• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Stone Age" tribe kills 2 fishermen ("Stone Age" news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...kills-fishermen-who-strayed-on-to-island.html

One of the world's last Stone Age tribes has murdered two fishermen whose boat drifted on to a desert island in the Indian Ocean.

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.

They are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

The two men killed, Sunder Raj, 48, and Pandit Tiwari, 52, were fishing illegally for mud crabs off North Sentinel Island, a speck of land in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands archipelago.

More at the link. Amazing that these groups still exist. I wonder how much technological progress they have made internally in all the time they have been isolated?

DrMungo

what's crazy is that their not even that far from India. TO be this isolated you'd think its in extreme climates or in the middle of the Pacific

dorkimoe

I wonder what would ever happen if some conflict arose with them and some like outsiders. I mean you cant fault them for living in the "stone age" they dont know how the "real world" is

I wonder what would ever happen if some conflict arose with them and some like outsiders. I mean you cant fault them for living in the "stone age" they dont know how the "real world" is

They know perfectly well what the real world is. They're just being stubborn.

Slo

Don't underestimate them. According to Civilization, a spear can take out a tank.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
it's too bad they probably wouldn't allow a documentary filmmaker in there.
Fascinating.

Douse the island in sleeping gas and set up hidden cameras over night. You've got yourself an awesome new reality show.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They know perfectly well what the real world is. They're just being stubborn.

How would they if they've never been within arrow range of it until this incident?

Zeke

same thing that happened when europeans came to the new world. Disease, death and another culture wiped off the planet

AlexBasch

I recall some tribe near the Amazon River in Brazil that looked in awe when a plane flew over them and took a picture.

This one.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I recall some group of evangelists thinking about getting there and teach them the ways of God or something. :lol

I recall some tribe near the Amazon River in Brazil that looked in awe when a plane flew over them and took a picture.

This one.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I recall some group of evangelists thinking about getting there and teach them the ways of God or something. :lol

These guys were wiped out by drug runners

edit: somebody was wiped out by drug runners

Patryn

Read the article. That already happened with some illegal salvagers a while back. End result was dead bodies on both sides.

So other than the photographer knowing the tribe already existed, there isn't much else that is "fake" about the story. They may still be an uncontacted tribes, as noted above they do exist in the Amazon, and he just knew where to go looking for them from the air. He did fabricate a bit of the story however in saying that they were newly discovered.

When I heard people saying it was "fake" I thought they were saying that someone went out in the jungle and staged the entire thing. That is far from the case.

Vagabundo

We shouted back and gestured to indicate that we wanted to be friends. The tension did not ease. At this moment, a strange thing happened — a woman paired off with a warrior and sat on the sand in a passionate embrace. This act was being repeated by other women, each claiming a warrior for herself, a sort of community mating, as it were. Thus did the militant group diminish. This continued for quite some time and when the tempo of this frenzied dance of desire abated, the couples retired into the shade of the jungle.

Interesting tribe.

Eusis

Are they being prosecuted?
Fuck going there to arrest them.
Even putting aside the age of the story, they WERE fishing there illegally. I kind of figure once they figure out what happened they went "welp!" and moved on to other problems.

So other than the photographer knowing the tribe already existed, there isn't much else that is "fake" about the story. They may still be an uncontacted tribes, as noted above they do exist in the Amazon, and he just knew where to go looking for them from the air. He did fabricate a bit of the story however in saying that they were newly discovered.

When I heard people saying it was "fake" I thought they were saying that someone went out in the jungle and staged the entire thing. That is far from the case.

I think he contacted that particular tribe before flying over it. He knew about them for over 2 decades

Survival International, the organisation that released the pictures along with Funai, conceded yesterday that Funai had known about this nomadic tribe for around two decades.

and he knew what it meant that they were wearing red paint

"Because painted red means they are ready for war, which to me says they are happy and healthy defending their territory."

which meant he has knowledge of their culture. I think it's pretty unlikely that there are any tribes who have no knowledge whatsoever of modern civilization.

which meant he has knowledge of their culture. I think it's pretty unlikely that there are any tribes who have no knowledge whatsoever of modern civilization.

Actually, there are surprisingly quite a few uncontacted tribes still roaming the planet. At least more than you would expect. But when you say "no knowledge whatsoever" it gets a bit hazy. Some of them have probably seen aircraft flying over, which would give them some kind of indication of the modern world. But beyond that, there are actually people who haven't had any kind of significant contact or interaction with modern civilization.

Watevaman

North Sentinel Island is awesome to read about. Especially the story of the ship that got caught on the reef nearby in the 80s or so. And what's even more awesome is you can't see anything on the island in satellite photos. It's absolute jungle.

This may be a dumb question, but how long has human intelligence been at the level we're at now? As humans, we're not necessarily "smarter" than these tribesman, just more learned. If you were to take one of their infants and raise it in a first-world country, they would develop like any normal person. But how back would you have to go in human history before this isn't the case? 10,0000 years? Further back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom