• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition adds E. Honda, Lucia, and Poison on August 4

"Let's set the record straight: in North America, Poison is officially post-op transgender. But in Japan, she simply tucks her business away to look female."

Either is cool as long as she thinks Dreamcast has great textures for a 1998 machine.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow 5.99 costumes and stages! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Labolas

For the most part, Poison looks like she plays the same as her SF4 iteration. Even her CA looks almost the same as her Ultra in SF4. I think I would rather have Roxy show in this instead. I mean I know she's palette swap for Poison but so was Abagail to Hugo even though I hate everything about Abagail, he is at least different enough from Hugo. I think it would have been more interesting to see what they would do to Roxy in SF5.

I'd have much preferred Roxy too. She is much less tainted by controversy.
Only a few hours until I can try out this new police chick. Only a few weeks and I can try out some quality mods for her.

Elcid

Banned
For the most part, Poison looks like she plays the same as her SF4 iteration. Even her CA looks almost the same as her Ultra in SF4. I think I would rather have Roxy show in this instead. I mean I know she's palette swap for Poison but so was Abagail to Hugo even though I hate everything about Abagail, he is at least different enough from Hugo. I think it would have been more interesting to see what they would do to Roxy in SF5.

Abigail wasn't a palette swap for Hugo. Replay FF. Also, I'm sure Roxy's colors will be available but Poison already has SF lore established so why waste time on Roxy?
I'd have much preferred Roxy too. She is much less tainted by controversy.
Only a few hours until I can try out this new police chick. Only a few weeks and I can try out some quality mods for her.
Can you PM me the rest of your avatar? I want to know more about that character...

Labolas

Abigail wasn't a palette swap for Hugo. Replay FF. Also, I'm sure Roxy's colors will be available but Poison already has SF lore established so why waste time on Roxy?

Can you PM me the rest of your avatar? I want to know more about that character...

Wut? Yeah he was. The only difference was he would turn red. The sprite is the same type of model as Hugo. Why waste time on Roxy you ask? Why waste time on Abigail? Why waste time on Kolin?

yurinka

Wut? Yeah he was. The only difference was he would turn red. The sprite is the same type of model as Hugo.
Hugo didn't appear on Final Fight.

He's similar to Andore or Andore Jr., and the game featured other characters named F. Andore, G. Andore and U. Andore but he isn't the same character. He is supposed to be part of their family. All the Andore guys were the same pallete swap versions of the same sprite. Abigail was slightly visually different to them. He wasn't only a pallete swap, and had extra animations and unlike them he was a final boss.

Last edited:
3D Capcom does. 2D Capcom has great looking women. SSF2T Chun Li poftrait is still the goat.
My bad, that is what I meant. 2D Capcom were indeed gods.
slKNBro.jpg

Last edited:

Kamfair55

Banned
They better hope the niche fgc audience buys these because Capcom made it clear the average gamer isn't the target audience we're just an afterthought

Labolas

Hugo didn't appear on Final Fight.

He's similar to Andore or Andore Jr., and the game featured other characters named F. Andore, G. Andore and U. Andore but he isn't the same character. He is supposed to be part of their family. All the Andore guys were the same pallete swap versions of the same sprite. Abigail was slightly visually different to them. He wasn't only a pallete swap, and had extra animations and unlike them he was a final boss.

You know what? Fair enough I'm wrong then. Honestly I'm not a FF guy. So I only have surface knowledge at best of those games.
God, Morrigan was the fighting waifu for me back then.

Nymphae

Banned
Fuck it, went ahead and bought it, feeling hyped for new content after Evo.

I'd be willing to bet that they announce some new characters end of the year, and then that takes us into next CPT, where at Evo or sometime thereafter they announce the Super Version. I think that's when we'll see new Supers or V-Skills, if we ever do.

Barnabot

I'd be willing to bet that they announce some new characters end of the year, and then that takes us into next CPT, where at Evo or sometime thereafter they announce the Super Version. I think that's when we'll see new Supers or V-Skills, if we ever do.
So what' your impression about the 3 newcomers when you've played with them?

Nymphae

Banned
So what' your impression about the 3 newcomers when you've played with them?

I'm going through the story modes with each right now then I'll do some trials and shit, can't say too much right now, but quick first impressions I like how Poison and Honda look a lot. The story modes thingies are great fun and I wish they were longer.

In the last stage of Honda's story mode, you square off against Ryu in his underwear lol

kunonabi

Interest is way too low to wait for Evo to announce a Super edition. They need to announce it at Capcom Cup. The game was a damn afterthought this year.

Nymphae

Banned
Interest is way too low to wait for Evo to announce a Super edition. They need to announce it at Capcom Cup. The game was a damn afterthought this year.

We'll see, I think it makes sense given how Capcom seems to handle things, they don't seem to feel the same fire the community does. I can imagine them thinking that a couple more characters at the end of this year (so 5 for the year, plus Kage) will hold people off until the next big reveal next year. I don't think they will have 6 ready very soon after that, so at best I think late next year you get a 6 announcement trailer, and the big content reveal for next year could be a Super version of 5, with all characters, and mechanics updates. A Super version has to include something game changing like the new Supers or V-Skills to get all of the players who have currently bought most of the content to purchase the new version.

Nymphae

Banned
Barnabot Barnabot to add to my impressions a little bit, Honda feels like you'd expect. I find the combo timings for the hundred hand slaps difficult, I wish they had done the QCF option like they did with Chun's legs. I like his VSkill that slaps away projectiles. He looks awesome too, and the V-trigger character graphics are very subtle, not overdone like some (Zangief)

Lucia is pretty cool, her combo routes are complex and fun but not too difficult, and it seems like she has a lot of options. Poison feels like Poison I guess? I'm not too well versed in that character but she has cool options too. The whip moves are fun, the one reminds me of the Mist Finer from Johnny in Guilty Gear, you can hold a high mid or low whip attack from a stance and walk around with it, and release or cancel it. I'll probably mess around more with Honda and Poison, I like Lucia's play but the character design is so meh to me (and the stockings are ridiculous)

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Can't wait to get home and buy them all. The leaker who leaked these three said there was a bundle coming later this year with Oro.

Barnabot

Barnabot Barnabot to add to my impressions a little bit, Honda feels like you'd expect. I find the combo timings for the hundred hand slaps difficult, I wish they had done the QCF option like they did with Chun's legs. I like his VSkill that slaps away projectiles. He looks awesome too, and the V-trigger character graphics are very subtle, not overdone like some (Zangief)

Lucia is pretty cool, her combo routes are complex and fun but not too difficult, and it seems like she has a lot of options. Poison feels like Poison I guess? I'm not too well versed in that character but she has cool options too. The whip moves are fun, the one reminds me of the Mist Finer from Johnny in Guilty Gear, you can hold a high mid or low whip attack from a stance and walk around with it, and release or cancel it. I'll probably mess around more with Honda and Poison, I like Lucia's play but the character design is so meh to me (and the stockings are ridiculous)
Thanks, Nymphae. I'll be getting Poison and Lucia then. I was not so sure about getting them but since you told that they play just fine then I'm gonna spent some FMs this week.

Nymphae

Banned
Thanks, Nymphae. I'll be getting Poison and Lucia then. I was not so sure about getting them but since you told that they play just fine then I'm gonna spent some FMs this week.

No problem! R Reizo Ryuu also posted some impressions recently in the OT.

yurinka

I think they may prefer to announce and release SSFV or whatever they call it at the Capcom Cup finals, when announcing Season 5 and the first S5 character: because it's when a new season starts, so it's a good poing to introduce a big rebalance, new game mechanics, game modes or UI. And it's also a good point to do it there because it's outside the CPT season, so they avoid that a lot of changes may brainfart the proplayers.

There is still 2 season 4 characters to be released: I think they will be released in November, where we could also see that SSFV being teased/announced with a December launch.

I doubt they may release these 2 characters before November because Capcom share their employees between different games (around 100 people worked both in SFV, MHW, RE2, DMCV etc only counting the ones who appear in the games credits) and knowing they release MHW Iceborn this September in consoles and in PC during Winter I assume we're going to have these months from August to November without characters, but instead only getting new costumes and if lucky some new stage.

Basically the happened from Kage's release until now, period where they were busy releasing the SFV arcade version, DMCV, RE2 in addition to their (plus SFV and MHW) DLCs, fixes and updates while also helping in MHW Iceborn.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Poison has some thick hips and thighs for dude
Remember Poison is what you want her to be according to Capcom. According to her creator she's a legit she. To me because of that canon, she's a legit she. Why would you want her to be a dude? Especially looking like that, because she is ridiculously hot in this game.

Nymphae

Banned
Remember Poison is what you want her to be according to Capcom. According to her creator she's a legit she. To me because of that canon, she's a legit she. Why would you want her to be a dude? Especially looking like that, because she is ridiculously hot in this game.

I don't know why people care so fucking much about this shit. Poison was designed to look like a woman, and if a piece of dumb street fighter lore says it's a trans character, I couldn't really give two shits. The character designer was drawing a woman, period.

Dazrael

What if everyone who thought Poison was a man was only half right. What if Poison and Roxy dressed up as Sid and Billy and pretended to be men? That ticks the box for them being transvestites and also keeps them being full blooded women. Everybody wins.

Elcid

Banned
I don't know why people care so fucking much about this shit. Poison was designed to look like a woman, and if a piece of dumb street fighter lore says it's a trans character, I couldn't really give two shits. The character designer was drawing a woman, period.
Samesies. And she looks amazing.

Dazrael

If Capcom were taking it seriously then surely Poison would have been voiced by a trans actor in her SFV story rather than a woman. But she was played by a woman ergo she’s a lady.

It’s all been blown out of proportion because of some back pedalling on Capcom’s part ‘sometime in the 1990s’

yurinka

No, the interest for this game is one of the biggest ones in the genre and it's the one who keep playing the biggest % of their players when comparing to the other ones.

Evo SFV finals had 200K Twitch concurrent viewers + (other video stream channels), and even if SFV is on its 4th season it is still a top game in the genre in daily Steam concurrent players (we don't have public PS4 numbers).

7YZcUvT.png

As you can see the difference between the launch peak and the current daily players is smaller in SFV than in the other ones, which means that a bigger % of the players who bought the game are still playing. We also can see that on its 4th year still keeps the userbase from the 1st year. And as you can see they kept this level of interest by selling less (start of the line, at launch the games have their biggest sales number) than the other current top fighting games.

PZHqnYS.png

This website only allows comparisions of 4 players, but all the other ones like SoulCalibur, DOA, KOF, BB, GG, etc have way worse numbers. We also have to consider that Steam traditionally is between 1/5 and 1/6 of the sales compared to console for these kind of games, but that proportion is similar for this type of games, so even if a lot of players are missing are these charts they are representative of the global numbers.

Wonko_C

Yes it does. Via "family sharing". You can create multiple Steam accounts and play the games of your main account!
I did this to get Sagat's EX6 color in that Menat lootbox thing.
For some reason that doesn't work on mine. Every other game in my library works via family sharing, but SFV just tells me to purchase the game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Bart Simpson is a lady? Who. Gives. A. Fuck. the character design is a hot woman.
I personal think it's pandering, the original release had the character changed to men in the US version and it's stemmed from there.
Oni had said she's post-op and back tracked and said it's up to the fans.
The actual creator Akira Nishitani, said to him it's a woman but its up to the player and in 2014 he said, in his view she's a woman.
Sound like they're trying to please an obsessive crowd who wants the answer they're looking for.
I just saw article about Dax from Star Trek DS9 being pansexual.
did they need it to be confirmed? Dax was a parasite that lived the lifes of both Female and Males hosts .
Yet 20 years later, still asking the obvious which they pretend was so hidden decades before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom