• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Standing Rock: 250 tribes protest pipeline. Violence and arrests. Bail/counsel denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Damn, that's crazy. Not surprised this has very little mainstream traction, Canada has the same damn problem when it comes to Indigenous issues.

Somehow not at all surprised Stein decided to interject however briefly as per her vanity campaign's wild groping---sure it'll garner a tad of sideshow attention, but her reasons and self-affirmed delusions of grandeur to sap just a bit more money and shallow accolades of folks kind of cuts to the core here with this being a serious issue with immense consequences in the long term. I mean, you didn't see Moore visibly patting himself on the back with the likes of this when the worst of Flint broke---you saw him disrupt his big premiere tour, get himself wrecked with illness from all the running around and genuinely profound disturbance, and generally wrangle as much money and support on all levels as he could with him not having really let off the pedal since despite struggling to get any real traction.

That sort of craven, opportunist, and aloof attitude from Stein to the deadly festering Native and otherwise concerns all these years is a large part of what has led to this damned disaster in the first place. It could be worse if Johnson dragged his equally tone deaf ass over there to defend the private security force no matter what and extol the industry in a muddled spectacle I guess.

Media

September 9th, save the date. Hopefully the judge stops the project, no matter how fleeting the moment can be..

Honestly?

I except the judge to give the go ahead. I don't have a whole lot of faith in our justice system as of late.

Please, please, please surprise me.

Honestly?

I except the judge to give the go ahead. I don't have a whole lot of faith in our justice system as of late.

Please, please, please surprise me.

I hope for at least a temporary stay, anything to allow a groundswell in public interest. It's amazing how people treat water so frivolously, while killing each other over diamonds...

DireStr8s

I am seeing and hearing a lot of people talking about the dogs in the same manner she did, and it warms my heart. I was even told (unverified rumor) that when the dog attacks were happening the people were more concerned about not hurting the dogs than being hurt themselves. Like, they pulled back the horses because they were afraid that the dogs would get kicked.

I'm sorry; I love dogs and everything but. . .

They lashed out at human beings

They should be put down

ND Governor Activates National Guard Ahead of Friday's Pipeline Ruling

In North Dakota, Governor Jack Dalrymple has activated the National Guard ahead of Friday’s ruling on the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s lawsuit against the U.S. government over the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline. On Friday, U.S. District Judge James Boasberg will rule on an injunction in the lawsuit, which is challenging the Army Corps of Engineers’ decision to issue permits for the pipeline, arguing it violates the National Historic Preservation Act.
On Thursday, Governor Jack Dalrymple said the National Guard will be deployed Friday to a checkpoint along Highway 1806. As many as 100 additional Guardsmen from the 191st Military Police Company will be on standby and could be deployed at any moment.

Media

He knows exactly what the ruling will be.

Seems like they are expecting some upset people, so yeah, I imagine they already know what it's going to be.

I also imagine the folks on site are going to be pissed as hell, rightly so, and more people are going to get injured.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not to be that guy reaching for (an indirect)Godwin's law but its kinda crazy how shitty we STILL treat Native Americans in this country.

Or maybe not actively treat like shit but just sort of don't care and push out the way when they become a burden. I just imagine what it would be like if Germany basically took our current attitude post WWII. Just sorta didn't give a shit about Jews up until the present and still sort of let shit happen to them. Named schools after Nazi's like we do with people responsible for genocide.

But when you think about it, when it comes to America's two major original sins, we kinda are doing just that.

And hey, I'm just as guilty. I'm just now catching up with a story that if I were a better person I should of been aware and caring about before tonight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit at that before and after pic

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. Mud? Pollution? Some roads for the employees of the fracking to drive down to the sites.

zer0blivion said:
ND Governor Activates National Guard Ahead of Friday's Pipeline Ruling

Expected. Nations do not care about the original people of those lands. Wither it's Native Americans, Aboriginals in Australia... the basic line of "fuck you, we won. Deal with it." :/

Media

Nice NYTimes piece putting into perspective some of the history:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/u...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Beautiful article.

To Ms. Bailey, 76, and thousands of other tribal members who lived along the river’s length, the project was a cultural catastrophe, residents and historians say. It displaced families, uprooted cemeteries and swamped lands where tribes grazed cattle, drove wagons and gathered wild grapes and medicinal tea.

This happened to the tribes in my area too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celilo_Village,_Oregon

The Celilo people did not sign the treaty that was forced on the other tribes. So now they live in a tiny area of land smushed between an interstate, railroad tracks, and a cliff. Since they didn't sign, they aren't officially recognized as a tribe, and thus, are basically living there illegally. The other tribes in the area help them out, and they have a longhouse now, but it's fucking sad as hell.

Members watching as the place they lived for as long as anyone could remember was destroyed.

history.indians2.jpg

Media

Double post, but my home state is going to bat.

NM Delegation Calls Escalation of Violence Against Native Protestors In ND ‘Deplorable’

A jointly-issued press release explained that the New Mexico lawmakers took action to respond to growing concerns within tribal nations throughout New Mexico as expressed by the Navajo and Pueblo leadership about the abusive treatment of Natives gathered near Standing Rock and their First Amendment rights. "We oppose and condemn unjustified violence against protestors in the strongest possible terms,” the lawmakers wrote. “The aggressive actions undertaken by private contractor security personnel in North Dakota including the use of pepper spray and dogs are alarming, and it is important that the concerns regarding this project are given due consideration and steps are taken to ensure the safety of everyone on site."

That's Zia proud.

Explanation if you are wondering: I believe the New Mexico state flag is only one to use native iconography, in the Zia symbol

How screwed up is it when you know the Guard being called up is a sign of things likely to get a whole lot worse versus a force for actual protection and aid? Damn.

Guessing the Governor has his bread duly buttered by industry interests jockeying at the levers for the state...

I would refuse to deploy if I was in the ND National Guard. The history of the guard being deployed to kill union workers on strike coupled with our history of horrible treatment of Native americans would set off all sorts of alarm bells for me.

In prayer this morning the pipes of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Crow Dog and current tribal leaders will be smoked in light of the recent decision of the governor to bring in the National Guard.

DpadD

Banned
This has me unsettled more so than any other news story this year.

Why the hell won't the the media report on this???

To activate the National Guard don't you need to declare a state of emergency? Did the governor really declare a state of emergency over a pipeline being held up? Wtf

Gattsu25

Banned
To activate the National Guard don't you need to declare a state of emergency? Did the governor really declare a state of emergency over a pipeline being held up? Wtf
Tell me about it. And you know he wouldn't activate the National Guard if he expected the pipeline to not go through.

Pepboy

Really wish I was close enough to protest with them

Agreed. This is one protest actually worth it. This is actually first time I saw this thread -- I cant believe this thread has 4 pages over 3 days while debating whether an iphone joke is transphobic has over twice as much in a day...

Bass260

How can the media not report on this? Any other group and this would have mass attention. Unbeleivable.

Edit: Nice to see NYtimes put up a piece.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This shit just makes me more and more upset the longer I think about it.

I really hope the media jumps all over this if they end up with armed US Army soldiers marching down unarmed Native Americans and forcing them from their lands. That imagery would be incredibly powerful, I think (or hope.)

Like, wtf. It's 2016. I thought we were beyond this.

Wow my blood is boiling.
What can I do from 2000 miles away and little money? Serious question. This is so upsetting.

I know the American Indian Center here in Chicago is accepting donations to send to the protestors and organizing a protest downtown later this afternoon as a show of solidarity. If there are local Native American organizations in your area, I would contact them and see how you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom