• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg's MUNICH is 10 years old and releases on blu today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was this film that made me realize The Temptations had sung multiple different-language versions of My Girl - which was sung in Italian when the team reconvenes/celebrates after the first hit.

Jb

I was beginning to lose hope this would see a proper BR release, awesome news. Spielberg's direction is just magnificent in this film. When he wants to do violence seriously it has an impact that few other filmmakers manage to achieve.

Raptor

I think the movie is an utter bore, but yes, the film is definitely masterful on a technical level. Lots of love went into crafting it.

Agreed, TinTin is pure boredoom, cant make it past 10 minutes without falling asleep.

mcfrank

This is the Spielberg I loved back in the day, now we get garbage like Cristal Skull, WTF?

Those movies did not come out nearly far enough apart to warrant a "back in the day" and "now we get." Crystal Skull is 7 years old. Munich and Crystal Skull are the same era of Spielberg.

Raptor

Those movies did not come out nearly far enough apart to warrant a "back in the day" and "now we get." Crystal Skull is 7 years old. Munich and Crystal Skull are the same era of Spielberg.

jesus....

Im really bad at dates but my point gets across.

This is the Spielberg I loved back in the day, now we get garbage like Cristal Skull, WTF?

You say that like your 'back in the day' Spielberg didn't make clunkers amidst gems.

Spielberg is still the most consistent filmmakers around over 4 decades.

qwMofs6.jpg

lol

Raptor

You say that like your 'back in the day' Spielberg didn't make clunkers amidst gems.

Spielberg is still the most consistent filmmakers around over 4 decades.

Im bad at dates I get it, but my point is that as of late we aint getting "Munichs/Schindler Lists" but "Hooks and Crystal Skulls"

I hope this coming spy movie is Munich mode Spielberg, that is what Im saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doX2E1vNtY8
Simultaneously Spielberg's most mature, restrained and ballsy film to date also happens to be his best-looking film. The compositions in this film are something else and now you can finally watch the Berg firing on all cylinders in Blu goodness.

So far The Digital Bits is the only place that has their review up, but it sounds like a great transfer.

It's a pity Universal went with the pithy cover of the old single-disc release instead of the vastly superior one-sheet cover that was on the old deluxe edition:

Anyway, apparently it's a Best Buy Exclusive until April, but get this in you in. One of last decades best pictures.

I'm more blown away by the fact that thedigitalbits.com still exists in this day and age than I am by Munich being released. Huh. Next you'll be telling me that dvdfile.com is still around. *google search* nope! ha, thank God. That forum was turrible and banned people at the drop of a hat for things like mentioning this other forum that everyone migrated to because the mods were so power crazy.

718smiley-8587.png

Im bad at dates I get it, but my point is that as of late we aint getting "Munichs/Schindler Lists" but "Hooks and Crystal Skulls"

We never got a Schindlers List or Saving Private Ryan type Spielberg before Schindler's List. The closest would be Empire of the Sun (which isn't exactly the same) which was late 80s Berg.

Which gives us about one of them every decade. He's only release 3 films this decade. Still being consistent as ever.

-griffy-

Banned

Warhorse was alright and Lincoln was solid. In fact, since Munich, the only other two films he directed were Crystal Skull and Tintin. Then before that you have War of the Worlds and The Terminal. But then Catch Me if You Can and Minority Report. And then A.I. And then Saving Private Ryan. And then Amistad and The Lost World. And then Schindler's List and Jurassic Park. And then Hook.

Looks like the quality of his output has been roughly the same pattern since, I don't know, the start of his career? I mean, the start of his film directing career was Sugarland Express, Jaws and Close Encounters, and then he cratered with 1941. You look through his body of work and all the arguable masterpieces are surrounded by a smattering of less well regarded or outright reviled films.

Warhorse was alright and Lincoln was solid. In fact, since Munich, the only other two films he directed were Crystal Skull and Tintin. Then before that you have War of the Worlds and The Terminal. But then Catch Me if You Can and Minority Report. And then A.I. And then Saving Private Ryan. And then Amistad and The Lost World. And then Schindler's List and Jurassic Park. And then Hook.

Looks like the quality of his output has been roughly the same pattern since, I don't know, the start of his career? I mean, the start of his film directing career was Sugarland Express, Jaws and Close Encounters, and then he cratered with 1941. You look through his body of work and all the arguable masterpieces are surrounded by a smattering of less well regarded or outright reviled films.

Bingo.

70s Spielberg: Sugarland Express (Decent), Duel (Very good), JAWS (Great), Close Encounters (Very Good), 1941 (dud)

80s Spielberg: Raiders (Great), E.T (Great), Temple of Doom (okay), Twilight Zone segment (duuuud) Color Purple (mediocre, though I know some find it okay), Last Crusade (Very good), Always (recently rewatched, decent), Empire of the Sun (Great)

90s Spielberg: Hook (Very good), Jurassic Park (Very good), Schindler's List (Great), The Lost World (dud), Amistad (dud), Saving Private Ryan (Great)
2000's Spielberg: A.I (Great), Minority Report (Very good), Catch Me If You Can (Very good), The Terminal (dud), War of the Worlds (Very good), Munich (Great), Crystal Skull (okay, but generally a dud)

2010+ Spielberg: War Horse (dud), Tintin (Very good), Lincoln (Good)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I dont think I remembered anything about the film a month after seeing it, other than the cinematography And color filters.

Bingo.

70s Spielberg: Sugarland Express (Decent), Duel (Very good), JAWS (Great), Close Encounters (Very Good), 1941 (dud)

80s Spielberg: Raiders (Great), E.T (Great), Temple of Doom (okay), Twilight Zone segment (duuuud) Color Purple (mediocre, though I know some find it okay), Last Crusade (Very good), Always (recently rewatched, decent), Empire of the Sun (Great)

90s Spielberg: Hook (Very good), Jurassic Park (Very good), Schindler's List (Great), The Lost World (dud), Amistad (dud), Saving Private Ryan (Great)
2000's Spielberg: A.I (Great), Minority Report (Very good), Catch Me If You Can (Very good), The Terminal (dud), War of the Worlds (Very good), Munich (Great), Crystal Skull (okay, but generally a dud)

so I guess this speilburg fellow is pretty prolific?

Blader

Incredible film, impeccably made. Probably my second favorite Spielberg, behind SPR. It's surpassed even Jaws for me.

It was this film that made me realize The Temptations had sung multiple different-language versions of My Girl - which was sung in Italian when the team reconvenes/celebrates after the first hit.

That's such a good scene. I love scenes that sync music with what's going on on the screen like that in movies, and I love that song. This movie made me realize Spielberg could make a Tarantino movie if he wanted to and do it better than Tarantino.

MrChom

Bingo.

I'd have to disagree on some specific points there (You do earn a lot of points for liking Hook, though, and not going with the revisionist history that it's bad)...

Close Encounters: Dull, so dull. Probably didn't help I watched it after a lot of classic sci-fi stuff...but it's just bad in my eyes.

E.T.: Consistently the most overrated Spielberg movie. Tripe of the highest order.

The Terminal: Not a classic film, but certainly a very entertaining Spielberg film. Touching, amusing, and in general well worth a watch.

War of the Worlds: No. Just no. Barely watchable tripe. And for a Tom Cruise movie to be that bad something has gone very wrong. The Scary Movie version might actually be better.

Munich: Dull beyond the realms of human imagination.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I must be the only one in the planet who liked 1941 very much

I'd say Spieberg came to an impasse around the time Last Crusade came out. Gone are the days when he directed very good movies at worst, and masterpieces at best. Now they range between dreadful to good, which sucks, because the guy still clearly has the technical skills

I must be the only one in the planet who liked 1941 very much

I'd say Spieberg came to an impasse around the time Last Crusade came out. Gone are the days when he directed very good movies at worst, and masterpieces at best. Now they range between dreadful to good, which sucks, because the guy still clearly has the technical skills
The hell? Color Purple, Temple, Always and his Twilight Zone shit are all decent at best, mediocre at worst. He's as consistent as ever.

Fucking "Only @ Best Buy".

Finding this movie in a Best Buy store, in NYC, should not be this difficult. Especially when the website offers in store pickup. When the clerk told me "we only have 3 in the store you are better off getting it online" it solidified my move towards never leaving the house and ordering everything from Amazon. And if Amazon doesnt have it (like Munich) Ill wait for it to show up or ill save my money.

Fox Mulder

This is one that slipped through the cracks for me and I've never seen it.

Couldn't get to best buy yesterday, so I'll pick it up.

Fucking "Only @ Best Buy".

Finding this movie in a Best Buy store, in NYC, should not be this difficult. Especially when the website offers in store pickup. When the clerk told me "we only have 3 in the store you are better off getting it online" it solidified my move towards never leaving the house and ordering everything from Amazon. And if Amazon doesnt have it (like Munich) Ill wait for it to show up or ill save my money.

Posters on dedicated blu forums think the release was massively fucked up somewhere down the line but no one knows who's at fault, BB or Universal. Last I checked BB had two listings for the movie, and the exclusive was back-ordered for a month.

Posters on dedicated blu forums think the release was massively fucked up somewhere down the line but no one knows who's at fault, BB or Universal. Last I checked BB had two listings for the movie, and the exclusive was back-ordered for a month.

It still has the two listings and trying to order it to ship kicks back the back order message.
My biggest gripe is being told that the movie is in the store..we have 3 of them..go buy it somewhere else. Fuck you, go find it.

Here's hoping his Cold War thriller this year sees the return of the daring Spielberg.

Wouldn't mind seeing him take some influence from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, also. That movie's sheer economy still impresses me, though since we're talking Spielberg I'd still want more emphasis on the emotional notes - TTSS can be pretty clinical even though it understates the emotional side of things (definitely doesn't ignore them).

(You do earn a lot of points for liking Hook, though, and not going with the revisionist history that it's bad)

It's not really revisionist history. It's just history. The movie was bad in 1991, and it's bad now. Even Spielberg knows it.

It's a bad movie.

If anything, "revisionist history" is being written by kids who watched it before they developed an actual sense of taste, trying to justify the turd that it is in their older age.

It's not really revisionist history. It's just history. The movie was bad in 1991, and it's bad now. Even Spielberg knows it.

It's a bad movie.

If anything, "revisionist history" is being written by kids who watched it before they developed an actual sense of taste, trying to justify the turd that it is in their older age.

True, Hook was always pretty bad. I didn't even like it when I saw it in theaters as a child.

BkMogul

Who in their right mind thought making this a timed-exclusive to a retailer was a good move?

Anyway, great and vastly underrated film. One of Speilberg's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom