• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion |Thread 2| Deal with it & place your hope for DLC

I don't see anything wrong with that Ken art lol

SF05.jpg

FANG wouldn't do this

Man not even Sagat would do that shit

Floex

RQjd1gx.png
EN4PoAJ.jpg

So he'd be doing stuff Shadaloo had already been doing, big whoop, Shadaloo already had 2 scientists who were up in on dat ish

And the old guy then went on to work for Gill's orginization.

He just looks off when put along with Dictator, Boxer and Claw. As Krast said the 4 kings all looked imposing, FANG just looks...tall and skinny.

I wish Fang looked like that top pic :(

Nachtmaer

I think most people's problems with F.A.N.G. are in his goofy intro, super, and winpose (and to a lesser extent his voice). He looks straight up badass in his character art.

latest

Speaking of that super. Is there footage of the full animation yet? In his trailer we only saw the first few hits because of the KO and I don't think Combofiend used in the match against Mike either. Maybe I just missed it.

qcf x2

"I'm sure others will disagree, but I translate that as "sorry, we now realize that we misread the fanbase a bit.""

You Third Strike fans stay delusional.

My long established preference is to have new characters in new games, and settle for lesser-seen characters over bringing back retreads sans redesign, but ok, relate it to SF3 somehow if that floats your boat. I don't particularly want to see Elena/Makoto/Ibuki/Dudley return again, I would wager that makes me a "bad Third Strike fan" in the eyes of most.

KAL2006

Banned
I just realised 2017 is Street Fighters 30th Anniversary

I wonder how Capcom will celebrate it. Perhaps the Season pass for that year could represent all SF games.

Eagle or Retsu - SF1
Sagat or Blanka - SF2
Rose or Sakura - SFA
Dudley or Makoto- SF3
C. Viper or Abel - SF4
Akuma - cause we just need him, appeared in all SF iterations

I remember Capcom released a collectors set with SF3 OE and HD Remix as well as DLC packs and all the movies. I hope they do something similar for the 30th anniversary.
Games should include
Street Fighter
Hyper Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Ultra Street Fighter IV

"My long established preference is to have new characters in new games, and settle for lesser-seen characters over bringing back retreads sans redesign, but ok, relate it to SF3 somehow if that floats your boat. I don't particularly want to see Elena/Makoto/Ibuki/Dudley return again, I would wager that makes me a "bad Third Strike fan" in the eyes of most."

Fair enough. Your assumption that you are somehow indicative of what the "fanbase" as a collective whole wants and that Capcom has "misread" that because you want them to drop characters that are cultural icons in their 20+ year franchise is incredibly asinine, though.

DasPrints

Speaking of that super. Is there footage of the full animation yet? In his trailer we only saw the first few hits because of the KO and I don't think Combofiend used in the match against Mike either. Maybe I just missed it.

I forget what video it was but him flapping through the air is the whole animation. He also drops bombs down below him as he flies by like he's doing a tiny bombing run. If I remember correctly the bombs knock the opponent upwards into the rest of FANG's attack if they land. The entire attack also poisons. But yeah there is no fancy cinematic animation besides that like most of the other fighters have for their Critical Art.

Nachtmaer

『Inaba Resident』;192460865 said:
Im pretty sure thats all of the super.

I forget what video it was but him flapping through the air is the whole animation. He also drops bombs down below him as he flies by like he's doing a tiny bombing run. If I remember correctly the bombs knock the opponent upwards into the rest of FANG's attack if they land. The entire attack also poisons. But yeah there is no fancy cinematic animation besides that like most of the other fighters have for their Critical Art.

Oh, I see. I was just curious since I only saw the flapping part and figured the real deal would be even more ridiculous. I don't mind him being a bit goofy as SF was never totally super serious. I am glad they toned it down a bit compared to IV though.

qcf x2

"My long established preference is to have new characters in new games, and settle for lesser-seen characters over bringing back retreads sans redesign, but ok, relate it to SF3 somehow if that floats your boat. I don't particularly want to see Elena/Makoto/Ibuki/Dudley return again, I would wager that makes me a "bad Third Strike fan" in the eyes of most."

Fair enough. Your assumption that you are somehow indicative of what the "fanbase" as a collective whole wants and that Capcom has "misread" that because you want them to drop characters that are cultural icons in their 20+ year franchise is incredibly asinine, though.

I disagree, but that's what opinions are all about. I don't see the need to be rude about it. I want to see SFV succeed for selfish reasons, and I would like to see it grow the userbase. For that to happen, it is my belief that Capcom has to scale back the appeal (doesn't mean drop it, no need for hyperbole) to the gamer dads who "grew up on" SF2 and have strong familiarity with those characters, and try to appeal to a newer, different audience a little bit more.

I disagree, but that's what opinions are all about. I don't see the need to be rude about it. I want to see SFV succeed for selfish reasons, and I would like to see it grow the userbase. For that to happen, it is my belief that Capcom has to scale back the appeal (doesn't mean drop it, no need for hyperbole) to the gamer dads who "grew up on" SF2 and have strong familiarity with those characters, and try to appeal to a newer, different audience a little bit more.
Are you trying to imply that SF3 fans aren't old asshats either? Game is almost 20 years old.

If we're to appeal to a "newer audience" what do we get? SF4, aka SF2 part deux so I'd say Capcom is doing all right on that front.

Sesha

I think they did a very good job of picking the initial 16 characters, as it's an incredibly diverse line-up in terms of play styles, character designs, nationalities and franchise history. Ideally it would have had a couple SF3 characters from the beginning, but at least three are already on the way.

While I know they are going to do the updates without retail expansions now. I do still hope they put a good amount of content at launch instead of it being basic.

Are you trying to imply that SF3 fans aren't old asshats either? Game is almost 20 years old.

If we're to appeal to a "newer audience" what do we get? SF4, aka SF2 part deux so I'd say Capcom is doing all right on that front.

To be fair the 3rd strike online came out not long ago. lol.

As for appeal to the new audience, thats likely not going to hapven without removing the many similarities the fighting system has. I mean while there are difference mechnically, SF2 to now has a lot of similar moves and styles.

Hex

Banned
To be fair the 3rd strike online came out not long ago. lol.

As for appeal to the new audience, thats likely not going to hapven without removing the many similarities the fighting system has. I mean while there are difference mechnically, SF2 to now has a lot of similar moves and styles.

And honestly, in my opinion that is why it stays on top.
Street Fighter IS Street Fighter because it is recognized.
Both certain characters and trademark moves and scenarios.
It changes too much and you risk that toppling too far to one side or another.
I like the way they slip new characters and styles in while keeping it Street Fighter for sure.
Hopefully there will eventually be another VS game for those that like the faster dial-a-combo system , VS what who knows.
I do not think there has been any issue bringing in a new audience nor keeping veterens.
It is the play that matters.

Did anyone pick up the latest issue of Edge? Was there anything interesting in there about SFV?

Someone was nice to post a synopsis and a few quotes from the issue a page or two back. Take a look! One of the points re-emphasized was how they want to let the game breath and will not be patching the game until after a year. We might assume a new season and character changes wouldnt happen until after Capcom Cup (in December-ish).

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think most people's problems with F.A.N.G. are in his goofy intro, super, and winpose (and to a lesser extent his voice). He looks straight up badass in his character art.

latest

so basically everything about his character? lol

that character art isn't a good representation of how he actually looks in the game. in that pic he's posing like he's badass like gen.

in the game he's wearing a snuggie and sounds like a dork/joke character. combofiend's description of what they were trying to make the character doesn't match up with the final product.

I love F.A.N.G's voice and Critical Art animation. The only think I'm not as keen on is the fact he's a charge character but that's purely because I rarely play charge characters in other beat 'em ups. He's definitely the newcomer I like the look of most, though.

I'm slightly disappointed that the first six DLC characters announced contain no newcomers.

TheOGB

Banned
F.A.N.G has a 70s exploitation/action flick villain aesthetic to him that I like, but the way Peter/Capcom describe him makes it seem like that wasn't intentional. A lot of the stuff Combofiend said in that character breakdown sounded kinda weird to me, actually, though I realize it was probably intended for a more casual audience.

Mizerman

that character art isn't a good representation of how he actually looks in the game. in that pic he's posing like he's badass like gen.

in the game he's wearing a snuggie and sounds like a dork/joke character. combofiend's description of what they were trying to make the character doesn't match up with the final product.

I like the fact that FANG's goofiness hides the fact that he's a cruel, sadistic scientist who would rather kill you with slow acting poison than engaging in "honorable combat."

Pompadour

I think 80% of his animations and his look, in general, aren't goofy. They're odd, definitely, but I think if you gave Gen a goofy voice as he did all his kung fu poses his moves would look less like badass kung fu and more goofy.

Plus, the goofy stuff sticks out like a sore thumb and make a bigger impression than they should. However, that seemed to be Capcom's goal as they keep flashing F.A.N.G.'s winpose of him dancing and ending the trailer by showing Street Fighter fans F.A.N.G.'s "O" face.

If I were in charge, I'd change a few things (give him a less underwhelming super, definitely) but I'd probably keep him very similar. I do love that over-the-top Chinese villain voice he has.

F.A.N.G has a 70s exploitation/action flick villain aesthetic to him that I like, but the way Peter/Capcom describe him makes it seem like that wasn't intentional. A lot of the stuff Combofiend said in that character breakdown sounded kinda weird to me, actually, though I realize it was probably intended for a more casual audience.

I think they wanted to create a sadistic, sinister, flamboyant villain to join the Four Shadaloo Kings but halfway through development realized "Oh wait, there already is a sadistic, sinister, flamboyant villain in Shadaloo and his name is Vega." So since that niche was already filled they added a comedic element to have him stand out from the rest.

RQjd1gx.png
EN4PoAJ.jpg

So he'd be doing stuff Shadaloo had already been doing, big whoop, Shadaloo already had 2 scientists who were up in on dat ish

And the old guy then went on to work for Gill's orginization.

He just looks off when put along with Dictator, Boxer and Claw. As Krast said the 4 kings all looked imposing, FANG just looks...tall and skinny.
Fang looks like a totally different art style from an artist who was only given verbal/written descriptions of what the rest of the cast looks like.

Haha, I wonder if it's supposed to be a DBZ reference as the first thing I thought about was frieza when he said that.
There was someone from capcom(I believe anyway) that said he has a fascination with the number two, though they didn't say why. Could have been a translation error I guess, as I can't remember the source, but him saying he will beat you in two minutes is weird as hell. I'm definitely looking forward to playing him, in any case.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, since when was there this much hate for F.A.N.G.? Dude has a perfect blend of "goofball" and "genuinely intimidating" going.

Wallach

To me FANG looks like the best new character they've added to this series since SF3. SF4's additions were pretty much dumpster status and up until FANG got announced SF5 wasn't looking much better in that regard.

Village

Wait, since when was there this much hate for F.A.N.G.? Dude has a perfect blend of "goofball" and "genuinely intimidating" going.

He was immediately hated by a lot of folks as soon as he was introduced. I'm not fond of him either, better than rufus though.

SF4's additions were pretty much dumpster status and up until FANG got announced SF5 wasn't looking much better in that regard.

The game that put black widow and Jolyne kujo in it.

stop.

The FGC doesn't hate F.A.N.G as much as you guys think...

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...racters-do-you-plan-playing-street-fighter-5/

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/05/shoryuken-poll-who-is-your-favorite-street-fighter-v-newcomer/

fang_is_love_by_emezie-d9oddcb.png

He's definitely a controversial design (BY design), but he's not even close to universally hated. Even his original reveal video has 3 times as many likes as dislikes...which really isn't that bad, for a "weirdo" type character.

Another case of complainers' voices being louder and more frequent than everyone else's. Most other people probably recognized what role the character was meant to fill and accepted him for what he is.

Sayad

The FGC doesn't hate F.A.N.G as much as you guys think...

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...racters-do-you-plan-playing-street-fighter-5/

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/05/shoryuken-poll-who-is-your-favorite-street-fighter-v-newcomer/

fang_is_love_by_emezie-d9oddcb.png

He's definitely a controversial design (BY design), but he's not even close to universally hated. Even his original reveal video has 3 times as many likes as dislikes...which really isn't that bad, for a "weirdo" type character.
I wonder if Rashid is the least liked because some are expecting him to be this game's El Fuerte...

Top Bottom