• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
a00_city_gate_temp087b.jpg

Why is he wearing leather school shoes? The only thing obviously different compared to his original are the shoes.

LuuKyK

I was bored by just watching the gameplay video. Cant imagine myself playing it honestly. Also, of course, Double Helix doesnt inspire confidence at all.

2San

Lol why is everybody giving work to such an unproven developer? And these aren't even unimportant franchises. Killer Instinct? And now Strider? It's really strange.

And I almost forgot about what they did to Silent Hill.
They make technically fine games. That the games aren't fun the play isn't because the game are badly coded(I have only played Front Mission though). With KI they where the only studio that sent in a playable demo that actually worked to MS. KI looks good.

Sgblues

Hmm I dunno what is it with sound and Capcom games/reboots coming out now but they either replace all the classic sound effects or put in ones that lack any kind of real impact and makes the games lackluster.

Bolded the important part of this statement.
Certainly, but it was all ROcksteady had to its name. At least DH is being very open with KI fans and are making a concerted effort to stave off any of premature dismissal. I don't see anything DH has shown between KI and Strider now that has any semblance of the quality of games they were pushing out before.

LordJim

A for people complaining about the damage, it's obviously low as hell for demo reasons. You can't even die in the demo.

Healthbar and way projectiles worked seemed like they expect you to soak up damage.
It kills some of the tension original strider had.
I hope there are also pitfalls and environmental hazards, cause the trailer did not show any.

Gartooth

Never expected it to be on Wii U, I bet the only reason Ducktales is on Wii U is due to WayForward's experience with the system. Unless its a Mega Man game (due to Nintendo fanbase overlap) I don't expect Capcom's presence on Wii U.

El Sloth

Banned
I believe they'll deliver a 6/10 product.
Man, you really have no faith in these guys! Well, I can sort of see what you mean. Watching the gameplay trailers you can see DH's blatant love for lots of particle effects, essentially leaving their own DH flavored stamp on the game.

However, I like what I'm seeing so far. I choose to remain optimistic.

Zabka

Looks pretty awesome. The health/damage changes make sense for a Metroidvania game.

This reminded me to check Bionic Commando on the Steam summer sale. $2.50 or $5 with Rearmed...not bad.

CamHostage

Do you honestly believe Double Helix will not be able to do the work handed to them? Do you really believe them to be so completely and irredeemably incompetent? Serious question, no snark intended.

So, the business of development and the art of development are two different jobs that often do not jive. Double Helix Games so far has been a company that seems to have taken the jobs for the money rather than the prestige, and its rep has suffered for it; sadly, the games that should have been AAA-efforts at Double Helix (Silent Hill Homecoming, Front Mission Evolved) have not been the quality efforts that would show this team capable.

But it's a funny business, and talent can be found even in the credits list of shitty games. Double Helix was formerly The Collective and Shiny Entertainment (although the manpower has of course changed a ton since the 2007 merger,) and the Foundation 9 / Backbone studios did have good workers there even though they often couldn't prove it on the insane delivery schedules its management booked jobs with. Holding something like GI Joe: Rise of Cobra or Green Lantern or Battleship against the team may not be a fair assessment of talent (though it is a fair assessment of mindset and approach to product value) because those games were made to meet a franchise need rather than be special in any way.

We don't know yet what Double Helix in this day and age (and we're half a decade away from the last time this team was really trusted in Silent Hill Homecoming, which was The Collective rather than the combined team) is capable of on a well-financed, well-scheduled, well-intentioned game. Hopefully, this Strider is that game (and the KI project) that proves them capable. Teams do resurrect themselves after lean or bad years, and there are lots of cases where a studio label you thought was poison actually gets stuck on a good game. And particularly now when we're in an era of platform change, particularly when the scope and pricing of games can be rethought (I see old-school design being re-evaluated almost as much as when the XBLA revolution ignited,) this is a time when development teams can re-dedicate themselves to finding an appropriate niche and defining themselves. I can't point to any other game by GRIN that I would have bought, but when Capcom teamed up with that team for Bionic Commando Rearmed, they somehow produced magic.This could be that again. Or, not...

Doikor

Btw double helix is formed from a merger of two studios (the collective and shiny) so here is a more complete list of games they have made

From collective:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Fallen (2000)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2002)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (2003)
Wrath Unleashed (2004)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure (2006)
The Da Vinci Code (2006)

From shiny:
Earthworm Jim (1994)
Earthworm Jim 2 (1995)
MDK (1997)
Wild 9 (1998)
R/C Stunt Copter (1999),
Messiah (2000)
Sacrifice (2000)
Enter the Matrix (2003)
The Matrix: Path of Neo (2005)
The Golden Compass (2007)

It's mostly licensed crap but has a couple good games (MDK)

Nyoro SF

This game has probably been worked on for a while; since the 8 DLC characters for UMvC3 (which include Strider) were planned around Vanilla UMvC3's release, that means this game must have been in dev hell for a while.

Def Jukie

Certainly, but it was all ROcksteady had to its name. At least DH is being very open with KI fans and are making a concerted effort to stave off any of premature dismissal. I don't see anything DH has shown between KI and Strider now that has any semblance of the quality of games they were pushing out before.

Exactly. This is what I was trying to point out. Rocksteady's first game wasn't good. They figured it out with the Batman games. Double Helix has made a decent amount of games at this point and they are all mediocre to terrible. I hope this turns out to be a great game but with Double Helix at the helm people have the right to be skeptical.

This game has probably been worked on for a while; since the 8 DLC characters for UMvC3 (which include Strider) were planned around Vanilla UMvC3's release, that means this game must have been in dev hell for a while.

Probably started development internally, got canned, and then the corpse has been left on DH doorstep.

Cels

Man, you really have no faith in these guys! Well, I can sort of see what you mean. Watching the gameplay trailers you can see DH's blatant love for lots of particle effects, essentially leaving their own DH flavored stamp on the game.

However, I like what I'm seeing so far. I choose to remain optimistic.

I wish them the best as well but honestly I don't expect anything but mediocrity from them at this point. Their games that I've played were bad, and the games I didn't play were reviewed poorly.

I thought NT made a good effort with Dmc after the blahness of heavenly sword and enslaved, but it still wasn't a worthy successor to dmc1 or 3, or even 4.

Still I hope they deliver.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is this PSN/XBLA? I honestly can't see this as a $60 retail game for some reason.

No faith in Double Helix btw (or Capcom for the most part). Their record speaks for itself. Prove us wrong.

Hiltz

I couldn't help notice how the enemy soldiers have tight asses. I don't know, maybe it's just the pants their wearing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Healthbar and way projectiles worked seemed like they expect you to soak up damage.
It kills some of the tension original strider had.
I hope there are also pitfalls and environmental hazards, cause the trailer did not show any.

I'm sure there will be a hard mode where projectiles do 10/15 damage each instead of 1

CamHostage

Capcom's "classics reborn" track record

Strider (??)
iK9hxRGV76yCy.gif

DuckTales: Remastered (2013)
screenlg1.jpg

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (2011)
screenlg2.jpg

Mega Man 9 / Mega Man 10 (2008/2010)
screenlg3.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

1942: Joint Strike (2008)
screenlg3.jpg

Commando 3 (2008)
screenlg2.jpg

Bionic Commando Rearmed (2008)
screenlg4.jpg

Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (2008)
screenlg13.jpg

They also have enhanced emulation ports/compilations like Darkstalkers Resurrection, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (US/UK & JP versions,) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD, MvC Origins and Capcom Arcade Cabinet, but I'm not including those as those are about the port quality rather than the new gameplay design and faithfulness or not to the spirit of the original.

Famassu

Not in a million years.

People are too reluctant to give DH a chance just because all they've and admitted to doing is bad licensed games.
Ninja Theory's games have mostly been rough around the edges but still games that can be enjoyable for people who don't nitpick about framerate or screen tearing and DmC is a legitimately good game, easily surpassing the combat systems of stuff like God of War, which people have no problem liking & praising them to high heavens. It's not gold/god tier like DMC1, 3 & 4, but there's more to the spectrum of quality than Shit vs. God Tier. It plays well, has a decent amount of depth & challenge and doesn't have any massive issues. Platinum Games non-withstanding, it's one of the best action games of this generation (I mean, Bayonetta is on a completely different level of awesome).

In comparison, Double Helix has developed incredibly shitty games that have absolutely NO redeeming qualities, no matter if it's been a game IP with decent budget like Silent Hill or a movie game.

Top Bottom