• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street FIghter V reaches 4k entrants for EVO!!!!!

Baleoce

Damn really?

Can SFV really hit over 300-400k though? That would literally be very close to the number of people that own the game.

My instinct reply to that would be "I don't think every viewer necessarily plays the game", but it's got me interested to know in general what tournament viewership makes up in playerbase percentage.

Also there's the fact it's EVO. It's a spectacle in itself. People will just watch. And it seems to be getting more mainstream media attention each year.

Shadoken

I think if Capcom plays their cards well in number of views the game could surpass LoL/Dota numbers in a year or two, it's a product way more understandable for the masses so it's bound to have higher views than the mobas.

The current twitch record is around 1m concurrent for CS GO I believe?

If SFV magically hits 500k this year , then yea I can see it coming up and beating LoL/Dota despite smaller player base.

ethomaz

Banned
Damn really?

Can SFV really hit over 300-400k though? That would literally be very close to the number of people that own the game.
US + UK + JP + PC > 500k already without console digital and JP and UK having outdated numbers.

It is over 700k WW and I won't be surprised if it is close to 1m.

Shadoken

My instinct reply to that would be "I don't think every viewer necessarily plays the game", but it's got me interested to know in general what tournament viewership makes up in playerbase percentage..

You are right about that , but a combination of

a) EVO/Twitch/eSports Growing huge

and

b) SFV alienating its casual audience

leads me to believe that pretty much everyone playing the game right now are interested in Tournaments and FGC.

he is talking about twitch viewers. Relax bro no need to get so defensive. Shows your insecurity of low SFV sales.
Brah, I’m always in Sales GAF thread, I follow numbers, it’s interesting conversation to me. I’m following Ratchet as well.

I went through a white knight phase championing a game, don’t be stupid and over critique every post I make to have some agenda. We don’t know official sales WW yet period.

EDIT: and you misinterpreted his post -_- He’s talking about twitch viewers compared to sales.

Thank you to the mod who stopped the cheap jabs. Getting sick and tired of coming into a SFV thread and it's full of people trying to comedians. On topic though, 4K entrants? Anyone going and is decent is bound to run into a few wins in pools.

I'm pumped for evo this year but i'm torn about the number of entries. It's exciting to see so many people pumped for the game. I'm certainly entering next year.

However, with so many entrants (and climbing), I think that you shouldn't be allowed to compete unless you've got a certain number of points from your locals or other authorized CPT Tourney, or, pay a much higher fee to participate at EVO. 4000 is a LOT of people, and not all of it will be streamed, right? I'd rather trim the fat than pummel the tourney by volume.

Now money fights and non-sanctioned hotel battles? Heck yeah.

You are right , I meant it would be very close to opening sales figures. Not what it could be now. Though since it hasnt been on NPD for a while , I dont think it has gotten any big gains.
yeah, it could be...I think it’s around 700-800K but shipped over a million already.

Those nations consist of like 80% of world-wide console videogame sales.
yea, that’s the bulk of sales no doubt. Just iterating we won’t know WW until Capcom gives us ship numbers and hopefully sold through sales, I think next month.

I wasn't on teh internets for two days so sorry if that was already known, but Capcom has probably shipped around 1 million copies of SFV, as expected from the different reports by GFK, NPD or Media Create.

Capcom fiscal report isn't coming until two weeks, but Capcom says in this press release
This latest installment brought cumulative total shipments for the series to 38 million units world-wide (as of March 31, 2016), showcasing the global appeal of the property.

And looking at the sales data of Capcom, the Street Figher game series was at 37 million on December 31 2015, so that's around 1 million up.

LeleSocho

Banned
The current twitch record is around 1m concurrent for CS GO I believe?

If SFV magically hits 500k this year , then yea I can see it coming up and beating LoL/Dota despite smaller player base.

Yeah imho it could even beat that, in a SF match one video feed is enough to see what is happening and everything can be easily explained on the fly while other genres like FPS and MOBAs the information you get is always limited.
Fighting games in general have an huge pool in potential viewers base.

Nori Chan

That's a lot of scrubby Kens

Everyone who owns the game applied for it?
combofiend-o.gif

This is quite the
fiasco

maybe you should be banned for this pun

I wasn't on teh internets for two days so sorry if that was already known, but Capcom has probably shipped around 1 million copies of SFV, as expected from the different reports by GFK, NPD or Media Create.

Capcom fiscal report isn't coming until two weeks, but Capcom says in this press release

And looking at the sales data of Capcom, the Street Figher game series was at 37 million on December 31 2015, so that's around 1 million up.
Yeah, they definitely shipped over a million by now, just have no idea what the sold-through numbers are or how slow it’s doing WW every month. I think someone predicted 30K in U.S for March or something based on where it was in charts etc...

Shadoken

US + UK + JP + PC > 500k already without console digital and JP and UK having outdated numbers.

It is over 700k WW and I won't be surprised if it is close to 1m.

Brah, I’m always in Sales GAF thread, I follow numbers, it’s interesting conversation to me. I’m following Ratchet as well.

I went through a white knight phase championing a game, don’t be stupid and over critique every post I make to have some agenda. We don’t know official sales WW yet period.

Even if the sales are at 700k or 1m WW. The fact that 40-50% of the people are watching the Tournament is a pretty big.

If Capcom can increase sales while maintaining this ratio. It would be a huge growth to the FGC.

16BitNova

Seems like I picked a good first EVO to attend. I will not make it very far, probably 0-2, but I really want to watch the hype matches live!

Yeah imho it could even beat that, in a SF match one video feed is enough to see what is happening and everything can be easily explained on the fly while other genres like FPS and MOBAs the information you get is always limited.
Fighting games in general have an huge pool in potential viewers base.

As much as I wish SFV would get League Twitch viewership, this is super unlikely. I'd be impressed if it broke 200k, honestly. I adore the game, but the reality is that when you look at twitch on ANY given day, it's not even in the top 10 games being watched. Only doing big tourneys like the norcal regionals, and even then it barely made it past 118k.

If SFV was bringing in those kinds of numbers, the prize pool would be huge and it would be considered one of the big esports. As is, on any given day, Halo and CoD kills it, sadly.

I wish I knew of a way to make it more watchable for mainstream. SFV is an incredible game. It's absolutely made for the FGC, though.

Even if the sales are at 700k or 1m WW. The fact that 40-50% of the people are watching the Tournament is a pretty big.

If Capcom can increase sales while maintaining this ratio. It would be a huge growth to the FGC.

Have to remember a lot of people(or maybe some, no actual numbers there) watch games they don't own too. I watched SFIV and SC2 tournaments every now and then especially the big ones, and I don't own either(well I have the 2nd SC2 game and the first version of SFIV that I didn't play a whole lot). I watched last weekend's SFV tournaments even though I have no plan to ever buy the game. It's a fun game to watch, I just don't care about playing fighting games.

So sales numbers and viewer numbers aren't necessarily proportional.

16BitNova

As much as I wish SFV would get League Twitch viewership, this is super unlikely. I'd be impressed if it broke 200k, honestly. I adore the game, but the reality is that when you look at twitch on ANY given day, it's not even in the top 10 games being watched. Only doing big tourneys like the norcal regionals, and even then it barely made it past 118k.

If SFV was bringing in those kinds of numbers, the prize pool would be huge and it would be considered one of the big esports. As is, on any given day, Halo and CoD kills it, sadly.

I wish I knew of a way to make it more watchable for mainstream. SFV is an incredible game. It's absolutely made for the FGC, though.

I'm fairly sure that SFIV broke 200k viewers last EVO. EVO is only getting bigger, I wouldn't be surprised if it reached AT LEAST 300k for SFV this year.

Yeah it is, I’m still surprised at Evo being 4K. And btw, I meant no hostility in the post, I’ll be tracking SFV numbers for a while because I genuinely want to see how Capcom’s plan rolls out. They basically did a Killer Instinct release at full price, I think that’s a very different model to try out. Obviously, launch was less than stellar, but I’m keen to see how much money this makes over the coming years.

And even with twitch and stuff, it’s starting to put money into pockets of streamers and pro players. Just a fascinating business model for me.

Shadoken

SF4 already broke 250k at EVO.

Norcal Regionals is not as big as EVO. The fact that it was doing 118k itself is a pretty big achievement.

Fighting games only peak during tourneys , because honestly outside of Infiltration I dont find any of the streamers all that entertaining to watch. Unlike MOBAS where the majority of the daily viewership comes from Famous streamers ( Not limited to pros )

Gren

I'm pumped for evo this year but i'm torn about the number of entries. It's exciting to see so many people pumped for the game. I'm certainly entering next year.

However, with so many entrants (and climbing), I think that you shouldn't be allowed to compete unless you've got a certain number of points from your locals or other authorized CPT Tourney, or, pay a much higher fee to participate at EVO. 4000 is a LOT of people, and not all of it will be streamed, right? I'd rather trim the fat than pummel the tourney by volume.

Now money fights and non-sanctioned hotel battles? Heck yeah.

But then they'd be alienating those without strong local scenes/primarily online players.

So long as the Evo staff believes they can manage, they should just leave the floodgates open. If anything, they could institute a first come, first serve cap on entrants, with reserved spots for seeds & the usual suspects.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, they definitely shipped over a million by now, just have no idea what the sold-through numbers are or how slow it’s doing WW every month. I think someone predicted 30K in U.S for March or something based on where it was in charts etc...
It did ~60k in March NPD (digital not included).

Yeah. I'm way out of my element here as I'm not very good at any version of Street Fighter, but I have to imagine that part of the appeal is that you're kind of in a blue ocean again with a lot yet to be discovered about a new game. Granted, the cream will still rise, but I have to imagine that it's more "anybody's game" than USFIV.

To add to your post about Twitch, if someone was a kid in middle school during the early days of SF4, only able to watch street fighter on the internet and not participate, that kid is now a young adult who can travel by his own means.

oh btw, another similar launch to SFV seems like Paragon, they might be doing the model even better.

Paragon I believe will be a free download title, just like all the big MOBA, but a $60 retail version will release of course with a bunch of content. It will no doubt be marketing as over $200 worth of in-game content and be the “premier" release or whatever, but I’m interested to see if that takes off.

J.D

Capcom released SF5 for the FGC.
The knew there would be a backlash. They knew casuals wouldn't like it as much. They knew reviews would be hard on the game because of the lack of 1p content. They took a bullet for us.

I'm really glad we're showing them it was worth it. They are building a platform for the game. Think about how CS:GO was received on its first year and compare it to how it is now. I expect SF5 to grow in a similar fashion. Casuals will come later.

Thank you for believing in us Capcom! We won't let you down!

Getting banned for an harmless joke isn't right people.

Diluting the whole thread with a cheesy one liner that adds absolutely nothing to the conversation and makes the thread go on a tangent for 3 pages is completely ban worth IMO.

It was due to frequency of said Joke as well as the first thing he posted/beginning of the thread etc... Context sir...it’s a thing

Also, I am hopping off the infiltration train, go Tokido!

Skilletor

This thread is about a huge milestone for the FGC and tournaments for fighting games.

Half of the posts are arguing about the stupid joke (one that has been repeated in almost every thread about the game in some form or another). Now the thread is about the joke, people responding to the joke, and some people talking about this amazing achievement.

That's shitty.

I really can't wait for Tekken 7. That's a game I'll be taking very seriously. I also want to get into GG. When does the new game drop?
Guilty Gear Revolator drops in early June (the actually date escaped my mind). However, pre-ordering it on PSN will give you access to a "demo" that offers most of the cast (legit almost everybody except a couple new characters), arcade mode, versus mode (offline, against player or cpu), and training mode. Basically, it's meant for people to practice for EVO with the arcade version of the game.

Skilletor

Think they'll make pools larger to eliminate more people going into the same day?

They're usually 16 man pools, right? Maybe they'll bump that to 24 or 32?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Everyone who owns the game applied for it?

No, just everybody who kept playing it

Cfc1s.gif

Just know while you two are on the other side some folks found these funny and knew they were jokes.

Shadoken said:

What would be huge growth for the game itself would be easing players in with offline modes. But you know... Capcom, screwed up, etc. We've been down this road. We'll see if Evo attracts new players, but if Capcom doesn't have modes that'll ease them in beyond "get your ass stomped dry-online" they won't retain.

Skilletor

What would be huge growth for the game itself would be easing players in with offline modes. But you know... Capcom, screwed up, etc. We've been down this road. We'll see if Evo attracts new players, but if Capcom doesn't have modes that'll ease them in beyond "get your ass stomped dry-online" they won't retain.

4000 people are entering a tourney for a single game. Viewership is up. Tournament attendance is up.

It is attracting new players.

SFV will hit close to 5k. FR got well over 1k which is absurd even for a major.

Drive by posting isn't right people.

As you can see it's already hijacked about a third of the thread, yourself included.

JeTmAn81

I think last year it was around 2000 for USFIV (which was probably a record high for a single game), so that's a 100% increase. Pretty crazy.

Mika player for 1st! The return of the Elena Salt!

I'm just noting that SF people are way more sensible when talking about this... i never saw this kind of backlash for a joke when talking about VF/Tekken/KoF etc.
...now that to me speaks volume.

This is what the Dark Souls 2 thread showed in reverse: it's this peanut gallery playing at correcting a clueless fanboy demographic that has barely existed since February.

It's either bottom-tier trolling or trying to salt the earth for its sales as
/if (lets face it, it is still Capcpom leadershit in charge of V here)
the updates continue in on their long-stated path and sales happen.

I'm guessing its rightly fair game in the sales threads (on topic and all that) as no one got thumped for it there (and the jokes were better). It ain't exactly rocket surgery.

You wont if you buy this shirt lmao.

red-prayer_large.jpg

This hits...too close. lol

But yeah, have alternate plans and goals, cuz a ton of folks get this.

EVO this year might be like one of those World Series of Poker tournaments just after the poker popularity explosion - tons of people trying to get in on a gold rush and a lot of nobodies knocking out veterans
who get salty as fuck as a result
. EVO will be great viewing this year

I hope for the spoiler, Phil Helmuth style rants from vets would be hilarious
let the salt flow, evo will be insane

4000 people are entering a tourney for a single game. Viewership is up. Tournament attendance is up.

It is attracting new players.

Viewership is not up, it's the same or less than when Ultra dropped. NLBC has significantly less viewers each week than when Ultra launched.

Shadoken

Viewership is not up, it's the same or less than when Ultra dropped. NLBC has significantly less viewers each weak than when Ultra launched.

Final Round and NCR are definitely up compared to last year.

NCR hitting 118k itself is just fkin amazing ( it had less than 500 players ). Especially when just a few years back , everyone was rejoicing over UMvC3 hitting 100k at EVO.

I hope for the spoiler, Phil Helmuth style rants from vets would be hilarious
let the salt flow, evo will be insane

That happened iirc back after SF IV got big in 2009/10. A few people would be like "OMG why are Daigo, Valle, and J-Wong all in the same pool!?!? and most vets from what I saw took it as the new reality. Young guns and welcoming in new blood and all that.

Top Bottom