• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you using?

Mika and Urien, mostly. I was dicking around with a few other characters in Battle Lounge tonight just to see who I could have the most success with vs. Guile and I seemed to do decently with Birdie too (Bandit Chain is great at keeping the boom spam in check and his armoured options did well against Guile's onslaught of light buttons).

It's basically just getting in that I have the most trouble with. Once there it's business as usual, but even with the walk forward + block slow burn strategy I still find myself unable to gain any real ground.

Edzi

Mika and Urien, mostly. I was dicking around with a few other characters in Battle Lounge tonight just to see who I could have the most success with vs. Guile and I seemed to do decently with Birdie too (Bandit Chain is great at keeping the boom spam in check and his armoured options did well against Guile's onslaught of light buttons).

It's basically just getting in that I have the most trouble with. Once there it's business as usual, but even with the walk forward + block slow burn strategy I still find myself unable to gain any real ground.

I'd imagine you could get your offense started once you're in range for Uriens cr.Mk. I think it should also go under his vskill.

I'd imagine you could get your offense started once you're in range for Uriens cr.Mk. I think it should also go under his vskill.

The pushback is a real problem though. Even on hit it takes me out of range of most of my normals, and if the Guile's smart they're not gonna try throwing booms once I'm that close to them.

Backdash can only go so far when gief mash cr.jab in the corner.

Jab AA needs a nerf. The one time I consider going to Ken and fucking Akuma jabs me out in a deep cross up.

Jab should have never been an anti-air to begin with. It's basically impossible to jump in on Necali, Chun, Alex, and a bunch of other characters with little effort needed on their part to take half of your approach avenues away from you.

My opinion is that all AA moves should have 6 frame startup minimum and be more than just a button press if only 6 frames.

It's too late now but I wish this is how it was.

You think that's good huh! watch this......

As for your linked vid, I just think Hagejin had some bad reads in that particular match. I don't think he was outplayed....I was expecting more dominance by the bison going by some of the comments tbh...
You could say that about any loss - reads are a huge part of the game.

Most Bison players find Gief to be a difficult matchup, so we take those wins where we can. Everyone loses sometimes. :)

LOL. I love this video contrasted with all the galtu dickriding
Dickriding? He's the best Bison there is.

If you guys arent watching this prodigy vs coach steve marvel exhibition you really should be.

Where's the link?

This is me every single Laura fight. She just hurts my brain. Can't judge her timing, her movement, nothing.
I fight Laura the same way I fight Guile and Balrog. You just gotta get in once and stay in for as long as possible. It is critical to push them into a corner for so you can get some tick throws or throw loops before they get meter. Balrog and Laura are particularly vulnerable to this and command throw setups on wakeup. Guile is a bit trickier with his EX flash kicks, but at least he didn't and still doesn't have BS meterless reversals to fall back on.
disappeared along with snake eyez
Snake Eyez should come back now that Gief is strong. I know he dropped Alex for Ryu who ultimately got nerfed for S2, but Gief is better than ever. :)
Then how does one explain Alex?
Like we do MvC3 Hsien-Ko.

A mistake
So who's excited for eleven more months of this balance patch?
Balance patches once a year were a mistake.

swiftrage
Backdash can only go so far when gief mash cr.jab in the corner.

Jab AA needs a nerf. The one time I consider going to Ken and fucking Akuma jabs me out in a deep cross up.
Necalli, Juri, Ryu, Akuma, Zangief and Karin/Sim (to a lesser extent) need a second look. It is nuts that only Chun and Alex seem to have lost their light AAs.
Enough SFV, so many Yolo Kens tonight...
It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. There are a lot of things not to like about S2, but the huge drop in Ryu and Ken usage is not one of them. There may be as much BS in S2 as there was in S1, but at least there is a variety of it.

5k challenge
Win a battle with one of the 4 kings on Shadowloo base, Bison, Balrog, Vega or Fang.

Hidden for those who want to hunt this mission..

Grifter

5k challenge
Win a battle with one of the 4 kings on Shadowloo base, Bison, Balrog, Vega or Fang.

Hidden for those who want to hunt this mission..

I think that's 2 challenges in a row where I went to lair of the four kings and not their base first.

1K challenge for trials... aren't they not even updated for S2?

Producer

Necalli, Juri, Ryu, Akuma, Zangief and Karin/Sim (to a lesser extent) need a second look. It is nuts that only Chun and Alex seem to have lost their light AAs.

Yup, it sucks. Now Chuns most reliable AA is ex sbk. But that requires charge, meter, and good timing . People arent afraid to jump in on chun at all it seems now.

nah you're crazy ex2 bison is pretty fun

You can get some cute shit off a guard crush into super and the excel system is so damn goofy everyone can do weird shit, and his teleport is fucking dumb because it shifts the screen, but everyone else has way better general combos.

Unless you can combo into the Psycho Cannon or whatever without losing the damage from charging it.

Mr. X

Yup, it sucks. Now Chuns most reliable AA is ex sbk. But that requires charge, meter, and good timing . People arent afraid to jump in on chun at all it seems now.
Light AAs were honestly a slap on the wrist for badly spaced/timed jumps. At least Chun can fall back on her air to air options since bHK is trash.

mbpm1

Servers are garbage even when I want to play

When I accept matches half the time they don't connect or they connect but then get 40002ed out

kobu

You can get some cute shit off a guard crush into super and the excel system is so damn goofy everyone can do weird shit, and his teleport is fucking dumb because it shifts the screen, but everyone else has way better general combos.

Unless you can combo into the Psycho Cannon or whatever without losing the damage from charging it.

He doesn't have the craziest combos but his cr mk hits from like half screen and his slide is the best it's been in any game. He gets good damage from excel with 2 bars and he has some of the most ambiguous shit off knockdown.

Most of the characters in ex2 have cheap shit so I guess he doesn't really stand out much.

Edzi

Holy. Shit. I'm reaching the end of my patience with Alex's shit buttons. It feels like they're slow on both ends of the attack, they constantly get beat on start up, and then they're crazy easy to whiff punish if I miss in neutral. This shitty excuse for a neutral game might be the final straw.

Who am I kidding, I don't find anyone else in the game nearly as fun. Though tbh, I'm losing a lot of motivation to play the game at all. Maybe I'm just shit, but the way I'm losing with Alex is sucking a lot of fun from the experience. I don't mind losing when it feels like I can take something fromthe match, but it legit feels like he has nothing, no neutral, no cheap gimmicks (the only thing that comes close are his stomp/stun gun headbutts, which are utterly unsafe and can be consistently reacted to by good players), no consistent oki setups, no defensive options (outside of parry I guess, but I don't use his trigger), shit v-reversal, etc... Even when I win most of the time, it usually just feels like it was because the opponent hasn't fought Alex before and doesn't know what he can do OR I just got lucky with a couple guesses, it rarely feels like I'm legitimately outplaying someone else anymore. Dunno what to do, I've tried a good chunk of the cast and I don't see myself sticking with anyone else.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated.

Holy. Shit. I'm reaching the end of my patience with Alex's shit buttons. It feels like they're slow on both ends of the attack, they constantly get beat on start up, and then they're crazy easy to whiff punish if I miss in neutral. This shitty excuse for a neutral game might be the final straw.

Who am I kidding, I don't find anyone else in the game nearly as fun. Though tbh, I'm losing a lot of motivation to play the game at all. Maybe I'm just shit, but the way I'm losing with Alex is sucking a lot of fun from the experience. I don't mind losing when it feels like I can take something fromthe match, but it legit feels like he has nothing, no neutral, no cheap gimmicks (the only thing that comes close are his stomp/stun gun headbutts, which are utterly unsafe and can be consistently reacted to by good players), no consistent oki setups, no defensive options (outside of parry I guess, but I don't use his trigger), shit v-reversal, etc... Even when I win most of the time, it usually just feels like it was because the opponent hasn't fought Alex before and doesn't know what he can do OR I just got lucky with a couple guesses, it rarely feels like I'm legitimately outplaying someone else anymore. Dunno what to do, I've tried a good chunk of the cast and I don't see myself sticking with anyone else.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated.
I feel your pain :(

Also Holy Shit at the fact that it's now 20th January and we STILL have no idea when the rest of the characters are coming out or who the hell they are.

myco666

I feel your pain :(

Also Holy Shit at the fact that it's now 20th January and we STILL have no idea when the rest of the characters are coming out or who the hell they are.

$30 well spent am I right?

Would really appreciate if we even knew the time frame for the character releases. Don't really care who they are though.

What a loveley day, got my first ever arcade fight stick with the post and SFV goes on sale :D

I bought the version that inclufes season 1 character pass. Yet I cant use any of those character egen Im in vs mode. How do I unlock them?

Time to play through all story / survival modes Im thrilled to see which character I Will like and dislike. As a Tekken guy, this Will be my first SF experience. Although I played SF on the snes as a kid and seen the movie multiple Times, including today ^_^

I bought the version that inclufes season 1 character pass. Yet I cant use any of those character egen Im in vs mode. How do I unlock them?
Only the account that purchased the season pass can use them.

If you are using the same account, just update the game to the latest version and go online at least once. After that, all purchased content will be readily available for use even when you're offline.

Keep in mind though, that you only get Fight Money and EXperience by completing the activities while online. There's no reason to do any of the story stuff if you're not online.

For more information on FM, how it works and how to get it, check the OP.
Perhaps Capcom also doesn't know yet ?

$30 well spent am I right?

Would really appreciate if we even knew the time frame for the character releases. Don't really care who they are though.
I'd be fine with knowing when they're coming or who they are/how they play. I don't need to know both since even 1 will be enough to get the hype going.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Urien players seem to hate the following fights

Cammy
Fang
Vega (faster and longer pokes, faster on ground)
Guile

He beats Gief, Dhalsim and Alex no doubt.

Last season, Urien vs Gief was way better than 6-4.

Vegas long pokes are shorter than Uriens(buster claw excepted, but that move is ass), and the same speed. He DOES have far faster walkspeed though.

MrCarter

SFV season pass is £7.99 on EU store which is around £1.30 each to get 6 characters and their premium battle costumes. Also comes with an exclusive PS4 theme and colours 3-10 for the 6 2016 DLC character’s default costumes. Not a bad deal at all for anyone thinking of trying out these characters.

Sayad

Urien players seem to hate the following fights

Cammy
Fang
Vega (faster and longer pokes, faster on ground)
Guile

He beats Gief, Dhalsim and Alex no doubt.

Last season, Urien vs Gief was way better than 6-4.
Vega match up was a pain in S1 but it's way more manageable now, don't think it's that much of a bad match up, if at all!

- Vega's slide was pretty easy to be made safe on block in S1 since Urien's fastest attack is a 4f, now it's punishable from all ranges due to 2 additional recovery frames.

- Vega's j.LK was really hard to deal with especially on cross up, your best options against deep jump ins were either jump back j.LP or cr.MP to low profile and move outside its range. Urien's st.HK now AA it fine even when Vega crosses you up, st.HK buff make it way more effective at shutting down Flying Barcelona mixups too.

- Urien's lack of cross up and Vega's walk speed meant Vega can just walk behind when you neutral jump(and even on jump ins from certain angels), this was infuriating whenever it happened, he could get a beefy punish from this. Now Urien has a cross up... That only work if Vega is standing but still an improvement.

- It's harder to avoid Urien's slower projectile without full animation VSkill now due to the nerf, between this and Vega's ex roll nerf, Urien's fireballs are more useful in the match up now.

- Vega's claw normals were buffed, but Urien's normal are much stronger now too, it's actually really hard for Vega to keep up with Urien in neutral without the claw.

lupinko

SFV season pass is £7.99 on EU store which is around £1.30 each to get 6 characters and their premium battle costumes. Also comes with an exclusive PS4 theme and colours 3-10 for the 6 2016 DLC character’s default costumes. Not a bad deal at all for anyone thinking of trying out these characters.

2016 Season Pass also gives Guile's stage too.

I wonder if Capcom is ever going to mention Linux / Steam OS support again ('coming soon', Dec 2015), or if they are just hoping that everyone has forgotten about that promise. Not that I think it would be particularly worthwhile endeavor at this point, but it would be cool.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Servers are garbage even when I want to play

When I accept matches half the time they don't connect or they connect but then get 40002ed out
I've been getting 1 bar matches presented to me despite filtering for 4 or 5. 3 bars used to be the lowest I'd ever see. This just started recently, but I also changed ISPs so I can't say for sure that it's Capcom's fault. (It's Capcom's fault.)

Sayad

Vegas claw normals were buffed? What changed?
mp claw and cr.mp claw didn't get hit by the semi universal slower mp normals nerf. ;p
That and every st/cr claw attack except cr.hp either got more frame advantage on block, on hit or more active frames.

ElFly

have we discussed the last capcom tier list

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/stats/dia

pls nerf........ BISON?!?!

also buff.....CAMMY?!??!

I wonder how this looked at the end of S1. maybe that explains things

edit: wait that has a combobox for dates, and the current tier list is for december 2016, including some S1 days. WTF

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how this looked at the end of S1. maybe that explains things
Change it under "term" to november and october.

Bison is a beginner killer. It's often forgotten, but tiers depend on skill. They look very different for lower skilled players.
That's also why Ryu and Ken are so low, because those are the characters beginners often use.

Did anyone here successfully buy all of the 2017 characters with FM? I bought the 2016 season pass, have Akuma (bought with FM), and currently have like 150k in FM. I've done all the character stories, a couple of easy survivals, only completed 3 of the trials. Have not completed the full story mode yet. I'm hoping I can get all the remaining characters this year without paying more money and even have some FM to buy stages at some point. Is that doable? I try to do all of the weekly challenges also.

I know if I do everything I'll have enough, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do all of the hard/extreme survivals with every character. Maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky. If I need to do all of those I'd just buy the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom