• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop using mental illnesses as adjectives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

As a sufferer, I actually rather like the fact that these terms have worked their way into common speech. Most people seem to get that "I suffer from depression" or "I have OCD" is very different from "I'm pretty fastidious - a bit OCD."

The less stigmatised and less mysterious mental illness is, the better for everyone; especially sufferers. I wish people were able to toss schizophrenia around in normal speech, because most people are still irrationally terrified of schizophrenics.

Yes, it can diminish the experience of suffering from mental illness, but I'd rather normalise these conditions too much than have people completely mystified by them.

I was literally hospitalized last week because I had a panic attack at work that mimicked a stroke. It stemmed from OCD symptoms. So yeah, I get a little salty about this. Not angry to the point of rage, but yeah... a liiiitttle salty.

As a sufferer, I actually rather like the fact that these terms have worked their way into common speech. Most people seem to get that "I suffer from depression" or "I have OCD" is very different from "I'm pretty fastidious - a bit OCD."

The less stigmatised and less mysterious mental illness is, the better for everyone; especially sufferers. I wish people were able to toss schizophrenia around in normal speech, because most people are still irrationally terrified of schizophrenics.

Yes, it can diminish the experience of suffering from mental illness, but I'd rather normalise these conditions too much than have people completely mystified by them.

The problem I have with your line of thinking is that it's not 'normalizing it'. It's trivializing it. I was upfront at my job about my conditions -- when I tell people I have OCD, what they hear is not "I have a crippling mental disorder that can on occasion render me completely useless". So my coworkers will all talk about my condition as if I just "like things to be clean" or "don't want to touch things in the bathroom". They constantly make comments about "if you need to wear gloves for this you can" -- no matter how much I explain what my problems actually are. Because people have co-opted the word "OCD" into vocabulary so cleanly and without concern that it's been "normalized" to such a point that that's all it can be. People hear OCD and apply their own meaning to it because to them that's what it is, the "normalized" version that people use daily to refer to things like wanting their books straight on the shelf. When I had the panic attack at work people kept trying to give me orange juice and food and had me "sit down" and stuff of that nature, because they can't comprehend that the episode stemmed from OCD, because that's just like, wanting stuff clean and straightened and after all "I have OCD too!"

Yes, you're taking away stigma, but you're also removing significance. It's not the same for everybody and it shouldn't be treated like it is.

Aske

The problem I have with your line of thinking is that it's not 'normalizing it'. It's trivializing it. I was upfront at my job about my conditions -- when I tell people I have OCD, what they hear is not "I have a crippling mental disorder that can on occasion render me completely useless". So my coworkers will all talk about my condition as if I just "like things to be clean" or "don't want to touch things in the bathroom". They constantly make comments about "if you need to wear gloves for this you can" -- no matter how much I explain what my problems actually are. Because people have co-opted the word "OCD" into vocabulary so cleanly and without concern that it's been "normalized" to such a point that that's all it can be. People hear OCD and apply their own meaning to it because to them that's what it is, the "normalized" version that people use daily to refer to things like wanting their books straight on the shelf. When I had the panic attack at work people kept trying to give me orange juice and food and had me "sit down" and stuff of that nature, because they can't comprehend that the episode stemmed from OCD, because that's just like, wanting stuff clean and straightened and after all "I have OCD too!"

Yes, you're taking away stigma, but you're also removing significance. It's not the same for everybody and it shouldn't be treated like it is.

You're absolutely right, and I completely understand that side of the argument. I feel it helps more than it hurts, but that's just my opinion: I'd much rather have my experience diminished than be othered due to irrational phobias. I wonder if any data exists to suggest which is actually more beneficial.

Maybe that's it - now that the terms are out there and destigmatized, the next step is to teach people to be aware of their true significance. Perhaps the trivialisation is a necessary stepping stone on the way to raising awareness of the reality of mental health issues. Broad brush-stroke definitions before specific ones.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Yeah, I used to have actual legitimate OCD, and it was one of the most taxing periods of my life. I felt like neither myself or anyone around me was going to be okay unless I did a very specific set of actions on a daily basis. I would spend almost an hour thinking or focusing on the same thing. I would obsess about my personal health by refusing to eat anything that was remotely deemed unhealthy and exercising to the point where I became anorexic as well. With that said, I don't get too offended whenever someone says that they are "so OCD." I usually just roll my eyes a bit and move on. I think most of it stems from a lack of knowledge from the general public on what OCD actually is.

Yeah, I used to have actual legitimate OCD, and it was one of the most taxing periods of my life. I felt like neither myself or anyone around me was going to be okay unless I did a very specific set of actions on a daily basis. I would spend almost an hour thinking or focusing on the same thing. I would obsess about my personal health by refusing to eat anything that was remotely deemed unhealthy and exercising to the point where I became anorexic as well. With that said, I don't get too offended whenever someone says that they are "so OCD." I usually just roll my eyes a bit and move on. I think most of it stems from a lack of knowledge from the general public on what OCD actually is.

Do you mind sharing how you recovered from OCD?

Aske

Do you mind sharing how you recovered from OCD?

For me, the right meds made 90% of the symptoms totally disappear. It was incredible. It's one of the reasons I'm a huge advocate for trying medication. It won't work for everyone, and individual results vary wildly, but for me, it's been life-changing in the best way.

For me, the right meds made 90% of the symptoms totally disappear. It was incredible. It's one of the reasons I'm a huge advocate for trying medication. It won't work for everyone, and individual results vary wildly, but for me, it's been life-changing in the best way.

I've used medication in the past for many years. But it has lost its potency for me. It also seemed more like a bandaid solution instead of getting to the root of the problem.

Glad it has worked well for you though.

Aske

I've used medication in the past for many years. But it has lost its potency for me. It also seemed more like a bandaid solution instead of getting to the root of the problem.

Glad it has worked well for you though.

It's such a shame they're so unreliable. Some people try everything but nothing clicks. I went through a lot of different meds before hitting on the right ones, but honestly, for me it was like someone hit an off-switch. Been working well for the last four years. Irritatingly, my OCD was comorbid with some other stuff that's been harder to treat, but never having to deal with intrusive thoughts, anxiety, etc after so many years felt miraculous. I sincerely hope you (and other sufferers) successfully find a treatment that works for you with the same degree of efficacy.

It's such a shame they're so unreliable. Some people try everything but nothing clicks. I went through a lot of different meds before hitting on the right ones, but honestly, for me it was like someone hit an off-switch. Been working well for the last four years. Irritatingly, my OCD was comorbid with some other stuff that's been harder to treat, but never having to deal with intrusive thoughts, anxiety, etc after so many years felt miraculous. I sincerely hope you (and other sufferers) successfully find a treatment that works for you with the same degree of efficacy.

Thank you. That really means a lot.

karasu

Right on the money. More annoying to me is when people blame any deviant behavior on a completely imagined mental illness. College freshman out here diagnosing people they only see on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom