• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to do some ranked tonight to break 3K for shits n giggles, 15 win streak and 3 RQ's.

Lost my win streak to a Friendly And Nice Guy. Still have to learn this matchup, I have no clue when his legit blockstrings actually end.

Also, Capcom please fix this game...

jwhit28

I put like 3 hours into learning Alex's LP xx L. Flash Chop, and I'm still only doing it 60% of the time. Why couldn't it be Cr. LP xx L. Flash Chop?

I just saw the goddamn character levels tied to the color unlocks.

What is this, fighting game secrets of 2000?
It'd be better if the colors were at least clustered closer together. Smash got it right a while back with the deluge of trophies and other rewards on a frequent basis. I'll probably forget about the level 50 costume as a current level 28.
Damn, I didn't realize Alex was this similar to his 3rd Strike iteration in regards to his normals. Really nice video.

https://youtu.be/WjaDU72GhH8
I'm surprised how similar the animations are too. Feels strange to see them nail the moves so well while the idle stance still has it's issues (the front leg and his neck leaning downwards too much).
Confirming LK elbow to Super is the greatest feeling.
It has been a wonderful feeling since 3S. I do it all day long.
Ryu is so good in this game. Ugh
So good that I don't even like fighting him. The brick walls are the worst.
I just lost at hard survival round 50...

...hold me.
The farthest I've made it was stage 39 against Rashid (iirc). The funny thing is that spamming j.HK into combos (and HP/EX powerbomb) actually works. What a useless and time wasting mode.
I fucking hate to fight against Ryu
Him, Vega and Rashid are the bane of my existence. I don't need them in my life.
Once again my wall against silver league is always Nash.

1999 LP against a 700LP Nash?

yeah I got this.

1 perfect later and one beating my ass into submission

145 LP loss.

REMATCH!

proceeds to get stunned both rounds into a quick death

145 LP loss.

tumblr_mt6g6qgwSQ1sogk1do1_500.gif
This is suffering. I never rematch people that can take over 90 points from me in one match. I don't care if I won. Capcom needs to give me more silvers, super silver and gold players. Also, Hanekawa is the perfect gif girl for this situation. Picking rematch under those circumstances almost feels masochistic lol.
So many low ranked people running with the points. :( Make rematch mandatory please.
Screw that

I don't want to fight guys that take 100 points from me twice over. I'll quit ranked faster than the survival CPU can mind read.

Btw,Amazon seems to have the PS4 disc for $10 again. Great to pick up for gifts or those that wrote off the game because, ' no arcade mode'.

nadeshiko = hidden missiles of sfv
this happened earlier on daigo's stream between fuudo's mika and tokido's ryu
https://twitter.com/Furious_blog/status/716136807461552128
Not saying that isn't a fantastic sequence of reads and inputs, but corner shenanigans like that are what make people hate Mika. :p

Just tried Karin's story costume for the first time. I'd use it more often if the clipping on it wasn't so bad.
I still like it. I wish her third costume was more like that than how it's like 80% similar to her default.

kirblar

Seriously, buy it now. I'm picking up extra copies, cause I can either gift them to friends, or trade them to Best Buy for 84 bux in store credit.

Messiah

Yeah, Sim's beard covers his lower teeth in the victory screen too.

Capcpom pls

The default colour is fine but when you select a different colour and the black spats start clipping through the dress even when you are not doing anything extraordinary but are just walking back and forth it looks really bad.

Capcpom indeed.

Lyonaz

Karin's black/red and gray colors are totally worth the fight money. Now I only need to take a break from my ranked Ryu.

Zerojul

Yeah, Laura's, Mika's, Alex' and Zangief's are probably the easiest.
I found Birdie's really easy too. Karin's were the hardest because of the dreadful number 6.
All around pretty easy to get them all down though, and I never managed to 100% SFIV's trials. I had a lot of fun doing those but I wish there were more.

Yeah, Laura's, Mika's, Alex' and Zangief's are probably the easiest.

Yea I just did Zangliefs too, its just a little messy to get the whole circle motions down for me on a ds4. Birdie is on 8/10 but the hold down attack doesn't work for me.. Guess il try Mika and Alex then

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I found Birdie's really easy too. Karin's were the hardest because of the dreadful number 6.
All around pretty easy to get them all down though, and I never managed to 100% SFIV's trials. I had a lot of fun doing those but I wish there were more.

Yeah, my plan last night was to run Alex mirrors with my boy but I got sucked into doing Trials instead. I did as many as I could before sleep called me, so I have Chun's #10 and Karin #6-10 left. I managed to snag a bunch of colors at least.

After putting in a bunch of a time with Alex, i've come to the conclusion that I have zero idea why Capcom put him in this game. He's terrible. AWFUL. Easily one of the worst characters in the game, and his kit comes across like he was designed in a vacuum when compared to the starting 16. Why do I say that? Because not only do several of the other grapplers have his tools, but they have BETTER versions of those tools.

First, Alex has some of the slowest normals in the game, both on start-up & recovery. He's got a great st.mp, a solid st.hp, and an okay cr.mk. His cr.mp could be good, but either for the sake of removing its comboability in the footsie range, or because it extends really far out & they figured balancing it should involve making the player wait a longer turn, they shredded its recovery. His lariet is okay, outside of the long start-up time. Basically, with Alex, you're gonna have far few 'turns', than most other characters, in particular other grapplers.

The concept of a charge grappler could seem pretty novel, but there just isn't enough that you get from his charge moves to offset all of the things anchoring Alex. Let's compare him to Birdie. It's actually kind of funny just how many things both Birdie & Alex share. Specials that move the character forward & attack? Sure, but Birdie's are a special input instead of a charge. Jump towards command grab? Yup, but again, Birdie's is a special input, and Alex's is a charge. They even have the same st.hk, except Birdie's is a few frames faster on recovery. And unlike Birdie & Gief, Alex has no access to an armored normal, which is kind of crazy considering how slow his normals can be.

Suffice it to say, Alex has one of the scarier, but also one of the 'weaker' v-skills. It's weak in the sense that Alex doesn't actually build any meter for doing it. See, Alex's v-trigger is meant to offset a lot of his problems. But the reality is, in order to get to it, you're gonna have to block. Unlike the majority of the cast, Alex builds v-meter on blocked hits, which is a game changer for how fast he can build it up. His v-skill won't contribute to gaining meter, unless your hard hit ends up being a crush counter. And it leaves you wide open, and has a rule-set identical to R.Mika's v-skill. Get hit or block after doing his v-skill & hard hit goes away. If the opponent blocks an attack, hard hit goes away.

I really don't know what i'd do to go about fixing Alex. He's underwhelming, highly technical, and is going to require an inordinate amount of reads & player conditioning in order to use effectively.

Ultrabum

I beat all the Karin trials in 30 min, but for the life of me I cannot cancel ryu's haduken into his super. Is there some sort of shortcut I don't know about?

Kouichi

Yay I finally made it to silver!....then the very next match I win against another silver and they immediately rage quit.

Damn, it begins.

Rektash

I am starting to think that Ryus st. LP is the best anti air in this game. It beats literally everything. Be it cross up, neutral jump, forward jump - it doesn't matter.

Mr. X

After putting in a bunch of a time with Alex, i've come to the conclusion that I have zero idea why Capcom put him in this game. He's terrible. AWFUL. Easily one of the worst characters in the game, and his kit comes across like he was designed in a vacuum when compared to the starting 16. Why do I say that? Because not only do several of the other grapplers have his tools, but they have BETTER versions of those tools.

First, Alex has some of the slowest normals in the game, both on start-up & recovery. He's got a great st.mp, a solid st.hp, and an okay cr.mk. His cr.mp could be good, but either for the sake of removing its comboability in the footsie range, or because it extends really far out & they figured balancing it should involve making the player wait a longer turn, they shredded its recovery. His lariet is okay, outside of the long start-up time. Basically, with Alex, you're gonna have far few 'turns', than most other characters, in particular other grapplers.

The concept of a charge grappler could seem pretty novel, but there just isn't enough that you get from his charge moves to offset all of the things anchoring Alex. Let's compare him to Birdie. It's actually kind of funny just how many things both Birdie & Alex share. Specials that move the character forward & attack? Sure, but Birdie's are a special input instead of a charge. Jump towards command grab? Yup, but again, Birdie's is a special input, and Alex's is a charge. They even have the same st.hk, except Birdie's is a few frames faster on recovery. And unlike Birdie & Gief, Alex has no access to an armored normal, which is kind of crazy considering how slow his normals can be.

Suffice it to say, Alex has one of the scarier, but also one of the 'weaker' v-skills. It's weak in the sense that Alex doesn't actually build any meter for doing it. See, Alex's v-trigger is meant to offset a lot of his problems. But the reality is, in order to get to it, you're gonna have to block. Unlike the majority of the cast, Alex builds v-meter on blocked hits, which is a game changer for how fast he can build it up. His v-skill won't contribute to gaining meter, unless your hard hit ends up being a crush counter. And it leaves you wide open, and has a rule-set identical to R.Mika's v-skill. Get hit or block after doing his v-skill & hard hit goes away. If the opponent blocks an attack, hard hit goes away.

I really don't know what i'd do to go about fixing Alex. He's underwhelming, highly technical, and is going to require an inordinate amount of reads & player conditioning in order to use effectively.

Read the first post and then watch the 2nd vid in that thread to learn to play Alex properly.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208830/powa-bomb-alex-tech-thread#latest

stn

I beat all the Karin trials in 30 min, but for the life of me I cannot cancel ryu's haduken into his super. Is there some sort of shortcut I don't know about?
...Really? You have everyone and their mother complaining about the just-frame QCF+KP, which you did in 30 min? You can literally get it to come out just by mashing QCF and punch right after the hadouken releases. Been that way forever.

You do qcf+p -> qcf+p.

It's really easy for the super to just come out though. I feel like srk -> is easier to get out more consistently with the bonus of it doing better damage.

Speaking of that Karin trial, I had no issue doing that exact combo but now having not really played for about 3 weeks I can't get it to come out for shit

HardRojo

As expected, I'm free to Bonita randomness.
I know Laura will jump to get the crossup, so I jump back fierce to retaliate, but her far reaching normals beat me. Also, apparently she's the only one (so far from what I've noticed) who can punish a well spaced LK Scythe from Nash...

Trickster

Can't remember if I've asked this before in my posts about Necalli, but is his s.hk punishable on block? As Mika specifically.

BadWolf

Read the first post and then watch the 2nd vid in that thread to learn to play Alex properly.

Thanks, Alex is looking great.

Not sure how anyone can proclaim a character as garbage like a day or two after release, brand new characters take time to figure out and learn.

The only reason I'm not using him is because I'm already using Mika and don't feel like playing another grappler atm.

LegendX48

Sorry, this is probably common knowledge, but alt+tab just minimizes steam and shows desktop; not exit the game? Are you saying that if you alt+tab before a match is completely over, it counts as a quit? Asking so I don't accidentally do this.
It minimizes it but, iirc it can make it lag for the other player. Went back to the game as the match was starting and I think it was lagging for the other guy. Unless it was disproven, then I'm just being a big baby >.>

Ultrabum

...Really? You have everyone and their mother complaining about the just-frame QCF+KP, which you did in 30 min? You can literally get it to come out just by mashing QCF and punch right after the hadouken releases. Been that way forever.

I didn't know that, I was trying to do two more qcf lol

Moaradin

People calling characters weak or overpowered 2 days after they come out will never not crack me up. NOBODY knows how to play Alex right now. Proper use of his buttons and match up experience against other characters takes time to learn.

qcf x2

People calling characters weak or overpowered 2 days after they come out will never not crack me up. NOBODY knows how to play Alex right now. Proper use of his buttons and match up experience against other characters takes time to learn.

Yet it happens every time without fail.

Hyun Sai

Especially when everybody is rocking one month and more experience with all the others characters.

Trickster

Spacing is what makes it hard to punish. No decent Necalli will throw it out at close range.

Yeah this is definitely the case of the Necalli's I play. Also just spend a bit in training mode testing it, at certain ranges it absulutely seems unpunishable on block

HabeeNo

Guys who's currently the best Laura player in the pro scene?

I need to get/see some mixups and tips to get in, getting bodied everyday now :(

thought i'd check top ranked alex videos while i wait. let's look at this guy, zangiefborschtsomething from brazil, rank 60. oh, he's matched up with some bronze ryu. stuns him twice, keeps taunting him. what a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom