• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll wait until I know the mechanics before really saying who I want in, though I like just about every character the franchise has put out. It's a pretty impossible task. A new group similar to how 3rd strike did things would be amazing, but I doubt that happens.

I'd like to see SFV launch with sixteen characters (four new, twelve old):

1. Ryu
  2. Ken
  3. Chun Li
  4. Guile
  5. Sagat
  6. Bison
  7. Cammy
  8. Akuma
  9. Alex
  10. Makoto
  11. Abel
  12. Juri
  13. Haggar (new)
  14. NEW
  15. NEW
  16. NEW

It's likely we'll eventually get most of the Ultra Street Fighter IV cast to push the roster well above forty, but I'm a fan of starting small and easing into the new gameplay mechanics.

Also, I love Street Fighter and love SFIII: Third Strike, but the quirky (mostly new) cast absolutely played a role in its poor reception. I understand why series diehards want those characters to return but I don't see it happening at the expense of more recognizable characters.

Hmm

Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
Makoto
Juri
Hakkan
Dhalsim
M. Bison
Akuma
Ibuki
Rolento
Oro
Elena
Rufus
Poison
Cammy

That's prolly the minimum of what I'd want for the roster, I suppose.

Should just get rid of Ken. Everything is fine then.

image.php

The f***?

FranXico

I don't know about which old characters should bow out.

Whoever the final boss is, please, for the love of god, do not make a cheap boss!

I hope SFIII style parry makes a return.

correojon

I hope they do a Garou : get rid of all the cast except maybe Ryu and introduce 10 totally new characters (no Shotos or replacements). The inevitable updates will bring back the main cast gradually, but this way SFV will look as something truly new. Between the visual style and an hypothetical reused cast it may look like an update more than a new SF.

I hope they do a Garou : get rid of all the cast except maybe Ryu and introduce 10 totally new characters (no Shotos or replacements). The inevitable updates will bring back the main cast gradually, but this way SFV will look as something truly new. Between the visual style and an hypothetical reused cast it may look like an update more than a new SF.

They tried that before and it didn't work out well for them. Roster refreshes can work though (see Tekken 3; possibly the most successful fighting game ever) and hopefully with Sony's backing they can try new things.

We'll see.

remz

It is probably unrealistic but geez a fresh roster would be amazing.

I don't mind if they keep a couple of the mainstays. Maybe even a few more then the Chun/Ryu/Akuma/Ken that made it to SF3 but please, please can they not drag the entire cast of SF2 into the game.

I know these old characters have fans, but I feel like a a lot of the time some of the older characters are product of the times, in terms of visuals, moves and they way they fit into newer games feel weird.

I think it'd be better if the general style was preserved and presented with a fresh take ala SF3. Like Remy being a Guile with Sagat high low fireballs, or necro having elements of Dhalsim and Blanka whilst still being entirely his own thing.

Also I'd love to see Juri again because I'm a deviant.

Lulubop

You mean they do a New Generation?

Pompadour

It is probably unrealistic but geez a fresh roster would be amazing.

I don't mind if they keep a couple of the mainstays. Maybe even a few more then the Chun/Ryu/Akuma/Ken that made it to SF3 but please, please can they not drag the entire cast of SF2 into the game.

I know these old characters have fans, but I feel like a a lot of the time some of the older characters are product of the times, in terms of visuals, moves and they way they fit into newer games feel weird.

I think it'd be better if the general style was preserved and presented with a fresh take ala SF3. Like Remy being a Guile with Sagat high low fireballs, or necro having elements of Dhalsim and Blanka whilst still being entirely his own thing.

Also I'd love to see Juri again because I'm a deviant.

I doubt they'll go the III route considering how the lack of familiar faces is cited as one of the big reasons that series sold poorly. However, (I hope) Capcom realizes that most of the casual audience's nostalgic love of the Super Turbo cast wore off and realized that, hey, a lot of these characters are pretty shitty (T. Hawk and Dee Jay being the biggest offenders).

What they need to do is take the parts of these characters that work and combine them with other characters. People in general like the visual designs of Guile and Dhalsim over Remy and Necro. Take what is great about Remy and Necro (more interesting animations and expanded moveset) and move that over to the classic characters. I think they're planning to overhaul many fan favorites and USF4 Omega Edition is them gauging the fanbase's response.

The game does need new blood if only because they mined deeply into the various SF casts and filled SF4 with almost all the best characters. There's a few notable exceptions (Alex, Urien, etc.) that will likely end up in 5.

Degen

I thought I wanted Hugo back but he just isn't the same character in USF4 that he was in SF3 or SFxT

If I had to pick one character to come back, it'd be T.Hawk. I just like his "don't even care" play style

Village

Put him in , make this alt his regular costume.

say he broke out of jail for a very long time or something or they let him out because reasons

viv31bJ.png

vulva

lieutenant-linn-kurosawa.jpg

She's already seen in the background of this stage chilling with Chun so she's part of the universe or whatever

462789-linncameo.png

Sesha

There might be licensing issues with her though. Putting her in the background is one thing, no one will notice or care.

There is, however, no problem with Simone in any way. She's fully and wholly a Capcom character, and her design was based on Linn.

c3b76e96b68b55d07f86553cbb1c60fe.png

Do it, Capcom. Simone, Santamu, Haggar, Maki, Eagle. Roster of the forever.

StayDead

I'd like R.Mika, Karin, Alex and Batsu please. That's all I want Capcom. I really wanted them in SF4 but it never happened.

Shadoken

I just hope they don't do those annoying teases for obvious characters like Ken, Cammy et all.

I still remember the hate for that Cammy reveal in SFxT

Endo Punk

SF4 was a celebration of the SF2 cast I hope they don't repeat that for SFV. Ryu Ken, Chunners, Sagat, Guile, Bison and a few from Alpha, SF3 and new faces. And if possible I'd like character or two from Project Justice. I am glad SF lore is finally acknowledging SF3 with the Denjin Hadouken so hopefully they don't retread on SF2 territory. Playing it safe will not help the franchise.

RM8

16 characters?

Ryu
Chun Li
Dhalsim
Decapre
Eagle
M. Bison
Guile
Dan
Sakura
Makoto
Zangief
Ingrid
NEW x 4

Or something like that. Ideally I'd put Pullum Purna, Hokuto, Vulcano Rosso and other EX characters but I'm being semi realistic :p

Sesha

16 characters?

Ryu
Chun Li
Dhalsim
Decapre
Eagle
M. Bison
Guile
Dan
Sakura
Makoto
Zangief
Ingrid
NEW x 4

Or something like that. Ideally I'd put Pullum Purna, Hokuto, Vulcano Rosso and other EX characters but I'm being semi realistic :p

Switch out Gief with Haggar, Guile with Charlie and Decapre with Santamu and I agree.

ShinAmano

16 characters?

Ryu
Chun Li
Dhalsim
Decapre
Eagle
M. Bison
Guile
Dan
Sakura
Makoto
Zangief
Ingrid
NEW x 4

Never understood people who like Dan and this list is missing Ken.

RM8

Switch out Gief with Haggar, Guile with Charlie and Decapre with Santamu and I agree.
Hey, I actually agree about Haggar and Charlie, but Decapre is one of my favorite movesets in any fighting game ever and I'm salty that she's going to be so short-lived :(

Never understood people who like Dan and this list is missing Ken.
Dan is way more interesting to me than Ken, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom