• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Launch Event: Lupe Fiasco VS Daigo Umehara

Exr

Daigo "I've done nothing but play Street Fighter for over 16 years but today I forgot that I need to block wake-up dragon punches against Ken" Umehara.

What an obvious setup.
I mean did you really expect Daigo to just fucking obliterate him? Come on.

StewboaT_

Honestly, I kind of hated that. Daigo purposely getting hit by wake up shorys and using the wrong shory for anti airs was painfully obvious. I get that it was just supposed to be a fun exhibition, but I'd way rather watch two superstars go at it full tilt. To each their own.

Edit: fourwude vs daigo immediately please!

I mean it was obviously staged, even as someone who's not really a sf vet' specifically, I understand the skill level of the top players, that said I don't see the point in losing overall, at least if he wanted to make it more entertaining do so without losing the best of 5.

the_id

One of the commentators was a squeaky 14yo girl. And his Japanese references just sounded unprofessional. Pick someone else next time.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I watched it live yesterday and after Daigo lost I had to wonder if he purposely threw away the match because I'm a far cry away from being anything near a pro player but even I knew that I should probably start blocking those Shoryuken every time Lupe was waking up with it.So yeah this whole thing was staged in my opinion.

SkylineRKR

It was staged. But the point was showing how fun this game is for everyone. They clearly had fun, I enjoyed watching the fight. Lupe does know some stuff, he can play. Daigo would at times show what he can do with some nasty setups, but he would always back off to not completely body Lupe. I think he tried a double KO at the end but it didn't happen, which surprised Daigo.

Dremark

Banned
what rocks have you been hiding under? just now heard of Twitch.tv?

Yeah that's not what I mean. WWE uses sports entertainment to refer to it's product, which appears to be a sport, but is actually an athletic demonstration with a fixed outcome.

This is the e-sports equivalent.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm assuming Daigo and Lupe both probably thought it was FT5 (since that was even mentioned on air before hand), and Daigo was goofing around, and figured he'd just let Lupe get up 4-2 / 4-3, and then put on a display of technical prowess. Except it was FT3, and no one realized it until after the fact.

Lupe's a hell of an actor if that was faked, cuz he looked legitimately insanely out of his mind happy.

It was fun, and the MOBA players can go deal with the fact that FGs are still the hardest execution games on the planet generally speaking. :p (and I say this as a MOBA player)

RedAssedApe

Banned
One of the commentators was a squeaky 14yo girl. And his Japanese references just sounded unprofessional. Pick someone else next time.

commentary was the best part as they had to ad lib humor into diago clearly sandbagging. this wasn't anything serious. why did they need to be professional when it was an exhibition and all for fun

I don't think it was a 100% scripted fight. I don't even think Daigo was supposed to lose. I do think Daigo was playing to get Lupe to the last round of a 2-2, while trying to be a bit flashy (I mean, for example, most of the stuff he was trying to parry...nobody would try to parry it when just blocking it offers the same opportunities for punishment) for the sake of entertainment.

I for one do not think he was supposed to lose. Actually, if you watch the very last hit, do you think a person trying to lose would input a shoryuken there? would not that be too risky? An slightly slower input on Lupe's flying kick would've given Daigo the match. I think he intended to lead the round up to that point, and then he just screwed up because of SFV's shoryuken properties are different than SFIV's and his SFIV muscle memory is just too strong at this point.

All of it was embarrassing. I don't think a pro-level player should ever have to play pretending to have a fair fight against a scrub, regardless of if it was an exhibition or not. It kind of hurts the perspective on professional eSports. I mean, what is the point of a professional league if a scrub like Lupe can play a game streamed worldwide against one of the best fighting game players of history and win?

Boke1879

I don't think it was a 100% scripted fight. I don't even think Daigo was supposed to lose. I do think Daigo was playing to get Lupe to the last round of a 2-2, while trying to be a bit flashy (I mean, for example, most of the stuff he was trying to parry...nobody would try to parry it when just blocking it offers the same opportunities for punishment) for the sake of entertainment.

I for one do not think he was supposed to lose. Actually, if you watch the very last hit, do you think a person trying to lose would input a shoryuken there? would not that be too risky? An slightly slower input on Lupe's flying kick would've given Daigo the match. I think he intended to lead the round up to that point, and then he just screwed up because of SFV's shoryuken properties are different than SFIV's and his SFIV muscle memory is just too strong at this point.

All of it was embarrassing. I don't think a pro-level player should ever have to play pretending to have a fair fight against a scrub, regarding of if it was an exhibition or not. It kind of hurts the perspective on professional eSports. I mean, what is the point of a professional league if a scrub like Lupe can play a game streamed worldwide against one of the best fighting game players on history and win?

He wasn't supposed to lose or at least he didn't want to. The last match Daigo fucked up at the end and everyone knew it. Lupe just happened to take advantage lol

Lupe's a hell of an actor if that was faked, cuz he looked legitimately insanely out of his mind happy.

I actually think he was overacting a bit, to be honest. But I also think he did not know Daigo was going to go easy on him. I think only Daigo was given instructions. And they were like this: "we don't want you to publicly humiliate this guy with a painfully to watch 3-0 with many perfects. Please try to make it feel like a real match while trying to be as flashy as you can until you win"... only things did not go that way...

RedAssedApe

Banned

All of it was embarrassing. I don't think a pro-level player should ever have to play pretending to have a fair fight against a scrub, regarding of if it was an exhibition or not. It kind of hurts the perspective on professional eSports. I mean, what is the point of a professional league if a scrub like Lupe can play a game streamed worldwide against one of the best fighting game players on history and win?

Why not? Celebrities win charity/exhibition matches all the time. People need to stop treating this as if they were playing a money match lol

Why not? Celebrities win charity/exhibition matches all the time. People need to stop treating this as if they were playing a money match lol

I am OK with a pro-level player playing against an scrub for exhibition purposes, even losing some rounds. Hell, even losing the game.

I have an issue with him having to pretend it is not actually letting the scrub win. Just make it obvious. Like giving the pro-player a handicap (playing with one hand? with his view partially obstructed? With a pad when he is a stick player?), or make him do something funny (like taunting all the time).

And before you suggest it: no, it was not that obvious (not for people that are not familiar with the FCG or fighting games at least). That is why this thread has so many pages and why some people online actually think Lupe won fair and square.

Edzi

I am OK with a pro-level player playing against an scrub for exhibition purposes, even losing some rounds. Hell, even losing the game.

I have an issue with him having to pretend it is not actually letting the scrub win. Just make it obvious. Like giving the pro-player a handicap (playing with one hand? with his view partially obstructed? With a pad when he is a stick player?), or make him do something funny (like taunting all the time).

And before you suggest it: no, it was not that obvious. That is why this thread has so many pages and why some people online actually think Lupe won fair and square.

Ehh, honestly, I feel like the only people who don't find it obvious that Daigo was sandbagging for most of it are the people who have never watched a real SF tournament. I don't think he planned on losing, but there's no way in hell he was being serious.

Ehh, honestly, I feel like the only people who don't find it obvious that Daigo was sandbagging for most of it are the people who have never watched a real SF tournament. I don't think he planned on losing, but there's no way in hell he was being serious.

I agree, but I don't think the target audience of that exhibition was them. That is why they brought Lupe. It was supposed to get people interested in the scene, and I am afraid making the most famous player lose against a noob has only contributed to make it feel like a joke.

Honestly, I kind of hated that. Daigo purposely getting hit by wake up shorys and using the wrong shory for anti airs was painfully obvious. I get that it was just supposed to be a fun exhibition, but I'd way rather watch two superstars go at it full tilt. To each their own.

Edit: fourwude vs daigo immediately please!

The match would have been over in less than 5 minutes and people would be "well of course Daigo's gonna win".

Thats why i say daigo is humble .

There is no freaking way I'd let myself lose or even get close to that when a bunch of nuts will swear "See , he really got beat!"

For him to put on a show like that and not get wrapped up in his own ego/legacy is really cool.

Also to give credence to that , Even lupe wasn't acting a nut . He knew. He was just glad to be part of it all.

Honestly , alot of class showed by both. It was a good look and great event. To bad I couldn't have gone.

For clarity , it wasn't staged but heavily exaggerated for entertainment. Which was fine by me.

Edzi

I agree, but I don't think the target audience of that exhibition was them. That is why they brought Lupe. It was supposed to get people interested in the scene, and I am afraid making the most famous player lose against a noob has only contributed to make it feel like a joke.

I dunno, it was always promoted as a fun casual set, and it ended up being pretty entertaining for everyone who was watching. I don't think the plan was for Daigo to lose, but I can't see the outcome we got hurting the game. If anything, I think it'll really help get more people who wouldn't typically be into SF interested in checking it out.

Rudiano

Banned
Staged or not, right at the end when Lupe won with the jump in...it looked like Daigo went for an anti air DP but timed it wrong, if that landed Daigo would have won. So if it was indeed staged then why would Daigo attempt the DP and win the match if it landed?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Staged or not, right at the end when Lupe won with the jump in...it looked like Daigo went for an anti air DP but timed it wrong, if that landed Daigo would have won. So if it was indeed staged then why would Daigo attempt the DP and win the match if it landed?

seems like both players though it was actually FT5 as they were all looking around confused and it took awhile before lupe "popped off" lol

Daigo wasn't going all out, but that's not that big of a deal to me. I mean, it wouldn't have been fun for anyone, him included if he just went ham on the dude. That said, I would have also preferred if they had just had him try his hardest while playing with a significant handicap. I think that would have been more satisfying and entertaining even, while still being a bit more honest, lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Daigo wasn't going all out, but that's not that big of a deal to me. I mean, it wouldn't have been fun for anyone, him included if he just went ham on the dude. That said, I would have also preferred if they had just had him try his hardest while playing with a significant handicap. I think that would have been more satisfying and entertaining even, while still being a bit more honest, lol.

lupe's stick was probably meant for daigo ;)

heh that was some pretty hype shit yesterday. had to watch that shit again.

edit: lol the fact that people have to constantly bring up "it's staged!" is a bit concerning by itself

Zipzo

Banned
That's right guys. Sap all the fun right the fuck out of it.

Okay, I think it's pretty intellectually dishonest to presume and assert that because people are miffed about the sandbagging that they are not "fun" people.

First of all, fun is a subjective term, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, so what you find fun is probably not the same for others.

I think it's actually quite valid for some to not find it appealing watching their "hero" be (potentially) paid off to play embarrassingly bad (or illogically and not in usual form). Doesn't matter whether it's for fun, for money, or for the universe championship, it's in the public eye and it has the potential to tarnish the image that people spend lots of time admiring. They want to see him do his usual "daigo-thing", and anyone who went to that event or watched it expecting that...got ripped off basically.

So I get it, some people think that hype is simply born out of thin air as long as there is loud noises and screaming on the microphone...but many people actually care about the actual content that's meant to hype them up, and experienced players saw through that performance like a net, and so it feels cheap. Like you're watching a crappy, underfunded commercial. The opposite of hype.

In conclusion, it's absolutely fair for people to be annoyed that Daigo sandbagged, and it's also absolutely fair for other people to think it was fun whether he sandbagged or not.

Moral of the story : opinions are like you-know-whats.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Who is this Lupe Fiasco dude anyway?
A rapper with no significant pro experience in the FGC as far as I know which makes this whole farce even more obvious that it was staged imo.

Kraftwerk

I need this in my life

0Xh7t4R.jpg

I saw Mr. Wizard tweet about having these two rematch at EVO. IMO they should never play in a organized exhibition like this again. And I'm not saying that because I hated it, I actually really enjoyed it. I'm saying that because what happened the first time was unexpected and seemed even magical to a degree. I don't think anybody expected Daigo to do what he did. Sure people could see him sand bagging, but not to this degree. One known quote from him is that he would always give it his all in matches, no matter who his opponent is. Maybe he only meant tournament matches because it obviously didn't apply here.

Basically if they did it again. Everybody would see it coming this time. It would be predictable and no where near as good as the first time. And if Daigo did play for real, their really isn't much fun in watching a pro annihilate a low level player. We see that dozens of times on stream during pool play all the time. So just leave it be, it was a pretty great experience and let us remember it that way.

Edzi

I saw Mr. Wizard tweet about having these two rematch at EVO. IMO they should never play in a organized exhibition like this again. And I'm not saying that because I hated it, I actually really enjoyed it. I'm saying that because what happened the first time was unexpected and seemed even magical to a degree. I don't think anybody expected Daigo to do what he did. Sure people could see him sand bagging, but not to this degree. One known quote from him is that he would always give it his all in matches, no matter who his opponent is. Maybe he only meant tournament matches because it obviously didn't apply here.

Basically if they did it again. Everybody would see it coming this time. It would be predictable and no where near as good as the first time. And if Daigo did play for real, their really isn't much fun in watching a pro annihilate a low level player. We see that dozens of times on stream during pool play all the time. So just leave it be, it was a pretty great experience and let us remember it that way.

Pretty much this, it's not wise to milk it further. Plus, Lupe is retired now.

Lupe Fiasco ‏@LupeFiasco Feb 16
Yeah it was definitely staged...

Round 1 was on Cammy Stage
Round 2 was Bison Stage
Round 3 was on Nash Stage
Round 4 was on...😏

He's just that damn good

Top Bottom