• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion |Thread 2| Deal with it & place your hope for DLC

yurinka

So, it looks like SFV will have a vocal theme song

z-luke-skywalker-noooooo.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing. And definitely reconfirms how absolutely shit the Bengus art is in that training mode demo (I still have hope that the rest of it will be better).
I still believe that Bengus is not related at all to these assets. They are too bad compared to his work in previous Capcom games and the artstyle is too different.

They announced the cover of the special edition box we are getting here in Korea (art by Shinkiro). Not sure if this is Asia exclusive..

It's cover for the SE box, not the actual game case cover.

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:large

I want this. What does include? Do you know its price?

I still believe that Bengus is not related at all to these assets. It's too bad compared to his work in previous Capcom games and the artstyle is too different.

The art style is quite similar to the Alpha Anthology boxart which Bengus did.

Street_Fighter_Alpha_Anthology_cover.jpg

Maybe homie's been phoning it in for a decade?

yurinka

The art style is quite similar to the Alpha Anthology boxart which Bengus did.

Street_Fighter_Alpha_Anthology_cover.jpg

Maybe homie's been phoning it in for a decade?
Yes, looks similar to the tutorial, which obviously means that this cover is crap.

『Inaba Resident』;192002483 said:
Besides, I think they already said its Benugs
Yes, they said he's Bengus. But I don't want to believe he made the tutorial crap. For me Bengus did godlike art like this:

BengusSmall.png

0c7bbffbee47ac3497ab0b79f258855f.jpg

latest

18j18g0j0l0bmpng.png

18j18g4h18y7tjpg.jpg

18j18g8f6dy1zjpg.jpg

18j18gae7mjyspng.png

18j18gcd76bmzpng.png

18j18gia6ax91jpg.jpg

Sorry for this one, someone with really bad taste destroyed the original artwork using Photoshop:
sf1poster.gif

He was too good to end making that crap. As a huge Capcom fan since the 8 bits, who even ran a Capcom fan site during years and who became making games for a living partly inspired by their games, SFV tutorial art assets are almost offensive for me.

Sesha

They announced the cover of the special edition box we are getting here in Korea (art by Shinkiro). Not sure if this is Asia exclusive..

It's cover for the SE box, not the actual game case cover.

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:large

I like how Fang is tiny, and Dhalsim and Birdie are barely visible. Can't have people let see the ugly weirdos, I guess. I wonder why they keep adding these kinds of characters if the marketing is going to pretend like they're ashamed of them.

Tiny Fang looking like he's perched on Ryu's shoulder is hilarious, though

Skilletor

Please share with us your awesome Street Fighter fan art (that you personally made of course)...

Always makes me laugh when people suggest they need to be able to do a thing to have an opinion on it.

That art is a lot worse than many things bengus has done. I think it's crap, too, and no, I can't draw as well as any Capcom artist.

Yes, they said he's Bengus. But I don't want to believe he made the tutorial crap. For me Bengus did godlike art like this:

He was too good to end making that crap.

Assuming that Bengus is doing artwork for the entire story, then I think its fair that the quality of the art might not be up to his usual standard. He likely had to do tons of art in a short amount of time.
And "crap" is a pretty big exaggeration, imo. Was the tutorial art good as his previous work? No, but I wouldn't call it crap.
Now that Alpha cover? Yeah, that's pretty bad for numerous reasons.

Skilletor

『Inaba Resident』;192004826 said:
Assuming that Bengus is doing artwork for the entire story, then I think its fair that the quality of the art might not be up to his usual standard. He likely had to do tons of art in a short amount of time.
And "crap" is a pretty big exaggeration, imo. Was the tutorial art good as his previous work? No, but I wouldn't call it crap.

Its the difference between am artist that only draws covers and one delivering panels for a book on the monthly.

Still think that cover is crap, though. :p

Nephtes

a person isn't alllowed to think a video game cover is bad without being able to make a better one his or herself?

I'm all about critiquing art.... When there's an actual critique being made about technique or perspective or... Whatever.

Just dropping off a random "this art is crap" is a d-bag move to be sure... Especially if you have no artistic talent of your own.

It is possible to not like something while also not taking a shit on the creator...

Village

I like how Fang is tiny, and Dhalsim and Birdie are barely visible. Can't have people let see the ugly weirdos, I guess. I wonder why they keep adding these kinds of characters if the marketing is going to pretend like they're ashamed of them.

Tiny Fang looking like he's perched on Ryu's shoulder is hilarious, though
Capcom likes them.heck its problably why they aren't dlc. People arent going to pay for them

Seijuro

So, it looks like SFV will have a vocal theme song

giphy.gif

I really liked the corny charm of Indestructible, at least it was memorable! Looking forward to it! Seems like Man on a Mission did the ending track to Mad Max Fury Road's japanese release. Will give it a listen after work to find out what we're in for!

Digging the Laura love on that Korean SE box art.

In the other art, it sometimes seems like she's an afterthought (though, understandibly, not EVERYONE can be front and center).

Tizoc

will the stage hazard shown upon the game's reveal over a year ago still be there?
I want to play as noodle hat chun and ryu :/

GorillaJu

I didn't like Indestructible but I like the original Japanese version. Cheesy lyrics are always so much more tasteful when they're not in your native tongue.

qcf x2

『Inaba Resident』;192004826 said:
Now that Alpha cover? Yeah, that's pretty bad for numerous reasons.

Art is certainly very subjective, but I absolutely would call the tutorial art "crap." If I met somebody at a bar and they told me they were an aspiring artist and showed me that, I would ask them what else they're interested in pursuing. It looks amateur hour as hell.

Vice

Yes, looks similar to the tutorial, which obviously means that this cover is crap.

BengusSmalpng

0c7bbffbee47ac3497ab0b79f258855f.jv=139950

latest

.png

.jpg

18j18g8f6dy1zjjpg

.png

.png

18j18gia6ax.jpg

Sorry for this one, someone with really bad taste destroyed the original artwork using Photoshop:
sf1pogif

He was too good to end making that crap. As a huge Capcom fan since the 8 bits, who even ran a Capcom fan site during years and who became making games for a living partly inspired by their games, SFV tutorial art assets are almost offensive for me.

Those were 20 years ago. Maybe he just decided to change his style up to something simpler.

Shadoken

Imo Bengus has done some of the best artwork ever for Street Fighter.

I think it has a lot to do with Time and Money. Obviously Capcom would pay and give him more time to do just 1 asset for a boxart or something.
But for the entire games story mode? Yea I don't think he would have gotten as much time. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some Artists under him.

Those were 20 years ago. Maybe he just decided to change his style up to something simpler.

Nah , Its all just a matter of Quality vs Quantity.

Top Bottom