• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Avallon

Signed up for a Robinhood account among the fervor
hCGwl3e.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GME only +$10 now. Peaked at $160. Now at $70. Any long who got in late is down $90 already. And any short covering from whatever they bought it at is down big lately, especially if they covered/bailed earlier today at $100+.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
do you guys use market orders or limit? when i do market i see some real fishy shit.
I never do market. Even if it's a widely sold stock, I always buy and sell at a stated price that is +/- a nickel.

Never do market order on stocks with low volume. The bid/asks might be oddly big and you can get hooped if you're unlucky putting in a market order and some guy burns you with a bad price.

My bank charges the same commission price, so I save nothing doing a limit order. Long time ago, market orders were the cheapest comm rates. Not anymore.

Doing a market order exactly at the current price can burn you too if you get partly filled. I did that one time buying 1000 shares. I got 2 shares filled and had to adjust my order price for the other 998 shares.

Most of the time, if you have a stock at $20 if you edge up your buy or sell price a nickel or dime, you'll get your whole order filled assuming it's a stock that has decent volume. Your buy and sold stocks will be filled in between the price and dime buffer, so it's not like you pay or sell at 10 cents off for the whole thing, unless it so happens the next bid/ask is really a dime gap.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never use market orders.
Ya.

And for all the newer investors, especially never do market orders in premarket or after hours. I;ve never done trading in those hours as my account isn't even set up for it.... or maybe it's allowed but I never tried lately.

In pre and post market trading, the price swings and weird bid and asks really show up.

A stock is $10. Some dude will put a sell price at 8 am at $13 hoping some guy accidentally buys it.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Ya.

And for all the newer investors, especially never do market orders in premarket or after hours. I;ve never done trading in those hours as my account isn't even set up for it.... or maybe it's allowed but I never tried lately.

In pre and post market trading, the price swings and weird bid and asks really show up.

A stock is $10. Some dude will put a sell price at 8 am at $13 hoping some guy accidentally buys it.

Yep for illiquid stocks the spread is massive. So you might by a stock that is $3.00 higher than its bid price.

mango drank

Anyone ever do day trading for any stretch of time? Legit day trading w/ $25k+ in the account, occasional leverage, etc. Seems like a stressful thing to do. Apparently most people who try don't even break even.

ManofOne

Plus Member
These cunts actually bankrupt Melvin Capital.

edge fund titans Ken Griffin and Steve Cohen boosted Gabe Plotkin’s Melvin Capital, injecting a total of $2.75 billion into the firm after it lost about 30% this year.

Citadel funds and firm partners will invest $2 billion, while Point72 Asset Management’s investment will be $750 million, the firms said Monday. In return, the investors will get a non-controlling revenue share in the six-year-old hedge fund. Melvin Capital may receive an additional $1 billion infusion from other investors on Feb. 1, according to a person familiar with the plans.

The capital infusion comes after Melvin Capital, which started the year with about $12.5 billion in assets, has seen its short bets, including GameStop Corp., go awry, spurring the losses, people familiar with the firm said.

This year’s stumble is rare for Plotkin. His firm has returned an average 30% a year since it was started in December 2014 after nearly a decade working for Cohen.

Short-selling has been a perilous business this year. The most-shorted stocks in the Russell 1000 index have climbed about 12% so far in January, while the index overall has risen 2.9% year-to-date.

Unlike some managers who have nearly given up on shorting in recent years as stock indexes marched ever higher, Plotkin has continued to make bets on falling stocks. At the end of the third quarter, for example, the firm had puts -- or bets that prices would fall -- on 17 U.S.-listed companies, according to a regulatory filing.

“Gabe Plotkin and team have delivered exceptional results over the history of Melvin,” Citadel founder Ken Griffin said in a statement. “We have great confidence in Gabe and his team.”

In a statement, Cohen said he has known Plotkin since 2006 and “he is an exceptional investor and leader.”

Plotkin spent eight years at Cohen’s predecessor firm, SAC Capital Advisors, and his firm has been one of that shop’s most successful spin-outs. Cohen previously invested about $1 billion in Melvin.

“I am incredibly proud to partner with Ken Griffin and Steve Cohen,” Plotkin said. “The team at Melvin is eager to get to work and reward the confidence of these two great investment icons.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Dang meme stock gonna meme today

WATERLOO, ON and BEIJING, Jan. 25, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced an expansion of its strategic partnership with Baidu, whose high-definition maps will run on the QNX® Neutrino® Real-time Operating System (RTOS) and will be mass-produced in the forthcoming GAC New Energy Aion models from the EV arm of GAC Group (Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd.).

The milestones build on the company's January 2018 agreement to make BlackBerry QNX's industry-leading ISO 26262 ASIL D certified operating system (OS) the foundation for Baidu's 'Apollo' autonomous driving open platform.

Baidu is one of the few high-definition map vendors with an Automotive SPICE® certification from TÜV Rheinland – an industry certification that addresses rigid requirements for the software development process for Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive suppliers. With world-leading levels of data granularity, Baidu's high-definition maps provide a critical component for global automakers looking to launch next generation connected and autonomous vehicles in China.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dang meme stock gonna meme today

WATERLOO, ON and BEIJING, Jan. 25, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced an expansion of its strategic partnership with Baidu, whose high-definition maps will run on the QNX® Neutrino® Real-time Operating System (RTOS) and will be mass-produced in the forthcoming GAC New Energy Aion models from the EV arm of GAC Group (Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd.).

The milestones build on the company's January 2018 agreement to make BlackBerry QNX's industry-leading ISO 26262 ASIL D certified operating system (OS) the foundation for Baidu's 'Apollo' autonomous driving open platform.

Baidu is one of the few high-definition map vendors with an Automotive SPICE® certification from TÜV Rheinland – an industry certification that addresses rigid requirements for the software development process for Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive suppliers. With world-leading levels of data granularity, Baidu's high-definition maps provide a critical component for global automakers looking to launch next generation connected and autonomous vehicles in China.
Oh god.

Please dont remind me! Sold my shares at about $18 cdn Friday. It'll probably be $25+ at today's opening bell. Maybe even pop to $30. lol

ManofOne

Plus Member
This morning from Bloomberg

In the eyes of S3 founder Bob Sloan thinks there’s more pain to come for the short-sellers still targeting GameStop.

“Get prepared for another round of short squeeze,” Sloane said in a Bloomberg Television interview Monday. “You are going to see GameStop go way higher.”
He added that the people who originally shorted the stock have been “taken out” only to be replaced by new investors who are going to short it again.

But action in the options market suggests the tide may eventually turn, according to Susquehanna International Group. The pace of bearish put-contract buying outpaced that of call purchases on Monday, with roughly 500,000 puts purchases versus 275,000 calls. That follows a similar dynamic on Friday, after six consecutive weeks of call volume clocking in higher than put buying.
“The GME rally is unlikely to last forever, and investors looking for a sign we are closer to the end could look at the 6 week streak of call volume outpacing put volume finally being broken,” wrote Susquehanna co-head of derivatives strategy Chris Murphy in a note Monday.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Put volume is two times the call volume, but if they buying out of the money call options at a ridiculous pace then it could go higher.

Buggy Loop

All call options last Friday were ITM. Can you imagine that? If it’s big hedge funds doubling down on their shorts, they’re more retarded than WSB.

Top Bottom