• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Feels good to be playing again after shattering my arm last fall. I've got a lot of practice to do in training mode, though. Here I was before the injury, finally getting used to an arcade stick, but now am finding myself having to practice with a gamepad since it doesn't aggravate my arm like the stick does for some reason. =\

Feels good to be playing again after shattering my arm last fall. I've got a lot of practice to do in training mode, though. Here I was before the injury, finally getting used to an arcade stick, but now am finding myself having to practice with a gamepad since it doesn't aggravate my arm like the stick does for some reason. =

Mr. Nash, huh? 🤔

Is ur first name Charles by any chance?

Edzi

God I'm so salty I hate what they've done to Alex but he's the only character on the roster I like right now.

I think all of us Alex mains are in the same boat right now. His normals/options are just too terrible in a game where most of the cast can demolish him from anywhere on screen.

Kashiwaba

I think all of us Alex mains are in the same boat right now. His normals/options are just too terrible in a game where most of the cast can demolish him from anywhere on screen.

How is he different from S1? Because I'm actually having more troubles against S2 Alex than S1 Alex when I'm playing as Rashid.

LakeEarth

How good was Alex last season. I only played for a few weeks last season.

He wasn't that great, but his c.mp was a really good tool and his s.lp was a perfect antiair which led to a 50/50 situation. Now he has neither.

But hey, stungun headbutt has slightly less recovery frames on whiff! Oh joy!

Have Karin players actually been able to implement her new juggle state MP? I forget it even exists. That and her air target combo have seen no use from me.
A pointless buff so far. I haven't seen it in use anywhere. I would have gladly taken an AA buff on her cr.HP or st.HP hitbox instead.
How is he different from S1? Because I'm actually having more troubles against S2 Alex than S1 Alex when I'm playing as Rashid.
Shorter hitboxes, extended hurtboxes, more frames on startup, more frames on recovery and even extra pushback on certain buttons making combos harder to do. His st.HK and f.HP are the only ground normals that got any buffs. His stomp and stun gun got slightly better, but not enough to make up for tough nerfs on his slash elbow and air knee strike. Basically, they buffed his gimmick game and nerfed what was actually solid about him.

Edit: Forgot his cr.HP, but it didn't get buffed nearly enough imo. A lot of characters need to get more damage off their heavy anti airs. We need more combos coming off of heavy anti airs.

Also, some people tend to play Rashid in a really "YOLO" way. After the damage buff on f.HP (+6 so he can chain into st.mp now) he does more damage on people who want to play crazy and Rashid is definitely one of the characters who likes to play crazy. Alex gets shut down by people who play smart and patient. What is he going do do from across the screen once you've piled up 3-500 damage or once you've knocked him down? He can't do anything.

Zackat

Nice article I just read about the FGC and its interesting relationship with SFV. Thought about making a thread for it, but it would just become shit post central. Linked it here for anyone who is interested.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/why-street-fighter-endures-community

There are few franchises in the fighting game community that carry as much weight as Street Fighter. An inception point for the arcade fighting game scene, the next mainline entry for the venerable series released to checkered response last year with Street Fighter V. For a while, it was difficult to go anywhere and not hear about the game's shortcomings. A lack of proper story or arcade modes, no ability to play a proper Vs. match with the CPU and the perpetual promise of "more to come" eventually peppered every discussion.Yet, watch any Twitch stream, go to Evo or even just talk to an average layman, and they will tell you: despite being one of the smallest premier esports, Street Fighter is on the rise. Between its spotlight on ESPN, hosting the grand finals at Mandalay Bay Events Center, and touring the country with the Capcom Pro Tour, Street Fighter V is both the most visible and most watched fighting game, and it lives in the pantheon of top eSports. How can a game be so celebrated, yet still so critically panned?

Kashiwaba

A pointless buff so far. I haven't seen it in use anywhere. I would have gladly taken an AA buff on her cr.HP or st.HP hitbox instead.

Shorter hitboxes, extended hurtboxes, more frames on startup, more frames on recovery and even extra pushback on certain buttons making combos harder to do. His st.HK and f.HP are the only ground normals that got any buffs. His stomp and stun gun got slightly better, but not enough to make up for tough nerfs on his slash elbow and air knee strike. Basically, they buffed his gimmick game and nerfed what was actually solid about him.

Also, some people tend to play Rashid in a really "YOLO" way. After the damage buff on f.HP (+6 so he can chain into st.mp now) he does more damage on people who want to play crazy and Rashid is definitely one of the characters who like to play crazy. Alex gets shut down by people who play smart and patient. What is he going do do from across the screen once you've piled up 3-500 damage or once you've knocked him down? He can't do anything.
That's a good point maybe i should try the more patient, long range style against Alex next time.

Not here, but there's a thread in Gaming about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336169

Nice article I just read about the FGC and its interesting relationship with SFV. Thought about making a thread for it, but it would just become shit post central. Linked it here for anyone who is interested.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/why-street-fighter-endures-community

Really nice article. Thanks for sharing!

IMO they need to buff Mika's health a bit. You lose like half of your stamina just getting in on certain foes and the one benefit that made her vortex nastier than Laura's (Passion Press into the corner from anywhere on screen) is now gone.

Edzi

IMO they need to buff Mika's health a bit. You lose like half of your stamina just getting in on certain foes and the one benefit that made her vortex nastier than Laura's (Passion Press into the corner from anywhere on screen) is now gone.

Mika was busted. Now Laura is busted. That's not a reason to make Mika busted again. Busted vortex design should stop being a thing.

Mika was busted. Now Laura is busted. That's not a reason to make Mika busted again. Busted vortex design should stop being a thing.

I'm not sayin' they should give her Passion Press back, just that she could use a 50 HP boost so that you're not bleeding all over the walls by the time you actually manage to get them into the corner. You can balance her without beating her into the ground like they did with the S2 patch.

Edzi

I'm not sayin' they should give her Passion Press back, just that she could use a 50 HP boost so that you're not bleeding all over the walls by the time you actually manage to get them into the corner. You can balance her without beating her into the ground like they did with the S2 patch.

Mika wasn't beaten into the ground with S2, she was more or less normalized. You have to keep in mind that she's still nuts in the corner, so I think it balances out. Her normals are still good enough to play a decent footsies game.

Mika wasn't beaten into the ground with S2, she was more or less normalized. You have to keep in mind that she's still nuts in the corner, so I think it balances out. Her normals are still good enough to play a decent footsies game.

Eh, I disagree. Her pokes are garbage and far outclassed by most of the cast, and while she's a monster in the corner her mobility options are such that she can be easily prevented from getting anywhere near the corner with some basic zoning.

It balances out to make her a decent character overall, but she still struggles in a lot of places where the other grapplers sans Alex excel. I don't wanna be one of those folks who bemoans their main's weaknesses all the time but my matches over the past few weeks (both online and at locals) have made it clear that they went a little too crazy with the nerfs on Mika; dismantling most of her neutral gameplan while giving her nothing in return.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I stopped double tapping like 4 years ago but noticed that I'm naturally starting to again on normal to charged specials cancels. Might just have to consciously start again.

Marvel

could never
I double tap these days, just happened natrually not long before Akuma release. Now it is a habbit with everyone I play.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, Mika is a lopsided character with too many flaws and only one specific area she excels at. Her toolset does not justify her having 950 health anymore.

She doesn't get much reward off of her Brimstone command grab, she has mediocre footsie tools, she has mediocre defensive tools (her AA game outside of EX WA is actually not that good), and she even lacks burst damage when she doesn't have V-Trigger.

There's a reason she wasn't played much at a a high level of play competitively before, and now that the few people who mained her are iffy except for NuckleDu (and that might be due to Guile), she's going to be down there with Alex and FANG (statistically, even, going by the online numbers).

The changes I think of would be to revert the nerf they made to her EX Peach recovery (she gets no oki reward for a KD that requires 1 bar currently), a boost to her health (in a game where Mika is far from the only character who excels in the corner, nothing justifies her 950 health), and potentially making st.LK a standing low (an indirect buff to her drop kick, where opponents with above average walk speed can't just walk away, and also just making it so opponents actually have to think about crouching vs. her).

Hell, I also have no idea why they nerfed the jump state of her cr.MP. A bunch of other characters have similar normals, but Mika couldn't have it for a move that visually looks like it for some reason?

Edzi

There's a reason she wasn't played much at a a high level of play competitively before, and now that the few people who mained her are iffy except for NuckleDu (and that might be due to Guile), she's going to be down there with Alex and FANG (statistically, even, going by the online numbers).

lol, no. Flux, you're a smart player, but you've always been a bit blinded when it comes to Mika, especially in S1. Sure, maybe she got it a bit hard this season, but there's no way in hell she's bottom 3. I'd wager the only reason she wasn't seen more in S1 (despite having a pretty big presence in most tourneys) was because she was so 50/50 and people didn't like relying on guesswork.

Eh, I disagree. Her pokes are garbage and far outclassed by most of the cast, and while she's a monster in the corner her mobility options are such that she can be easily prevented from getting anywhere near the corner with some basic zoning.

It balances out to make her a decent character overall, but she still struggles in a lot of places where the other grapplers sans Alex excel. I don't wanna be one of those folks who bemoans their main's weaknesses all the time but my matches over the past few weeks (both online and at locals) have made it clear that they went a little too crazy with the nerfs on Mika; dismantling most of her neutral gameplan while giving her nothing in return.

It's entirely possible you're right, but I still can't see her as anything below mid tier.

Of course, anyone seems good when you play Alex. Seems like they both got their neutral options neutered, but at least Mika kept some working gimmicks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is negative edge a problem for anyone else? What happens to me a lot with Karin is I do cr.mk xx qcf.p with V-Trigger active and get cr.mk xx tenko, because I get a negative edge mk input. I've put hours into trying to avoid that, but it still happens from time to time.

FluxWaveZ

lol, no. Flux, you're a smart player, but you've always been a bit blinded when it comes to Mika, especially in S1. Sure, maybe she got it a bit hard this season, but there's no way in hell she's bottom 3. I'd wager the only reason she wasn't seen more in S1 (despite having a pretty big presence in most tourneys) was because she was so 50/50 and people didn't like relying on guesswork.

I'm talking about character usage, not character strength. I've not been blinded at all when it comes to Mika, either in S1 or in S2, because I play enough, have experience with enough other characters, and talk to others in the scene enough to be able to see things objectively. I have no idea why you think I've always been "blinded." What have I said that is untrue?

Whatever the case may be as to why she wasn't played much in tournaments, the fact is that the people who did lean towards that playstyle are now uncertain about her, so she is going to be played even less, alongside FANG and Alex. That's only logical.

FluxWaveZ

Yo isn't Fuudo still using her? And so is Luffy too.

Fuudo has been using her recently due to her being the one he has the most experience with, but has apparently been talking about dropping her for Ibuki. Luffy has been playing her online, but is as unhappy as anyone else who focused on her in S1, and might end up dropping her.

Is negative edge a problem for anyone else? What happens to me a lot with Karin is I do cr.mk xx qcf.p with V-Trigger active and get cr.mk xx tenko, because I get a negative edge mk input. I've put hours into trying to avoid that, but it still happens from time to time.

Negative edge in SFV is down right horrible for controllers, wish we could turn it off, for example i buffered Alex chop decided to cancel, I block corner back(crouch block) for a second, do Alex chop get power bomb lol..

Shadoken

You cant say players dropping characters just based on character strength , Especially pros who are playing to win. A character can be mid tier or even mid high and a pro would drop that character to pick a high tier especially if its a character they like better.

Edzi

I'm talking about character usage, not character strength. I've not been blinded at all when it comes to Mika, either in S1 or in S2, because I play enough, have experience with enough other characters, and talk to others in the scene enough to be able to see things objectively. I have no idea why you think I've always been "blinded." What have I said that is untrue?

Whatever the case may be as to why she wasn't played much in tournaments, the fact is that the people who did lean towards that playstyle are now uncertain about her, so she is going to be played even less, alongside FANG and Alex. That's only logical.

You've downplayed her quite a bit throughout the last year, that's all I meant. I think you want her to be more honest than she is, while her entire gameplan is dishonest by design. The fact that Mika players got so up in arms about the fact that she lost the clap, one of the most busted and braindead one hit = death moves in the game, was kind of telling imo.

You cant say players dropping characters just based on character strength , Especially pros who are playing to win. A character can be mid tier or even mid high and a pro would drop that character to pick a high tier especially if its a character they like better.

This too. I think people at high levels dropping Mika has more to do with her losing some of her cheapness than it does with her being straight up bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom