• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jaros leaves Volition, joins Valve Software

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I love how Valve's achievement of making one of the top 5 most popular games on the planet in the last couple of years is dismissed so easily, but we get all these comments about hat jokes instead.

I am guessing the profit Valve got on the TI4 compendium is roughly equivalent to what L4D3 would do on its entire opening day. I'm not sure why it's Valve's fault that people who love single-player story driven games aren't willing to pay as much for them as people who love multiplayer systems driven games or why Valve should choose to ignore that fact and make games that make them less money.
Dota had a massive audience already. All Valve had to do was not screw up the sequel (mission accomplished). New IP is the trickier thing.

Half-Life 3 received a second group, named "Core", in the months between the two JIRA leaks, so something is in motion on that front. It's quite clear that L4D3 is Valve's next big release, however, which pushes HL3 back to 2016 at the absolute earliest, which in turn means this will come to pass:

TF2 had a good run but it's almost (that's "almost" in Valve Time) time for the proverbial torch to be passed. ;)

Oh lol, this again. Do you intend to rile up people, because I sure as hell can't see how this is supposed to be reassuring for HL fans :p

Iscariot

This is true, but what has this got to do with what he said? They still make games, whether or not they're safe is a different question.

My point was more that you have to accept some degree of hyperbole on the internet, especially if you want to actually understand people.

Has Valve literally released zero games since 2008ish? No. But has their output essentially been extremely iterative releases mostly focused on games that have been out for a decade or more? Yeah. And to those people that have played CS or DotA forever, they sometimes don't really feel so much like new games as Super Counter-Strike Hyper Fighting Edition Turbo. So personally I get the snark, even if I don't give a shit about HL3.

My point was more that you have to accept some degree of hyperbole on the internet, especially if you want to actually understand people.

Has Valve literally released zero games since 2008ish? No. But has their output essentially been extremely iterative releases mostly focused on games that have been out for a decade or more? Yeah. And to those people that have played CS or DotA forever, they sometimes don't really feel so much like new games as Super Counter-Strike Hyper Fighting Edition Turbo. So personally I get the snark, even if I don't give a shit about HL3.
Keep moving goalposts until your arms are tired

Seanspeed

Banned
Cant blame him.

"Maybe I'll work on Half Life 3 today."

"Nah."

axbTalZ.png

People who use hyperbole need to understand that they will likely be misunderstood. There are better ways to communicate yourself, with degrees and specifics.

We can't guess whether someone's going over the top on purpose or not. There's no USB mind reader. Say what you mean.

Saty

TF, CS, L4D, Dota. How many online games do they need? At some point they are competing against themselves.

gabbo

Every now and again it would be nice to have a Valve thread without all the "Valve makes no games" crap. Maybe one day.

That thread will exist for exactly 24 hours on the launch day of their next title. After the clock ticks over midnight, straight into 'Valve only make hats' again.
I'm curious as to what he'll do at Valve. Would love to see something completely new from them (and of course HL3/Ep3)

That thread will exist for exactly 24 hours on the launch day of their next title. After the clock ticks over midnight, straight into 'Valve only make hats' again.
I'm curious as to what he'll do at Valve. Would love to see something completely new from them (and of course HL3/Ep3)

I'm not so sure about that. Don't think the vocal people will be very happy about L4D3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TF, CS, L4D, Dota. How many online games do they need? At some point they are competing against themselves.

Things seem to be going well:

steamstatsvalveqfqb1.png

There's probably an argument that Left 4 Dead 3 should be more of a service game given it's much lower than the others.

Maybe they'll make it free 2 play.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Valve titles even have huge cross-pollination?

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people played multiple titles, but we don't really have evidence that they stop playing the others given that two of these games keep going up and the other isn't really shrinking.

Savitar

Wasn't that because the VA was doing his tv show?

They kind of waffled on the reasoning. This was the first and main reasoning. But they also said others as people got upset about what happened. Didn't help that the VA actually said he was willing to come back since he loved the role.

Always got the impression they didn't realize how much of a favorite Gat was until people screamed about his death.

