• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Uncontacted' Indian tribe spotted in Brazil (With Pic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

zl8cxu.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080530/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/brazil_indians

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - One of Brazil's last uncontacted Indian tribes has been spotted in the far western Amazon jungle near the Peruvian border, the National Indian Foundation said Thursday.

The Indians were sighted in an Ethno-Environmental Protected Area along the Envira River in flights over remote Acre state, said the government foundation, known as Funai.

Funai said it photographed "strong and healthy" warriors, six huts and a large planted area. But it was not known to which tribe they belonged, the group said.

"Four distinct isolated peoples exist in this region, whom we have accompanied for 20 years," Funai expert Jose Carlos Meirelles Junior said in a statement.

Funai does not make contact with the Indians and prevents invasions of their land, to ensure total autonomy for the isolated tribes, the foundation said.

Survival International said the Indians are in danger from illegal logging in Peru, which is driving uncontacted tribes over the border and could lead to conflict with the estimated 500 uncontacted Indians now living on the Brazilian side.

There are more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, most of them in Brazil and Peru, the group said in a statement.

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Survival director Stephen Corry said.

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct."

Did search, lock if old, etc.

NotWii

Banned
That's amazing!

Imagine what else is still hidden in the world.
Bigfoot, Nessie, Mothman, Chupacabras, Mokele Membe!
IT'S ALL GAME!

We still don't know much about the deep oceans, most of it is still uncharted.

I'm skeptical. It is two-thousand-fuckin-eight. I find it very hard to believe that there is some uncontacted tribe. Surely they've seen airplanes . . . . that must have got them curious.

Ventrue

Shouldn't they be given the choice of joining modern society, rather than being kept in the dark to 'preserve their ways?'

Armitage

Ventrue said:
Shouldn't they be given the choice of joining modern society, rather than being kept in the dark to 'preserve their ways?'

It looks like they tried to shoot down whatever was taking those pictures. I think they've made their choice!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ventrue said:
To introduce them to society is basically making their slow integration inevitable. Ask the Kaipo Indians, who tried to preserve their old ways, but time, politics, money and generational transitions mean they are losing the battle against modernity. How long before fluctuating needs force them to trade with the outside? How long until the trade of raw goods gives way to Nikes and satellite dishes?

If they want to wander into a city and join us, I'm sure we'd let them... Someone will force contact with them eventually anyway...

Wow, I wonder what these people think of things like the ISS moving across the sky (basically a moving star).

I also wonder if the ISS even makes it to that part of earth, :lol

BocoDragon said:
To introduce them to society is basically making their slow integration inevitable. Ask the Kaipo Indians, who tried to preserve their old ways, but time, politics, money and generational transitions mean they are losing the battle against modernity. How long before fluctuating needs force them to trade with the outside? How long the trade of raw goods gives way to Nikes and satellite dishes?

If they want to wander into a city and join us, I'm sure we'd let them... but it does make sense to leave them be, since they're so rare... like a nature preserve.

It seems almost inhumane to not give them the option of a "better life."

Whatever that means.

hirokazu

speculawyer said:
I'm skeptical. It is two-thousand-fuckin-eight. I find it very hard to believe that there is some uncontacted tribe. Surely they've seen airplanes . . . . that must have got them curious.
Uncontacted as in, they have not come into communications contact with the rest of civilization. They do appear to be looking up at the aircraft the image was taken from and going "WTF?"

It's pretty amazing that they're completely oblivious to outside life, but from the article, the Brazilian governments seems to want to preserve their way of life and leave it that way. In one sense, that's pretty cool to me, but in another, the conservation efforts and whatever make them sound like they're being regarded as a different animal species.

...What's with one guy being a completely different colour to the other two? You'd think for such a small tribe there'd be no differences at all.

Wii said:
That's amazing!

Imagine what else is still hidden in the world.
Bigfoot, Nessie, Mothman, Chupacabras, Mokele Membe!
IT'S ALL GAME!
I don't think this has anything to do with them, nor does it increase the likelihood of their existence :p

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
BocoDragon said:
To introduce them to society is basically making their slow integration inevitable. Ask the Kaipo Indians, who tried to preserve their old ways, but time, politics, money and generational transitions mean they are losing the battle against modernity. How long before fluctuating needs force them to trade with the outside? How long until the trade of raw goods gives way to Nikes and satellite dishes?

If they want to wander into a city and join us, I'm sure we'd let them... Someone will force contact with them eventually anyway...

At the same time.... tribal life is kind of shitty. You live breath and eat your territory, if something happens that messes this up, you're in trouble. They have no medication - other than their own remedies, and they are subject to all sorts of things that we have grown accustomed to not even consider an issue (fresh water retrieval). In general, I can't speak for this tribe because like... I don't know it, but considering that me living in the 'first world' doesn't stem my desire for 'improvements' and technological breakthroughs of epic proportions, why wouldn't they want the same?

For all we know, they'd be like "You're telling me, you've been watching us running around acting a fool for the last 3 years, while you are sitting up in your nice couches in front of your TV's and I'm running away from some Jaguar like some sort of chump?".

BocoDragon

RiskyChris said:
It seems almost inhumane to not give them the option of a "better life."

Whatever that means.
You still think modern society is better? I really don't. Hunter-gatherers are probably more content than an average modern person.

this is awesome, good for them

once we run out of oil and the civilized world collapses on itself, they will be our new leaders

Armitage

BocoDragon said:
You still think modern society is better? I really don't. Hunter-gatherers are probably more content than an average modern person.

Lots of people say this but I doubt it's true. If you had to go live in the bush would you become happier?

BocoDragon said:

I'll put up with the bullshit to have some fucking video games. :lol

It's also nice to know that, you know, I'm not going to die from a snake bite or something really unfortunate. Modern life, while stressful, ain't that bad.

hirokazu

Kinitari said:
At the same time.... tribal life is kind of shitty. You live breath and eat your territory, if something happens that messes this up, you're in trouble. They have no medication - other than their own remedies, and they are subject to all sorts of things that we have grown accustomed to not even consider an issue (fresh water retrieval). In general, I can't speak for this tribe because like... I don't know it, but considering that me living in the 'first world' doesn't stem my desire for 'improvements' and technological breakthroughs of epic proportions, why wouldn't they want the same?

For all we know, they'd be like "You're telling me, you've been watching us running around acting a fool for the last 3 years, while you are sitting up in your nice couches in front of your TV's and I'm running away from some Jaguar like some sort of chump?".
BocoDragon said:
This.
Having no knowledge of any other way of life, they're probably very content with their lives, facing their own trials and tribulations. Apart from benefits from modern technology such as medicines, I think it's good that they're leaving them alone and making sure nobody disturbs them.

RiskyChris said:
I'll put up with the bullshit to have some fucking video games. :lol

It's also nice to know that, you know, I'm not going to die from a snake bite or something really unfortunate. Modern life, while stressful, ain't that bad.
People in modern society still die from snake bites. Do you really think these people are so stupid that a high number of them get fatal, despite living in the jungle for so long?

NotWii

Banned
hirokazu said:
I don't think this has anything to do with them, nor does it increase the likelihood of their existence :p
No, but it shows that things that are not sought after, stay hidden.

Kinitari said:

:lol

Oh man, that's great.

If some human from 4000 years (equivalent tech jump, so in real terms probably like 100 or 200 years) wanted to take me into their society, provided there's no huge difference in civil liberties I'd bite on that shit like the jaws of an angry god.
hirokazu said:
People in modern society still die from snake bites. Do you really think these people are so stupid that a high number of them get fatal, despite living in the jungle for so long?

You think their life expectancy is anywhere near the 1st world's?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
That's pretty bizarre. How the hell did all those explorers in the old days (and ever since then) not stumble in there and shatter that community's heart and soul sooner or later?

hirokazu said:
Uncontacted as in, they have not come into communications contact with the rest of civilization.
I think that they would have gone looking for these airplanes and eventually contacted the rest of humanity. Perhaps they contacted and decided to stay away . . . but never contacted? I guess it is possible, but I'm skeptical.

hirokazu

RiskyChris said:
You think their life expectancy is anywhere near the 1st world's?
Err, did I say it was? No, I specifically mentioned that modern medicine would be a benefit to them. I don't think that's reason enough to go in there mess with their way of life though.

Ventrue

BocoDragon said:

The 'noble savage.' Truth is, nobody would willingly accept half the life expectancy of what they could very easily achieve.

BocoDragon

Let me put it this way: I don't think one becomes content by having all their needs magically met. Self sufficiency is a quality of contentment.

A daily struggle to serve your own direct ends or that of your local tribe, rather than those of wealth-holders? Sounds like a happy life.

Ventrue

BocoDragon said:

Truth is, nobody would willingly accept half the life expectancy of what they could very easily achieve.

Wii said:
But they're used to it.

hirokazu said:
Err, did I say it was? No, I specifically mentioned that modern medicine would be a benefit to them. I don't think that's reason enough to go in there mess with their way of life though.

I don't think we should try and stop the violence in Afghanistan. They've been at war for 30 years, it's their way of life. They're used to the land mines and rocket attacks. It would be wrong to mess with that.

BocoDragon said:
Let me put it this way: I don't think one becomes content by having all their needs magically met. Self sufficiency is a quality of contentment.

How about not dying and not having diseases. Aren't those a good measure of contentment?

The romantic image of the noble savage is bullshit.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
hey guys...

what if WE'RE like, an uncontacted 'tribe' of the universe? Aliens and shit are watching us all the time, laughing and shit while they get their 3 15 inch long dicks sucked by 88 virgins while chilling out,'laxing, and acting all cool, shooting some b ball outside of the school?

hirokazu

Ventrue said:
I don't think we should try and stop the violence in Afghanistan. They've been at war for 30 years, it's their way of life. They're used to the land mines and rocket attacks. It would be wrong to mess with that.

How about not dying and not having diseases. Aren't those a good measure of contentment?

The romantic image of the noble savage is bullshit.
Um, WTF? Don't tell me you want to bring Afghanistan into it? Afghanistan isn't a lost tribe dude. Aren't you forgetting that America has had a part in that following the Soviet invasion? Mess with that my ass. Just like the WAR ON TERROR in Iraq, am I right? :p

These guys, meanwhile, are doing their own thing without troubling anyone, and the article itself states they want to keep it that way despite it being made difficult by illegal logging.

Dying? Diseases? Sounds like something we still have in modern life. I'm not saying their lifestyle is better or more contentious than ours. I would not trade my lifestyle for theirs. But sorry, contentment doesn't come down to just a measure of lifespan.

NotWii

Banned
hirokazu said:
Um, WTF? Don't tell me you want to bring Afghanistan into it? Afghanistan isn't a lost tribe dude. Aren't you forgetting that America has had a part in that following the Soviet invasion?

These guys, meanwhile, are doing their own thing without troubling anyone, and the article itself states they want to keep it that way despite it being made difficult by illegal logging.

Dying? Diseases? Sounds like something we still have in modern life. I'm not saying their lifestyle is better or more contentious than ours. I would not trade my lifestyle for theirs. But sorry, contentment doesn't come down to just a measure of lifespan.
QFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom