• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

GHG

Tesla, MicroStrategy, GrayScale, GDH, etc. Then there are also a bunch of billionaires who are heavy into crypto. Mark Cuban, Mike Saylor, Richard Branson, Chris Larsen, Tim Draper, etc.

Tesla invested 10% of its $19 billion cash holding in BTC just earlier this year.

PLTR also announced they are going to start getting involved with bitcoin as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Big inflation! What a surprise! /S

- Ultra low interest and mortgage rates! Unless you have the worst credit rating out there, you should be able to get a mortgage for only 2% (some friends I know got about 1.5%!). Home prices go zoom!

- People hoarding shit making core material/ingredient companies, manufacturers and stores run out of supply so they jack up prices!

- Lockdown in many cities, but somehow only grocery stores, gas stations, online, Costco, Home Depot, KFC, Pizza Hut are allowed to stay open and other giant corporations so they hog the sales! They know it, so they jack up the prices too! On the other hand, an optician that helps people with vision care is closed because he's an independent shop!

- Retailers and manufacturers (like mine) cut back on promotions because we know Joe Retard is going to buy enough soap to last 5 years at regular price! So might as well take advantage and hike prices like everyone else!

- The biggest handouts ever by government including wishy washy tracking (more like zero tracking in Canada), stimulus funds, and people getting as much money as working min wage, so might as well just stay home and buy shit without contributing to the pot of goods and services! The money is still there, but fewer businesses open, which leads to.... (see above)!

- Handout and stimulus perks were encouraged to be used to buy shit, instead something more reasonable like free money going to pay off debts!

- Crypto currency prices skyrocketing to an all time high making those people shit loads of money, probably zero taxes paid, and gov doesn't care letting it free wheel into forever jackpots of Dogecoin moolah!

Last edited:

GHG

Big inflation! What a surprise! /S

- Ultra low interest and mortgage rates! Unless you have the worst credit rating out there, you should be able to get a mortgage for only 2% (some friends I know got about 1.5%!). Home prices go zoom!

- People hoarding shit making core material/ingredient companies, manufacturers and stores run out of supply so they jack up prices!

- Lockdown in many cities, but somehow only grocery stores, gas stations, online, Costco, Home Depot, KFC, Pizza Hut are allowed to stay open and other giant corporations so they hog the sales! They know it, so they jack up the prices too! On the other hand, an optician that helps people with vision care is closed because he's an independent shop!

- Retailers and manufacturers (like mine) cut back on promotions because we know Joe Retard is going to buy enough soap to last 5 years at regular price! So might as well take advantage and hike prices like everyone else!

- The biggest handouts ever by government including wishy washy tracking (more like zero tracking in Canada), stimulus funds, and people getting as much money as working min wage, so might as well just stay home and buy shit without contributing to the pot of goods and services! The money is still there, but fewer businesses open, which leads to.... (see above)!

- Handout and stimulus perks were encouraged to be used to buy shit, instead something more reasonable like free money going to pay off debts!

- Crypto currency prices skyrocketing to an all time high making those people shit loads of money, probably zero taxes paid, and gov doesn't care letting it free wheel into forever jackpots of Dogecoin moolah!

In summary, just buy some shiba inu and relax.

elon musk smoking GIF

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Spent most of the morning doing actual work and couldn’t focus enough to buy anything. I am hoping for another red day honestly.

GHG

Spent most of the morning doing actual work and couldn’t focus enough to buy anything. I am hoping for another red day honestly.

Call me crazy but I want a bit of a market reset so I'll welcome a continued sell-off for a couple of months if it means we can get some logical valuations in the market and then proceed with a more well thought out and cautious mentality going forward.

Who am I kidding though, this boom-bust cycle will continue until the end of time.

Liljagare

Just curious, looking at this stock, Africa Energy Corp (AEC).

Can someone explain what is going on with it? Tempted to toss in a few, but, despite just positive triggers, it just keeps dipping, and holding way down.

Typical Lundin stock?

godhandiscen

With the crypto sell off, money might flood back into tech. I am not that confident on another red day tomorrow.
Also, it has happened too many times, whenever I skip trading because of work, I miss some golden opportunity to buy the true dip.

zeorhymer

Uh oh.

So fucking glad I got out of all my blockchain related plays yesterday.

Just weird that Tesla specifically singles out coal. You need coal to make steel. Tesla can buy up as much crypto they want, but they're not going to sell. Probably sitting on it instead of gold and it may not be able to be taxed. Since the corp tax will go back up, who knows if they're going to use this to move money out of the US. All that power stuff is bull. They make electric cars ya know.

Tesla, MicroStrategy, GrayScale, GDH, etc. Then there are also a bunch of billionaires who are heavy into crypto. Mark Cuban, Mike Saylor, Richard Branson, Chris Larsen, Tim Draper, etc.

Tesla invested 10% of its $19 billion cash holding in BTC just earlier this year.
And now TSLA does not accept Bitcoin payments anymore citing concern for the environment. I imagine this means they got btc off their balance sheet as well

I wish we had these easy Stock access apps 10 years ago. This no fee, no brain cells needed stuff is addictive.

Still how do I step away from checking my stocks daily. If I want to just try and put money in and play the 5-10 year hope I gain game.
How do you step away from the fears of crashes and dips?

Everything I want to buy are with 5 to 10 year expectations, my anxiety can't take the daily, or minute to munute game.

I wish we had these easy Stock access apps 10 years ago. This no fee, no brain cells needed stuff is addictive.

Still how do I step away from checking my stocks daily. If I want to just try and put money in and play the 5-10 year hope I gain game.
How do you step away from the fears of crashes and dips?

Everything I want to buy are with 5 to 10 year expectations, my anxiety can't take the daily, or minute to munute game.

I still paper trade in addition my real brokerage account. I probably log in twice a year to the paper trade account, and it does better than my real account.

Why? Because there’s less chance my emotions take over and force me to sell. Also, probably because it’s fake money.

But it’s good practice for what I should be doing.

Raven117

I still paper trade in addition my real brokerage account. I probably log in twice a year to the paper trade account, and it does better than my real account.

Why? Because there’s less chance my emotions take over and force me to sell. Also, probably because it’s fake money.

But it’s good practice for what I should be doing.
I like paper trading as well. It satisfies my curiosity of trading and almost always reminds me that “sheet is harder than it looks.” I real trade for entertainment value but have my real investment money in the long term boring stuff. And it does great.

zeorhymer

Do you guys think buying Hertz now is still good?
They just exited Chapter 11. States are opening back up and people want to go places. Gas shortage will hinder it a bit. I wouldn't doubt it that it'll hover around 8-12 until next quarter.

Edit: Now if FMCC and FNMA would get out of conservatorship, I'd be rolling.

Last edited:
Do you guys think buying Hertz now is still good?
From a charting standpoint I'd rather wait til it pulled back closer to the 20 SMA before buying in.

They just exited Chapter 11. States are opening back up and people want to go places. Gas shortage will hinder it a bit. I wouldn't doubt it that it'll hover around 8-12 until next quarter.
So will they get their old ticker back? And how does that work with any current shares owned under HTZGQ?

zeorhymer

So will they get their old ticker back? And how does that work with any current shares owned under HTZGQ?
If they don't move exchanges, they will get their old ticker back. If they prove financial worthiness, the HTZGQ will get converted back to HTZ. More than likely, a private equity firm with deep wallets will buy out all the outstanding shares and convert it to a private held company. After some restructuring or number moving, they'll go public again and cash out. In all honesty, I haven't seen any company come out of the pink sheets and go back on the exchange.

From a charting standpoint I'd rather wait til it pulled back closer to the 20 SMA before buying in.

My understanding is that Knighthead and Apollo pretty much bailed them out of Chapter 11 so it will remain HTZGQ

mango drank

I sold out of most of my ARK a few days ago. Months too late, but better than nothing. I'm gonna use the loss for tax-loss harvesting, because I sold a bunch of other stuff for a profit earlier in the year.

down 2 orth

Not sure if this is a noob question or whatnot, but was yesterday kind of an indication of which stocks might get hit the hardest in the coming year?

GHG

Semiconductor stocks are really feeling the pressure at the moment.

I'm not sure when this changes for the sector but the moment it does it's going to rip. Some INTC leaps are looking very attractive at the moment.

Last edited:
Everyone was banking on their streaming business being a boom - their share price increase in the last 12 months certainly wasn't because of their theme park performance...
While I wouldn't mind seeing the price fall a bit further I think it'll be back around the 50 day MA soon. Disney+ was bound to take a bit of a hit after the price raise and pandemic fizzling, but they're consistently adding quality content to it and now that the park revenue will start coming back I think they'll be in good shape moving forward.

Reactions: GHG

godhandiscen

My stocks portfolio this year keeps swinging six figures up and down, and today I reached a new low after Musk decided to shit on crypto bulls.

I think I am buying a PS5 to cheer myself up, scalper prices be damned.

GHG

While I wouldn't mind seeing the price fall a bit further I think it'll be back around the 50 day MA soon. Disney+ was bound to take a bit of a hit after the price raise and pandemic fizzling, but they're consistently adding quality content to it and now that the park revenue will start coming back I think they'll be in good shape moving forward.

Yeh I wouldn't sweat it too much due to how good the company is and how well set up they are for the future but it's likely that the reopening and some of the potential for Disney+ is already priced in.

zeorhymer

DIS has so much debt I'm still puzzled why their stock keeps going up. Must be that Disney magic.

I feel like I want to exit out of financials, but I have no idea what to put in. I'm looking at cyber security stocks as that will be the focal point right now. CYBR seems to be doing well, but there was a large sell off earlier in the month. PANW and FTNT seems to be too high for my liking.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

ManofOne ManofOne

How much more upside do you anticipate for the financial sector if inflation continues to play out as it has so far going into the rest of this year?

I'm seeing a lot of the companies in XLF are at (or near) all time highs, any need to be concerned?

DIS has so much debt I'm still puzzled why their stock keeps going up. Must be that Disney magic.

I feel like I want to exit out of financials, but I have no idea what to put in. I'm looking at cyber security stocks as that will be the focal point right now. CYBR seems to be doing well, but there was a large sell off earlier in the month. PANW and FTNT seems to be too high for my liking.

At the moment I'm comfortable having a decent chunk of money on the sidelines. Really have to hunt hard for things that have breathing space to move up at the moment.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
ManofOne ManofOne

How much more upside do you anticipate for the financial sector if inflation continues to play out as it has so far going into the rest of this year?

I'm seeing a lot of the companies in XLF are at (or near) all time highs, any need to be concerned?

It will most likely continue if inflation keeps rising on an average month over month basis of 0.3%. That would put it over 3.0% marker. Mortgage rates would have to adjust and the likelihood of interest rates being pull forward and adjust late Q4 will reach 61%.

I'm never concerned about banking unless they're really stupid and enabling margin debt. Keep watching their balance sheet and exposure limits. Only a handful of banks have the strongest balance sheet and Warren buffet holding them.

GHG

It will most likely continue if inflation keeps rising on an average month over month basis of 0.3%. That would put it over 3.0% marker. Mortgage rates would have to adjust and the likelihood of interest rates being pull forward and adjust late Q4 will reach 61%.

I'm never concerned about banking unless they're really stupid and enabling margin debt. Keep watching their balance sheet and exposure limits. Only a handful of banks have the strongest balance sheet and Warren buffet holding them.

Thank you.

Going all in on FAS then :pie_roffles: (just kidding, about the all in bit)

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thank you.

Going all in on FAS then :pie_roffles: (just kidding, about the all in bit)

If you got a good margin of safety then I personally won't sell XLF. Its average rate of return (not including inflaiton) is 33.0% per annum.

I've held it since 2013.

Last edited:
Any chance the CDC mask guidance has a positive effect for the markets tomorrow or does this accelerate inflation because the economy is about to come roaring back?

Top Bottom