• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - Reviews Thread

LiK

79 right now. SFV is probably the worst scoring mainline SF (other than 1). This lackluster reception is gonna do wonders to attract new players or to make the game profitable. Such a shame.

it's basically an unfinished game at this point. Jeff is right, should've been a March release with all those updates.

Momentary

Banned
79 right now. SFV is probably the worst scoring mainline SF (other than 1). This lackluster reception is gonna do wonders to attract new players or to make the game profitable. Such a shame.

They had to get this game out for the Pro Tour and all that jazz don't you understand!? Jeeze!

What a stupid ass reason to rush the game.

Lgndryhr

They claim they want to attract new and casuals but push game out for Capcom Pro Tour. Makes no sense.

I am enjoying the game regardless, but I cannot recommend it to everyone right now.

Tripon

That's not really the reason. The reason is that they had a sales target of 2 million copies sold by the end of March.
Thinking about it, the pro tour had to be a consideration. Street Fighter as a brand is handled and controlled by Capcom of America, which has also created and maintained the pro tour. While Capcom of Japan could overrule Capcom of America, I'm not sure they would unless it was warranted.

Thinking about it, the pro tour had to be a consideration. Street Fighter as a brand is handled and controlled by Capcom of America, which has also created and maintained the pro tour. While Capcom of Japan could overrule Capcom of America, I'm not sure they would unless it was warranted.

To be fair, I'm not saying that it's not a consideration at all. But it's just that in this day and age, there are more options to get a game out into the hands of players than just a full retail release. Early Access has been commonplace on Steam for some time, and has even become possible on PS4 in the recent past. You have that option to allow people who just want to play the game now and don't care about the single player content if delaying the pro tour isn't a good option. It's just that you're certainly not going to hit those kinds of ambitious sales targets before the end of the fiscal year in Early Access.

tariniel

I think people being mad at the server issues is totally reasonable, they had 4 betas to prepare for this kind of thing and deserve the assblasting they got for it.

But it's a competitive fighting game, and if you're leaving low scores because it's missing an arcade mode, then you should have done more research into what the game was before buying it. The core fighting experience the game has is impeccable and is one of the most fun fighters I've ever played.

Momentary

Banned
That's not really the reason. The reason is that they had a sales target of 2 million copies sold by the end of March.

That is still a horrible reason to release a half-baked game. They could have released this and had EARLY ACCESS (GRAB EARLY TO GET THE JUMP IN TOURNAMENTS). I think that would calmed some folks down about this.

Asd202

Man that's low compared to even broken release like MKX. Capcom need some PR move ASAP. Probably free season pass or something. Cause financially it's not looking too promising.....

I don't think free season pass would help. People want SP content right now. The best thing that they could do is illustrate the free updates and how much it will add to the game and hope for the best later on as the core gameplay is fantastic.

I don't think free season pass would help. People want SP content right now.
That ain't coming for a while. I wonder what can capcom do to turn things around here or have they buried their own future already by releasing the product in this current state all for the sake of cpt.

SkylineRKR

Its funny, I found SFIV to be much more difficult and intimidating, but its promotion and content was catered towards everyone. SFIV was a mainstream hit. Ofcourse the long hiatus contributed to this and since we've been terrorized by loads of SFIV upgrades so SFV would never be as much of a shock.

SFV on the other hand is more accessible (less meter management, smaller roster, no one frame links etc) but its lack of content does absolutely hurt this game, bad word of mouth spreads and reviews aren't stellar. There is zero reason for casuals to buy this game.

The road map that ProjectJustice seemed to be so obsessive about is rather well known I think, yes, March is Alex and lobbies, yes April is Guile(?)... story is in June... we fucking know. Its just that the actual launch product was barren beyond everyones worst expectations. And the servers didn't function properly (still don't) after 4 betas + losing survival when booted offline + not scoring FM offline even in SP mode + rage quits not punished + etc.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm not into fighters at all, so kind of looking at the backlash regarding content with an outsider perspective, but would the game have been received better with say a "Core" Pro tournament version releasing in Feb @ $35-40 (what we have now it seems), and two DLC add ons releasing @ $15 a piece between March and June covering more content and the SP campaign?

No doubt that Capcom would stand to not make as much money in the short term, but perhaps better for the game's rep in the long term? (and releasing a full $60 version in June .. Kinda GT5-like with GT5 prologue I guess)

It deserves a score in the high seventies because it's a good game with very little to do. The fact that the player needs to play all difficulties of survival mode (I consider myself a hardcore fighting game player and I can't even get past hard) just to get costume colors is crazy. The fact that we need to do this for every coming alt is even crazier. Capcom shipped the game with nothing but 1v1 online and 1v1 local play taken into consideration. Most mid size companies would never launch a game in such a state and small/indie fighting game companies would be risking getting shut down.
I don't think free season pass would help. People want SP content right now. The best thing that they could do is illustrate the free updates and how much it will add to the game and hope for the best later on as the core gameplay is fantastic.
Yeah...

DLC characters are great single player content, but until we get something besides survival mode the complaints will continue.

Mokubba

Yea, something like the Driveclub updates but when you launch the game.

1446471308-media.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The legs on this have completely collapsed before even coming into existence on PC if SteamSpy is to be believed, 2k today and still not over 100k.
Steamspy is always 3 days behind, so the game is probably still recovering from refunds...

Hasney

The legs on this have completely collapsed before even coming into existence on PC if SteamSpy is to be believed, 2k today and still not over 100k.

It's still the fastest selling Street Fighter on PC ever, which is pretty funny.

It's had more players online concurrently even after launch day than Ultra Street Fighter IV, which at its peak got 5.5k... On a free weekend where anyone could download.

This pretty much seems to be the size of the audience for Capcom fighters on PC.

Wallach

It's still the fastest selling Street Fighter on PC ever, which is pretty funny.

It's had more players online concurrently even after launch day than Ultra Street Fighter IV, which at its peak got 5.5k... On a free weekend where anyone could download.

This pretty much seems to be the size of the audience for Capcom fighters on PC.

It's definitely a smaller market on PC for the fighting genre still. Shit like what NRS pulled with MKX doesn't help. Hopefully KI has a decent launch next month on W10.

black070

I understand why reviewers are docking points for the games lack of content, since they have to review the game based on what's on the shipped disc - but I'm a little confused as to why a lot of gamers on here are up in arms about it.

It's not like you're having to pay for these updates if you've already purchased the game, and if you haven't, you can simply wait for the updates to be released before jumping in.

joecanada

I think people being mad at the server issues is totally reasonable, they had 4 betas to prepare for this kind of thing and deserve the assblasting they got for it.

But it's a competitive fighting game, and if you're leaving low scores because it's missing an arcade mode, then you should have done more research into what the game was before buying it. The core fighting experience the game has is impeccable and is one of the most fun fighters I've ever played.

people shouldn't rate the game based on their expectations? Just take what they got and review what they were given?

That's sure not how I review things.

Garlador

I understand why reviewers are docking points for the games lack of content, since they have to review the game based on what's on the shipped disc - but I'm a little confused as to why a lot of gamers on here are up in arms about it.

It's not like you're having to pay for these updates if you've already purchased the game, and if you haven't, you can simply wait for the updates to be released before jumping in.

Mostly just a loss of faith in the industry at large. Capcom is asking for $60 upfront with the promise that it'll deliver the goods at a future date. Whether they do or do not is irrelevant as it creates and encourages the practice of releasing an incomplete game at full price before content is finished and ready and asking players to trust them that it'll come eventually.

While Street Fighter V might pull that off, other companies could jump on that bandwagon and drop the ball. It's the same as $40 Season Passes that you pay for and then you get insubstantial amounts of content in the end (like Batman: Arkham Knight). Or a company releases an incomplete game with promises of future support but the game doesn't sell to expectations and that support is dropped, leaving the game incomplete or with weak support.

And empty promises for future content that may or may not be met does nothing to absolve the disappointment and lack of content casual players who ponied up $60 day 1 have to deal with now, especially when competing games offer far more value on retail shelves.

I admit, myself, I don't like the idea of an incomplete, Early Access-esque game releasing like a full-featured, full-priced game with an untrustworthy company with notorious anti-consumer practices giving us "their word" that they'll deliver the real goods months after launch.

Stuff like Arcade Mode and Vs. CPU are modes that have been in practically every single fighting game ever made, including Street Fighter, for nearly three decades. It's not unreasonable to expect it and it's unreasonable to expect millions of people to research a game to find a basic feature that has been in the genre since its inception is missing.

Top Bottom