• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It hard when the market is breaking new records. Balance things out and try going heavy in a law vol growth stock like MSFT ( basically a long haul stock) and then try the smaller quantities of the high vol.

But I think your strategy is good, cash piling is something Ill prob consider at the end of the year for my second portfolio.
Ya. I made a big rebound since Labour Day and blew past my pre-covid level due to riding the rebound and getting some lucky picks that flew.

Holidays are coming and who knows what will happen. And I don't feel like sinking it all back in the next few weeks. I'm going to wait until Jan to relook at what to do.

I might even wait until Biden gets the key before dipping back in.

Some stocks I'm still interested in:

- Velodyne
- Tattooed Chef
- Avantor
- Get back into Grocery Outlet and Lightspeed for growth
- Small chance, but get back into Epizyme looking for a buy out

Last edited:
What brokerage do you guys use?

I'm in wellsfargo (wellstrade which is their commission free trading platform)

Thinking of transferring my shit over to Schwab

ManofOne

Plus Member

I use two. Questrade been using it for long time but I fucking hate it and Interactive brokers love them ever since I moved to the US.

ManofOne

Plus Member
wWd19fQ.jpg

Jobless claims jumped today over consensus so expect another down day.
NASDAQ futures look to be mid steep red while dow futures mostly flat.

goodluck trading today gals and guys

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
goodluck trading today gals and guys
My Trivago and RMG saving portfolio. I'm actually up so far. Rest of stocks slightly red each.

No news on Air BNB I don't think. I don't think it's even traded yet and it's 1:30??? Or Yahoo is late. Supposed to be today.

Edit: Just started. LOL. +125%. At $150. Stated IPO starting price was $68. Opened at around $140 out of the gate.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
My Trivago and RMG saving portfolio. I'm actually up so far. Rest of stocks slightly red each.

No news on Air BNB I don't think. I don't think it's even traded yet and it's 1:30??? Or Yahoo is late. Supposed to be today.

Edit: Just started. LOL. +125%. At $150. Stated IPO starting price was $68. Opened at around $140 out of the gate.

it’s up 125%.

Door Dash is down 6.8%. Still not worth it for me and AirBNB not worth that price.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Market is looking shakey, the credit spreads are widening a bit again and treasuries been slowly gaining steam.

Same thing I saw before the crash. I'm gonna just optimize my low vol portfolio a bit to favor high quality stocks.

Could be a response that markets expending a Biden win and higher taxes etc.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Well thanks NIO for that 60 million share offering. Your timing is impeccable.
At least it didn't hurt the price too much (-6.5%).

ManofOne

Plus Member
ETSY and FTCH continue to impress me.
Up 300% on my ETSY purchase from March and up 600% from my purchase in FTCH. You guys can check out these stocks. Fairly certain that ETSY will beat earnings next quarter and give another good outlook.

bought it Bc the analysis in website traffic show huge spikes back in March. So it was an incredible buy alongside other stocks like OSTK.

PzLNKVK.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Manofone,

DoorDash dropped $11 to $175, and AirBNB ended at $139. I know you don't like new companies where financials are unpredictable but is there a price you'd take a dip in rolling the dice for a flip?

ManofOne

Plus Member
Manofone,

DoorDash dropped $11 to $175, and AirBNB ended at $139. I know you don't like new companies where financials are unpredictable but is there a price you'd take a dip in rolling the dice for a flip?

The average premium after an IPO is around 30.0%.

I usually wait for a 30.0% correction in price given the data on the premium paid after an IPO. If you look at BABA for instance, its initial IPO price was $60.00 on IPO day it rose to $90.00 and then corrected it self the following months back to $60.00-$65.00.

So for Door Dash around - $133 to 140 , AirBnB around $95 (but I suspect it will go lower).

However, while these two companies are good companies

given that the IPO market has been pretty dry and that there is built in irrational exuberance, this is closely looking like the 2000 Tech Bubble (still highly unlikely that it could burst now). You're also seen prices for some of these companies never dropping, SnowFlake for instance is till up 40.0% for the year.

I'll prob put a small amount in if I see a correction that hits my target and if it keeps falling, ill reduce my average price till a bottom occurs. MY rule is anything 15% below my entry position or average price I sell and consider it a loss.

EDIT: Also ill add that the relative and DCF valuation for both companies are ridiculous low compared its current market cap.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never cared for buying oil companies, but oil is $50/barrel for you petroleum investors. Expectation is demand is going up due to vaccine effect and there was a tanker explosion in SA.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I've never cared for buying oil companies, but oil is $50/barrel for you petroleum investors. Expectation is demand is going up due to vaccine effect and there was a tanker explosion in SA.

COP, XOM were good positions to buy for dividend.

I have bought OKE a midstream stock around $18 back in March for their dividend and put it in my low vol portoflio.

The stock was diluted in middle of the year and it fell but slowly rising with pricing.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I bought 50 shares of Virgin Galactic in premarket at $27. Its down 17% because the test flight didn't go as expected on the weekend. Computer malfunction caused safety override and the rockets shut down causing the craft to abort the trip into orbit.
Personally, I think it's an over reaction and as long as the next test goes fine it will jump back up significantly.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I bought 50 shares of Virgin Galactic in premarket at $27. Its down 17% because the test flight didn't go as expected on the weekend. Computer malfunction caused safety override and the rockets shut down causing the craft to abort the trip into orbit.
Personally, I think it's an over reaction and as long as the next test goes fine it will jump back up significantly.

y’all got bigger brass balls than me

VierV9N.jpg

thinking about selling my stock in PK and go for some more MSFT.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member

Rickyiez

I think the semiconductor sector is over valued. I’m staying away from it and placing bigger bets into cloud computing and storage

Azure is a sleeping monster

AMD also contribute alot to Cloud computing with EPYC though. You can't have cloud without the hardware

ManofOne

Plus Member
AMD also contribute alot to Cloud computing with EPYC though. You can't have cloud without the hardware

This is true but I still think the value is overzelous. I valued AMD at $73 so I think it has some downside. The average street consensus is gives it an average price of around $90

It’s acquiring of XLNX for $35 billion is an issue for me as well. I think they are over optimistic on the synergy there and theyve fooled the market on that

Edit - can some fact check me on this but did short interest on AMD hit a new high?

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned

Schwab here too, but may see what Ally has to offer. If I can transfer cash quicker through Ally then that is a big win for me. I don't like leaving my cash in a Schwab account with zero FDIC protections.

DarkestHour

Banned
Schwab doesn't have FDIC protections?

I thought I read that they do.

Says right on the login page:

Brokerage Products: Not FDIC Insured • No Bank Guarantee • May Lose Value

If this is only for investments, that makes sense. Unfortunately, Schwab is down for the second time in as many weeks so I can't double-check if my cash in the accound is FDIC insured.

BigBooper

Schwab here too, but may see what Ally has to offer. If I can transfer cash quicker through Ally then that is a big win for me. I don't like leaving my cash in a Schwab account with zero FDIC protections.
I use Merrill Edge. It's ok I guess. The graphs don't work great all the time, but they've very rarely had downtime, so they beat Robinhood there. I started out on Robinhood, and I miss the realtime information from them, but Merrill had at least one feature I needed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dumped my Trivago for a second time. Made $3,000 total in the flips. It wasnt $30,000 or $300,000, but good enough. Been lucky. Each time I bought it, it rose around 25 cents each time.

Hoping to have a lean portfolio by Xmas.

ManofOne

Plus Member
What yall thinking. Will they extend the stop eviction from January. Bc if they don't markets are fucked next 6 months.

BigBooper

What yall thinking. Will they extend the stop eviction from January. Bc if they don't markets are fucked next 6 months.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did for a short time, but I expect Biden's response will be similar to Obama's and we're in for another housing crash.

ManofOne

Plus Member
AirBnb and DoorDash are down against the larger market. This is an indicator of a short term correction given its comparable market caps to competitors.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Here is an excerpt of a summary I have to do for work. Forgive the broken grammar.

If I were a betting man, the stock markets for 2021 is going to be a very slow year.

Household Evictions & New Home Buying
an extension in the CDC order on pausing evictions for 3 months starting January 2021. Depressed rates are allowing homes to refinance their mortgages and access cheaper home equity, providing them with ability to payoff short term debts. The mortgage debt service ratio has fallen to its lowest in a decade around 3.0% with the average 30-year M-Rate hitting a low of around 3.0% as well.

Geo-preferences are shifing new home buying away from urban city centers to sub urban properties, this is expect to continue well into 2021 as low rates feed consumer appetite for new homes. Homebuilder’s outlooks continue to peak at all time highs with expectations mimicking behaviors in 30-year mortgage yields.

Average household debt has fallen to levels not seen since 1980 to around 13.0. However, we expect this figure to rise going forward, alongside the modest and sequential increases in inflation and taxes.

Inflation
Inflation will continue to remain artificially depressed as companies have yet to transfer COVID-19 related costs onto the consumer in a meaningful manner. Fiscal and monetary interventions have proven effect in cancelling additional costs to businesses however, these hidden burdens are expected to extend well beyond next the business cycle.

Inflation has remained stubbornly sticky below the 2.0% target prior to COVID-19 as factors of production remain easily transferable across borders. This dynamic is expected to change going forward, as supply chains shift homeward and as business diversify these chains away from China.

With the larger a than anticipated monetary intervention into capital and lending markets, investors will observe sequential increases in the normal and new form of inflation hedging which includes gold, commodities and cryptocurrencies.

State Taxation
Budgetary shortfalls for all 50 states are noticeably higher this year because of COVID-19. States with the largest exposure the virus and the subsequent lock-down policy are expected to raise taxes by an average consensus of 0.8% -1.0% per current amount. The federal reserve has extended its MLF program which includes adjust the duration of the bonds under it purview. Credit spreads have historically remained relatively tight in the muni market with only 9.0% of municipal bonds failing into the lowest grade. This relationship is however expected to change as local governments battle the rising social costs associated with lock downs. While the Federal Reserve is expected to continue is MLF program, its scope is limited with the expected raise in inflation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom