• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter Controllers and Controller Adapters

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
http://www.streetfightercontroller.com/

These cotnrollers are super cool and very tempting, but at $25 a piece and unknown quality (anyone have impressions?) I'd rather get an adapter to use my Saturn controllers. Does anyone know where to get Saturn-to-DC and Saturn-to--PS2 controller adapters? I can't find any but I saw someone mention getting them for like $5.

Man those are still tempting though, as a crazy Capcom/Street Figther nut the novelty is just so high, at least to get one of them. I think I might wait though, two of those silhouettes look like Cammy and Adon.

Nobody gets to Evo with a pad.

If that's your aim.

Oh wait, this last one was all consoles wasn't it... well, still wouldn't have served for SF3rd.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hell, man, I say take the plunge! That Akuma one is hot. They look to be based of the Saturn controller though the directional pad, at least in the shots, doesn't seem to be as "loose".

Dice

Nobody gets to Evo with a pad.

If that's your aim.
My aim is to play my DC and PS2 fighters (primarily Third Strike) with my Saturn controller. These controllers have the general shape of the Saturn controller, but probably don't have the perfect D-Pad, which is what I am after.

Those pads are excellent, they released the same one on the DC a few years back and were the only pads to use for Capcom fighting games. However they're a little fragile and will slowly become unusable overtime. Depending on your playing style, you'll have between 20 and 40 hours of game time before you won't be able to crouch block :(

Because of this, I own 6 of them for the DC and am slowing making my way though them.

Anyway, if you ever want to use a pad for SF3, don't. It makes it twice as difficult to parry, always use a stick.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Those pads are excellent, they released the same one on the DC a few years back and were the only pads to use for Capcom fighting games.

I think you're confusing them with this...

Pads-ASCIIPadFT.jpg

Dice

I have never used arcade sticks. I tried a crappy one on PS1 once, and I played on busted arcade cabinets a couple times. I'd have to learn how to play fighting games all over again.

...but if I did... what would be the best arcade stick for PS2?

Well the main reason why I wasn't planning on getting the game for the PS2 was because of the controller. I use the SF Ascii pad for the DC. But this is basically the same exact thing, so....

EDIT: the same one that is pictured above.

DaCocoBrova

^^

No it isn't...

Look closer. D-pad is much shallower, buttons aren't concaved. Shoulder buttons...

Stop spreading mis-information.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DaCocoBrova said:
I think you're confusing them with this...

Pads-ASCIIPadFT.jpg

I had assumed that ASCII was making these new pads as well, since they made the recent Capcom and Snk pads for PS2 in japan.

teiresias

The Chun-Li one will be mine!!! I haven't played SF since SF2: Turbo came out for the SNES though, so I suck at it!!! Should be fun to try the game again and learn some stuff.

DaCocoBrova said:
^^

No it isn't...

Look closer. D-pad is much shallower, buttons aren't concaved. Shoulder buttons...

Stop spreading mis-information.

And I too was under the impression that this new pad was based on the Ascii ones from Japan. They certainly look very similar.

EDIT: Jesus, calm down.... it was an honest mistake, one which many here are making.

levious said:
I had assumed that ASCII was making these new pads as well, since they made the recent Capcom and Snk pads for PS2 in japan.

Ah, looked for these controllers on LikSang, they're made by Nuby Tech (who the hell are they?)

Thanks for the heads up DaCocoBrova :)

marvelharvey said:
Ah, looked for these controllers on LikSang, they're made by Nuby Tech (who the hell are they?)

Thanks for the heads up DaCocoBrova :)

I had a SC2 universal stick made by Nuby for a few weeks. Worst stick I ever used. Don't confuse this with the Hori SC2 sticks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ah, guess I'll just have to wait for xbox version and get some xbox controller converters... sucks that I've never seen anything-to- PS2 convertors.

DaCocoBrova

And I too was under the impression that this new pad was based on the Ascii ones from Japan. They certainly look very similar.

EDIT: Jesus, calm down.... it was an honest mistake, one which many here are making.

I'm very calm. No need to call on the sandle wearing bearded guy.

Tsubaki

marvelharvey said:
Those pads are excellent, they released the same one on the DC a few years back and were the only pads to use for Capcom fighting games. However they're a little fragile and will slowly become unusable overtime. Depending on your playing style, you'll have between 20 and 40 hours of game time before you won't be able to crouch block :(

If you mean those popular ASCII pads, for the record, the SS controller is my favorite controller ever... but I hated the ASCII pads with a passion. They ended up way too bulky for me to ever use and even pulling off HCF motions were difficult for me. There's no substitute for a SS pad aside from a SS pad.

Dice

Anyway, if you ever want to use a pad for SF3, don't. It makes it twice as difficult to parry, always use a stick.
In what way? I parry stuff all the time, though I haven't practiced against the supers so I am usually bad at multiple hit things. I'll parry the first strike but I haven't even tried to learn the timing on the consecutive hits. Just yesterday I got Chun-Li's super dropped on me and I parried the first strike insinctively but didn't know what to do after that. One time I parried her fireball special though, I couldn't believe what I had done. So does a stick make it easier in general or are the consecutive parries easier on a stick?

Ah well, I've been wanting a stick anyway for VF4, as I can tell my game has really been held back on that from using a pad.

DaCocoBrova

If you mean those popular ASCII pads, for the record, the SS controller is my favorite controller ever... but I hated the ASCII pads with a passion.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto

manji

bob_arctor said:
ps2-hori-fighting-stick2.jpg

Less pricey than that 1st one, looks solid enough. Also at Lik-Sang.

If this is the Hori stick w/ rumble & analog capability, I'll definitely vouche for it as well.
I've got the red one (no rumble, no analog, but programmable buttons), and it got the
big "thumbs up" when I let a bunch of Tekken, SF, and GG tourney players mess with it...it's a quality stick.

I was actually thinkin' about hunting the black one down, to go along w/ my red one. They're nice & sturdy, the buttons work fine, and the stick's nice. One of the best I've used (including MAS, DC, and a bunch of others).

-m

Dice

Good, then their SCII stick should be quality as well. I don't like a bunch of buttons either, 6 is good. I think I'll go for the SCII stick, a MAS might be better but it's too much of an investment for me when I'm not even used to playing with aracde sticks.

ps2_sc2_stick.jpg

Oh yeah!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dice said:
Good, then their SCII stick should be quality as well. I don't like a bunch of buttons either, 6 is good. I think I'll go for the SCII stick, a MAS might be better but it's too much of an investment for me when I'm not even used to playing with aracde sticks.

ps2_sc2_stick.jpg

Oh yeah!

This stick is fine. It's of the "clicky" variety, which I personally love, but others hate. The only real issue I have with it is durability. It's rather lightweight so I don't know if it can take a prolonged pounding. Other than that, I like it a lot. Another suggestion would be to track down a DC to PS2 convertor and go w/ the classic Agetec (if you already own one, they're tough to get now AFAIK).

DarkGiygas said:
This is the stick with official Sanwa parts right? I need one of those.

A source that I trust once told me that Hori doesn't use actual Sanwa parts, but even if this is true, the buttons on both Hori's posted are really damn close. Maybe even no real difference.
I wouldn't say the same about the actual stick though, but maybe they changed.

Dice

bob_arctor said:
This stick is fine. It's of the "clicky" variety, which I personally love, but others hate.
"Clicky" meaning an emphasized 8-directions ala N64 joystick? I used a stick like that once and it drove me nuts.

Dice said:
"Clicky" meaning an emphasized 8-directions ala N64 joystick? I used a stick like that once and it drove me nuts.

Clicky as in you can easily hear the microswitches be depressed when you move it around. All arcade sticks besides opticals, and buttons, use microswitches and thus are clicky.

What he means here is that, in true Japanese style, this stick is really clicky. The microswitches are probably a bit firmer than most which makes the clicks quite audible. It shouldn't drive you nuts.

Takuan

I have the PS2 SC2 arcade stick and it isn't bad, but there's a plastic-y, cheap feel to it that I don't like too much. That real arcade stick looks pretty nifty, 'cept I'm not a huge fan of ball sticks. If I lived in the US, I'd just get a MAS with convex buttons.

Edit:
the buttons on both Hori's posted are really damn close.

They look similar, but being a bit of a fusspot over arcade sticks myself, they are NOT really damn close. Don't get me wrong, they're as responsive as ever, but they don't have that arcade feel. You should understand what I mean. :)

Edit 2: Hey Monk, could you direct me to some of the more popular geniuine arcade stick makers out there other than MAS? Preferably those who do good design work.

Having never been to an arcade in Japan, I don't really know what you mean. Hori is Japanese style and is going to feel different than Happ anyway. My information on this comes from one of the most prominent stick builders at SRK, who told me that Agetec used Sanwa buttons in the DC stick (Green Goblin) and that Hori used clones.

I've not had the opportunity to play a goblin and a Hori side-by-side, but I recall them feeling very similar (I own a couple goblins). Unless the stamp of Sanwa just has to be on those things, I think we can agree than in any case, they feel and perform good enough not to matter.

Interpreting a geniune makers is hard, because MAS themselves is doing nothing more than putting Happ parts into a box with their own PCB. So does Red Octane, now.

I feel it's best to drop the "genuine" pretense since the arcades themselves are all drying up over here and it's only the arcade fanatics and cabinet builders that are keeping the spirit alive.

I think the best thing that I can do is point you to the shoryuken forums, if you didn't already know, and check out the builders with the sticky threads.

For good design, check out Tha Darkside's work. Note the top-mounted J-sticks.

Tha_Darkside_RO_Mod_1.jpg
Tha_Darkside_RO_Mod_3.jpg

Dice

*bump*

Seriously, about the "clicky" thing, anyone know? $50 is a lot for me, lol.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the silhouettes look like the ssf2 portraits of guile, vega, ryu, sagat, cammy, and bison. of course there's already a ryu controller...maybe they're doing an evil ryu version as well.

meh. just get yourself a couple sticks. i always liked playing 2d fighters on a saturn pad, but those skills wouldn't translate to the arcades.

Dice said:
*bump*

Seriously, about the "clicky" thing, anyone know? $50 is a lot for me, lol.

I already answered you several posts up.

If 50 bucks is your limit, than try and find a used Hori or a *shudder* Pelican Real Arcade.

Dice

I've been looking around, Red Octane's Impact V-Series looks pretty good but they don't have any for sale right now.

I already answered you several posts up.
Oh... eh heh heh....

If 50 is all you can spend...... save it.
No way man, I'm getting a stick with SFAC. I might be able to spend more, but I was just saying I didn't want to spend $50 and get a stick with 8-direction grooves. BUT, since it doesn't, the SCII stick sounds like my best bet right now.

Ferrio

Banned
I could not use a stick worth a fuck when I bought my MAS. If I would of bought that piece of crap SCII stick I'd probably still wouldn't be able to use them.

Of course I *really* hate japanese style sticks.

jiji said:
you won't want to find yourself buying another stick for every single game[/url].

Some relish the opportunity.

Dice: Provided that the SC2 stick you are reffering too is the Hori, you shouldn't be afraid to buy it. Ferrio is correct in saying that it is different than the MAS, but at this point do you really appreciate the difference between US and Japanese feel anyway?

It's an accurate, six button, entry level stick in your price range. Nothing too be lost if you don't already have a bias. That Happ RO is too expensive for what they give you.

In a few months, maybe you'll get another, and start your own path.

Top Bottom