• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Videoneon

So having seen that 7minute gameplay video, and as someone who's never played Strider,

Gameplay wise seems pretty good. Fairly fast, fairly smooth. My minor gripes include: the objective spamming (OK, I'll get the upgrade, okay, I know the input to go under floors, stop) and the changing of names for attacks. Why is Gram "Charge"? Why are the drones for Ouroboros (which should require two, I guess) just called "Bot"?

Visually, sort of drab but understandable considering the environment surveyed. Do like the use of color for Cypher and the enemies. At least it's not as particle palooza as Killer Instinct. We haven't surveyed everywhere but not too bad.

Musically it's an abomination.

I'm cautiously optimistic, chances are I'll buy it just to see how it turns out.

Kikujiro

Except Double Helix made Silent Hill Homecoming and Front Mission Evolved, two games that had a lot of support, but still turned out to be awful.

Why am I supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt here after being burned twice, arguably by their biggest high-rollers?

Front Mission didn't have any support, since none of the original Front Mission team worked on the game.

P44

You see, I'm looking at strider, and thinking this looks pretty...crap, its just very janky animations, overly bright hit sparks and pretty bland gameplay, like some sub par psn game.

Then I'm thinking.

How much do I really want a UN squadron remake/sequel.

And then I look back at strider.

And then I think

not that much..

So basically DH can (maybe) make good games if they have constant supervision/babysitting, like Rare and Retro Studios. Awesome

Oh my God, you guys are impossible.

Yeesh.

I think it looks fine...but maybe I'm not just a very critical person. Hah. I'm really looking forward to this and Killer Instinct.

Anyway, I somehow forgot that I had a Strider poster and action figure hanging by my monitor while all of this info was coming out...

uekEEhYh.jpg

qeQFAvlh.jpg

H66jwTqh.jpg

Damn...GAF is so distracting that I completely forget what my room looks like!

I threw in my games in there because...why not? :p

Can't wait to see more of the game. Also curious as to whether it's a downloadable or retail game...though I imagine it's likely the former.

Also, I think too many people are looking at this game from an arcade mentality with all of the damage stuff I saw being mentioned here. This game isn't designed to be like an arcade game. Taking large amounts of damage in a game designed with a big, open world like Metroid and the post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania games just wouldn't work. They have different gameplay needs. NES Strider was more of an open world type of game, and that didn't kill you really fast, either.

I wouldn't mind a new arcade-style Strider game, though, but I'm cool with this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Haven't been paying attention to Capcom's attitude towards the Vita, huh?

Haha, you certainly have a point. I'm just not seeing anything that would prohibit a port to either Wii U or Vita. Weird. But hey, the worst selling console/handheld gets what is coming to them.

abadguy

Banned
really? sorry but maybe you need to stop trolling and actually look at it again. game looks amazing.

According to just about everyone who's gotten their hands on it , plays well too. As for Strider , so far i am liking the look of it. Cool how they remixed the opening them from the original Arcade/Genesis version. I hope the entire soundtrack makes it in. If there is one problem i had with the gameplay footage it's that i didn't see any momentum based platforming. Hopefully that's in since it's a big part of Strider's gameplay.

I think it looks fine...but maybe I'm not just a very critical person. Hah. I'm really looking forward to this and Killer Instinct.

Anyway, I somehow forgot that I had a Strider poster and action figure hanging by my monitor while all of this info was coming out...

Damn...GAF is so distracting that I completely forget what my room looks like!

I threw in my games in there because...why not? :p

Can't wait to see more of the game. Also curious as to whether it's a downloadable or retail game...though I imagine it's likely the former.

Also, I think too many people are looking at this game from an arcade mentality with all of the damage stuff I saw being mentioned here. This game isn't designed to be like an arcade game. Taking large amounts of damage in a game designed with a big, open world like Metroid and the post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania games just wouldn't work. They have different gameplay needs. NES Strider was more of an open world type of game, and that didn't kill you really fast, either.

I wouldn't mind a new arcade-style Strider game, though, but I'm cool this.

I want that Strider poster!

I'm not sure if they still make them...SNK-Capcom's been pretty much dead for the last few years. The guy who runs the site (and also runs Arcade Shock) sent me that and a few other posters years ago along with some other stuff just for being a mod back then. He was a cool dude.

Too bad. That poster looks pretty badass. Cool that he hooked you up with one though.

I want that Strider poster!

I'm not sure if they still make them...SNK-Capcom's been pretty much dead for the last few years. The guy who runs the site (and also runs Arcade Shock) sent me that and a few other posters years ago along with some other stuff just for being a mod back then. He was a cool dude.

By the way, I'd love a poster of this to go with my other one:

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
LOL at a lot of reactions here.

Btw, Strider was also a NES game with a semi-Metroid structure. It's not just the original arcade version.

Honestly to me this looks like the only way to update Strider as a modern console game with lavish graphics - as a 2D metroidvania. A 2D arcade style Strider would be 30 minutes in length and never get the budget this thing looks to have. Otherwise, what would you want? A linear filmic Uncharted clone?

Capcom's "classics reborn" track record

They also have enhanced emulation ports/compilations like Darkstalkers Resurrection, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (US/UK & JP versions,) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD, MvC Origins and Capcom Arcade Cabinet, but I'm not including those as those are about the port quality rather than the new gameplay design and faithfulness or not to the spirit of the original.

Dont forget their wonderful re-imagining of Final Fight!

Wonko_C

Back in the PS2 era I always dreamed that the way to bring back Strider was in Metroidvania form. Now that I mention it, the NES Strider kind of tried something like that. The only thing that I don't like is that Hiryu is a bullet-sponge and isn't pushed back like in the old games.

Whompa

Here's my gut reaction:

You know what this game needs? A Heart. Style. Energy. Emotion. It needs a semblance of it existing among a crowded market of side scrollers. It looks consistently lifeless. Like a videogame where the enemies all went on break and the building crew didn't bother finishing the architecture. The animations lack the speed and adrenaline that you'd come to expect from this IP. Still I'm playing optimistic that this is just really early and things may change...hopefully drastically. Right now, It's not enough.

It only makes me want another Shinobi game starring a much cooler ninja that actually has style:

2751614-446364_hotsuma_large.png

Rocwell

Getting BC:Rearmed vibes from the gameplay demo. Art direction isn't really to my taste but the game seems to move like Strider. Cautiously optimistic for this.

Are people really upset that they had damage turned down so they could record the demo video? It's obviously not going to be like that on the harder difficulties in the final release.

rhino4evr

I would have to agree that strider seemed to take a lot of bullets. This looks like a mix of the old NES one and the genesis one. Best of both words. Strider was originally know for EPIC bosses...so I'm hoping it lives up to that.

Mr. X

I liked the PS1 Strider game and the old Strider.

This seems a bit slower but this could definitely be a worthy Strider game.

I wonder what the Strider creator thinks about taking Strider to something not 2D sidescroller.

Here's my gut reaction:

You know what this game needs? A Heart. Style. Energy. Emotion. It needs a semblance of it existing among a crowded market of side scrollers. It looks consistently lifeless. Like a videogame where the enemies all went on break and the building crew didn't bother finishing the architecture. The animations lack the speed and adrenaline that you'd come to expect from this IP. Still I'm playing optimistic that this is just really early and things may change...hopefully drastically. Right now, It's not enough.

It only makes me want another Shinobi game starring a much cooler ninja that actually has style:

2751614-446364_hotsuma_large.png

I still have my Shinobi copy, never finished it

vg260

It's does have a very Bionic Commando Rearmed-equse look. Not really a bad thing, as that game was great, but the visual style left something to be desired. At a lot of re-imagined classics seems to share it. Kinda dark ans shadowy. I think this might have been more striking if more colorful and cartoony.

RedSwirl

Any chance of this fast-tracking a re-release of Strider 2? It's one of the last PS1 games I'm trying to track down for a not-insane price.

I haven't played Strider since the 16 bit era, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this game.

EXCEPT FOR THE RUNNING ANIMATION!

Fix it. Nobody runs slanted that far forward.

The only thing that bothers me is the game doesnt feel solid, there is no recoil.

like it would be a breeze to blow through the whole game.

Top Bottom