• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion |Thread 2| Deal with it & place your hope for DLC

JayEH

Anyone get the battle costume for Cammy at Best Buy? On the website it says -

Pre-order STREET FIGHTER V to receive an exclusive alternate costume for Cammy! Decked out in mission gear, Cammy is ready to complete her next objective!
Pre-order. Release date: 03/31/2016

Do you not get the code until then?

I said this earlier but it's most likely that they haven't updated the site since the pre order bonuses were announced before the release date. I highly doubt they would give out pre order bonuses until almost two months after the game launches.

ScribbleD

Something I've been curious about for a while is how they're going to handle rolling things out like new stages and mechanics. In the past they would usually add new features, gameplay mechanics, and stages in new add-ons or discs. Capcom said they don't intend to put out multiple different versions of 5 (No Super Street Fighter 5, or Street Fighter 5: 2nd Impact). Wonder how they will roll new stuff out aside from the char DLC? I'd be a bit bummed if they had no plans to add additional mechanics over time, or at least new stages.

For Street Fighters 20th Anniversary which would be Season 2 DLC

They need to do character and stage DLC to celebrate 20 years

The 6 characters
Akuma - Secret Boss of the entire series (only didn't appear on SF1, represents all games)
Retsu - represents SF1
Feilong - represents SF2
Sakura - represents SFA
Dudley - represents SF3
C. Viper - represents SF4

Stage DLC classics remade
SF1 Japan Stage
SF2 Ken Stage
SFA Stormy Grass Stage
SF3 Alex Third Strike Stage
SF4 South Korea Stage

Finally classics alts for all the characters
Alpha Chunli
SF2 Dhalsim Beardless
SF2 Vega Shirtless
SF2/SF3 Ken
SFA Bison with Cape On
SF1 White Birdie
SFA Sailor Moon Karin
Really don't like your character list. I can't imagine a world in which we get Retsu before Sagat, and especially Fei Long before Blanka. You've always completely overestimated how important Fei is, haven't you?

Something I've been curious about for a while is how they're going to handle rolling things out like new stages and mechanics. In the past they would usually add new features, gameplay mechanics, and stages in new add-ons or discs. Capcom said they don't intend to put out multiple different versions of 5 (No Super Street Fighter 5, or Street Fighter 5: 2nd Impact). Wonder how they will roll new stuff out aside from the char DLC? I'd be a bit bummed if they had no plans to add additional mechanics over time, or at least new stages.

They've already tested adding stages through fight money. Mechanics I assume will be added in big updates.

KAL2006

Banned
Really don't like your character list. I can't imagine a world in which we get Retsu before Sagat, and especially Fei Long before Blanka.

People want Akuma, Sakura and Sagat all in Season 2. All fireball and uppercut characters in 1 season. It would be silly for Capcom to have all 3 characters in one season. 2 out of those 3 characters make sense.

Oh and by the way we live in a world where we got Birdie instead of Akuma in the initial roster. Or Vega instead of Sagat/Balrog who is the least popular of the 4 kings.

People want Akuma, Sakura and Sagat all in Season 2. All fireball and uppercut characters in 1 season. It would be silly for Capcom to have all 3 characters in one season. 2 out of those 3 characters make sense.

Oh and by the way we live in a world where we got Birdie instead of Akuma in the initial roster. Or Vega instead of Sagat/Balrog who is the least popular of the 4 kings.
Birdie didn't get in over Akuma though, like Fei would have to get in over Blanka. Ono knows people love Blanka, he's never said something like that about Fei. I'd be surprised if we got Fei before like 2019.

Anyone get the battle costume for Cammy at Best Buy? On the website it says -
Pre-order. Release date: 03/31/2016[/I]
Do you not get the code until then?

Best Buy has done this for years, they often post a later date. It is not accurate. Don't worry about it, the only delay you could expect would be a delay in the e-mail of your pre-order code. I would be extremely surprised if you don't get your code on launch. On second though, if this coincides when Capcom is launching the SF5 shop in-game it's possible everyone will get their codes when the shop goes live.

KAL2006

Banned
Birdie didn't get in over Akuma though, like Fei would have to get in over Blanka. Ono knows people love Blanka, he's never said something like that about Fei. I'd be surprised if we got Fei before like 2019.

True I still stand by my decision to not include Akuma, Sagat and Sakura all in one Season. The only reason I didn't include Blanka over Feilong is because of Ono's recent comment of we already have a Brazilian electric character. The only other SF2 reps are Honda, T.Hawk and Deejay. I thought Feilong is the most appropriate out of the other options.

TacosNSalsa

So how many people here got the season pass? I'm wondering how much it will cost to unlock characters with in game money.
I've been going back and forth about getting it . None of the characters interest me but to have them available for training mode to work on tech is useful..don't know what to do!!

So how many people here got the season pass? I'm wondering how much it will cost to unlock characters with in game money.

Honestly, if there weren't so many great games coming out this year then I would definitely have gotten it.

As it is, I'm just gonna wait to see what the fight money-character unlocking situation is before getting it.

Lulubop

Oh, how's that?

GMG or something?

Season pass is 24 on gmg, and the game is 36 on CDKeys. I know people might be hesitant on trusting CDKeys but I personally don't have problem buying grey market keys. Even recently GMG got catch selling grey market keys iirc.

True I still stand by my decision to not include Akuma, Sagat and Sakura all in one Season. The only reason I didn't include Blanka over Feilong is because of Ono's recent comment of we already have a Brazilian electric character. The only other SF2 reps are Honda, T.Hawk and Deejay. I thought Feilong is the most appropriate out of the other options.
That's fair, I just think Blanka will have priority. We'll see! I totally agree Fei would be in before T Hawk and probably DeeJay though.

I figured I can always buy it in a few months if it takes too long to get fight money.

Zerojul

Definitely getting the season pass. It might sound dumb but I wanna support the game as much as I can.
I'm even getting a japanese Volcanic edition, which I probably won't even use, on top of my EU regular copy.
That plus I don't have time to grind at all and I'm sure I will want to get all the content that they dish out, so season pass, premium costumes for real money, sadly I'm in for everything and anything.

The 6 characters
Akuma - Secret Boss of the entire series (only didn't appear on SF1, represents all games)
Retsu - represents SF1
Feilong - represents SF2
Sakura - represents SFA
Dudley - represents SF3

Like it as an anniversary thing, but don't agree that's what they should do. Basing an expansion of characters on a theme is not the way to go. I feel there should be a precedent to include characters that haven't had much spotlight, such as 3rd Strike characters.

... Still upset we got Zangief and Sim. Blah.

Neoxon

Uhh, Sagat's Ex-Shadaloo. As in Sagat was fed up with the group after Alpha 3.

Lulubop

I wonder why they had originally planned on revealing the DLC characters. Gotta believe it was a pre release season pass trailer.

mekes

If people want 'Another fight is coming your way' for OT2, what are people liking for the first? I missed that.

And really hope this game turns up for me next Saturday! They sometimes do for Tuesday releases. I needs it early..

KAL2006

Banned
Like it as an anniversary thing, but don't agree that's what they should do. Basing an expansion of characters on a theme is not the way to go. I feel there should be a precedent to include characters that haven't had much spotlight, such as 3rd Strike characters.

... Still upset we got Zangief and Sim. Blah.

I think it's a nice roster

We have 2 fan favourites who are Akuma and Sakura

Retsu as the WTF character like Birdie who hasn't appeared in a long long time in a SF game

We have 2 female reps

And if course we need a SF2 rep Blanka or Feilong is fine (actually now that I think about it Blanka makes sense as we need a charge character in the Season and he is more popular)

This coincidently covers all SF games

For Season 3 we can have the likes of Sagat, Cody and etc. Too many people want the predictable popular characters that don't offer enough variety. I think Capcom will do whatever they feel like doing instead just dumping all the fan requested characters like Sagat, Akuma and Sakura all in one Season. And I like that because Birdie has now become my main.

Pompadour

The 6 characters
Retsu - represents SF1
Feilong - represents SF2
Sakura - represents SFA
Dudley - represents SF3

Sagat would get in over Fei Long and, personally, I'd choose Eagle over Retsu but everything else looks good. Retsu seems very, very boring to me. I think people only want him so bad because he's a small part of Ryu and Ken's backstory but he's literally Street Fighter's Glass Joe, some guy they have to beat up before they're allowed to street fight around the globe.

KAL2006

Banned
Sagat would get in over Fei Long and, personally, I'd choose Eagle over Retsu but everything else looks good. Retsu seems very, very boring to me. I think people only want him so bad because he's a small part of Ryu and Ken's backstory but he's literally Street Fighter's Glass Joe, some guy they have to beat up before they're allowed to street fight around the globe.

So you want Sagat, Sakura, and Akuma in one Season. Seems a bit boring to me. Eagle looks too similar to Dudley design wise and I wasn't a fan of his playstyle in CvS2. Sagat is not a proper SF2 rep as he appeared in SF1. He also was in every SF series safe for SF3. Same for Akuma who appeared on every SF series save for SF1. This is why I feel like these 2 characters don't represent any specific SF games just like Ken and Ryu as they have appeared in nearly the majority of the games.

Mupod

Season pass is 24 on gmg, and the game is 36 on CDKeys. I know people might be hesitant on trusting CDKeys but I personally don't have problem buying grey market keys. Even recently GMG got catch selling grey market keys iirc.

I think GMG gets their keys directly from Capcom. Last Capcom game I ordered (Dragon's Dogma), I got the key instantly even though the game wasn't due out for a while.

Beckx

Is there a code needed for GMG or something? It's showing full price for me.

Pompadour

So you want Sagat, Sakura, and Akuma in one Season. Seems a bit boring to me. Eagle looks too similar to Dudley design wise and I wasn't a fan of his playstyle in CvS2. Sagat is not a proper SF2 rep as he appeared in SF1. He also was in every SF series safe for SF3. Same for Akuma who appeared on every SF series save for SF1. This is why I feel like these 2 characters don't represent any specific SF games just like Ken and Ryu as they have appeared in nearly the majority of the games.

This isn't what I want (mostly) but what I expect to happen. Frankly, if I had my way Season 2 would have either Sagat or Akuma and Season 3 would have the one that wasn't in Season 2 and that would be the end of Street Fighter 2 reps. So I guess it would look more like

1: Eagle. But if Dudley and Eagle being too similar puts the kibosh on that, then Geki.
2: Akuma.
A: Sodom, just for the novelty.
3: Dudley, because he's my favorite SF character. If not him, Q.
4: I think C. Viper is the best bet. The other 4 reps are knockoffs of existing characters, mediocre, or awful.

Skilletor

I don't care who they put in, new or old, everything they've done with all of the characters is awesome. The more boring a character used to be, the more excited that would make me to see them redone for SF5.

A belt that was given to the winner of a pre-launch event in Germany

caeyyxyucaajwgqjwpal.jpg

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/695720821906477057

Raitaro

You know what they could do that might be cool as a new, running (Dan type joke) thing for V and upcoming SF games? To bring back Sean but have him change whose student he is from game to game and as such, which fighting style he is trying to make his own.

In V they could bring him back as a student of Sagat, since he seems to be sitting this one out. He could even come complete with bald head and Muay Thai shorts and he'd have some moves of Sagat (with Sean twist) but also a few of his own like in III, such as the ball throw and head butt etc.

Then in VI they could bring him back again but as another one's student, et cetera et cetera. I mean, why not make him the new Dan in terms of being a running joke character who in this case changes styles between games and (unintentionally) parodies and hommages them? Just an idea, so feel free to disagree (Sean fans especially).

Scotia

Banned
You know what they could do that might be cool as a new, running (Dan type joke) thing for V and upcoming SF games? To bring back Sean but have him change whose student he is from game to game and as such, which fighting style he is trying to make his own.

In V they could bring him back as a student of Sagat, since he seems to be sitting this one out. He could even come complete with bald head and Muay Thai shorts and he'd have some moves of Sagat (with Sean twist) but also a few of his own like in III, such as the ball throw and head butt etc.

Then in VI they could bring him back again but as another one's student, et cetera et cetera. I mean, why not make him the new Dan in terms of being a running joke character who in this case changes styles between games and (unintentionally) parodies and hommages them? Just an idea, so feel free to disagree (Sean fans especially).

No.

Avatar quote me if you must, but no.

EDIT: To give a reason why my answer is no, doing this is making a character into a joke character for no other reason than 'why not'. Sean might not be the highest of tiers in 3S, but to reduce to him a joke character on the same level of Dan is a complete waste of a character. Dan is a joke because he's a joke of a fighter. Sean is low tier because he is a student in-training. There's a big difference.

Shadoken

I really dont get this "Series Rep" system.

Capcom have shown multiple times each series is not treated the same way. There is noway SF2 and SF1 are going to get the same number of "Reps".

SFV has 6 SF2, 4 Alpha, 4 new
Wave 1 has 2 SF2, 3 SF3, 1 SF4
I'd be willing to bet Wave 2 has Final Fight, Alpha and 1 or 2 SF2 and some New character.

They only did ONCE in the history of fighters in Capcom Fighting JAm. SF2,3,Alpha reps respectively. Every other time there has been heavy bias towards SF2 followed by Alpha.
Edit - Even in that they cheated by putting Chun li on the 3s side lol.

RC

Banned

This is a terrible idea. Sean might be about low teir as a charecter can get in 3S, but he's no joke charecter.

And speaking of which, Dan should never come back.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't care who they put in, new or old, everything they've done with all of the characters is awesome. The more boring a character used to be, the more excited that would make me to see them redone for SF5.

Very true

Save for Cammy, Chunli, Zanguef and Ryu Capcom went crazy with the returning characters.

Bison with the phsycho power V Trigger and Teleport dashing is great. I also like his new Psycho Inferno special. Finally while his redesign is subtle he looks more menacing than ever before.

Dhalsim who I thought would be boring looks bad ass with turban and beard. Moves have been dratically changed up enugh to make him feel fresh.

Ken while his design has people split, I like that he isn't just Ryu in a Red Gi and blond hair. I like his playstyle is the total opposite of Ryu. Where Ryu has heavy hits and is less flashy with a defensive Parry V Skill. Ken is the opposite with flashy moves and combos and a running forward offensive V Skill.

Nash, we know Guile is coming so no need to make him similar and his move set is so cool. The Teleport V Trigger just makes his mixup game so fun. Design is a bit shit but let's be honest the looked a bit shit to begin with to he fair. Making him a non charge offensive character makes sense of Guile is going to stay defensive charge character.

R. Mika is just fucking fun and her moves et is way different to Alpha 3. I remember I didn't enjoy playing with her much in Alpha. Same can he said for Karin and Karin and R. Mika redesigns while subtle are great.

Finally Birdie, he was probably one of my worse characters in the SF universe, how Capcom managed to make him so fun to use and make me consider him my main is an accomplishment.

So I will agree I don't give a fuck who Capcom add as so far they have been doing a great job.

KAL2006

Banned
I really dont get this "Series Rep" system.

Capcom have shown multiple times each series is not treated the same way. There is noway SF2 and SF1 are going to get the same number of "Reps".

SFV has 6 SF2, 4 Alpha, 4 new
Wave 1 has 2 SF2, 3 SF3, 1 SF4
I'd be willing to bet Wave 2 has Final Fight, Alpha and 1 or 2 SF2 and some New character.

They only did ONCE in the history of fighters in Capcom Fighting JAm. SF2,3,Alpha reps respectively. Every other time there has been heavy bias towards SF2 followed by Alpha.
Edit - Even in that they cheated by putting Chun li on the 3s side lol.

I only suggested for one Season as it's Street Fighters anniversary. Of course I don't expect Capcom to do this with every Season.

Spman2099

My only two hopes are that we don't see Blanka and that we get some Final Fight characters in the next season. Thankfully I think both of those are fairly likely.

Shadoken

I only suggested for one Season as it's Street Fighters anniversary. Of course I don't expect Capcom to do this with every Season.

Hmm alright I can see that happening , a sort of Street Fighter through the years thing along with some DLC story.

But I think they will throw in Sagat as SF1. Sagat vs Ryu is like the most memorable aspect of SF1. And it would be badass to start the 30th anniversary with that.

Then for SF2. Honestly after what they did with Birdie , they can throw in who ever they want and it would be hype. Blanka,Honda. But I think it will be Fei , his style isnt represented yet.

Top Bottom