• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Students expelled after Facebook group calls for 'execution' of Jews, black people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via The Guardian:
A Nazi-themed Facebook group that called for the “execution” of Jews and African Americans has led to the expulsion of five Boulder, Colorado, high school students in an unusual case of “alt-right” hate speech spreading to teens in a liberal city.

About 15 students participated in a “4th Reich’s Official Group Chat” on Facebook, according to a Boulder police report, which said members discussed “killing all Jews and [N-words]” and encouraged each other to “recruit more members so they can complete their ‘mission’.”

Members wrote messages championing “WHITE POWER!”, posted pictures of guns, called a firearm a “[N-word] BLASTER”, used derogatory terms for gay people, joked about “rape memes”, declared that they “must lynch the [N-words]”, and mocked Mexicans, copies of the group’s chats showed.

The Facebook group, first reported by the local Daily Camera newspaper, was discovered after one of its leaders allegedly committed suicide, reportedly to “show his allegiance to the [Nazi] party and the killing of Jewish people”, a police report said. Officers were also investigating reports that a Boulder Prep high school student was being “threatened and harassed” by classmates.

Participants gave themselves Nazi-themed nicknames, including the Fuhrer, Gruppenfuhrer and Sturmbannführer. They wrote of “the final solution” and the goal to “eradicate all lessers [sic]”, with some writing, “Let’s have fun killing jews” and “You can hang Jews on trees, shoot them right in the knees. Gas as many as you please.”

The students come from a number of local schools. Officials from Boulder Prep, a charter school, told police they had expelled five participants. Most of the students’ names were redacted in the report, except for three who are 18 years old.

Police ultimately decided not to press charges after determining that “there is no evidence or documentation to support there being any credible threat to any students”, officers wrote.

The children are our future. Bring on World War III.

ezrarh

Boulder may be liberal but it's lily white. Doesn't shock me something like this could come from the kids there.

spekkeh

Banned
How far is Boulder from South Park?

hqdefault.jpg

Audioboxer

Going to hope they grow up and realize they were being fucking stupid.

When I was less of an "adult" I got too drunk a few times (or many times!), embarrassed myself and was the brunt of some jokes with friends.

Most people don't behave like this when they are "young". I'd like to see them rehabilitated as much as the next person, but scum like this is often too far gone.

Do that in germany and you'll be prosecuted and probably fined, or if they actually find serious plans for crimes you might end up in jail.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that law. I don't think shit like that should be covered by free speech.

This is just fucked.

What was that one line by Kiefer Sutherland in "A Time to Kill"?

"The Klan has always been right there, under the surface, just waiting for the opportunity to deliver God's justice."

Indeed, America. Indeed. Your country is fucked.

That's crazy they didn't press charges. This isn't the kind of behaviour you can just joke about. At the very LEAST it's a massive red flag. Is hate speech / threat-making not punishable by law?

It's good they were expelled but very worrying that they're still out there.

Isn't that a threat to the other people at the school? That's downright stating they plan to do something, even if they didn't end up doing it.

That's crazy they didn't press charges. This isn't the kind of behaviour you can just joke about. At the very LEAST it's a massive red flag. Is hate speech / threat-making not punishable by law?

It's good they were expelled but very worrying that they're still out there.

*Boulder, Colorado
**USA
*** First Amendment

Nope

The Facebook group, first reported by the local Daily Camera newspaper, was discovered after one of its leaders allegedly committed suicide, reportedly to “show his allegiance to the [Nazi] party and the killing of Jewish people”, a police report said.

cO4syQ8.gif

jerry1594

The Facebook group, first reported by the local Daily Camera newspaper, was discovered after one of its leaders allegedly committed suicide, reportedly to “show his allegiance to the [Nazi] party and the killing of Jewish people”,
Yeah they're just funning around lol

DBT85

Do that in germany and you'll be prosecuted and probably fined, or if they actually find serious plans for crimes you might end up in jail.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that law. I don't think shit like that should be covered by free speech.

Yep.

Dai101

Banned
honestly, kids being influenced by the alt right is the scariest consequence of this election for me.

And this is what a lot of idiots that just disminish trump as "lol, fucking clown" don't realize. He is giving this kind of people a voice, a platform. He's encouraging and invogorizing them.

Isn't that a threat to the other people at the school? That's downright stating they plan to do something, even if they didn't end up doing it.

"Kids will be kids! (but only while white)"

*Boulder, Colorado
**USA
*** First Amendment
**** White folks
Nope

There.

The Kree

Banned
*Boulder, Colorado
**USA
*** First Amendment

Nope

They did this publicly on Facebook while white.

Had they done it privately in a mosque while brown, there would have been a spy among them and they'd already be in detention. But whatever, at least they're expelled.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Glad they were expelled.

Police ultimately decided not to press charges after determining that “there is no evidence or documentation to support there being any credible threat to any students”, officers wrote.

Not surprised at all. Bastards were actively attempting to recruit people and talking about how to kill others, but the police won't do shit about it. I hope they don't act on their words in the future.

They're beyond redemption at this point.
When I was less of an "adult" I got too drunk a few times (or many times!), embarrassed myself and was the brunt of some jokes with friends.

Most people don't behave like this when they are "young". I'd like to see them rehabilitated as much as the next person, but scum like this is often too far gone.
We have a thread in the front page about the son of the founder of the white supremacist forum Storefront and Godson of a KKK leader that was conditioned to be an "heir" abandoning said views entirely after going away to college. Let's not be silly, they're teenagers. You're not the person you were when you we're a teenager, assuming you guys are adults, hell I'm a teenager and I'm not the person I was in 9th or 10th grade (I'm a graduate before anyone asks) and while my situation wouldn't be nearly as extreme, writing off kids as being unable to change when they have their whole lives ahead of them is silly, maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's dependant on the experiences they have in life and what it'll take to make them gain empathy and learn their lesson. Maybe if they were in their 60's you'd have a point, but they're teenagers.

Verelios

Let's take a second to think about this.

Someone killed themselves to make a point in support of being a racist heel shit.

Good riddance to the scum

This reminded me of the one thread with the college students being freaked out at the words Trump2016 being written on a piece of metal and everyone laughing at them because of it. Obviously it's nowhere near on the same level of hate speech in this story but it implies that these alt right people might be at the same school.

Ke0

America's white nationalists are getting as brave as ours here in the UK. I don't think something like this should be covered under the free speech act you guys have but I don't know enough about the laws of the country to say that with any authority/certainty. I don't understand how stuff like this isn't punishable. I think there's a clear difference between saying "I think X group of people are scum" (Despite it being a horrible thing to say) and actively talking about killing groups of people and talking about how to go forward with the idea.

It's really scary (and sad) that the onus is essentially on minority Americans to "teach" and show compassion to these kinds of people who show none to them.

We have a thread in the front page about the son of the founder of the white supremacist forum Storefront and Godson of a KKK leader that was conditioned to be an "heir" abandoning said views entirely after going away to college. Let's not be silly, they're teenagers. You're not the person you were when you we're a teenager, assuming you guys are adults, hell I'm a teenager and I'm not the person I was in 9th or 10th grade (I'm a graduate before anyone asks) and while my situation wouldn't be nearly as extreme, writing off kids as being unable to change when they have their whole lives ahead of them is silly, maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's dependant on the experiences they have in life and what it'll take to make them gain empathy and learn their lesson. Maybe if they were in their 60's you'd have a point, but they're teenagers.
That story also talks about how Derek Black hid his identity because fucking duh.

They're not kids. They know what they're doing. They're a year or two away from being employed in real adult jobs.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That line from Whitney Houston's song The Greatest Love of All:

"I believe the children are the future" is a scary thought right now.

Maybe this is pent up frustrations from having a Black man for president all these years coming out now. And with Trump folks like this feel so empowered.

I hope this is the last time someone with views like Trump make it this far in the election.

I've never even fully understood why anti-Jewish sentiment even exists.

Because some of them are wealthy?

I just don't even understand what is so bothersome about Jewish people.

That story also talks about how Derek Black hid his identity because fucking duh.

They're not kids. They know what they're doing. They're a year or two away from being employed in real adult jobs.

I'm not saying they didn't nor am I defending their actions, I'm saying they still have a ton of growing up to do and things to experience outside of highschool in the real world. Just because you turn 18 doesn't suddenly make you more mature. I'm saying writing them off as "too far gone" at this age is stupid.

Verelios

People can change their minds on their politics sure, but when their guiding principle is to take a bullet to a minorities brain, freaking die for it and then double down on spreading hate to a larger contingent of youths, I'm loathe to believe I should just let it all be water under the bridge as 'youthfullness'. If they do go forward with their misguided ideas are you still going to blame their age and immaturity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom