• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V GAMEPLAY Trailer

fader

the real question is, how much of an impact will the chain combo's have cause it seems like it's the main feature of the game.

I don't want people to burn me at the stake, but this seems more like a SFxT gameplay revision
Yeah, it looks like that gameplay wise.

In terms of aesthetics though, it looks like they're definitely taking a lot of cues from SF3. I still think it happens after.

Village

"So, if SF4 was a reinvention of sf2, sf5 looks to be doing the same with Third Strike."

It really doesn't look like it has any gameplay similarities (that they've shown) to third strike. It doesn't look like they're going in that direction at all.

This

Honestly, it looks kinda.. marvel-ey

GrayFoxPL

InfiniteYellowishAndeancondor.gif

LiquidVibrantDolphin.gif

WanJointChameleon.gif

EqualIdioticGoat.gif

RealDecisiveFowl.gif

SereneExaltedAmurratsnake.gif

FourMyle

Some people over at SRK are calling the water/electricity effects that chun and ryu used some kind of "elemental" system.

If this is something akin to a groove system from CvS2 or the arcana system from Arcana Heart then holy shit...

Imagine being able to pick between different elements on any character.

cackhyena

The effects are too bright IMO and I don't like how an hadoken explosion takes up like half the screen.

It really doesn't, they are just zooming in on those points. I wanna see the full round stuff next weekend. Get a sense of the flow of this system.

Caineghis

Neo Member
I dont like how the ink effect seem to follow all the moves entirely now.

But looks really good so far, i wanna see what we can see at the capcom cup next week.

"Is that a low forward right before the super?"

Looks like it.

"Imagine being able to pick between different elements on any character."

That would be pretty sick.

OmegaDL50

Guard break is in
Ex moves are in
Looks like no parries OR focus attacks - thank god
It looks like chains/target combos will be the main way of comboing instead of links (almost everything in that trailer looked like it was a chain/target)
The animations are absolutely nothing like SF4. Like someone else said, the normals remind me of SF3.
It looks like this game is still going to have ultras. Chun li's attack @ 0:43 looks like an ultra

Even better the supposed Ultra Chun Li does at 0:43 looks real time rather the a mini cutscene like in SFIV.

One of my biggest things I disliked about SFIV is that Ultras after connecting part way through the animation the Ultra cutscene kicked in and felt like it was outside of the actual action going on.

Early Street Fighter games like in Alpha and especially 3rd Strike, All Super Arts don't bring a complete halt to the action on screen until the animation finishes like in SFIV. In fact earlier games Super Moves could be interrupted at the very beginning, midway or even the very end of animation.

If SFV is taking Ultras back in the direction of the older games in which they are truly real time attacks that can be stuffed or interrupted by an opponents attack with higher priority at any time, then I only see this as a VERY GOOD change.

cackhyena

"It almost looks like a 3S sweep to me."

Possibly. But cancelling a sweep into super?

Right, that's what I was thinking. On the other hand, it could just be yet another quick edit like they did throughout the video. I'd really prefer the 3S sweep. Always looked baller.

DunpealD

Yes, guard break is new to mainline SF but it was in Alpha 3 and CvS2 both of which are well known games, so I think a lot of people will be able to adapt over from SF4 pretty fast in that regard.

Also, Chun Li's air stomps after a super is certainly a SF3 thing. Ryu's normals also reminded me a lot of his SF3 ones.

I completely agree though it is too early to say just how SF5 will actually play until we (hopefully) get a good look at the game next week.

Guard break has it's implications on how the game is being played. Characters like Sagat or Dhalsim can no longer block for a long time. I still remember there were times where Daigo was blocking like a wall for a prolonged time in AE2012 with Ryu. Which in this case might be no longer possible.

It's only a week. Might as well just chill out and see what's in store rather than wasting time speculating how it could or should be.

What I find more interesting is the fact that there's no Arcade release, which is another first timer for a mainline release. I just hope that this doesn't hurt the japanese community, which still looks tight Arcade bound.

So post 3S story and characters (Denjin Hadouken) and upgraded SFxT mechanics that utilize guard breaks and destructible arenas? Doesn't sound bad to me.

OmegaDL50

So post 3S story and characters (Denjin Hadouken) and upgraded SFxT mechanics that utilize guard breaks and destructible arenas? Doesn't sound bad to me.

2nd Impact had destroyable objects in the background on some stages. Like that Yun / Yang stage with the Sculptor statues and hitting your opponent hard enough near them would break the statue.

Of course I think this little detail was meant to be a kind of throwback to Street Fighter II's Bison Thailand stage with the statues you can smash up.

In retrospect, I'm kind of bummed out they didn't continue the trend in SFIV with one of those statues in Ryu's stage, except for being able to knock the wing off the plane in Guile's stage.

Some people over at SRK are calling the water/electricity effects that chun and ryu used some kind of "elemental" system.

If this is something akin to a groove system from CvS2 or the arcana system from Arcana Heart then holy shit...

Imagine being able to pick between different elements on any character.

Didn't super puzzle fighter/pocket fighter have elemental gems?

fader

Thinking something like KI's Instinct mode where once activated it has a different effect for each character?

i'm thinking that OK, we only see them use EX and Super moves after they activate it so I think that you activate a mode where you can perform EX moves and Supers. Hopefully it's a little more deeper than that though...

orioto

Good Art™
Seeing the gameplay with good quality i'm more impressed than before. It's not that badly animated and the graphic style is pretty sharp at gaming distance. From close Ryu's kimono look like it's made of wood, but in gameplay it works pretty good. And Chun-Li has some clothe physic actually.

Still it's a little too stiff to my tastes.

Moaradin

Maybe the activation is sorta like the custom combo system in alpha that lets you chain normals that you normally can't link for a certain amount of time?

Baleoce

And if there were parries in the game, they would definitely be quick to show that off (like they did for Guard Break), but who knows what will change over the course of development.

You'd think they would have shown off parry if it was in, for sure. But what are the chances of this game re-introducing something like the ism/groove system? If we went on that theory, perhaps that trailer could have been showing off a single ism? Guard crush seems to be back, and that was in Alpha 3 as well.

DunpealD

Thinking something like KI's Instinct mode where once activated it has a different effect for each character?

Maybe there are no EX moves anymore but just a gauge for the special mode that depletes at activation?

EDIT: bah, I should listen to my own advice. I'll just chill and let you guys do the speculation work.

Seeing the gameplay with good quality i'm more impressed than before. It's not that badly animated and the graphic style is pretty sharp at gaming distance. From close Ryu's kimono look like it's made of wood, but in gameplay it works pretty good. And Chun-Li has some clothe physic actually.

I don't think you mean Kimono, but Karate Gi. Animation definitely looks different from SFIV.

Hope they do something like MKX

Imagine having a choice of:

SF2 style Ryu - cancelable sweep, red fireball w/ knockdown, more turtle based

SF3 style Ryu - Jouden special, parry ability, the universal overhead, ex attacks

SF4 style Ryu - Stronger combos/More link based, ex attacks etc

SF Alpha Ryu - Alpha counters, air blocking, chains and all that.

Evil Ryu?

Change up their looks to go with the way they played too.

Don't make them separate characters either.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i hope they do some slight character redesigns and make those the "default" instead of just rehashing the same costumes again. kof has done it to good effect with their iconic characters (kyo, terry, iori etc.)

they can include the OG costumes as alternates.

FourMyle

The animation is deliberately a little stiff.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132185/saving_street_fighter_yoshi_ono_.php?print=1

I think it looks great and much better than SF4 even in this early stage.

Didn't super puzzle fighter/pocket fighter have elemental gems?

Yes it did, but those only leveled up specific specials for your character.

Marvel Super Heroes had gems which any character could pick up and use. Each gem had different properties like super armor, super speed, etc. I don't think we'll be seeing gems in SFV though. They already tried with SFxT and everyone hated it.

OmegaDL50

i hope they do some slight character redesigns and make those the "default" instead of just rehashing the same costumes again. kof has done it to good effect with their iconic characters (kyo, terry, iori etc.)

they can include the OG costumes as alternates.

Ryu has always been known as the penultimate homeless Karate bum. I don't think giving him a default costume that doesn't show him as the homeless Karate bum he is would be fitting.

Chun Li and the other character could get a pass out of this though.

Every new installment of SF seems to show Ryu's trademark Gi to be even more and more dirty then the last.

I was trying to find the Udon artwork of Ryu being angry at needing to use a washing machine on his Gi, but I couldn't find it...blah.

Crisium

Taking bets on the Vanilla Character roster. 3S and Alpha 3 were out of spotlight for many years when SF4 came, so the original SF4 was able to get away with 17, but even then they upped it to 25 for the home version.

Will they ignore SF3 again for Vanilla? They felt they had to esablish the original 12 in SF4 right away. This time they can take more chances, I think. Having characters like Urien and Yun along with SF2 recognizables like Guile and Zangief would really do more than just copy pasting SF2 characters like they did in SF4.

The next SFV trailers should start with a blank background and only hearing one phrase "Aegis Reflector" and then show us a corner combo. Get that hardcore hype. He can even be fighting Blanka to get that SF2 flavour, and because Ono.

Crisium

So we've got one more homeless, karate bum incoming? Hype!

Original homeless karate bum: Oro
Penultimate homeless karate bum: Ryu
Ultimate homeless karate bum: Mel Masters

Ken blows away all his money in SFV and Mel must fight on the mean streets under Ryu's tutelage in SFVI. Evil Mel will be top tier.

Top Bottom