• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street FIghter V reaches 4k entrants for EVO!!!!!

Daft Punk

Banned
Thank you to the mod who stopped the cheap jabs. Getting sick and tired of coming into a SFV thread and it's full of people trying to comedians. On topic though, 4K entrants? Anyone going and is decent is bound to run into a few wins in pools.

Shadoken

I think peak concurrent viewership might reach 250k or even 300. SF4 was able to pull around 150k peak. If they can get a good time frame to stream SF5 , it should do pretty big numbers.

If Capcom can win back casuals with the story mode patch in June , hopefully we can get a season 2 next year.

Baleoce

I think the worst logistical thing about this is making sure that every machine in the venue is managed in terms of deleting previously connected controllers.

trust me 2.2k is lot. It's probably bigger than any esports when it comes to entrants. I don't think even biggest esports games like LoL or CS go gets entrants of this magnitude. I could be wrong though i dont watch those.

??? I thought 4K is pretty big for any tournament. Whats the number of entrants like for other events?

I was under the same impression , the other games that are bigger than SF like Lol,CS..etc dont really have any "Open" tournaments that anyone can enter. I believe EVO held the previous record for largest eSport event by participants ( Thought I think that counted all the games it hosted ).

lol what number do you expect man

a 100 entrant tournament is pretty big, let alone thousands

yeah, sorry there a bit tired and had a brain fart. im confusing entrants with viewership of the likes of dota 2 and what not lol

LeleSocho

Banned
Wow first post really got banned for that? SMH it was a good and very light joke
SF not having stellar sales must burn really bad for some of you people...

I wonder if the numbers at Evo will be this high only for SF5 because of the new game hype or the other games will grow as much as well.

I think the worst logistical thing about this is making sure that every machine in the venue is managed in terms of deleting previously connected controllers.

Yes.

This is an issue that needs addressing and I've had it screw up a tournament match myself.

Deciding game, last round: controller disconnect prompt appears. Found the dude who left his controller on after about 5 minutes, we restarted the match and dude came back in the set to win it.

I wasn't salty only because I knew I had no fucking clue how to play SFV.

But this is gonna be a hilarious blowup this year.

Skilletor

Wow first post really got banned for that? SMH it was a good and very light joke

I wonder if the numbers at Evo will be this high only for SF5 because of the new game hype or the other games will grow as much as well.

It burns really bad when it's repeated ad nauseum in any thread about the game, yeah.

And no, other games aren't doubling entrants from previous years. Pokken is doing really well, though.

Daft Punk

Banned

The fact that you think it's acceptable to come into a thread about a tournament and shitpost just for giggles speaks volumes.

Really hyped for Evo. I'm kind of hoping Infiltration wins every major this year. Great story. Great guy. But would also love to see Tokido take it for that comeback story.

Jotaka

Everyone who owns the game applied for it?

Massa
Banned
(Today, 04:53 PM)
m5N1JF5.gif

KingT

Neo Member
Although this is the first SF game that I didn't buy since SF 2, I am happy that the game exceeded in one of the main goals in attracting tournament players.

Shadoken

I hope Capcom fking patches in that Legacy controller support so you dont need to use a DS4. That would help a ton.

The entire 2nd page was basically derailed , with the usual "Savage" and "Brilliant" posts from people who dont give a rats ass about this game or this record.

Am surprised it got back on course with people talking about EVO.

So Infiltration is gonna win this. BUT...

Either he dominates like he did in 2012 against Daigo.

OR...

Nash gets figured out and so he pulls an insane pocket character like he did against PR Rog

One or the other.

Kazunoko claimed the Japanese figured him out at Red Bull kumite , but then they got bodied anyway.

It's crazy how fast the competitive scene in fighting games in growing. In 2010 there were only 1,700 entrants in all of EVO.

It kind of is, but it's also not a surprise when just a couple of years ago a company like Amazon was paying just shy of a billion dollars for Twitch. That was confirmation if confirmation was needed that eSports (or whatever other name people want to call this so as to avoid the silly "is it really a sport?" debate) are getting big. I mean, EVO may never be anywhere near as big as the Super Bowl, but these are legitimate events now. I'm not saying the sky's the limit and it'll just keep growing at this pace, but for now I think there's a nice cycle going on where increased viewership will increase participation and so on. Just yesterday Bud Light was getting into the eSports game (though not fighting games).

I think a contributing factor could be how the game was marketed to that audience, as well as promoted by an official tournament tour.

I think it's just the fact that SFV is essentially a "reset" for competition.

SFIV as big as it was, was also an old game. It was a ship that already sailed.

Kikujiro

I think peak concurrent viewership might reach 250k or even 300. SF4 was able to pull around 150k peak. If they can get a good time frame to stream SF5 , it should do pretty big numbers.

If Capcom can win back casuals with the story mode patch in June , hopefully we can get a season 2 next year.

SFIV last year had a peak of 250k viewers, SFV this year will do more than.

LeleSocho

Banned
The fact that you think it's acceptable to come into a thread about a tournament and shitpost just for giggles speaks volumes.

I'm just noting that SF people are way more sensible when talking about this... i never saw this kind of backlash for a joke when talking about VF/Tekken/KoF etc.
...now that to me speaks volume.

Yeah. I'm way out of my element here as I'm not very good at any version of Street Fighter, but I have to imagine that part of the appeal is that you're kind of in a blue ocean again with a lot yet to be discovered about a new game. Granted, the cream will still rise, but I have to imagine that it's more "anybody's game" than USFIV.

Mizerman

It gets stupid when repeated over and over again. Especially in any thread about the game.

I'm just noting that SF people are way more sensible when talking about this... i never saw this kind of backlash for a joke when talking about VF/Tekken/KoF etc.
...now that to me speaks volume.

Oh, when Soul Calibur V was around, MANY jokes were had at its expense.

it burns really bad when it's repeated ad nauseum in any thread about the game, yeah.

And no, other games aren't doubling entrants from previous years. Pokken is doing really well, though.
where were these people talking about “it’s a joke” the joke has been repeated, reiterated, and posted verbatim in like 20 SF threads over the past month? lol...like what, you’re still laughing? ummm...ok

annoying first 2 pages...

I’ll just stick to SFVOT I guess.

Anyone congrats to Pokken and especially SFV, this Evo should really be the biggest one ever.

Yeah. I'm way out of my element here as I'm not very good at any version of Street Fighter, but I have to imagine that part of the appeal is that you're kind of in a blue ocean again with a lot yet to be discovered about a new game. Granted, the cream will still rise, but I have to imagine that it's more "anybody's game" than USFIV.
so far the tournies have shown that there is potential for someone to come in and blow up a lot of the top players. Obviously the tokido and infiltration still always rise to the top but a good example is bigbird in the last one.

LeleSocho

Banned

Very good observation, tournaments got big only midway SF4 life and some people just didn't jump on it because of that.

LeleSocho

Banned
Damn really?

Can SFV really hit over 300-400k though? That would literally be very close to the number of people that own the game.

I think if Capcom plays their cards well in number of views the game could surpass LoL/Dota numbers in a year or two, it's a product way more understandable for the masses so it's bound to have higher views than the mobas.

Shadoken

You know this because?

Only official numbers we have are opening sales from 3 regions. U.S/JP/UK

You are right , I meant it would be very close to opening sales figures. Not what it could be now. Though since it hasnt been on NPD for a while , I dont think it has gotten any big gains.

Top Bottom