• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (not sexualised) female characters in this generation?

charsace

Kinyou said:
The only problem I have with Anya is that Gears 1 and 2 implied that it takes these huge steroid filled men to fight these monstrous locust, but with Anya now suddenly chainsawdueling her way through the battlefield like the freaking Cole train, this simply feels inconsistent. Wouldn't have minded if she had gained some muscle mass for Gears 3
Athletic women don't build up muscle mass like men do generally. It takes a lot of work for a woman to look big and cut up. She is smaller than the men, but she doesn't look small like she's a model are something.

Amir0x

Banned
pakkit said:
Except she is the one leading the man. The whole journey took place because of Trip, and the journey finishes because of Trip's thirst for revenge. Heck, the story ENDS because of Trip's initiative.

Monkey is just brawn.

She's not leading the man; she's CONTROLLING the man. Literally with a control collar, because that's about as subtle as these retarded writers get these days. Because as we all know females are controlling and they must exert that control to get the man to do what they want.

Everything about the relationship between Trip and Monkey is crude and defined explicitly by their sexualized gender roles. I mean it's bad enough the writing is awful, but when you get right down to it it's incredibly tasteless.

This is why the writing quality in gaming will never improve. Because crap like this gets lauded in reviews as some sort of groundbreaking cinematic storytelling initiative, and fans lay down and take it raw without ever questioning. As long as one can lower their standards far enough, who needs to improve the industries stories?

Solidsnakex said:
I think that they're referring to situations in the story. Something to suggest that she screwed up and not the player. She's generally really good at getting out of any situation without being injured.

I guess, but that's just gaming in general. They put characters in outrageous situations and then you escape by the "skin of your neck" or whatever. That's classic Indiana Jones archetype, just like Lara Croft really is technically.

But in action Lara Croft is about as non-invincible as she gets. Hard to imagine that she is considered invincible when you consider the games she has been in :(

Jerk said:
I like Morrigan for the same reason as well.

Unfortunately, I had a pretty good understanding of her character and got really high influence with her really quickly; she is MUCH too sweet after she likes you.

Yeah I'd rather she like me but still be a sarcastic condescending asshole.

FreeMufasa

Saty said:
enslaved_trip_closeup-1024x576.jpg

lol no way.

"OMG Monkey, help me!!"
"Monkey, come quick, QUICK. HELP"
"Help me Monkey, omg"

I like Trip but i'd say she's one of the weakest female characters this gen.

fernoca

Devolution said:
I think the problem is saturation for the most part. That's why characters who are sexualized but still have personalities get swept up in the "this character is too sexualized" talk, because of all the ones who literally are nothing but walking tits and ass. I don't think all characters need to be tomboyish like me, that doesn't appeal to everyone. But there is quite a saturation of military/rogue-ish women who are designed in a manner so their tits, mid-drift and or ass is out. And when this image is constantly replicated, even in well rounded characters, it's hard to draw the line.

Frankly I think people are giving some well reasoned arguments in here but we don't have to necessarily clothe women up to extreme degrees to offset the bikini clad ones. I think if anything, the focus should be on the writing. She gets a lot of flack but I fucking loved Morrigan from Dragon Age. Such a sarcastic asshole.
That, I agree.

Writing and development is key and sadly, most female roles in games are basically "just there" either to be rescued at some point, or to give advice or as the male-lead character's love interest.

I mean, for example: Madison in Heavy Rain. Her character was nicely done, strong, independent, etc. Yet, most probably remember her for her "sexy dance" later in the game or her shower scene early on; where she later defeats some burglars just wearing a shirt and panties.

To me there was nothing "sexualized" about that, I mean she just took a shower and was at her home when attacked; yet some act as if they used that to sell the game.

Billychu said:
Samus. Oh wait, THIS generation. Never mind.
This post is pretty much the only one that has hung on the addition of the words "this generation" to the OP's question, which is what I think is the distinction that makes this thread interesting. Otherwise this thread has been pretty much the same old "female characters in video games" thread that comes around every few months.

Amir0x

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
lol no way.

"OMG Monkey, help me!!"
"Monkey, come quick, QUICK. HELP"
"Help me Monkey, omg"

I like Trip but i'd say she's one of the weakest female characters this gen.

But she can type on keyboards and fix mechanical objects, because she's SMART. She just needs a STRONG MAN to get her through this world! Because behind every female is a man just waiting to cradle her in his veiny-arms, consoling her in her overly emotional states and when she has her time of the month.

Isn't that just the strongest example of female power you can think of? And what an exemplary showcase for male chivalry!

HYDE

Banned
I think this stupid thread is dumb.

But my contribution is Celeste:

images

she trains you and then you find out she is a traitor while fighting her later.

Thread should be changed to: Females characters you love, that don't give you a personal hard on.

charsace said:
There is nothing wrong with characters being sexualised. The problem is when its done to an extreme like it is with most women in gaming. I'm seeing people putting up characters like Lightning who wear impractical clothing and moves around in the game like she's modeling, even during battles. How is that not sexualised? Unless people think women that participate in combat sports or are in armies make sure to move like they are on a catwalk and wear insanely short skirts and tight, restrictive clothing?

Eh?

I really can't see the jump and flips Lightning does as being sexualized. I mean yeah, it's obviously impractical acrobat combat and all that [which is par the course for... well most media in general] but sexualized? I kinda have a hard time believing that.

Hell, I don't even think Vanille's movement in battle was sexualized at all, Her voice acting is another manner, though I think that wasn't the intent... or a case of a horrible voice director.

As for the topic at hand... eh. I've been down this road way too many times for me to care. People always like to think that this particular topic is black and white when it really isn't.

Sunflower said:
Is that chauvinism? Or is that dominance? They're just so different to me. Being a mean-ass world-eating bastard isn't gender-specific. Except the word bastard.
Do you think that the military is not chauvinistic? Want to know how many female soldiers get raped or sexually assaulted? Physicality is not exclusively male, but it is how men retain power over women. So if the overriding theme of your game is about dominating and overpowering your opponent then you're evoking chauvinism. Its like when you call someone a "bi*ch" or how you're going to "own" them or "rape" them. That's all coded sexist language. I mean, duh.
I mean, what do you think chauvinism is?

Elena from Uncharted. She's also like the only female character I can think of that has a voice that doesn't sound like it's one of the 3 or 4 female voice actor archetypes out there.

FoxSpirit

EatChildren said:
FemShep is one of the strongest, non-sexualised (fan 'art' excluded) characters for any video game ever, simply because unlike so many other female characters, she does not suffer from the deliberately 'female' focused writing of men trying to write a character to a very specific set of characteristics (and doing a poor job of it).

A vast majority of FemShep's dialogue is exactly the same as Male Shepard. Sharing the same script allows for character neutrality, as FemShep is not written to speak 'like a woman' but instead like a normal person.

This is likely why so many people gravitate towards FemShep. She possesses all the heroic and strong qualities that Commander Shepard is supposed to, and none of the fragility and deliberate femininity usually imposed on other 'female' leads.
Nice thinking.

Dissonance said:
jvZx6.jpg

Lyn from Fire Emblem.
Wow, hot. *ahem*

I don't think I understand the criteria for sexualized in this topic. Because from reading the last few pages it seems to be "Showing any skin in their outfit and having a perfect body and face" which seems...off

Atolm

Female knights in Demon's Souls. They're strong and you barely notice there's a woman below the armor. It goes against the typical tropes from Japanese fantasy games.

Luthos

lol @ Trip. I liked her/the game, but no.

The only goods ones I've heard, imo, are Bonnie of RDR, Alyx of HL2, and Elena of UC 1 & 2.

ivysaur12

Banned
Vulnerable isn't bad. Women are vulnerable. Men are vulnerable.

The other problem is that most videogame stories are shit, so this conversation is moot.

ivysaur12 said:
Vulnerable isn't bad. Women are vulnerable. Men are vulnerable.

The other problem is that most videogame stories are shit, so this conversation is moot.

This is also an issue, how would one write a vulnerable woman in a game? Good luck striking a balance, and making it relatable instead of "what a whiny little girl."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zoramon089 said:
I don't think I understand the criteria for sexualized in this topic. Because from reading the last few pages it seems to be "Showing any skin in their outfit and having a perfect body and face" which seems...off

It's a bit of a grey area. I dislike the train of thinking that implies any female character possessing sexual desirability is badly written. Chloe from Uncharted 2 is a great example of a very deliberately sexually attractive character who also has a strong, defined personality distinguished from her gender.

ivysaur12

Banned
Devolution said:
This is also an issue, how would one write a vulnerable woman in a game? Good luck striking a balance, and making it relatable instead of "what a whiny little girl."

Crying isn't necessarily a sign of weakness. People cry all the time for legitimate reasons - the death of a loved one, fear, etc. But since most game creators put much more emphasis on their gameplay than their stories (as they should), most of the women in games are stock characters representing stereotypes.

I mean, look at the racks of the women in this thread.

veronica-santangelo.jpg

My vote goes to Veronica Santangelo. The pugilistic power-armoured desert lesbian who likes pretty dresses and busting heads.

Also it's a shame that people struggle to draw a distinction between sexy and sexualised. Cate Archer (see my avatar) is undeniably sexy but isn't sexualised, and that's one of the things which makes her such a great character.

Lesiroth

Izayoi said:
This thread has taught me that any female character is automatically sexualized, no exceptions.

themoreyouknow.gif
Yup, if any pre-existing wood stays that way after looking at that character then she's definitely sexualized.

Go_Ly_Dow

Jigsaw said:
IT'S MASTER AQUA

Forgot about Aqua. Definitely agree.

I will go with Estelle from Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

VgoO8.jpg

When I first saw her I was expecting her character scenes to be filled with horrible anime cliche's and other annoying traits. Was surprised when all of that was missing and instead we received a awesome and well developed character.

Sadist

250px-Ellie_DS2.jpg

Ellie from Dead Space 2

She survives, gets paired up with a nutcase...
her eyeball was pierced and taken out by a screwdriver
she's got game. Also, Lexine Murdoch/Weller is another one.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm glad to see videogames have finally progressed from representing females as magical pixie t&a enablers to a parade of kick ass paper thin mary sues.

we're getting there. soon as devs drop the scrappy doo complex maybe we'll actually have female characters worth giving a fuck about. or male, for that matter.

It depresses me what some of you consider "non-sexualized". Not that there's anything wrong with sexy characters, but at least recognize them as such. They don't have to be Ivy or Bayonetta style caricatures to be meant to be seen as sexually desirable.

And I take objection to a lot of the Japanese game characters mentioned being considered strong. Japan is the worst offender in terms of making even "strong" women nearly useless in comparison to their male counterparts.

Valve has the best ones. Alyx from HL2, Rochelle from L4D2. They're funny, strong-willed, irreverent. A welcome change from the usual, cheesy immaturity.

Top Bottom