Lotto

Dota had a massive audience already. All Valve had to do was not screw up the sequel (mission accomplished). New IP is the trickier thing.

Easier said than done. If it were any other company I can almost guarantee things would have gone wrong real fast. It was tough for Valve considering their history of content. This was essentially their first non-FPS game and they nailed it through a smart pricing model and improvements to the base game (reconnections + better matchmaking + simplified UI) without gutting the core mechanics that the community fell in love with. I'm not saying a new IP isn't tricky, but there's still a lot of legacy behind Dota that could have been screwed up very easily.

Saty

Yeah, but they have everything covered. L4D the co-op choice, CS the competitive semi-realistic choice, TF the over the top mayhem choice, DOTA the MOBA choice.

It's high-time we learn something concrete on their next SP focused production. It's a bit alarming since Valve was always dismissing 'SP is dead' claims and working on the same thing over and over and now their output is garnered to specific single structure.

Heck, Portal 2 got only Co-Op DLC even though the game is screaming for SP content.

Denton

I can't wait to see the next game he doesn't make at Valve. I wonder if it'll be as good as the game Clint Hocking didn't make while he was there.

It's funnysad because it's true.

You know, I like Valve and all, but when they hired Doug Church and Clint Hocking I really expected some motherfuckingly amazing immersive sim games to come out of it.

Aaaaaaand, nothing happened.

Well this kind of sucks. Saints Row 3 and 4 were some of my favourite games last gen due to the writing and tone. If the franchise goes back into being more serious and Valve continues with their current release schedule I don't see how this is a good thing outside of Steve getting to rake in the Valve bucks.

Is he responsible for the atrocities that were the last two games?

If so, hopefully his successor will breathe some life into Saints Row yet.

Yeah, but they have everything covered. L4D the co-op choice, CS the competitive semi-realistic choice, TF the over the top mayhem choice, DOTA the MOBA choice.

It's high-time we learn something concrete on their next SP focused production. It's a bit alarming since Valve was always dismissing 'SP is dead' claims and working on the same thing over and over and now their output is garnered to specific single structure.

Heck, Portal 2 got only Co-Op DLC even though the game is screaming for SP content.

I reckon we won't hear about HL3 until after L4D3 ships, sorry :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, here's what they imported into Source 2: https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/497516483229257728/photo/1

BueIms2CQAAKNkA.png

It's not entirely clear to my knowledge if CS2 is Global Offensive or Counter-Strike 2.

This suggests there's not that much (at least anywhere beyond the concept stage or so) outside of Left 4 Dead 3 and whatever state Half-Life 3 is in.

P4 at the bottom is presumably Perforce, which is project management software.

Saty

Meh. They should go back to Portal 2 SP DLC. It's perfect for the games-as-service model. Portal Prototype Protocol - each couple of weeks new SP dlc that focuses on new mechanics, new type of cubes etc. etc. It's basically their play-testing ritual taken to the next step. In the same vein TF2 was a testbed for all kinds of stuff, Portal 2 SP DLC could and should be a testbed for new wild mechanics and gameplay systems.

Positive reaction? Make more DLC with it. Extraordinary reaction? Spin that mechanic to a whole new game. Got your new hit. Valve are probably aware enough not to share stuff that they are certain it's going to be great so they won't have their thunder stolen or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meh. They should go back to Portal 2 SP DLC. It's perfect for the games-as-service model. Portal Prototype Protocol - each couple of weeks new SP dlc that focuses on new mechanics, new type of cubes etc. etc. It's basically their play-testing ritual taken to the next step. In the same vein TF2 was a testbed for all kinds of stuff, Portal 2 SP DLC could and should be a testbed for new wild mechanics and gameplay systems.

Positive reaction? Make more DLC with it. Extraordinary reaction? Spin that mechanic to a whole new game. Got your new hit. Valve are probably aware enough not to share stuff that they are certain it's going to be great so they won't have their thunder stolen or something.

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced there's anyone working on Portal at this point.

Unless I missed something Portal 2 doesn't seem to have anyone left on it (it's been pretty quiet for a long time now), and I'm not seeing any references to either Portal 3 or f-stop with their Source 2 stuff.

If I had to go out on any limbs regarding future Valve projects, I'd guess that part of what's taking so long with Half-Life 3 is that they're trying to figure out how to work it in better with their service game model.

We're starting to see games like emerge like Destiny and The Division where on paper they look a lot like co-op titles, but they also have frequent post launch updates planned and things to grind out at the end so you have something to do if you're out of content.

Of course, those usually require a fair amount of staff, and Valve seems at about 1/3rd or 1/4th of what they'd need to even ship Half-Life 3 in any kind of traditional state on the project.

They might be able to figure out some kind of very systematic design though to get something online heavy done with a smaller team. Like in Destiny apparently half the game involves sitting at holdout points while your AI buddy hacks it and waves of enemies pour in. If they implement that with a more Left 4 Dead style of working through a level or perhaps just adding in an AI Director to help keep things fresh they could get things done with the limited resources on the project.

It's hard to say exactly what they're doing though because it's just such a low number relative to modern development. They're not exactly hiring an army of people either and a lot of the positions are not for something like Half-Life: http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

Every now and again it would be nice to have a Valve thread without all the "Valve makes no games" crap. Maybe one day.

Valve makes no single player games, and this is a forum that loves to continually moan about the death of single player games. Not to mention that they made one of the best ones of all time.

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced there's anyone working on Portal at this point.

Unless I missed something Portal 2 doesn't seem to have anyone left on it (it's been pretty quiet for a long time now), and I'm not seeing any references to either Portal 3 or f-stop with their Source 2 stuff.

If I had to go out on any limbs regarding future Valve projects, I'd guess that part of what's taking so long with Half-Life 3 is that they're trying to figure out how to work it in better with their service game model.

We're starting to see games like emerge like Destiny and The Division where on paper they look a lot like co-op titles, but they also have frequent post launch updates planned and things to grind out at the end so you have something to do if you're out of content.

Of course, those usually require a fair amount of staff, and Valve seems at about 1/3rd or 1/4th of what they'd need to even ship Half-Life 3 in any kind of traditional state on the project.

They might be able to figure out some kind of very systematic design though to get something online heavy done with a smaller team. Like in Destiny apparently half the game involves sitting at holdout points while your AI buddy hacks it and waves of enemies pour in. If they implement that with a more Left 4 Dead style of working through a level or perhaps just adding in an AI Director to help keep things fresh they could get things done with the limited resources on the project.

It's hard to say exactly what they're doing though because it's just such a low number relative to modern development. They're not exactly hiring an army of people either and a lot of the positions are not for something like Half-Life: http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

I'd rather they're not working on it, because they don't want to. Because what your proposing is not HL, and if that's the way they want it to go, then they better off not making it. No reason to butcher an industry shaping, flagship franchise for a trend.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd rather they're not working on it, because they don't want to. Because what your proposing is not HL, and if that's the way they want it to go, then they better off not making it. No reason to butcher an industry shaping, flagship franchise for a trend.

Yeah, it would be an extreme departure obviously.

It's just kind of the odd duckling of the bunch and they've been silent so long I'm having trouble imagining what holdups they're running into unless they're just uninterested or trying to transmute the series into something completely different.

Things this thread has taught me: Do one thing, suddenly you're never capable of doing something different ever again. This goes for both Valve and individual devs.

Wow, sad to see him leave Volition, as the Saints Row franchise is one of my favorites, but I have faith in the rest of the team too. Congrats on the new job, Steve!

Another talented developer lost to that black hole...

That's my thoughts as well.

Valve makes no single player games, and this is a forum that loves to continually moan about the death of single player games. Not to mention that they made one of the best ones of all time.

Their last really great single player game was the original Half Life. That was released around 17 years ago. Half Life 2 and the episodes were interesting but their quality is way over exaggerated. Portal 1 and 2 were good but out side of spawning 2 internet memes (cake and lemons) they weren't that memorable.

Top Bottom