• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Atheists distrusted as much as rapists

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
It would be interesting to see how the atheists in the group voted. I would have probably picked teacher since that is the only known variable. That one could be an atheist rapist thief.

In any event, it's an odd question and I'm trying to figure out how it ends prejudice.

RedShift

What is it they're afraid atheists will do that's worse than rape? Because rapists definitely do that. Reminds me of this picture I saw on Reddit

hXVpv.jpg

If people have such a fundamental misunderstanding of atheism that they think Stalin is an example of an atheist, then I can start to understand the results of this survey.

it is the same way many atheist have understanding of religious people. Both are not true.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People are conditioned to automatically, reflexively, emotionally, equate God with morality. Period. God is the beginning and the end of "what is right and wrong". Even people who are not stereotypical evangelicals, who aren't biblical literalists, who don't even believe their religion is the only true one... fall back on some vague notion of "god" being the source of what is right and wrong.

In a sense, it's natural. This is one of the reasons why the human notion of god was invented in the first place.

But the problem is that the same emotionally evocative and manipulative mental framework that says "god = goodness" will tell a person "no god = removal of goodness". Within its internal framework, this makes sense. It's not that people are being entirely irrational - it's that their intellectual framework is incomplete and has some concepts confabulated together.

Now, considering that polls can be easily manipulated to massage results, including just HOW you present questions, even what order you place the words in, I'm not so sure about people LITERALLY equating the trustworthiness of atheists with rapists. People who already have trouble conceptualizing "morality" without "god" may be easily mislead by the exact nature of the questions. Even unintentionally misled.

But I think it's generally true that religious people in cultures where religiosity is equated with morality, and god is equated with the very definition of good, will at best see an atheist as someone who is confused and very deluded, and not as sound of judgement as someone who believes in some kind of god.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just random wiki'ing, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin#Religion

There is also stuff about science suppression as well.

EDIT: I can understand the view that he made the communist party similar to that of a religion like Mao (though I do not agree with it).

Wiki says he promoted Atheism as a means to remove obstacles from his vision of a country. He didn't do it for the sake of Atheism.

teh_pwn

Well, Catholic priests have a pretty similar equivalency.

There is no Atheist Alliance church that systematically hides member's acts of genocide. But the Catholic church does little to stop child rape and protects the priests that commit it.

Air

Banned
Wiki says he promoted Atheism as a means to remove obstacles from his vision of a country. He didn't do it for the sake of Atheism.

I see what you're saying, but to throw one last thing in (I don't know if this is getting off topic or not, which is why I want to stay away from the whole stalin/hitler were they atheists or whatever argument)

Stalin followed the position adopted by Lenin that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. (It's the first sentence under the religion section in his wiki)

I think you can argue either way really.

Fusebox

Banned
The funny thing about this is that Hitler hated both Christianity and Atheism.

He sure didn't hate the Pope:

hitler_cardinal-nazis.jpg

And if his quest for the Spear of Destiny is to be believed, it proves that Hitler at least believed in the divinity of Jesus.

People are conditioned to automatically, reflexively, emotionally, equate God with morality. Period. God is the beginning and the end of "what is right and wrong". Even people who are not stereotypical evangelicals, who aren't biblical literalists, who don't even believe their religion is the only true one... fall back on some vague notion of "god" being the source of what is right and wrong.

Given the 'morality' displayed by God in the old and new testaments, and the ease with which he killed and punished people I find it hard to trust anyone who solely and blindly derives their morals from those books.

Well, Catholic priests have a pretty similar equivalency.

Not really, but it is undeniable proof that just because someone labels themselves as religious doesn't mean they have good morals.

JGS

Banned
There is no Atheist Alliance church that systematically hides member's acts of genocide. But the Catholic church does little to stop child rape and protects the priests that commit it.
Let's be honest. That's only because atheists would never be that united.

However, what the Vatican does in handling the scandal has no relation to the guilt of all other priests of child molesting.

That's like condemning all of Russia for the actions of Stalin.
Not really, but it is undeniable proof that just because someone labels themselves as religious doesn't mean they have good morals.
Definitely true. In fact, most of the heinous acts of mankind were committed by people claiming to to be religious. Still doesn't condemn all religion though or even one very big one.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
He sure didn't hate the Pope:

hitler_cardinal-nazis.jpg

And if his quest for the Spear of Destiny is to be believed, it proves that Hitler at least believed in the divinity of Jesus.

Given the 'morality' displayed by God in the old and new testaments, and the ease with which he killed and punished people I find it hard to trust anyone who solely and blindly derives their morales from those books.
Dude please, I've done research papers on this. He made certain public comments (at least early in his career) supporting Christianity to an extent, but privately, he HATED Christianity.

EDIT: I should say that Hitler, at times, showed that he believed Jesus was a prophet that fought against Judaism, but had his message corrupted by Paul and the other apostles, which created modern Christianity.

teh_pwn

Let's be honest. That's only because atheists would never be that united.

You're insane. Yes, the only thing holding back atheists hiding acts of genocide is lack of unity. Crazy.

Fusebox

Banned
Dude please, I've done research papers on this. He made certain public comments (at least early in his career) supporting Christianity to an extent, but privately, he HATED Christianity.

Hitler wasn't exactly known for being the kind of person who kept his hate private, but I'm sure he did hate Christianity as it diluted his power-base. On that other hand, that doesn't disprove his belief in God.

etiolate

Banned
Among the conclusions is a sense of trust in others

Obviously.

Faith is interlinked with trust, both important for a social and communal species with the intelligence to be false and be aware of others falseness.

PJV3

My dad has become a born again christian and believes i should burn in a lake of fire for eternity unless i accept Christ, i don't know why i should, outside of dedicated masterbation i'm quite a decent chap.

Angry Fork

However, what the Vatican does in handling the scandal has no relation to the guilt of all other priests of child molesting.

But by ignoring it or covering up for the priests they say that that keeping the 'good' reputation of the church is more important than justice for the children, so yea they're just as guilty.

teh_pwn

To say that the only thing holding back Atheists from covering up acts of genocide is lack of unity is crazy because:
1. There aren't people committing genocide in the name of atheism.
2. There is no book of ideas that could be interpreted in any way, whether to be a good person or commit genocide.
3. Communism is not Atheism.

JGS

Banned
But by ignoring it or covering up for the priests they say that that keeping the 'good' reputation of the church is more important than justice for the children, so yea they're just as guilty.
You're assuming that Father Flanagan in Pundunk Parish #4 is covering up something. I challenge that notion.

Plus, we can't ignore the whole confidentiality thing anyway which confuses tons of people religious areas or not. Don't want to add fuel to the fire though on that one.

Fusebox

Banned
There's some dumb shit being thrown around in this thread. Not the least of which is that study.

I blame the descent of this thread on the muppet who tried to equate Stalinism to Atheism. Now it's just Theism vs Atheism round 2.

Having said that, my Atheism just wavered a little!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454979

Actress Salma Hayek, who is known for her curvaceous body, has revealed that as a teenager she suffered from body confidence crisis.

The Mexican actress while appearing on 'The Graham Norton Show' to promote her new film 'Puss In Boots' confessed to turning to Christ in a bid to boost her assets.

"I was the youngest in class and all these girls were starting to get them (breasts) and I wasn't getting anything - I was really scared," the Daily Mail quoted her as saying.I was getting teased a lot because everyone was older and I was the skinny tomboy," she said.

The 45-year-old even went to a Church where they had a Saint who did a lot of miracle in an effort to get boobs.

"I went to a church that had a saint that was supposed to do a lot of miracles.

"I put my hands in the holy water and went: "Please Jesus give me some boobs,"' she added.

JGS

Banned
Because:
1. There aren't people committing genocide in the name of atheism.
2. There is no book of ideas that could be interpreted in any way, whether to be a good person or commit genocide.
3. Communism is not Atheism.
Umm, none of those relate to my statement. Thanks for playing though.

SolKane

In a sense, it's natural. This is one of the reasons why the human notion of god was invented in the first place.

But the problem is that the same emotionally evocative and manipulative mental framework that says "god = goodness" will tell a person "no god = removal of goodness". Within its internal framework, this makes sense. It's not that people are being entirely irrational - it's that their intellectual framework is incomplete and has some concepts confabulated together.

Now, considering that polls can be easily manipulated to massage results, including just HOW you present questions, even what order you place the words in, I'm not so sure about people LITERALLY equating the trustworthiness of atheists with rapists. People who already have trouble conceptualizing "morality" without "god" may be easily mislead by the exact nature of the questions. Even unintentionally misled.

But I think it's generally true that religious people in cultures where religiosity is equated with morality, and god is equated with the very definition of good, will at best see an atheist as someone who is confused and very deluded, and not as sound of judgement as someone who believes in some kind of god.

I think the problem with equating the Christian God with morality is that the Christian God very often was involved with things that any rational person would consider immoral. Binding of Isaac, tormenting of Job, etc. Morality does not exist because some preternatural force guides our actions, it exists because human beings are capable of freely making choices, steps and thoughts in forming our actions. Moreover, morality exists because of evolutionary and psychosocial reasons, so perhaps using the reasoning that God exists, therefore morality exists is an inverse argument. Can we not say that modern human beings evolved to become moral creatures, to feel and understand pain, apart from other hominids, and created belief systems as a symbolic signifier of a more deeply rooted psychological behavior?

Grinchy

Banned
How annoying. Of the people I know, I seem to be the only one open to suggest that there isn't a bearded man who lounges in the clouds who purposely designed everything we see. I'm also one of the most moral people of the bunch with the strictest values. Suck it, study.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it funny that a lot of religious people forgot the genocide in the past and how priests did some raping in their time too.

Especially in my country's history, lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Religion is a big red herring when it comes to morality. It's a complete mistake to equate the two.

I know the kindest, sweetest atheists... who would do the right thing even if no one was looking.

And I know asshole religious people.

The immoral "fantasy atheist" in the mind of a religious person has ALWAYS been 100% imagined... it has NEVER been based on experience with atheists. Nice atheists don't advertise that they are atheists, so the religious never get to equate atheism with the good people they have a around them day to day.

etiolate

Banned
There's actually an interesting discussion about whether humans need faith to be able to trust each other and how atheism deals with that problem.

But instead its another echo chamber.

Orayn

There's actually an interesting discussion about whether humans need faith to be able to trust each other and how atheism deals with that problem.

I'm not averse to having that discussion: The answer is that humans are naturally good at forming factions and excluding others. In this case, some religious people have been taught that atheists are immoral and evil, and thus do not trust them.

Change all that to "mutants" and you're now in the X-Men universe!

Except we have no X-Men. :(

etiolate

Banned
I'm not averse to having that discussion: The answer is that humans are naturally good at forming factions and excluding others. In this case, some religious people have been taught that atheists are immoral and evil, and thus do not trust them.

Except we have no X-Men. :(

Your response doesn't have to do with the proposed problem. Humans are social and communal, and from that they need to trust each other. If faith is important to trust for the human species then how do atheists work within that?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I fail to see how we need faith to trust each other.

I don't need to believe the same things as another person to trust them.

I don't need to think they are running some sort of "I'll be good because I believe in God" game in order to actually be good.

msv

Your response doesn't have to do with the proposed problem. Humans are social and communal, and from that they need to trust each other. If faith is important to trust for the human species then how do atheists work within that?
You're confusing different meanings of 'faith' here.

- confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
- belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact. <- And religious faith is an unfalsifiable hypothesis, without a justification/precedence. A bit more specific than this.

I don't see how it's a question even. One is having faith in a random truthclaim without having anything to support it, the other is having faith/trust that a person will behave according to expectations within tolerance, which can be supported by empirical evidence, statistics etc.

The questions they ask are so stupid I don't know if I can even draw any meaningful conclusions from it. Would it be a teacher, a rapist teacher, or an atheist teacher? Really? That's your scientific question. So stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom