• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...nt08.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/08/ixworld.html
wsent08a.jpg

Sentinelese tribesmen prepare to fire arrows at
the coastguard helicopter after the fishermen's murder

wsent08b.jpg

Tribesmen clamber over the fishermen's beached boat

Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island
By Peter Foster in New Delhi
(Filed: 08/02/2006)

One of the world's last Stone Age tribes has murdered two fishermen whose boat drifted on to a desert island in the Indian Ocean.

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.

They are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

The two men killed, Sunder Raj, 48, and Pandit Tiwari, 52, were fishing illegally for mud crabs off North Sentinel Island, a speck of land in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands archipelago.

Fellow fishermen said they dropped anchor for the night on Jan 25 but fell into a deep sleep, probably helped by large amounts of alcohol.

During the night their anchor, a rock tied to a rope, failed to hold their open-topped boat against the currents and they drifted towards the island.

"As day broke, fellow fishermen say they tried to shout at the men and warn them they were in danger," said Samir Acharya, the head of the Society for Andaman and Nicobar Ecology, an environmental organisation.

"However they did not respond - they were probably drunk - and the boat drifted into the shallows where they were attacked and killed."

After the fishermen's families raised the alarm, the Indian coastguard tried to recover the bodies using a helicopter but was met by the customary hail of arrows.

Photographs shot from the helicopter show the near-naked tribesmen rushing to fire. But the downdraught from its rotors exposed the two fisherman buried in shallow graves and not roasted and eaten, as local rumour suggested.

Mr Acharya said the erroneous belief in the tribe's cannibalism grew from the practice of another tribe, the Onge, who would cut up and burn their dead to avoid them returning as evil spirits.

"People saw the flesh cooking on the fire and thought they must be cannibals but this incident clearly contradicts that belief," he said.

Attempts to recover the bodies of the two men have been suspended, although the Andaman Islands police chief, Dharmendra Kumar, said an operation might be mounted later.

"Right now, there will be casualties on both sides," he said from Port Blair. "The tribesmen are out in large numbers. We shall let things cool down and once these tribals move to the island's other end we will sneak in and bring back the bodies."

Environmental groups urged the authorities to leave the bodies and respect the three-mile exclusion zone thrown around the island.

In the 1980s and early 1990s many Sentinelese were killed in skirmishes with armed salvage operators who visited the island after a shipwreck. Since then the tribesmen have remained virtually undisturbed.

DNA analysis of another tribe, the Jarawa, whose members made first contact with the outside world in 1997, suggest that the tribesmen migrated from Africa around 60,000 years ago.

However, the experience of the Jarawa since their emergence - sexual exploitation, alcoholism and a measles epidemic - has encouraged efforts to protect the Sentinelese from a similar fate.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Whatever we do, do not send over tanks to conqure them :O Those spearmen are deadly !

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Actually, it is pretty neat that they survived the tsunami. Last thing I read sounded like nobody knew what happened to them.

Man, that sounds like an awesome movie in the making!

I wonder how many tribes are left in the world that still haven't made first contact. I heard a lot about the ones on New Guinea during the 70s, and they sound pretty interesting.

NetMapel said:
Whatever we do, do not send over tanks to conqure them :O Those spearmen are deadly !

Thats only if you forget to bombard them with your seige weapons.

Jeff-DSA

ConfusingJazz said:
Man, that sounds like an awesome movie in the making!

I wonder how many tribes are left in the world that still haven't made first contact. I heard a lot about the ones on New Guinea during the 70s, and they sound pretty interesting.

A few years ago a really old man wandered out of the Andes mountains in a Chilean town. He couldn't communicate with anybody because of language differences but he indicated via hand signals where he came from. An expedition found where he had been camped for what seemed to be years. They theorized that he was the last of an ancient Native (South) American tribe that had been untouched and uncontacted by modern man. Quite few buried bodies were found but they had been dead for years. He only lived for a few days in the town before getting ill and dying.

I wish I could find the report on this again as I know I'm leaving out a few neat details. I read a newspaper clipping of it when I was down in Chile that a family had saved. The family saved it because the dad was really into the culture of the natives before the Spanish came.

Kuramu

can you even imagine what they think when they see a helicopter. I mean, really imagine it....

edit: it's sad, i will never know such a feeling

Malakhov

Banned
Kuramu said:
can you even imagine what they think when they see a helicopter. I mean, really imagine it....

edit: it's sad, i will never know such a feeling
Flying monster! ATTACK! ATTACK!

Absurd when you think about it hehe.

Nameless

When was the last time someone got killed by a bow & arrow? I'm not talking about an accident with one of those high tech aero dynamic metal and plastic arrows but the old school tree branch + carved rock or wood arrow.

I wonder if these had been Americans would Bush invade this island?

Malakhov

Banned
Seriously, what do these people think when they see something like an helicopter? Have they evolved and learned what things like that are? It's fascinating.

Would be really akward to be in that helicopter and then hearing some noises and then figuring out they are attacking you with arrows.

Nameless

FlameOfCallandor said:
This is the coolest thing ever! I wonder if they know dinosaurs are extinct. They can move back to civilization now.

Fuck that..I'm going to that island with a Halloween Mask, an ass of firecrackers, a flaregun, a super soaker watergun, a radio, a blow torch, a lead vest,a leaf blower a huge flashlight, and a shotgun....

Their arrows would bounce off me, I could make water, wind, and fire, harness the power of the sun, summon "the voices of the dead", create explosions, and kill people with my mytersious arm...I WOULD BE VIEWED AS A GOD...A GOD...MUAHAHAHAHAHHA

Ripclawe

Banned
Malakhov said:
Seriously, what do these people think when they see something like an helicopter? Have they evolved and learned what things like that are? It's fascinating.

Would be really akward to be in that helicopter and then hearing some noises and then figuring out they are attacking you with arrows.

They have had contact with the outside world, they just don't give a damn to know anything about you.

they know copters bring outsiders

Kuramu

it's like an episode of star trek dealing with the ... what's it called, that rule about not inte.... prime directive. You know these people have to talk about it with each other. Now in a thousand years they will tell stories about not angering the Flying Spin God.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Nameless said:
Fuck that..I'm going to that island with a Halloween Mask, an ass of firecrackers, a flaregun, a super soaker watergun, a radio, a blow torch, a lead vest,a leaf blower a huge flashlight, and a shotgun....

Their arrows would bounce off me, I could make water, wind, and fire, harness the power of the sun, summon "the voices of the dead", create explosions, and kill people with my mytersious arm...I WOULD BE VIEWED AS A GOD...A GOD...MUAHAHAHAHAHHA

LOL

Yea, until the one that doesn't want to obey the rules, pulls out his Handcannon and blows you away Leon style.

sky

Wow... that is really fascinating, and bizarre (err, and unfortunate). I wonder what stories they tell their kids about the "outside world", and why they shouldn't be going out to explore it.

"can you even imagine what they think when they see a helicopter."

This: "Damn! A chopper now? I told you we should have let those fisherman go. The boss ain't gunna be happy."

Who ever would have thought that keeping your evil lair a secret was as easy as having your henchmen dress as a stone age tribe? Brilliant!

Nameless

sky said:
Wow... that is really fascinating, and bizarre (err, and unfortunate). I wonder what stories they tell their kids about the "outside world", and why they shouldn't be going out to explore it.

They tell them that "The ones we shall not speak of" patrol the island and will kill anyone who ventures to the shores. Where do you think M.Night got his Village story from?

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Nameless said:
When was the last time someone got killed by a bow & arrow? I'm not talking about an accident with one of those high tech aero dynamic metal and plastic arrows but the old school tree branch + carved rock or wood arrow.

I wonder if these had been Americans would Bush invade this island?
LOL

Joe Molotov

I'd be awesome to go in there and kidnap one of those people and then take them to Vegas or New York City or something for a day or two. :lol

Sunski

emomoonbase said:
Actually, it is pretty neat that they survived the tsunami. Last thing I read sounded like nobody knew what happened to them.

Just after the Tsunami the BBC reported that a rescue helicoptor visited all of these tribes on the small islands and they were met by spears and arrows. Appears the tribes people used ancient methods to detect and avoid the waves such as the oh so simple "Oh shit! The animals are running away!" method.

Kuramu

imagine explaining to them that we've been to the great white circle in the sky.... as you remove the spear from your forehead

Diablos said:
I want more pics and info of obscure tribes.
A quick Google revealed nothing more than the same paragraph about this particular tribe. Perhaps theirs more information, but after the first five sites, I gave up. Especially since parts of those paragraphs made mention that no one knows anything about them. There's no photograph of the inside of their dwellings, for example.

I dunno why, but I'd love to go there and shoot one.

Not because I have anything against them, I'd just like to see the reaction of the rest of them.

Of course I'd have to bring something with a lot of bullets, p90!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom