• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Launch Event: Lupe Fiasco VS Daigo Umehara

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Friend called me up about this thing.

"Seen Lupe beat the best fighting game player in the world with only half hour of practice"

"Well yeah he did but it was setup Daigo let him win so Madcatz and Capcom could sell more SFV products"

"Uh sure thing I think it's time you fighting gamers just admit Moba games require more skill"

"Wait what the fuck you on about mate?"

"Trust me you could never play a Moba game for half an hour and beat the best player in the world at it"

"I'm telling you it was just a joke promotion"

"So these corporations sold out the integrity of the whole genre for a few headlines?"

"I got to go the server is back up"

Edzi

"Seen Lupe beat the best fighting game player in the world with only half hour of practice"

"Well yeah he did but it was setup Daigo let him win so Madcatz and Capcom could sell more SFV products"

"Uh sure thing I think it's time you fighting gamers just admit Moba games require more skill"

"Trust me you could never play a Moba game for half an hour and beat the best player in the world at it"

"So these corporations sold out the integrity of the whole genre for a few headlines?"

Lol, your friend sounds insecure.

Alienous

Great match.

Spoilers
It didn't seem staged. Certainly not choreographed. Lupe was playing with an admirable level of skill, and Daigo was playing like someone who had no reason to win. It's not like Daigo decided "I'm going to lose", but it seemed clear he didn't really care about winning.

Made for a cool match.

vulva

Great match.

Spoilers
It didn't seem staged. Certainly not choreographed. Lupe was playing with an admirable level of skill, and Daigo was playing like someone who had no reason to win. It's not like Daigo decided "I'm going to lose", but it seemed clear he didn't really care about winning.

Made for a cool match.

I think he was trying to keep it close for the sake of excitement, and then just missed an srk at the very end (maybe just not used to the timing in sfv yet) and it lead to a surprise loss.

Aenima

I saw Daigo play 1 round for real (The one he did a combo chain from start to K.O.) other than that was just Daigo pressing buttons randomly for the sake of entertaining. Letting Lupe win, or winning by a very smal margin was the expected result in this type of event.

ArjanN

Great match.

Spoilers

Made for a cool match.

Nah, it was more than just playing casually, he was just giving him free hits half the time and he also wasn't punishing much either.

Honestly I thought it would have been more fun they played for real, even if that meant Lupe wouldn't have taken a round, but I get why they didn't.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I would have lost on purpose too for that sweet ass jacket he gave him.

You mean the "hobo" jacket? Man... I am really out of touch when it comes to fashion these days with these youngins.

I must be getting old :c

This is why that jacket got such a big reaction

liquidqzlaf.jpg

RibMan

Just watched this. This was so cool!

How is this possible?

It's painfully obvious that
Daigo let Lupe win. He had far too many chances of ending it but 'failed' to finish him off. It's a much more captivating story when the underdog wins.

Great match.

Spoilers

Made for a cool match.
Yeah this seems pretty accurate, although it seemed Daigo didn't realize it was a first to three, say he may have just goofed up on holding back at the wrong time.

Whompa02

That was most definitely staged. No question in my mind. Daigo has played street fighter for so long.

There's no way he would get hit with all those wake up shoryukens. Also seemingly zero tech throws throughout the entire match? Barely any meaningful parries?

Daigo was asleep, drunk, not trying at all, or that was just some bad acting.

Boke1879

Of course Daigo wasn't playing his hardest. Sure he kept it close for excitement. But he fucked ip at the end and Lupe punished him for it.

Still entertaining as shit.

Nah, it was more than just playing casually, he was just giving him free hits half the time and he also wasn't punishing much either.

Honestly I thought it would have been more fun they played for real, even if that meant Lupe wouldn't have taken a round, but I get why they didn't.

Yeah, he played quite casually and lost count of how many matches he has won. He was thinking it's 2-2 and not 3-2. You can see him not trying in the 4th round, and he started the 5th round with his true skill but didn't try that much. Fun matches, nevetheless.

mbpm1

You should have told him your dog was playing

Spizz

Banned
That put a big smile on my face, seemed like such a fun environment. With SFV I'm going to really try and get involved with the FGC and learn to play competitively. Watching people play competitively is so interesting, it truly is like a game of chess.

12BoM

ActING like the best street fighter player would ever agree to lose on purpose to someone what's wrong with u? At most he was asked to keep it competitive, and Lupe just actually took advantage of how close it was. U can tell by the expression on lupe face throughout he was extremely serious

BadWolf

ActING like the best street fighter player would ever agree to lose on purpose to someone what's wrong with u? At most he was asked to keep it competitive, and Lupe just actually took advantage of how close it was. U can tell by the expression on lupe face throughout he was extremely serious

Posts like this are hilarious to read.

That put a big smile on my face, seemed like such a fun environment. With SFV I'm going to really try and get involved with the FGC and learn to play competitively. Watching people play competitively is so interesting, it truly is like a game of chess.

Welcome to the FGC, man!

psylah

Daigo "I've done nothing but play Street Fighter for over 16 years but today I forgot that I need to block wake-up dragon punches against Ken" Umehara.

What an obvious setup.

I had a great time watching it. Obviously staged. Diago missing hado inputs and random srks made it so obvious. Iike that at brief moments Diago showed what would really happen if he was trying.

Overall I didn't know who lupe was before this but I came out liking him in the end.

galvenize

Best part of the FGC is the salt.
Kappa

Top Bottom