• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

What your sound setup? TV speakers, home theater? The same setup from your sister?
Just playing through the regular TV speakers. But all of the other sounds voices are intact. She lives else where so I'm not sure what her set up is. My brother noticed the same thing on his set up. Stereo sound.

Fake

Just playing through the regular TV speakers. But all of the other sounds voices are intact. She lives else where so I'm not sure what her set up is. My brother noticed the same thing on his set up. Stereo sound.

Can you search if the TV speakers options are in pair with Xbox One options? Put both TV and Xbox One for PCM linear or put both TV and Xbox One for Bitstream either Douby or DTS. See if you spot difference while changing.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I had never heard of this guy until I say his name popping up under the soundtrack video, but apparently he is a pretty big youtuber. Having a gameplay video of SoR4 with over 1 million viewers will hopefully give sales a boost. He definitely seems into the game!

Coreys my boy, lol me and my son luv watching him. He's a clown, funny character, very entertaining.

BTW Streets of Rage 4 is dope, I beat it and am replaying with og characters.

Can you search if the TV speakers options are in pair with Xbox One options? Put both TV and Xbox One for PCM linear or put both TV and Xbox One for Bitstream either Douby or DTS. See if you spot difference while changing.
Thanks Will see. But are you sure the laugh is actually in here.

just tray

Good game not great but definitely one of the best side scrolling beat em ups.

Missing a selectable music player and some tunes from the Sega games. Most of the music is great, I'm sure everyone has their favorites and dislikes and switch back an forth between SOR4 and retro. Some levels seem too short. Great stage design minus a few annoyances

Please add a music player. This game rewards skill, you aren't going to button mash your way throigh this.

Played single player now completing on hard.

This game pissed me off at times. I complained about there being no way to finish it on single player after getting pounded by multiple characters. For me switching characters helped. Floyd is underated but slow as mollases. Can't wait until SOR5

I would give it a solid 8.5. I would have like to have played as story characters and selected tracks while playing and some great retro tracked aren't in the game. Should read some retro tracks

plushyp

Saw the videos and can't see any statistics written for the characters in the select screen. Have they removed them because they were there in the previous trilogy detailing the power, speed etc.

RAIDEN1

I hear there is a patch on the way for the X-Box version, does that mean it will be inline with the PS4 and PC version in terms of features?

Fake

I hear there is a patch on the way for the X-Box version, does that mean it will be inline with the PS4 and PC version in terms of features?

PC already have the superior version above all. You must be mistaking 'PC' with 'Windows Store' and 'Steam' version. Yeah, I guess someone said here there is a patch coming to fix all those missing options on Xbox and Windows Store version. Dunno when.

Messing around with the audio settings didnt work for me, PCM, bitstream etc. Just need someone else to confirm the big guys dont laugh on Xbox LOl. well they laugh but nothing comes out. Unless its just some issue with my TV.

Fake

Messing around with the audio settings didnt work for me, PCM, bitstream etc. Just need someone else to confirm the big guys dont laugh on Xbox LOl. well they laugh but nothing comes out. Unless its just some issue with my TV.

So is better wait for the patch. I got an ideia. Send a PM for the team behind this game. They're actually pretty good answer questions. They already answer two of my question from Wonderboy and SOR4. Give a try.

PhoenixTank

Saw the videos and can't see any statistics written for the characters in the select screen. Have they removed them because they were there in the previous trilogy detailing the power, speed etc.
Yooo, the stats are hidden away in the "Extra" menu, under character info. Just stumbled upon them while looking at the art.

dcx4610

Beat the game yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm still not a big fan of the art style but the gameplay and music felt like Streets of Rage and that makes it a worthy sequel.

That said, it's very old school with very little modern sensibilities and that will be a turn off for a lot of people. It's veryu short and unless you care about unlocking things, there's really no reason to play it again other than just to play it again. The same could be said about any arcade, NES/Genesis/SNES beat em up though. You beat it and you are done.

No running (other than one character), very basic controls and just simple all around. Part of me likes that but at the same time, I kinda wish there was more to it.

My biggest request would be a retro mode with all of the stages and characters re-done in 16-bit. Again, not a huge fan of the art style and if they just did the entire game in pixel art, I think it would have felt a little more like SoR. The graphics have grown on me but I don't know if it's the right tone for the series.

Soodanim

There is no way I will be finishing the game on Mania, I can’t even pass the dual robots on stage 1. Between the super armour and the flying poles, it’s ridiculous. Maybe I could throw the poles away. I also tire of the acid/fire duo boss, between the constant slow downs and knock downs from the acid and fire and the grab attacks, I have stopped enjoying that boss. I need a break.

I’m also getting terrible performance online, and I don’t know if it’s my connection or something to do with the net code. For short periods of time the game goes back to being smooth, but then combat returns and bam it’s a stuttery mess. Maybe I would have better luck with Steam’s remote play method, anyone tried that?
Beat the game yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm still not a big fan of the art style but the gameplay and music felt like Streets of Rage and that makes it a worthy sequel.

That said, it's very old school with very little modern sensibilities and that will be a turn off for a lot of people. It's veryu short and unless you care about unlocking things, there's really no reason to play it again other than just to play it again. The same could be said about any arcade, NES/Genesis/SNES beat em up though. You beat it and you are done.

No running (other than one character), very basic controls and just simple all around. Part of me likes that but at the same time, I kinda wish there was more to it.

My biggest request would be a retro mode with all of the stages and characters re-done in 16-bit. Again, not a huge fan of the art style and if they just did the entire game in pixel art, I think it would have felt a little more like SoR. The graphics have grown on me but I don't know if it's the right tone for the series.
That’s the thing with games like this they are faithful in as many aspects as possible. It has 50% more stages than previous games, and any longer would likely make it drag too much. I can’t think of any way of lengthening the game without suffering from fatigue without taking the game away from the “You are as powerful as you’re going to get from the start” way of doing things and moving more towards a verb progression system, but then it wouldn’t be Streets of Rage.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There is no way I will be finishing the game on Mania, I can’t even pass the dual robots on stage 1. Between the super armour and the flying poles, it’s ridiculous. Maybe I could throw the poles away. I also tire of the acid/fire duo boss, between the constant slow downs and knock downs from the acid and fire and the grab attacks, I have stopped enjoying that boss. I need a break.

I’m also getting terrible performance online, and I don’t know if it’s my connection or something to do with the net code. For short periods of time the game goes back to being smooth, but then combat returns and bam it’s a stuttery mess. Maybe I would have better luck with Steam’s remote play method, anyone tried that?

That’s the thing with games like this they are faithful in as many aspects as possible. It has 50% more stages than previous games, and any longer would likely make it drag too much. I can’t think of any way of lengthening the game without suffering from fatigue without taking the game away from the “You are as powerful as you’re going to get from the start” way of doing things and moving more towards a verb progression system, but then it wouldn’t be Streets of Rage.
I beat Mania with Floyd with max extra lives, finished many levels with multiple unused lives so I'll try for some better scores soon on stage select runs. Floyd's dual grab is almost required with the waves of enemies.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
michaeldmelo_StreetsofRage4_20200430_12-21-49-1-1024x576.png

It's only me or this is a Robocop reference?

Rran

This game is excellent. I'd like to get some more advanced boss strategies, though, because their super armor doesn't give me much play to improvise. Like, the stage 6 boss seems to always shake me off when I try to throw him, so I had to wear him down with punch combos. Is there no other trick to taking him down?

Not sure who I like the most, still trying everyone. I've played the most as Axel so far and he's lots of fun but a tad sluggish.

Legit question, IS this game any good, Had it on Gamepass played for about 5mins then had to go out, Got it on the switch played for about another 10mins not played since then.

Am I missing something major with this game?

TaroYamada

So what's the best strat on Big Ben (fatty who charges you) and the jump kick girls. So far my strat on jump kick girls is throws, that's where they seem most vulnerable but closing the space between me vs. them is a point of difficulty. Anyone have strategies they're deploying on these two enemy types specifically?

Erdrick

This game is... Very good.

While I still would prefer a more pixel style for the art, this is perfectly fine and not bad by any stretch. As someone who loves the soundtracks of the previous 3 games, that is what drew me to this one the most. I've purposefully avoided hearing most music until I actually play and get to it in game to experience it firsthand. Currently getting my ass kicked by Barbon, but I'll be damned if I don't love jamming out to the tunes while he does so.

Well, WELL worth the long wait and great job by everyone involved. Not the best thing ever, but just what it set out to be. A new SoR for the first time in almost 3 decades. It's got that itch that calls me back for one more try...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So what's the best strat on Big Ben (fatty who charges you) and the jump kick girls. So far my strat on jump kick girls is throws, that's where they seem most vulnerable but closing the space between me vs. them is a point of difficulty. Anyone have strategies they're deploying on these two enemy types specifically?
Those are the two toughest types for me too.

Fire fatties are easier. Just side step when they blow fire. Dont stand next to them when they get off the ground.

Jumping fatties are harder. Dont know how to cancel the jump. I might try timing a straight vertical jump kick.
Jumpkick girls are my nemesis. Dont know how to consistently dodge it. Axel, Blaze and Adam all have good enough jumpkicks to just meet them in the air and counter there to close the distance. Floyd, might be worth it to spend the meter on his distance grab or his air super bounce to close the distance with a jumpkick. Difficult when outnumbered.

Legit question, IS this game any good, Had it on Gamepass played for about 5mins then had to go out, Got it on the switch played for about another 10mins not played since then.

Am I missing something major with this game?
What were your expectations going into it? Did you grow up with the Genesis/SNES or are do you fall in another category and are sampling the hype? I can see why this could be a disappointment to some, btw, but it’s a freakishly amazing product for people who lived through the 16 bit wars.

Soodanim

Currently getting my ass kicked by Barbon, but I'll be damned if I don't love jamming out to the tunes while he does so.

Assuming it’s Barbon’s multiple spin kicks with hyper armour, just do a straight jump up and the iframes will avoid the hit.

I beat Mania with Floyd with max extra lives, finished many levels with multiple unused lives so I'll try for some better scores soon on stage select runs. Floyd's dual grab is almost required with the waves of enemies.
I might give that a go. I like Mania modes in SOR, they are great fun. But the hyper armour stuff is taking away from it a bit, so maybe Floyd’s own iframes are the counter I need.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
I think this is really hard. Ace, but hard, stage 4 boss took 2 lives off me, the policewoman. Is the flashing of enemies showing their iframes? The fat fire blowers seem to have loads, as do bosses. I feel like im missing mechanics.

Nixonomics

I think this is really hard. Ace, but hard, stage 4 boss took 2 lives off me, the policewoman. Is the flashing of enemies showing their iframes? The fat fire blowers seem to have loads, as do bosses. I feel like im missing mechanics.

Yeah the white flashes mean they have hyper armor. So you can hurt them but not interrupt them. They're at specific times, usually after they get up or at the start of certain attacks. Red flashes mean they're going to try to grab you.

I think the best tip is to learn to take advantage of the i frames during your neutral special attacks. You can just power through a lot of attacks with that if you time it right. Makes for a great panic move. Its only your defensive/neutral special that has i frames. Not the jump special or the forward special.

angelic

Banned
Yeah the white flashes mean they have hyper armor. So you can hurt them but not interrupt them. They're at specific times, usually after they get up or at the start of certain attacks. Red flashes mean they're going to try to grab you.

I think the best tip is to learn to take advantage of the i frames during your neutral special attacks. You can just power through a lot of attacks with that if you time it right. Makes for a great panic move. Its only your defensive/neutral special that has i frames. Not the jump special or the forward special.

Ah, I really appreciate this, cheers. I've been using Blaze, my favourite, but always using the forward special not neutral, and wondering why im getting hit. I even had my star moves turned off in the menu somehow. Loving it though, screen side wall juggling is a brilliant idea.

Nixonomics

Ah, I really appreciate this, cheers. I've been using Blaze, my favourite, but always using the forward special not neutral, and wondering why im getting hit. I even had my star moves turned off in the menu somehow. Loving it though, screen side wall juggling is a brilliant idea.

Of course! Hope it helps! Blaze is so much fun. Just FYI in case you didn't know for Blaze her forward forward attack (think it's called a blitz attack?) will actually bounce enemies up from off the ground and allow you to continue your combo. She's really great at keeping up the offense because of that.

Kerlesly

Neo Member
I've been playing it for a while now. Haven't tested online yet. Super armor in enemies is definitely off putting as well as moblity in certain aspects.

To get S rank on hard and higher your options are sor1 axel, so3 skate and floyd. Skate destroy bosses.

Soundtrack nails it no questions there, just a couple of hit sounds that could be much more satisfying.

Great game fully recommended.

Top Bottom