• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Submerged |OT| Would You Kindly? [Currently $6.79 on Steam]

Trouble

Banned
A bit odd that this game releases in just over 12 hours and it's not purchasable on Steam or PSN (not sure about Xbox).

kevin1025

Banned
Of note is the PS4 version has some minor to moderate frame drops/"chugging" when moving through the city as fast as possible in the boat--high speed + switching to the spyglass would usually cause it to drop a few frames. It's nothing that would make me recommend against buying the game at all, but it seems possible the PC version is preferable due to that.

I really enjoyed your video, I may end up going PS4 since it's tomorrow rather than Friday and also it's where I play most of everything.

kevin1025

Banned
I can't tell because my trophies wouldnt sync. I got like 6 trophies but the game doesnt appear on my trohpy list which is weird

It might be a weird case of the trophies being active but not on the server yet. I don't know how it works, but that does sounds odd!

SerTapTap

I can't tell because my trophies wouldnt sync. I got like 6 trophies but the game doesnt appear on my trohpy list which is weird

Every pre-release game is like this on PS4 unless they publish the trophy list early. You keep the trophies, but you can't see the full list on your PS4 until it's published. Pain in the butt

SerTapTap

A bit odd that this game releases in just over 12 hours and it's not purchasable on Steam or PSN (not sure about Xbox).

Indie preorders are very rare on PSN (almost only for PLAY promo and SCE/SMS published indies), most don't even have a page up in advance, like Submerged doesnt'. I think no preorder is common on PC as well. Plus it has a launch week discount, so being able to buy early on Xbox One is a mixed blessing

Aces&Eights

Hmmm, I never know with games like this. Bought Brothers: ATOTS and loved it. Bought Child of Light and hatred it. Decisions, decisions.

That Destructoid review told me everything I need to know about this game. Pity, it was on my anticipated list due to its theme and setting, and now I know it doesn't even deliver on that part. I'll probably get it down the line on summer/autumn/winter STEAM sale just for the premise alone.

FelipeMGM

Every pre-release game is like this on PS4 unless they publish the trophy list early. You keep the trophies, but you can't see the full list on your PS4 until it's published. Pain in the butt

Oh, I see. I'm more used to get triple A or bigger digital games before release, and they all had their trophy list up early as well.

Trouble

Banned
Indie preorders are very rare on PSN (almost only for PLAY promo and SCE/SMS published indies), most don't even have a page up in advance, like Submerged doesnt'. I think no preorder is common on PC as well. Plus it has a launch week discount, so being able to buy early on Xbox One is a mixed blessing

I can't remember any other indie game I had pre-launch interest in not being available for pre-order on PSN.

SerTapTap

I can't remember any other indie game I had pre-launch interest in not being available for pre-order on PSN.

You probably haven't been interested in many small ones. Stuff published by Sony is up early for the most part, almost nothing else is. Even retail titles often aren't. It's been a constant problem when trying to include store links when I make reviews

Discount is live on XB1.

Still unsure if I want to buy it or not. Impressions are all over the place it seems.
Personally...I would spend my money elsewhere. I know that's a bit odd for an OP to say of the game he made an OT of, and I'm only one opinion, but still. There are better ways to spend your money in the upcoming weeks. On PSN, you could get Galak-Z or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and on XBOX, the money spent on this could get you halfway to the price of Rare Replay. If you're interested, I'd wait until there's a deep discount during the next Steam sale.

chadskin

Videogamer - 5/10
Submerged feels like a concept rather than a complete game. What's here is so slight, the story so flimsy, that it left almost no impression on me. I didn't enjoy it, but neither did I hate it. Looking back on the experience, I'm completely apathetic towards it. Should you play it? I really don't care one way or the other.

Guess I'll skip this one for now and just get Everybody's Gone to the Rapture next week.

SerTapTap

Once it's up on all stores I'll post my "walkthrough" (which is basically a map), though I'm missing a couple item locations if anyone can help.

Personally...I would spend my money elsewhere. I know that's a bit odd for an OP to say of the game he made an OT of, and I'm only one opinion, but still. There are better ways to spend your money in the upcoming weeks. On PSN, you could get Galak-Z or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and on XBOX, the money spent on this could get you halfway to the price of Rare Replay. If you're interested, I'd wait until there's a deep discount during the next Steam sale.

I'm probably one of the more positive voices in here, but yeah waiting for a sale isn't a poor idea. Though for $16 I think it's not too bad, but only if you really love this kind of stuff and have already played your Journeys and Flowers and have already preordered Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

I know Journey is a pretty high bar, but Journey managed to tell a more interesting story in a similar (but more interesting) way. The exploring and the pretty are what this has going for it, could have been a lot more with a fleshed out story.

Haunted

The soundtrack is pleasant, the atmosphere is nice, I like the "sunken metropolis" environment. Driving around in the boat is fun.

But the climbing/platforming, which makes up the core gameplay for a majority of the time, is really really dull. The animations aren't good enough, the transitions aren't good enough, it's not dynamic and there's no thought or strategy to it.

I've only played a little under an hour, but it simply hasn't grabbed me at all. I don't think the hook here is strong enough.

Hmmm, I never know with games like this. Bought Brothers: ATOTS and loved it. Bought Child of Light and hatred it. Decisions, decisions.
Those are three very different games and I see no contradiction between liking Brothers (3D coop platformer with unique controls) but not Child of Light (turn based RPG with beautiful 2D art style), as well as no correlation for whether you'll like this one (a 3D exploration game with climbing and platforming). :D

Hardcore Gamer destroyed the game.

1/5

Most reviews tend to start out with some sort of sweeping generality about how Game X fits into the gaming landscape in Manner Y. It’s something everyone does, and in a way it’s something that I’m currently doing right now. Sometimes, however, you just have to quit beating around the bush and say what comes to mind for the sake of the reader, no matter how blunt it may seem. It’s for this reason that this next statement might sting a little, but saying it is for the best:

Submerged is a disaster.

By combining nearly every bad video game trope into a package that feels like it desperately wants to be held in the same regard as Journey or The Unfinished Swan, Submerged finds a way to fail in every way imaginable
Where Submerged truly falters is in its gameplay design, as it commits the cardinal sin of taking extremely boring tasks and simply repeating them over and over.

If anything, I hope this thread can be a repository of thoughtful critique from those of us who play it so that if Uppercut Games gets a chance to make another game, it'll be better...

I love this type of environment with a heavy emphasis on watery abandon, always have, and the music appears to be very soothing, too. If not Journey, I wanted this to be another Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. What a pity.

By the way, is there underwater exploration in this? It seems to fit so naturally, I feel kind of stupid for even asking, but I've only seen a lot of boating and climbing so far.

Exile20

1/5

If anything, I hope this thread can be a repository of thoughtful critique from those of us who play it so that if Uppercut Games gets a chance to make another game, it'll be better...

I have never seen such harsh words thrown at a game.

Both those reviews were relentless.

I love this type of environment with a heavy emphasis on watery abandon, always have, and the music appears to be very soothing, too. If not Journey, I wanted this to be another Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. What a pity.

By the way, is there underwater exploration in this? It seems to fit so naturally, I feel kind of stupid for even asking, but I've only seen a lot of boating and climbing so far.

There is no underwater exploration from what I've seen so far. Played a couple hours and it's all above sea level.

I've been enjoying my time with it. It's nice just exploring and the game does look beautiful. I can definitely see the climbing becoming tedious though and I say that two hours in. It definitely won't be for everyone but it creates a nice ambient atmosphere with a relaxing play style.

Two more reviews. Not quite as scathing as Hardcore Gamer, but pretty bad.

The Sixth Axis - 3/10
Ultimately, what Submerged lacks is a decent hook in both its story and gameplay. With nothing in the way of substantive dialogue, I found it almost impossible to build a connection with the game’s lead character. Gameplay, on the hand, has nothing to offer in the way of complexity, presenting players with a bareboned toolset to navigate the lost city.

VideoGamer.com - 5/10
Despite small cutscenes that depict a woman slowly fading, she's no less able to scale buildings at the end as she is from the start, which makes no sense and creates a big disconnect between the story and the gameplay.
Your first trip to a building and then up it is nice enough, helped by some lovely lighting that bathes the scene in a magical glow, or watching dolphins and whales swimming alongside the boat, but 10 minutes later I'd essentially seen everything the game had to offer.
Submerged feels like a concept rather than a complete game. What's here is so slight, the story so flimsy, that it left almost no impression on me. I didn't enjoy it, but neither did I hate it. Looking back on the experience, I'm completely apathetic towards it. Should you play it? I really don't care one way or the other.

I think VideoGamer.com makes some of the critiques that made the most sense to me, pointing out the really weird disconnects in gameplay and story. Besides that, I think that review highlights the problem. The game isn't good, and it's not bad enough to warrant a playthrough to voyeuristically experience a trainwreck...it just is. It leaves you not giving a hoot either way.

SerTapTap

Here's my walkthrough/map thing, basically just map. Anyone got the boat/secret bits I'm missing?

the map itself (spoilers?)

A friend of mine, who's a games reviewer, told me that the controls are floaty as hell. What's up with that?

I mean, the boat controls are? Kinda? It's a boat. Boats float. Only control problems I had is how they handle the "walk across boards" thing, you have to push forward rather than the direction on screen, and the game handles hitting the edges of the map weirdly. Other than that, there's no jump button so I have no idea what floaty is even supposed to mean but it's pretty irrelevant in this sort of game.

Controls are the last problem even if you consider them a problem

Would be neat, but no. Gotta wait for Abzu

wouwie

Some of those reviews are brutal. I'm conflicted wether i should buy or not. Since i enjoy these types of games a lot generally speaking (loved Flower and Journey for example), i usually buy these games day one because i want to play them and because i want to support the developer (trying something different). But in this case, the somewhat higher than normal price tag combined with the very mixed reviews makes me want to wait for a sale, which is probably what i will do in this case.

More reviews rolled in, I don't recognize the site for one of them since it appears to be in Polish, but I included the translated Metacritic blurb:

Playstation Lifestyle - 5/10
Submerged’s problem is its failure to align its presentation and narrative with what you do. Because it hides so much of its narrative and history behind drawings you find as you climb, you search for detail in the minutiae of its world and characters. But there isn’t any to find. The buildings blur together, the soundtrack repeats itself over and over, and the story of the boy and the girl doesn’t resonate with the world’s visual themes of rebirth and evolution. There’s no cohesiveness to your role in the game, like your actions don’t matter, which runs antithetical to the way the game doles out its narrative through your progress.
But what Submerged attempts to do deserves the benefits of that kind of comparison, just as it deserves the damage it can do too. It’s a game that, on the surface, seems built for you to ask questions about what it presents, but once you dig a little deeper you realize it was never prepared to give you the answers. It’s not a conversation; it’s a speech.
GRYOnline.pl - 3.5/10
Submerged is a game that is not a game. A hollow shell. An empty box with huge ambitions, an ugly, badly designed, at times painfully dull product. There is no atmosphere, only boredom and embarrassment. There's enough good exploration games that you can simply avoid Submerged altogether.
Some of those reviews are brutal. I'm conflicted wether i should buy or not. Since i enjoy these types of games a lot generally speaking (loved Flower and Journey for example), i usually buy these games day one because i want to play them and because i want to support the developer (trying something different). But in this case, the somewhat higher than normal price tag combined with the very mixed reviews makes me want to wait for a sale, which is probably what i will do in this case.
People putting a low valuation on games and waiting for penny sales is always something that grinds my gears a bit. But that's only really in the case of games with amazing reception (80+), where people don't want to shell out to support good art/entertainment. With a game that has poor to mixed reception, I don't think that's really a worry here. Wait for the sale.

GeoramA

Very surprised, the launch trailer made it look amazing :(

I'll buy when it's on sale, which will probably be very soon.

FelipeMGM

1/5

More reviews rolled in, I don't recognize the site for one of them since it appears to be in Polish, but I included the translated Metacritic blurb:
GRYOnline.pl - 3.5/10

Ouch, and on monday I thought giving a 6 on my review was kinda harsh.
Its def not a good game, but you can find a few cool things about it

I guess I really liked the whales and dolphins

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Man, this is sad. I loved the trailer and the pictures, but these reviews are scary.

kevin1025

Banned
I bought the game today, the heck with bad reviews! I can see where people are coming from, but I wanted a simple, pretty game to wander around in in between bigger games. I'm happy with my purchase!

Brutal:
The dull and repetitive gameplay wears out its welcome quickly, while the clichéd storyline squanders its potential with unfocused presentation, plus a lack of depth and true world-building. This is nothing short of a catastrophe, but I hope that Uppercut Games can take the experience gained here and turn it into something actually worth playing.

SerTapTap

Rock Paper Shotgun was much more positive than most

Also my guide has a full map now thanks to an assist by DropshotEnt on Youtube

Ouch, and on monday I thought giving a 6 on my review was kinda harsh.
Its def not a good game, but you can find a few cool things about it

I guess I really liked the whales and dolphins

Pretty much depends entirely on how the world/animals/sights resonate with you. I'd play a game where you just harmlessly poke around with a ton of really cool sea creatures. Hope Abzu is something like that and more. Seeing the whale for the first time was magical IMO and I couldn't wait to get closer.

Reviews focusing on mechanics and story are bound to be negative, but I guess not everyone values the feeling of exploration and wonder.

eFKac

Shame about the reception, seems all these similar looking games (Wander, Toren, Submerged) got panned.
Looked forward to all of them, will probably only end up getting Toren on a heavy PSN discount.

SerTapTap

Shame about the reception, seems all these similar looking games (Wander, Toren, Submerged) got panned.
Looked forward to all of them, will probably only end up getting Toren on a heavy PSN discount.

The problem with this game and wander, not sure about Toren, is they feel like experimental janky attempts at a new genre except this isn't really new. Stuff like Journey and Gone Home and (arguably) Flower already exist to show this sort of game can have a pretty good impact and be well polished, even if they don't have gallons of gameplay. All of those games are more replayable too except Gone Home, and all actually have more story. Well Flower doesn't have much story, but it's told spectacularly.

After John's review of King's Quest, I don't think I'll ever be reading his reviews again. He's a petulant man-child.

I don't read enough reviews to get a feel for reviewer's personality...it's a big part of why I don't like when people who hate a genre review a game in that genre--it's misleading if I don't already know that, and why would I.

I actually don't read RPS much, just saw it float by on Twitter. What was wrong with the Kings Quest one? I ignore episodic games until they're finished.

Some of these reviews seem a bit excessive. Is the game a technical mess or do people just not enjoy the gameplay? At least the game isn't broken.

I don't read enough reviews to get a feel for reviewer's personality...it's a big part of why I don't like when people who hate a genre review a game in that genre--it's misleading if I don't already know that, and why would I.

I actually don't read RPS much, just saw it float by on Twitter. What was wrong with the Kings Quest one? I ignore episodic games until they're finished.
I don't want to derail this thread, but below are John's tweets on the subject. He's certainly welcome to his opinion, but I'm self-aware enough to know that I never need to read another review of his if his tastes are so difference compared to mine. We obviously live on different sides of the gaming world. The way he approached talking about other people's reviews just annoyed me:
I think all you need to know about the positive reviews of King's Quest is that ALL of them say the old series was great. Um, oh dear.
These reviews are the equivalent of a film review that begins, "Finally, a film to match the neglected classic Battlefield Earth."
People can like shitty games, clearly. But it makes me genuinely cross when reviewers ignore or dismiss horrendous design issues.
So far as I can tell, from this and the odd adulation Telltale's mostly decent recent games get, people just don't want to *play* games.
They want to watch them, occasionally reaching over to a controller to press X or Y to temporarily pick a slightly different story.
And this gem was written in the comments too:
Although this does seem similar to when the very mediocre Sam & Max games came out, and nearly every site reviewed their memory of the original game rather than the ones in front of them.
He really is a petulant man child. When he gets annoyed at one thing in a game's design, it seems like the game cannot make a comeback (with King's Quest he basically admits that the rest of the game after the intro was good, but still slaughters it for the intro)...and then he goes on to slaughter the game...and even worse, he not only slaughters the game in his review, but he also goes on Twitter and makes snide remarks about the reviewers who did like the game.
Some of these reviews seem a bit excessive. Is the game a technical mess or do people just not enjoy the gameplay? At least the game isn't broken.
It's a poor game. You don't have to be a broken game to get a 3 or 4. Arguably in this case:

The animations are ugly.

While the game looks pretty, on closer inspection, things like textures are ugly.

The gameplay mechanics are simple to the extreme.

Platforming isn't challenging.

There isn't much to do.

The storyline seems poor at best.

It makes the cardinal sin of being boring.

There are framerate hiccups on PS4.

Don't get those overly negative reviews at all to be honest. No, it's not Journey, but it has a nice, relaxed pace, let's you get on with and discover things naturally and kept me wanting to search out more and more of the secret items to try and piece together the story of just what happened before you take control.

Don't get those overly negative reviews at all to be honest. No, it's not Journey, but it has a nice, relaxed pace, let's you get on with and discover things naturally and kept me wanting to search out more and more of the secret items to try and piece together the story of just what happened before you take control.
I don't see what's not to get. It's fine if you like the game, but that doesn't change the general consensus that it's a pretty poorly designed and realized game.

Top Bottom