeah that solar tower thing in the wastelands boiled my piss. It was about 2am when I was doing it admittedly but still. Do your job maintenance bots so I don't have to be employee of the month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom